Topic: $500 dollars cars and honesty

Why can't we play by the rules and just skip the value part of tech?

"Did you spend more than $500?"

"No"

"Have a great race!"

See, it's just that easy.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Re: $500 dollars cars and honesty

Because people suck.  They lie and they cheat.

The number of cars that get bs laps pretty much prove the need for it.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Cheating for a 'win' seems like a complete and total waste of time.
I see no satisfaction in that.

Why do people do that?
Trick everyone and pretend you're happy?!?

I personally enjoy getting more done with less.
Anyone that knows me can attest to that.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th

Why do people steal?
Why do people kill each other?
Why do people do all the bad stuff they do?

Best I can come up with is People Suck.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

But it's not fun, clever, fulfilling or satisfying to SUCK.

Cheating to a win is still a loss... ( Is that a known quote? )

KT

Cheating in auto racing is a tradition that dates back about 100 years.  You're not gonna change it.  For an awful lot of people, it's just part of the game.

"It's only cheating if you get caught."

Not saying I agree with it, I find no joy in an "easy" win.  But, it is what it is, and every team has to come up with their own level of acceptable "cheatiness".

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Its hard to draw that line in the sand, thats why.  A few years ago I got a Buick Regal from my Grandma she REFUSED to accept any money for it.  Plenty of folks out there would have called that car a $0 car....and then put $500 worth of stuff into it.  How nice was it?   I drove the car for 5 years and then sold it for $3000.  It depends on how you personally read the rules.  We have had teams show up at Lemons with various cars that are way beyond the $500 limit.

Beyond that I'll go with the "people suck" theroy.  I have been racing all sorts of cars in all sorts of racing my whole life.  A lot of other racers think that cheating is just part of the game, your SUPPOSED to cheat and if you get caught cheating thats some sort of failure on your teams part.  Look at the professional series, Roush racing, Richard Petty, Toyota team europe, have all been caught openly and blatently cheating in the past. 

Me personally I take no pride in cheating, play the damn game the way is supposed to be played.  I'm also a firm believer that if the cheaters spent all the time they use cheating to...I dunno working on making the car faster, they might be about the same place.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Most racing PIONEERS are technically cheaters. But it all depends on how you look at it. If there is no rule for something then it is legal. Stock Car is a PERFECT example...

The BSlaps means less rules and greater chance for catching cheaters. Now granted the system is controlled by humans and thus can become corrupt. But it's still better than combing through a 300+ page book to find where some one can exploit some lack of detail to get a minor advantage.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

9 (edited by jimeditorial 2009-11-04 11:53 AM)

This is why the tire rule is pure genius....to quote Junior Johnson, "motors don't mean sh!t"...and neither do alloy control arms, heim joints, etc. if you can't transfer power or cornering forces to the ground...I'd go to a UTQG of 220 or 230...if you spend on engine internals to maximize reliability, who's to know and if there's no advantage, who cares?....the Z-car guys have shown that good prep doesn't guarantee a good finish anyway...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

adding lightness is free... to a point.

i'm surprised there aren't more CRXs, Festivas and GEOs.

this is why we started with a 1st gen MR2. it's very light, rear wheel drive and manual which seems like a good way to race fun for cheap.

apparently there was a major flaw in out plan due to cooling and oiling issues, but otherwise we had a ton of fun with a genuine $500 car.

the one thing i should have cheated for last time was new ball joints on the car. this isn't a performance advantage and really should have been done for safety. I'll replace these items before the next race and call it "safety items" becuase frankly, they are.

I concur. Ball joints and wheel bearings, same thing. If your car is so shaky-handling at highway speeds that you're scared to go faster, it's more a safety issue than a go-fast issue.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Tiptoe the rat wrote:

I'm also a firm believer that if the cheaters spent all the time they use cheating to...I dunno working on making the car faster, they might be about the same place.

I think they are in exactly the same place.

Part of the $500 car how the rules are perceived. 

The 2005 Mini was probably bought from an insurance company as a total for say $3500.  They had a huge stack of receipts and may have sold off $3000+ in parts.  However, it's still and 05 Mini.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Ball Joints SHOULD be safety.

