Topic: Buying a Welder, Thoughts?

It is time for me to learn to weld. Too much stuff that I'm doing would be easier if I could weld and didn't have to beg friends to do it for me.

After doing some reading, I have come to the following conclusions:

-Do not buy the cheap Harbor Freight welder, buy a good brand name welder like a Miller or a Lincoln.
-Get a MIG welder for the best combination of ease of use and good results.
-The jury is still out on 120v or 240v, but a I know a guy with a 120v Snap-On MIG125 that easily does everything that I want to do, and 120v gives me more freedom to use it wherever I want to weld stuff, so I'm leaning toward 120v unless I find a really compelling reason for 240v.

I'm currently leaning toward a Lincoln Power MIG 140; it's compact and should handle .25" steel, which is the thickest stuff that I'd want to weld with it, although most of what I weld will be much thinner. I know absolutely nothing about welding though, so any input and recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Re: Buying a Welder, Thoughts?

Every 120V welder I have ever used has gotten hot and needed a "rest" while building our cages.  We use a 220V at NSFIRHQ and it has never overheated.  That being said, I can't weld to the spreader plates to the floors without having to be uber careful of not burning a hole through the floors.  Our 220V welder just cannot be turned down enough. 

Jay reminds me that I am the second worst welder on earth, behind him, every chance he gets.  Most of the hits are on the spreader plates when we fail tech.  My solution is to buy another welder that is a little cooler, a 120V.

This space for rent.

3 (edited by gm2 2013-01-31 08:55 AM)

Just recently bought my second welder after making the Harbor Freight mistake.

I considered the Lincoln 140, and decided against it for the Miller 211 for these reasons:

The 211 is 110/220V- easily changeable plug.  Yes, you can tell a big difference between the two.  It welds much better on 220, but has the versatility to work on 110 for welding thin stuff or when you are limited by being at a track.
Expensive ($1100), but still cheaper than buying yet another welder that doesn't quite do everything I need
Miller/Hobart parts are easy to find and inexpensive at Northern Tool (a few minutes from my house).
Still small enough to transport fairly easily.

And the number 1 reason: AUTOSET!!!  Turn 1 knob and start welding.  I'm a terrible welder, and this feature makes me look less like a noob.

Knoxvegas Lowballers  Metro SVT, Multi-Powertrain-Van, The Hooptiecorn
2013 - Heroic Fix, Judge's Choice, Heroic Fix       2014 - IOE,Class-C Win
2015- Judge's Choice, Class B Win,Class A/Overall Win     2016- Org. Choice, B

rmcdaniels wrote:

I'm currently leaning toward a Lincoln Power MIG 140; it's compact and should handle .25" steel, which is the thickest stuff that I'd want to weld with it, although most of what I weld will be much thinner. I know absolutely nothing about welding though, so any input and recommendations are appreciated.

It can handle .25" steel with flux core wire.  Flux core wire is very dirty and gives off a lot of splatter.  The most I would want to do with that welder with MIG/gas is .120" and that is with a 20% duty cycle - weld for a minute, wait for 5. 

There are a lot of good welding topics on here look around.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

I looked at the Miller-Matic, loved it but just didn't have the $$$.
Went with the Lincoln 140, very pleased with it.
I can easily lug it over to my buddy's house and weld.
Don't buy an El-Cheapo welder.

'ported, relieved, with bored-out arm rests, and oversize seat covers.

RobL wrote:

It can handle .25" steel with flux core wire.  Flux core wire is very dirty and gives off a lot of splatter.  The most I would want to do with that welder with MIG/gas is .120" and that is with a 20% duty cycle - weld for a minute, wait for 5.

Thanks, I didn't know there was a difference. I've had some flux core welding done and it was a mess. I'll have to look at bigger welders.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

'nuther vote for the miller 211.. I just got a new one.  I had a miller "cricket" back in the day and loved it... I have a Miller syncrowave 180SD runner (TIG) too, but hardly ever use it... decided to get the 211 for all the car stuff. My friend has the equiv. Lincoln which I used to show him some tips, but still like the miller better.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

It seems like every time this topic comes up on the forum, the general advice is that 220 is preferable to 120, especially if you're going to weld structural stuff like cages. And then the next thing that comes up is to buy Miller or Lincoln (and maybe Hobart), and that's it, nothing else.

