Re: Buying a Welder, Thoughts?

Dave wrote:
NSF wrote:

Every 120V welder I have ever used has gotten hot and needed a "rest" while building our cages.  We use a 220V at NSFIRHQ and it has never overheated.  That being said, I can't weld to the spreader plates to the floors without having to be uber careful of not burning a hole through the floors.  Our 220V welder just cannot be turned down enough. 

Jay reminds me that I am the second worst welder on earth, behind him, every chance he gets.  Most of the hits are on the spreader plates when we fail tech.  My solution is to buy another welder that is a little cooler, a 120V.

I have a Snap on 110v that has 100% duty cycle. It never over heats no matter how long I have welded. All I've ever replaced on it in about 5 years are the tips and shield, but for the $$ I put out for it it better be good.

My friend has a snap-on and has similar results.

This space for rent.

Seeing a guy work with a Snap-On Mig125 was actually where I based my guess as to how much power I'd need. He welds pretty much anything and never has to stop.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

I have an older Northern Tool 140 MIg Welder, probably about 8 years old. It's seen light use up until now. Other than the spool tension being ridiculously bad (future 3D printer project)  it has been a ridiculously good welder for the price. Penetrates, fires off and rather easy to set-up. That being said, who knows what NT's quality control is, I think I got mine when NT was first making welders so the quality would have been kept at a higher level according to most business practices.

Captain of Virtuous Authority and Tool Underdevelopment: Escape Velocity Racing
- Ten+ Time Loser
- IOE, Heroic Fix, Class C and Class of 1964
- Heroic Beer Drinker

I've got a Miller-matic 180 Mig and love it.  I like having infinite adjust for voltage/wire feed and have never found myself needing more than 180 amps for anything I would need to do.  Ultimately, if it is something that requires full penetration on more than 3/8" steel then I probably shouldn't be trusted to weld it.  I certainly consider myself a novice welder but with a little practice and consideration as to where your heat is going it has not given me any problems welding 3/16" plate to the E30 unibody (this is not a spreader plate, relax):

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/6096/73778448666604470511520.jpg

I also have a TIG but it only comes out when doing something that absolutely requires it.

The smaller Millers are Hobart designs that are gradually morphing into pure Miller machines...       I have used a Miller Challenger 172, a Miller 180 with Auto Set and our work-horses are Miller 252s.. All have been quality, easy to use machines that are durable..     I still own them all, and all still work well.  One of the 252s had an issue with the wire feed motor and it was fixed under warranty (with a loaner welder!) after 3 years of daily commercial use.     All are 220v.

I have tried to use cheap welders at race tracks and other peoples shops/houses...  And find I cannot weld with them...   

I guess this shows that I'm really not a good welder, and just have great machines....

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Hmm, I just saw a 252 on CL for $1200.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Just picked this puppy up from Craigslist for only $600.  Like new condition, included a tank, a cart and an upgraded gun.  1/2 the price of the Miller.

If you gotta buy new, you can get good deals here: http://store.cyberweld.com/migwelders.html

But I say buy used.  You're gonna need the extra $$$ for all the other toys you're gonna buy.

http://i.imgur.com/gJcF9pT.jpg

+1 for watching craigslist....  a buddy of mine picked up a $150 "air compressor/welder" that the owner could not make work at all for him.

turns out....it was a 110V hypertherm plasma cutter with an onboard compressor. nearly new.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Another vote for the dual voltage units:  Lincoln 180, Hobart 210MVP, Miller 211 MVP.  The Chicom welders(Everlast is the brand I know) seems to be more developed with the TIG units than the MIG, so I would suggest staying American for a MIG at present.  Or European; the Snap-on and some of the other units are Italian, or at least were for the contract units I saw.  Snap-on. Craftsman and other tool companies contract out their welders on a bid basis and so they could be made anywhere.  The Century unit above is Lincoln's offshore brand.  Nothing wrong with them, quite a bit of the "Chinese" welders are fabricated from Euro and other parts, Chinese labor just does the assembly.

Where the Chicom stuff typically comes up short is commercial service.  No dealer base means you have to ship everything back.  That's a no-go for a business, and it may be a problem for a hobbiest, depends on the user, obviously.  That said, I haven't had any issue with my Chicom welder (Everlast 160STH, similar to Miller 150 Maxstar except has HF start), but I try to treat my equipment nicely.  160amp HF TIG and SMAW for $450 has been a good value so far. 

I have or have had Miller, Lincoln, Thermal Dynamics, Everlast, Pow-con and Airco welders or plasma cutters. So far, I've had best "luck" with the Lincolns, but I have had no real problems with any of them.  I did feel a little let down on a Miller product that they no longer make parts for, but it's an entry level item and I can't really  get excited about it.  I could have fabbed a replacement part, but I had a buddy who I foisted it onto instead:)   S/F.....Ken M