Topic: SCCA Classing question..

Ok guys and gals. 

I know this is Lemons and Lemons' FORUM, but...

I am trying to get my cone killing beast registered for local autocross carnage.  It's been many times before, normally as Novice class, or once as a local group class.  It would appear that I have now used all of my novice punk cards, and besides that, would like to finally class it.

My steam roller of choice:
1978 Olds Delta 88 - for all mechanical purposes, stock.  (no, not BS, bribed level stock, really stock)

Any suggestions?

Oh, and if I brought the car a few years ago to Charlotte, and ran it as the Pace Car/Judgemobile, then run it at local Autocross, would that count for the "Show your Lemons swag at a real organized racing event and earn a get out of jail free card?"

2011 - "Southern Discomfort" / "Shine Country Classic - Charleston "9" 88 Mustang
2011 - "Where the Elite Meet to Cheat" - Official Pace Car - 1978 Olds Holiday 88
2012 - Fall CMP - WE MADE IT!  - 90/86 Mustang
2013 - "Southern Discomfort" - #21 Purolator Mustang

Re: SCCA Classing question..

V8, right?

If the car is genuinely SCCA Solo Stock legal, it would fall into F-Stock. The car isn't classified (can't imagine why no one asked for it to be), so it falls under a "Not Otherwise Classified" catch-all for V8 sedans.

Assistant Tape Unroller - Team OK-Speed

It will probably be classed with a bunch of stuff that it shouldn't be classed with, but you will still look way more awesome then the other cars so who cares.

As for show your lemon swag, does the car have a Lemons sticker on it, then yes, if not you can always just where a Lemons shirt or one of the stickers and then it counts.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

FDWheelMan wrote:

1978 Olds Delta 88 - for all mechanical purposes, stock.  (no, not BS, bribed level stock, really stock)

Any suggestions?

Cage, gutted, lightened, exhaust, race seat, etc.?   What exactly have you done? 

--Rob
(Local SCCA classing expert - no seriously - I was solo chairman and the Philadelphia Region's President)

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Yeah, Rob can tell you exactly what's what if you're honest about your car.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

He posted about this before and if I remember right its his daily driver 78 olds cutlass holiday, so I'm guessing full interior no cage.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

JimR wrote:

V8, right?

If the car is genuinely SCCA Solo Stock legal, it would fall into F-Stock. The car isn't classified (can't imagine why no one asked for it to be), so it falls under a "Not Otherwise Classified" catch-all for V8 sedans.

Full intact interior then this post is 100% correct. 

Assuming street tires, then you would also qualify for STX (engine 3.1L to 5.1L) or STU (engine over 5.1L).

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

RobL wrote:
FDWheelMan wrote:

Any suggestions?

Cage, gutted, lightened, exhaust, race seat, etc.?   What exactly have you done? 

--Rob
(Local SCCA classing expert - no seriously - I was solo chairman and the Philadelphia Region's President)

Honest answer:

No cage.
Not lightened with anything that wouldn't have been avail on factory order sheet - Does have aluminum hood
Original factory bucket seats
Exhaust - true dual with 2.25 pipe, no cats, and Summit H-Pipe.

Only things that would have never been available as THIS car left the factory:
1. Hurst Dual Gate shifter - Taken from a 79 Hurst Olds.  Fit factory console, looks VERY factory.  Replaced T-Handle factory shifter.
2. Holley 600CFM 4BBL Carb - Originally equipped with a Rochester 4BBL
3. 235/60R15 tires - Original was 205/70R15
4. Exhaust - was originally single with 2.25 pipe.  Never offered in true dual.
5. Tachometer
6. Aluminum hood - Available on OTHER 1978 Delta 88s, in fact that is where it came from.
7. K&N Air Filter - we all know a K&N adds like 50 HP just bolting it on.

Rear springs are Moog Cargo Coils, but they aren't staying.  Front springs are original 1978 Delta 88 springs.

It is a 350 Oldsmobile Motor (5.7 liters) - factory stock.

2011 - "Southern Discomfort" / "Shine Country Classic - Charleston "9" 88 Mustang
2011 - "Where the Elite Meet to Cheat" - Official Pace Car - 1978 Olds Holiday 88

BoB wrote:

He posted about this before and if I remember right its his daily driver 78 olds cutlass holiday, so I'm guessing full interior no cage.

Correct.  Full interior.  Everything works, and as it would have been when it was driven off of the dealers lot.  Only interior modifications - Stereo upgrade and power seat rail setup for driver's seat.

RobL wrote:
JimR wrote:

V8, right?

Full intact interior then this post is 100% correct. 

Assuming street tires, then you would also qualify for STX (engine 3.1L to 5.1L) or STU (engine over 5.1L).

Full street tires.  No questionably street tires.  I drive it to the track, drive it home, drive it to work, and drove it 4 hours one way on the same tires.  Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 raised white letter tires.

BoB wrote:

It will probably be classed with a bunch of stuff that it shouldn't be classed with, but you will still look way more awesome then the other cars so who cares.

As for show your lemon swag, does the car have a Lemons sticker on it, then yes, if not you can always just where a Lemons shirt or one of the stickers and then it counts.

I already know it will be classed with a bunch of cars that would kick my butt on a regular basis...  I enjoy the driving, not the racing.

It IS tagged with a Lemons tag, and has a "Justice" bribe tattoo on the hood.

FDWheelMan wrote:

Honest answer:

No cage.
Not lightened with anything that wouldn't have been avail on factory order sheet - Does have aluminum hood

Only things that would have never been available as THIS car left the factory:
1. Hurst Dual Gate shifter - Taken from a 79 Hurst Olds.  Fit factory console, looks VERY factory.  Replaced T-Handle factory shifter.
2. Holley 600CFM 4BBL Carb - Originally equipped with a Rochester 4BBL
6. Aluminum hood - Available on OTHER 1978 Delta 88s, in fact that is where it came from.

So these three things are not SCCA Solo Stock Class legal.  (The springs aren't either but you said you were swapping those)

Because the hood is a part from within the Delta line, and the shifter and carb are allowed under the Street Prepared rules, you would be in the E-Street Prepared class (ESP class letters). 

That said...  The odds are that no one is going to say anything locally if you run in FS or STU especially since the car is old and you are on street tires (not 200 treadwear racing tires).

Sweet!

Thanks for the info.  Now to get it ready for a little parking lot carnage.