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=9323

Having first bought a 120v Northern Tool welder and then a 220v Miller, the bigger and better welder makes a world of difference. The NT welder barely ever worked right and was next to impossible to get a good weld with, whereas the Miller works the first time, every time. Dig into the couch cushions and spend the extra change on the better welder, it will be worth it in reduced frustration alone. Cheers!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Thanks for starting this thread... We're in the same boat.  Between our 3 core team members we can do everything we need but structural fabrication/welding.  We have someone to do that for us, but he isn't always available or timely (although he does great work).  So, the three of us want to learn to do some basic welding at first (not cages).

Is this the welder everyone is talking about?

Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ with MVP™
All-in-one wire welder that welds material from 24-gauge to 3/8 in. thick in a single pass.

Base Model Starting at:$1,317.00

I have found a brand new welder for sale privately on craiglist for considerably less ($800 ish), but it is the model below (TIG/Stick)

Maxstar® 150 STL
Light weight and portable DC output TIG/Stick machine that utilizes Lift Arc™ technology for TIG arc starting.

Base Model Starting at:$1,363.00

Can someone reference a thread on TIG vs MIG?  Our current fabricator actually switched from a MIG to a 3 phase TIG because he was having trouble with welding thick to thin.  No trouble with the TIG.  (I am not a welder and don't understand diddly poop)

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

10 (edited by psychoboy 2013-01-31 11:39 AM)

I have a 110v hobart handler 140 i bought from northern tool. i've built one and a half cages with it, and a bunch of other odds and ends. i run .32 wire for big jobs, and i can still turn it down enough to patch holes in sheet metal.

If i were always going to be working in my shop, I'd spring for a 220v. the one at my buddy's shop is damned nice for 1/4" frame work.  But, since i needed portable (i bring my fabrication shop to the paddock), i went with the 110.

it's slower, sure. you can't throw miles of wire at a badly cut joint for a hour, but that just teaches you to make better joints.

also....get a good extension cord.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

With sufficient practice (and I can't emphasize that enough) TIG will let you do absolutely beautiful, high-quality welds on just about anything.   But it is slooooooow.   MIG is much more "user friendly", and will let you do acceptable welds in less time, with a faster learning curve.

Personally, I'm a TIG guy and I did the entire Super Snipe cage with it.   Even though it was my first cage, people have told me that it is very nice.   But it probably took me twice (or more) longer than if I had used MIG.

If you are an absolute welding beginner, I suggest that you start with MIG.

If you have a lot of gas (oxy/acetylene) welding experience, you will probably find it easier to transition to TIG.   The skills are very comparable, with the only big difference being the heat source.

And, as almost everyone else says, buy Miller or Lincoln.   It's a bigger up-front cost, but you will be far happier.   Not only in the long run, but during the learning experience.

Also, buy the best auto-darkening helmet you can get (I got the Miller Digital Elite and love it).   It will make your learning experience much easier.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

TIG uses an electrical arc from a torch to heat the metal.  A metal rod is then manually fed into metal puddle to fill it.  TIG makes beautiful strong welds but is very slow.
http://image.mustangandfords.com/f/2649 … ng_gun.jpg

MIG has fill metal continuously fed into the torch itself and the welder makes the electrical arc from the feed wire to the material being welded. 
http://www.gowelding.org/images/WeldSki … emoved.jpg

I do not recommend TIG for our general applications.  I own a TIG and it doesn't get used.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

I can't offer an opinion on Lincoln, never had or used one. 

I've had 4 Millers though.  2 were engine powered stick welders and 2 are plugin mig welders.  My first mig was a 110v, .022 gauge welder.  It is called the Sidekick and I bought it probably 30 years ago.  It has never given me any  problems.  I've done 4 cages and 2 flatbed trailers with it.  The above poster is right about the short duty cycle on the 110v models.  It is very good on thin materials like fenders, truck beds and such. It will do the thicker material but is slow compared to a 220v model.  Also, it will run on a Honda 2000i genny on full throttle.  Which is handy at the track.  Sometimes a new build will need extra attention after tech or after a few laps.  I never use flux wire.  CO2 is my choice.  I've seen some on here use CO2/argon mix but I've never needed the argon.

