Re: Kurrent "K" Kar Komitments

NSF wrote:

The axles may be too long and the limited travel is causing them to bottom out and stress the knuckle.   

The way to know would be to jack the arm and watch the travel and limit the movement of the travel to stop prior to the binding of the axle.    You may need someone to sit on the front to have full effect of the car cornering.

I looks to me that the left side boots tear. Both the inner & outer boots would not retain the "bellows" shape and were torn. It could be that the boots are expanding at higher speeds.  The "trick" racing CVs are vented to release the air pressure as the CVs heat up and expand the air inside the boot.  Another trick is to add zip ties to the valley of the CV boot bellows to keep them from expanding too much.  If I get a chance I'll take a look to see if there is anything that can nick the boots if/when it expands.

Or the easy button - just get a new (free replacement) CV from O'Reillys before each race as the axle is very easy to install...

Mike
Hong Norrth
#39 TRON Gray/Orange MX-3, aka "Sumbich"

I hate to tell y'all this, but crap getting past a torn boot isn't going to make a CV joint fail in just one race. Something more, you know, traumatic is happening to kill axles, and blaming boot failure is the exact type of magical thinking that has hovered around the K-car all year, like popper fumes at Studio 54 circa 1979. But it's true, half-shafts are cheap!

228 (edited by autoxmike 2013-11-17 07:38 PM)

Judge Phil wrote:

I hate to tell y'all this, but crap getting past a torn boot isn't going to make a CV joint fail in just one race. Something more, you know, traumatic is happening to kill axles, and blaming boot failure is the exact type of magical thinking that has hovered around the K-car all year, like popper fumes at Studio 54 circa 1979. But it's true, half-shafts are FREE!

FTFY. Free replacement from O'Reillys. Receipt is in the envelope of K papers.

BTW - Even tough the boot was torn badly and grease was everywhere the CV was not making noises but replaced it anyway as I didn't want it to go bad during the trip  - and it was free and only took a few hours from start to finish including tracking down one in stock at the Calumet City store...

Mike
Hong Norrth

229 (edited by autoxmike 2013-11-17 07:52 PM)

We had this discussion on another racing forum recently.  One guy had these problems and put a GoPro under the car for a race.  As the race went on the CV boot blew up like a balloon.  The car was an Integra IIRC that had been lowered.  The combination of running hard for a long time, and probably a CV at a sharper angle, put heat into the CV, which heated the grease & air inside the CV boot.  The CV boot is airtight so the boot expanded like a balloon until the started rubbing on a bracket that one would have never expected would have come in contact with the boot.  This is why some serious road race guys use CVs with vented boots.

Mike
Hong Norrth

Are you going to try to vent or do the zip tie trick?

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

I'd say that venting the boot is great if you want to lengthen boot life, but all that heat is probably the thing that is killing the joints themselves. Perhaps the K isn't happy being 6" lower than factory ride height?

Judge Phil wrote:

I'd say that venting the boot is great if you want to lengthen boot life, but all that heat is probably the thing that is killing the joints themselves. Perhaps the K isn't happy being 6" lower than factory ride height?

^^ Bingo ^^

Mike
Hong Norrth

Team Infinniti wrote:

Are you going to try to vent or do the zip tie trick?

I'll take a look when I get back to Chicago after this coming week in Minneapolis.  I didn't look specifically to see if there was anything close by that the boot can expand into.

Mike
Hong Norrth

So it looks like I won't make it to Colorado for the K Donner-Party adventure if I want to have a car of my own to race- new builds are always full of surprises and the Cavalier is making it a challenge.

I'll probably spend the week before the race under the damn car...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

Bummer dude! Was hoping to share one hella adventure! But get that car going! Been there. Bob and I slept about 20 hours total in the week before the Marlin's first race. I think RichVS slept about 3 hours in the same week while doing his Renault....Can always catch up on sleep while getting to the race.....

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

Paging Rockford Brodie...

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

So, does this mean that the K needs a driver?  Either from Denver to Sonoma, or in the race?  I'm very tempted to join in the buffoonery.

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

I'm just going to mention here that Cadillac bob has a Chrysler Pentastar Tattooed on his arm. Just sayin......

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

http://autoweek.com/storyimage/CW/20130927/CARNEWS01/130929839/V9/0/Fire-extinguisher-shower-at-Bonneville-Salt-Flats.jpg&maxW=630

Yeah, Cadillac Bob is perfect for the K.

240 (edited by autoxmike 2013-11-18 11:33 AM)

BTW - The K does not have a passenger seat or belts.  If someone has a spare seat of some type we can fab up some mounts and throw it in along with some belts in Denver. Not sure if Adam has a spare seat in his pile-o-stuff that we can put in before leaving Chicago

Mike
Hong Norrth

What???? No more milk crate? I got a Jeep Cherokee seat. Probly a milk crate too. Or we just blaze down to the U-try-N-Save.

242 (edited by EyeMWing 2013-11-18 06:28 PM)

Judge Phil wrote:

Yeah, really. Surely someone has thought of shortening the shaft. Cut in the middle, taper, weld, sleeve. It's not like it's a racecar or something....

Or if the thing is hollow (are axle shafts hollow? I never really paid attention) cut it and whack a plug coupler inside with some heat, drill some holes and plug weld it up. And then sleeve it.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

SeldomSeen wrote:

What???? No more milk crate? I got a Jeep Cherokee seat. Probly a milk crate too. Or we just blaze down to the U-try-N-Save.

What happened to the 914 seat?

EyeMWing wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

Yeah, really. Surely someone has thought of shortening the shaft. Cut in the middle, taper, weld, sleeve. It's not like it's a racecar or something....

Or if the thing is hollow (are axle shafts hollow? I never really paid attention) cut it and whack a plug coupler inside with some heat, drill some holes and plug weld it up. And then sleeve it.

Are you sure the shaft is too long? Just curious. I remember the White Trash Racing guys had a problem with the driver side on their Neon when they added more camber. Using a Shadow axle that was a little shorter solved their problem which was a serious vibration in right hand turns.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

How is K getting from Denver to Sonoma?  Is there someone willing to make that trip? 

I just can't keep up..

This space for rent.

NSF wrote:

How is K getting from Denver to Sonoma?  Is there someone willing to make that trip? 

I just can't keep up..

Im doing the entire Milwaukee to Denver to Sonoma gig. Then driving Balto at Sonoma

Mike
Hong Norrth

Cool! Good to know It'll be makin the trip! Let me know how I can help.

Sorry For(Being Late To The) Party, but I've gotten time off approved and can help with getting the K to Sonoma if need be.  Of course, I haven't really driven anything with a manual since I ran my Dad's lawn tractor into a fence when I was a teenager...

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

Rockford Brodie wrote:

Sorry For(Being Late To The) Party, but I've gotten time off approved and can help with getting the K to Sonoma if need be.  Of course, I haven't really driven anything with a manual since I ran my Dad's lawn tractor into a fence when I was a teenager...

If someone wants to spell me on the leg from Denver to Sonoma I wouldn't complain.  If not then I'll be OK either way. The convoy from Denver to Sonoma will make things much easier and less worrysome than the solo leg from Chicago to Denver.

Mike
Hong Norrth

Sweet! Bring on the madness! What better to learn stick on than something with fragile drive axles! Dude, Come over and I'll teach ya in a old jeep with low range. Makes it a mess easier to get the basics. It just takes a little bit to figure out. Then, when ya think ya got it, We will fire up the ol '56 International dumptruck. 15 gears. No synchros. Two levers to figure out. 549 cubes of fury. Somehow still slower than a Mercedes 240D.