Topic: cram this in your brain hole:

http://www.me.ua.edu/me364/PDF/Steering_Ackerman.pdf

why build something that works when you can engineer it to death?

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Re: cram this in your brain hole:

I race R/C cars as well and we take Ackerman into account all the time. I totally understood its affects, pros and cons... Until I read this paper.

On simpler cars where ackerman isn't adjustable, we'd just add a touch of toe out - 1 or 2 degrees at most... Beyond that, the car may wander a little in a straight line. Granted that is in a 1/10 scale car doing scale speeds of 230MPH. So 2 degrees would likely not hurt a lemon.... And without any track data, I can't see it helping laptimes. Putting effort on not breaking down is probably better for race results.

Thanks for helping me avoid working for the last 30 minutes though!

Blackmaven MotorSports -  Supporting the United Leukodystrophy Foundation - www.ulf.org
FOR SALE! '68 Ford Cortina - BUY ME HERE!
'04 Mitsu in the works
BlackmavenMotorsports on Facebook

this came up in a discussion on my home board involving a custom framed 300zx project.

the builder recently found that the balancer on his engine and his steering rack are going to conflict, so he's trying to decide between losing some ackerman by pushing the rack forward, or building some big assed bump steer correctors to lower the rack.

i think we've decided that the ackerman effect is more useful at low speeds and tight turns, and for his track-ish car, it's not going to be a huge loss.

i started thinking about bumpsteer...and body roll....and decided that if designed right, you can use the two to create a dynamic ackerman. as the body rolls and loads the outside tire, the inside tire could lose steering angle. high speed corners (sweepers) see little body roll and are happier with a static toe out. low speed corners (tight stuff) see lots of body roll and are happier with a static toe in.

a design that created toe in as the body rolled could be the best of both worlds, but you'd be stuck with a static toe out and trying to sort sway bar rates and spring rates to get the car to roll just right.

and then you'd drive on substandard tarmac with low grip tires, and all the above math would go out the window anyway.

Team OK-Speed

Says the guy with experience driving the connector at the season ender.  Am I right?

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

all i know is....i only ever followed one car thru the pothole section....i can't believe i didn't lose the windshield on that lap.

Team OK-Speed