Topic: Selling parts off the car - exempt/non-exempt

I'm calling "exempt" parts the parts that do not count towards the $500 limit (safety, wheels, brakes, etc)

If we sell a stock exempt part off of the car - say, sell the wheels for $50, the gauge cluster for $50 - can that money go back into our $500 budget? 

Or are parts that are exempt from needing to be claimed as part of the $500 also exempt from being able to be sold to recoup budget money?

Thanks

Re: Selling parts off the car - exempt/non-exempt

ANY money you sell from ANY part originally on the car can be counted towards the budget. That being said it will be hard to convince the judges that you have four sets of cylinder heads and 32 wheels packed into the car when yuo bought it.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Parts that came ON the car or WITH the car?  The purchase price of our car is going to include one spare set of wheels and a spare door (not sure why he's got a spare door, but he does).  So you're saying we could sell the door and the $ would go back into the budget?

Yes... but brings pictures and paperwork. Spare parts always raise a few eyebrows.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Yes, sell anything you got with the car, but keep in mind that at BS, even if you have pics and receipts, if it LOOKS like a cheaty car, you'll get laps. 

In theory, you could sell off the wheels, tires, and all brake components and then simply re-buy them, but nobody likes a cheater.  If you got spare parts, feel free to use or sell them.

If all else fails, buy a Z and spend whatever you want to on it.  You won't win, but at least you'll sail through BS.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

I'm sad.
When I got our car nearly two years ago, I was not even remotely thinking about Lemons. We gutted the car one evening and tossed everything into the back of my debris trailer.

I have nothing to sell...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

trekkor wrote:

I'm sad.
When I got our car nearly two years ago, I was not even remotely thinking about Lemons. We gutted the car one evening and tossed everything into the back of my debris trailer.

KT

You can always do research on what the parts your scrapped would have been worth and BEG jonny or Jay to allow you to add that to the budget.

Sons of STIG

Riktor wrote:
trekkor wrote:

I'm sad.

KT

You can always do research on what the parts your scrapped would have been worth and BEG jonny or Jay to allow you to add that to the budget.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

That would be taken as: "just slap me across the face with a pair of wet gloves"!

No thanks!!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports