Re: well that sucks...

Type44 wrote:
mechimike wrote:

Methinks (or, at least, mehopes) that this rule will create an explosion (pun intended) of creative, interesting, and most importantly, dangerous bicycle-based transportation inventions.

Sort of like how the early EPA fuel economy requirements killed off the large station wagon and led to the explosion (again, pun intended) of massive SUVs plying America's highways.  If we as a country are good at anything, it's legislating to encourage unintended consequences.

What he said. If Rally Baby and Speedycop got rules written with them in mind, I can't wait to see what the reaction is going to be to my 60" penny-farthing pedal bike under construction. Always nice to have another use besides Tour de Fat for that one...

I think some of you guys would be right at home at a scooter rally. Pitbike shenanigans all night, but the pit bikes are 200cc Italian 2 strokes with Malossi overbores and enough compression to break a leg. And there is no race in the morning, just a speedy convoy on the bikes...

Where does one get the giant front wheel for a penny farthing? I mean without breaking the bank? The only high wheeled bikes I have seen online are $800 or more. Why I can buy a car for that, or several motorcycles.

http://www.hiwheel.com/antique_replicas … andard.htm

Even the Coker with the 36" wheel was more than $500, and is NLA now.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Well, I never said it was going to be cheap... Sourcing a wheel and tire is indeed the stumbling block to building a good high wheeler.  This project is far enough down my list o'stuff that it will realistically never see the light of day... But talk of pedal powered pit beasts brought it back to the foreground of my brain space.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Bummer! I was going to bring a  nice new Honda ZA50 replica, in an attempt, to sell it at Sears Pointless, but now I guess that is pointless!

Tired Iron Racing, Class A Winner of 2023 Days of Thunder & the Hooptie-Con Engine heat Cooking Competition, otherwise just a 50x loser, which is somehow able to finish in the top ten, if we don't step on our own dicks.

well, I cant say Im too surprised, they have insurance on what is basically a booze fest with fuel and fire added in. We used to hop in the golf cart and go socialize, guess we with either walk or find alternative non motorized transport.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

I hesitate to even mention this in time for the PTB to react, but I can see drunken big wheel racing up next.  A way to push the boundaries of smart behavior will be found.  big_smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrc7Q2RZoHU

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

56 (edited by fleming95 2013-02-08 01:18 PM)

Sigh - still remember getting handed those juiced-up gummy bears from the Lemonlimo at my first 'race' at Sears - then Fartinis - and thinking "what a great bunch of people" -  looks like we'll need to team up and push the cars around the pits from now on!

(and the one slightly silly thing is that, at Sears, you could have had an impromptu night mud rally on the 1000+ acres up back of the track!  Definitely wouldn't have wanted to dig up the roads and cause grief to the great guys at Sears, but. . . there wasn't a rule against it. . . .!)

Being dragged on a creeper board behind the Bimmervitch single speed bike around Sears Point pits still OK?

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Parkwod60 wrote:

Where does one get the giant front wheel for a penny farthing? I mean without breaking the bank? The only high wheeled bikes I have seen online are $800 or more.

http://www.unicycle.com/unicycle-hardwa … 2-rim.html

Between this, tire, tube, spokes and hub, you can get a nice wheel for just under $250.

This site also sells the bearing clamps so you cay DIY your own frame.

It's the only way I roll...

http://i.imgur.com/Bso8LFP.jpg

Jer wrote:

I hesitate to even mention this in time for the PTB to react, but I can see drunken big wheel racing up next.  A way to push the boundaries of smart behavior will be found.  big_smile

They're $50, and Made in the USA!

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Wheels-inch-T … B0001A866O

Everyone buy one for the next race!

I have fond memories of my old Big Wheel.  There's a picture somewhere of my dad and both grandfathers putting together a Big Wheel for me one Christmas back in the early 1980's...as I recall there's a few Manhattans somewhere in the picture too. 

I used to ride up to the top of the hill on my parents' driveway and come speeding down, hell bent for leather, crank the handlebars to the side and see how far I could slide without crashing into the garage door.  The garage door was replaced shortly after I outgrew or destroyed the Big Wheels.

Born to be Lemons.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

60 (edited by X-args 2013-02-08 02:40 PM)

Cue 'Buck Naked on a Big Wheel!'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCMdPQtvE3w

'Don't want no Green Machine!'

mechimike wrote:
Jer wrote:

They're $50, and Made in the USA!