My welder of choice is the Millermatic 180, 220v, .030 gauge wire.  Naturally, it is a hotter setup and it has a longer duty cycle.  It won't do the very thin material but for .095/.120 cages it works great.  It has good penetration and it's easy to adjust the settings.  It's not the auto set but getting the right feed and heat range is not a problem.

I've never used a dual voltage welder.  My concern would be the wire size and do you need to change it when changing voltages and does that require changing the wire housing or are you stuck with small wire even though you are running at 220v.

You know you're opening a can of worms.  Along with a welder you might need a way to form the material like grinders, a cutoff saw, maybe a notcher, also a way to cut plate... a torch or a plasma cutter or a band saw.  We have all 3.  Our choice for cutting plate is the plasma cutter because it's fast and cheap to use as opposed to buying acetylene and oxygen.

I bought the biggest 110 Lincoln Welder on the market back when i was 19...that was over 15 years ago (sidebar: now I feel old).  I have used that welder for everything.  When I first bought it, it was flux core only, and I even used it for some (very bad) body work.  It was fine, you just have to adjust to the extra slag and not as pretty welds.  About 7 or 8 years I finally plunked down for the bottle, and love it.  I have welded .25 material with full penetration, it just takes extra long, or you have to be able to access both sides.  I even have used it to "cut" material up to 3/8 diameter (basically heat it up with the feed speed way down). 

Occassionally I bump up against the 20% duty cycle, and have to let it cool down a bit.  But it's a minor inconvenience, not really a seriuos annoyance. 

I have owned and used this welder for 15 years.  I have carted it all the way across the country and welded stuff on the sand at Burning Man with it.  I have taken it to ~10 Lemons/ Chump races and used it at every one.  It gets tossed in my truck and taken with me everywhere- sometimes I swap back in the flux core if I don't want to bother transporting the bottle.  After 15 years, countless full spools of wire, many bottles of gas, and more pairs of welding gloves than I can count, I would totally make that purchase again in a heartbeat.  The only things I have replaced on the welder were:

- The grounding clamp, which eventually broke after about 14 years.  I bought a heavier-duty one from Tractor Supply for $15.
- After taking it to Burning Man in 2008, the playa sand caked the inside of the wire feed cable and caused it to rust, so I replaced that.
- Pretty sure I replaced the wire feed wheels at one point, maybe 5 years back.  They were cheap.

I've broken a few welding helmets and more than one gas gauge, too. 

A buddy of mine found a barely used setup at a garage sale for $75- same as mine, without the gas.  That was the steal of the year.  I paid ~400 for my setup, and the equivalent unit is now like 600.  If you can find a good used unit, that's the way I'd go.  I've totally abused mine, it shows, and it still works great.  So if you find a used one that looks cosmetically good, chances are it'll be a good purchase, even if you have to replace a wire feed spool or a cable or something.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Another vote for a miller with autoset.  I have an old heavy 220 miller that has been awesome.  My old boss bought a new a miller autoset 212?, i laughed at the autoset until i used it. It was unbelievable! So nice to have the wire speed vary (to what you need) as you go.  The dual voltage plug option is well worth it.  It does really well on 110 but for cages you should really use 220.  The autoset is awesome unless you are welding upside down.  Then its horrible and you have to learn to weld.  Get the wire speed right and its really really nice to use.

Definitely try one out if you can.  When i was at sema I tried out an ESAB mig (the model in competition with the miller, lincoln, and others) expecting it to be amazing.  The miller was so much better, you could even hear the difference.  The miller has a continuous sizzle, the ESAB had a high frequency/buzzy/almost sputtery sizzle and just didnt weld well.  It was an autoset as well.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

Thx for feedback.  That helps a ton.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

RobL wrote:

TIG uses an electrical arc from a torch to heat the metal.  A metal rod is then manually fed into metal puddle to fill it.  TIG makes beautiful strong welds but is very slow.
http://image.mustangandfords.com/f/2649 … ng_gun.jpg

MIG has fill metal continuously fed into the torch itself and the welder makes the electrical arc from the feed wire to the material being welded. 
http://www.gowelding.org/images/WeldSki … emoved.jpg

I do not recommend TIG for our general applications.  I own a TIG and it doesn't get used.

