Topic: What keeps you going?

Beer?  Bacon?  Scantily clad women? 'Eye of the Tiger' on loop in the garage?

We are t-minus two weeks from today for leaving for CMP.  We have a car that has never been driven in any state even remotely similar to itself now.  With an engine that has never run in a configuration even remotely similar to the state it's in now.  We have a wiring harness made up of a mixture of 4 wiring harnesses and assorted scrap wiring from underglow light kits...and a computer that doesn't even belong with any of those 4 harnesses. We are desperately trying to get this thing running and beyond that, we have a laundry list of other things still to do.  So... I ask you fellow lemoners:  In times of desperation,  What keeps your engine running?

Knoxvegas Lowballers  Metro SVT, Multi-Powertrain-Van, The Hooptiecorn
2013 - Heroic Fix, Judge's Choice, Heroic Fix       2014 - IOE,Class-C Win
2015- Judge's Choice, Class B Win,Class A/Overall Win     2016- Org. Choice, B

Re: What keeps you going?

I have always had a thing for doing the highly improbable.  Things that people say are impossible until you prove the wrong.  So in the spot you are now I would really just need someone to tell me there is no way I could do it to get me motivated to finish it.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

I have always had a thing for doing the highly improbable.  Things that people say are impossible until you prove the wrong.  So in the spot you are now I would really just need someone to tell me there is no way I could do it to get me motivated to finish it.

+1

it gets really bad when even I start to believe that even I myself can't even do it. But I keep doing it.

At some point, autopilot kicks in and it's just gotta get done.

When I eventually recover from the zombie-like state, I try to remember what happened. When the bits and pieces of memory start popping back into my head I kinda can't believe myself what I did.

Some doctor would probably say it's some sort of "manic" state that I get in or put myself in through a combination of lack of sleep and/or not eating.

It's taken me a while to realize that getting in those "zones" is not so healthy for me nor my relationships. It's during the times of reflection that I can see I either hurt or disappoint a bunch of people I never "consciously" would have wanted to inflict any ill upon. I've worked really hard to not work myself up into those frenzies again. They're fun and incredibly rewarding in some sick way, but the collateral damage is painful to try and rectify.

Learning to postpone the Grand Reveal of a new build is the toughest lesson for me. I'd hoped to get the ToyoHog out for Buttonwillow, but it was an easier call to postpone because it was months from being anywhere close to ready. Then Road America was a potential goal, but other life events got in the way. Then for Chuckwalla I really dug deep to make it happen, but it wasn't until 9am on Friday (tech day) that 3PedalMafia "woke me up" after a couple of days of no sleep wrenching and I chose to leave it home.  It did make getting it to ECR that much sweeter, though. And it was still a few more sleepless nights before it was done enough for me to think I could transport it.

It's absolutely amazing at how long you think something will take and how long it actually ends up taking. Good luck, stay strong. And don't forget to sleep and eat.

gm2 wrote:

Beer?  Bacon?  Scantily clad women? 'Eye of the Tiger' on loop in the garage?

... I ask you fellow lemoners:  In times of desperation,  What keeps your engine running?

Really, it is a combination of all 4. Well, ok 3. Minus the scantily clad women and heavy on the Eye of Tiger loop.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

It used to be the nickels, now there are barely enough to pay for fuel.  And everybody else wins them.  It's not the scantily clad women, they follow the drifting crowd.  So it must be the trophies.  Have you seen those things?  F*cking awesome!

We took all the drama out of racing by buying a reliable Italian car.  Ours needs new brake pads and tires for Sonoma.  And our car has outlived our harness!  Who woulda thunk it?

bs

BoB wrote:

So you're saying it's impossible for us to get it done?  brb... headed to the garage.

mountain dew, mostly.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

The fans girls money and fame.

Doing something interesting is half the fun. The other half is once you get to the track. We've had just as much fun hanging out with the other crazies both on and off the track.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

What used to keep me going was the pit bikes, but I guess that now it will have to be the racing.  And the camaraderie.  And the costumes, and bacon, and beer.  But mostly the bacon.  Thanks Tsog!

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

There is no way in hell you will ever be done in time for CMP so you might as well stop wasting your time.

Also, you smell of beer and bacon and scantily clad women. And no one likes you.

(Did it work?)

Head of Estate
/) come monday motorsports /)

Kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

doctordel wrote:

you smell of beer and bacon and scantily clad women. And no one likes you.

^^Obvious lie.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

doctordel wrote:

There is no way in hell you will ever be done in time for CMP so you might as well stop wasting your time.

Also, you smell of beer and bacon and scantily clad women. And no one likes you.

(Did it work?)

Thanks... We got the car started this weekend, ya A-hole!  Take that!

Racing is an addiction. What keeps me going? I'm an addict. Point, set, match.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Nothing.

2011: Gator-o-Rama, North Dallas Hooptie, Garrapatas Peligrosas GP
2012: Yee-Haw it's Lemons Texas!, North Dallas Hooptie
2013: North Dallas Hooptie

Sledge wrote:

Nothing.

speaking of: you going to be racing this year?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Responsibility that I have towards my team members, I won't let them down.

It Ain't My Fault

gm2 wrote:
doctordel wrote:

(Did it work?)

Thanks... We got the car started this weekend, ya A-hole!  Take that!

Curses, foiled again!

Now, get that broke-assed POS to CMP so you can repay me for my motivational skills in a currency of dark brown libation.

I will be the idiot driving a 928 made to look even stupider than usual as it will be wearing a dunce cap. Or a dorsal fin, depending on perspective...

Head of Estate
/) come monday motorsports /)

Kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

Dave wrote:

same actually. ever since the first race that we completed 18 laps I've been determined to make the car reliable and get my drivers seat time. I'm kind of succeeding.

I lose hours in the garage. I'll go out there to tackle a 10 minute problem and suddenly it's 5 hours later and i should have been in bed 2 prior. Personally I love working on the car almost more than racing it.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Dave wrote:

Amen to that.  In all honesty, this has been my main driving force.

Black coffee and Korn/IronMaiden/Rob Zombie on the stereo.

Dave wrote:

That only works for so long when they keep letting me down.  "Don't be stupid on track." "OK." Goes and has 4-off.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Yeah... That sounds about right.

EriktheAwful wrote:

Black coffee and Korn/IronMaiden/Rob Zombie on the stereo.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Baron wrote:
Sledge wrote:

Nothing.

speaking of: you going to be racing this year?

Yes, we should be at ECR with a repainted (and actually THEMED) Thunderbird.  We still need to find another driver and a place to get our cage modified, Lemco has not been returning my calls.

2011: Gator-o-Rama, North Dallas Hooptie, Garrapatas Peligrosas GP
2012: Yee-Haw it's Lemons Texas!, North Dallas Hooptie
2013: North Dallas Hooptie

What keeps me going? The thrill of racing and proving the nay-sayers wrong that a soft barge with an automatic can't be a good race car. Pretty sure we proved a barge can be a player, and if we can solve the fuel economy issue I'm hoping we can win one with this thing! If we win one? well, off to the next challenge I think. Probably a TDI in something.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

The fact that 7 other people paid a lot of money to race two horrible cars.  And 3 of them know where I live....

Carbon footprint diesel chevette: IOE Gingerman '11, ClassC winner Autobahn, 13
Isuzu iMark diesel: IOE Gingerman'13
Chrysler Cordoba: Organizers Choice Barber '14