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Wheels-inch-T … B0001A866O

Everyone buy one for the next race!

I have fond memories of my old Big Wheel.  There's a picture somewhere of my dad and both grandfathers putting together a Big Wheel for me one Christmas back in the early 1980's...as I recall there's a few Manhattans somewhere in the picture too. 

I used to ride up to the top of the hill on my parents' driveway and come speeding down, hell bent for leather, crank the handlebars to the side and see how far I could slide without crashing into the garage door.  The garage door was replaced shortly after I outgrew or destroyed the Big Wheels.

Born to be Lemons.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

Speedycop wrote:

You'll never take me alive, coppers!

Oh the ironing.

Team OK-Speed : Civic Tape-R and Spec Piñata (RIP)
2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas - I Got Screwed || 2012 Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas - Judges Choice
2012 North Dallas Hooptie - Personal Scolding from Jay "Award" || 2012 Heaps in the Heart of Texas - Judges Choice
2014 Shine Country Classic - Heroic Fix || 2015 Doing Time in Joliet - Class B Win!

You're missing the obvious loophole: you can drive your powered-whatever anywhere you want as long as it passes outside the facility on its way there.

And you call yourselves racers...

Scott

I see this rule getting promptly retracted after the third person splits his skull from falling, drunk, off of a 10-foot unicycle.

That, or Lemons crowd will end up winning Sikorsky HPH prize, revolutionizing personal air, ground, and sea travel, and ensuring physical fitness of the next generation of Americans.

I'm betting on the unicycle split skull theory.

K Car Stalker

firegremlin wrote:

I see this rule getting promptly retracted after the third person splits his skull from falling, drunk, off of a 10-foot unicycle.

That, or Lemons crowd will end up winning Sikorsky HPH prize, revolutionizing personal air, ground, and sea travel, and ensuring physical fitness of the next generation of Americans.

Or they ban unicycles

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

firegremlin wrote:

Seeing that Lemons is half engineers, I give 3 months to air travel. Followed by live feed from an overhead pedal copter.

hoverducky wrote:

You're missing the obvious loophole: you can drive your powered-whatever anywhere you want as long as it passes outside the facility on its way there.

And you call yourselves racers...

Scott

First thing I thought of.  The second thing I thought of is another rule change.

The LeMony solution...

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af172/kirchbed/stopsnitchin_zps53444a1d.jpg

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

RogueLeader wrote:
firegremlin wrote:

Or they ban unicycles

Or they mandate full Nomex and SA2005+ helmets (visor down, of course) in the paddock at all times for all racers/crew/spectators.

1984 Porsche 944 -- Miller High Life 962
1975 BMW 530i -- Jagermeister CSL, Lemons South Fall 2009 IoE Winner
www.facebook.com/rustyboltracing
www.rustyboltracing.com

RogueLeader wrote:

Or they ban unicycles

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/vader.jpg

I see ample opportunity for reenactment.

http://youtu.be/1PhUAUsGuu4

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

So, what does this mean for Friday night? Or are we counting the practice session checkered flag (aren't those at like, 3PM?)

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:

So, what does this mean for Friday night? Or are we counting the practice session checkered flag (aren't those at like, 3PM?)

How about we NOT ask them that question.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

In NY trains are specifically excluded from the definition of motor vehicles.  I'm thinking something along the lines of "these are not the pitbikes you're looking for. This is a train."

Rally Baby 87 Audi 4KQ, Audi 90 Quattro Coupe, 1975 Mercedes R107, 87 E30s, E36s, the Whorenet, Rocco...
J. Phil: "Audis Never Win".  He might be right.But!, the K Dominates 2013 NJ and NH (not, but...). 
Stafford 2011 podium, 2nd NJMP 2013, Summit Point 2012 "WV ASSimilation award"
NJMP 2012 Organizer's Choice - R107, 2013 Monticello IOE Whorenet ! Organizers, CMP fall 2013 w/NSF

Fastest non motor powered vehicle contest... Ready, set.... Build!!!

Options...

Human-powered

Wind-powered

Animal-powered

Etc...

Why are you still reading this?!?!  Get to work!

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Options...

Human-powered

Wind-powered

Animal-powered

Etc...

Are "children" considered part of the 'animal-powered' category?

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

Human vs animal.. Now we're just getting into semantics...

Racin_G73 wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Options...

Human-powered

Wind-powered

Animal-powered

Etc...

Are "children" considered part of the 'animal-powered' category?

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.