Well I have both as well and the only time I use my MIG is to weld on exhaust systems, mostly to just tack them together and then remove and TIG weld them. Welding on my trailers, and welding some parts of roll cages. 90% of the welding I do is TIG as I don't to much exhaust work or build roll cages. I also build aluminum tanks and heat exchangers so TIG is the only way to go.

Another happy Miller 211 owner/ I've used it a lot on a few cages and other projects, and I have never ran into the duty cycle/overtemp. When I first got it I didn't have access to 220v, so I used the 110v, it worked great. When I finally got the 220v up I didn't think there would be much improvement because of how well it already worked. I was wrong , just felt like a night and day difference every weld layed down even easier and nicer, even on low amp usage.

Millermatic 211 all the way. You WILL use both 110 and 220 plugs, you WILL get great welds, and it WILL last.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Like Psychoboy, we got the 110v Hobart for portability. Switchable 220/110 would be nice though.
Hobart was purchased a while ago and is now the "cheap" line from Miller - similar designs but some plastic bits in places where the Millers get metal.

Watch for deals on factory-refurbished items. We got ours at a great price that way and it has worked without a hitch. (As one would hope from a welder that got hands-on treatment at the factory twice!)

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

21 (edited by psychoboy 2013-02-01 09:03 AM)

i've heard that miller got tired of fixing the plastic bits in the hobart welders, so they stopped putting them in there.

from what i understand, the Hobart is the retail brand, Miller is the commercial brand. aside from printing on the box and the paint job, they are fairly indistinguishable.

i could be totally wrong, but that's the story the pro welding boards are telling.

i liked the fact that hobart's consumables are available at a northern tool for when you are out of town on a weekend, and the local welder's supply is closed.

as for the learning side is concerned......it's all practice. your local vo-tech could be a good step in the right direction, but once you get the basics down, the rest of it is doing.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

I weld with a small Lincoln 110V flux-core.  It can be switched to gas, but I've never gotten around to it.  I can weld pretty much anything short of cage tube.  I've done the insanely thin Honda body sheet metal up to 1/4".  The rig is very portable and quite happy doing odd jobs trackside.  Just don't expect to get the amperage you need at CMP.  It never works, even on the R/V service 30 amp plugs.  I trip the entire power pole every time I try it.  We just bring a generator with us for the welder and air compressor.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

NSF wrote:

Every 120V welder I have ever used has gotten hot and needed a "rest" while building our cages.  We use a 220V at NSFIRHQ and it has never overheated.  That being said, I can't weld to the spreader plates to the floors without having to be uber careful of not burning a hole through the floors.  Our 220V welder just cannot be turned down enough. 

Jay reminds me that I am the second worst welder on earth, behind him, every chance he gets.  Most of the hits are on the spreader plates when we fail tech.  My solution is to buy another welder that is a little cooler, a 120V.

I have a Snap on 110v that has 100% duty cycle. It never over heats no matter how long I have welded. All I've ever replaced on it in about 5 years are the tips and shield, but for the $$ I put out for it it better be good.

It Ain't My Fault

Figure out some of the mig welders you would be happy with, then check Craigslist in your area. There are welders popping up there all the time. Hobbyist's who sell them off with little use and at half price. Lots of deals if you are patient.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

mackwagon wrote:

Figure out some of the mig welders you would be happy with, then check Craigslist in your area. There are welders popping up there all the time. Hobbyist's who sell them off with little use and at half price. Lots of deals if you are patient.

2nd the CL comment.
Since I don't have 240V in my basement/garage, I went looking for a decent (non HF) 140V MIG welder (Hobart, Lincoln, Miller, etc).

I found a guy willing to trade the kit you can basically get at Lowes for $525-550.
Near as I can figure it, the guy valued his Lincoln 140 unit  w/ the regulator/spare tips/gas bits, most of a 10LB spool of flux core wire, but without a tank for $300-350.
Considering I wasn't using the item and my acquisition cost was a fraction of this value, it worked out for me. When I was shopping though a lot of what i saw was that kind of discount (50-60% off from hobbyists).

-g

PS. I'm quite happy with my Lincoln EasyMIG 140. I picked up a 40CF Argon/CO tank, a HF autodimming mask, and some .25" and .35" solid core wire and it works like a charm. While I'm not ready to trust my neck to any cage I'd build with this, I've been able to use it to fabricate my cowl hood and tack down other things in my house (leg from the collapsable laundry drying rack broke off? No problem).

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4