Technically they are not safety in Lemons but could be argued.  Realistically, I don't think anyone will burn you.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Technically they are not safety in Lemons but could be argued.  Realistically, I don't think anyone will burn you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Troy

1973 Datsun 240Z

Unless of course you're Troy!!!
"We are friends of Troy"
"We are friends of Troy"
"We are friends of Troy"

Troy wrote:

i hadn't replaced them because the car drove fine at high speed on the road, it felt great, but there were no more boots covering the joints.

it was out first time at a race track and none of us had realized just how harsh race conditions could be.

The good news is, they did not loosen up during the race, but i won't push my luck twice.

we're in it for the fun, not the trophy. it is hard to have fun if you're in the hospital.

Marc wrote:
Troy wrote:

i hadn't replaced them because the car drove fine at high speed on the road, it felt great, but there were no more boots covering the joints.

it was out first time at a race track and none of us had realized just how harsh race conditions could be.

The good news is, they did not loosen up during the race, but i won't push my luck twice.

we're in it for the fun, not the trophy. it is hard to have fun if you're in the hospital.

Marc, most parts stores have some generic dust boots.  It the joints are still tight and are serviceable, pump fresh grease through them and boot new boots on.

I tried to clean up our ball joints for the first race, but they were too far gone.  I pulled out the grease zerks, soaked them in diesel, fished out old grease with whatever then pumped grease through them.  They seemed pretty good but were trashed before we finished practice so it didn't work out for us.  I think they were internally pitted from rust.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I was going to point out the 2005 Mini...but that was a bad example.  The guys seem to be cool and they openly admit that it wasnt a very Lemony car!

The ball joints on our Camaro were WASTED,  the whole tire would move about half an inch when the car was jacked up so we replaced them. As others have said...no one is going to fault you too much for ball joints, its not like a set of ball joints is going to make the car that much faster on the track.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

trekkor wrote:

Why can't we play by the rules and just skip the value part of tech?

"Did you spend more than $500?"

"No"

"Have a great race!"

See, it's just that easy.

KT

Problem is, we do that and dudes will start showing up in 8-year-old cars and claiming they're legit.

That stung...

KT

trekkor wrote:

That stung...

KT

Don't poke the bear...

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

I know what ya mean about $500 cars and cheaters.  I found a 1997 Maxima that had a smashed front end.  the seller was going to fix it (air bag didn't deploy) and bought a radiator but never installed it.  He advertised it ob Craigslist (had Tein springs, adjustable shocks, cold air induction, nice exhaust, etc.)  He wanted $700. I told him what we were doing and that $500 was the max and he said OK.  I advertised I was partially parting it out and sold the cat, some interior lights, one seat, the spare tire etc. and got about $140 for the stuff. 

Now WE (the team) really want to follow the spirit of the race - GO CHEAP.  I only bought really good front brake pads, the rears just new street perf ones.  Tires?  well we sprung for ONE new right front (cuzz its a FWD car and Thunderhill has 3 lefts for every right corner),  the other tires?  well I bought some used ones for $30- $50.  We will have a couple of spares.

We are going absolutely as cheap as possible.  We will tune up the car and make it as reliable as possible but still we bought a Home Depot extinguisher and "brake ducts".  Weare going cheap, Cheap CHEAP.

Gotta keep the B.S. inspection. It's the soul of the events.

Besides, too many folks are obsessed with "winning" this silly race instead of paying attention to what it is all about, which is doing your best with the crappiest (yet safe) cars possible, and having loads of fun.

As long as I don't get my ass toasted in an electrical fire, I'm having more fun than most. Then again, I have been called delusional on occasion.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

ifb_mole wrote:

I know what ya mean about $500 cars and cheaters.  I found a 1997 Maxima that had a smashed front end.  the seller was going to fix it (air bag didn't deploy) and bought a radiator but never installed it.  He advertised it ob Craigslist (had Tein springs, adjustable shocks, cold air induction, nice exhaust, etc.)  He wanted $700. I told him what we were doing and that $500 was the max and he said OK.  I advertised I was partially parting it out and sold the cat, some interior lights, one seat, the spare tire etc. and got about $140 for the stuff. 

Now WE (the team) really want to follow the spirit of the race - GO CHEAP.  I only bought really good front brake pads, the rears just new street perf ones.  Tires?  well we sprung for ONE new right front (cuzz its a FWD car and Thunderhill has 3 lefts for every right corner),  the other tires?  well I bought some used ones for $30- $50.  We will have a couple of spares.

We are going absolutely as cheap as possible.  We will tune up the car and make it as reliable as possible but still we bought a Home Depot extinguisher and "brake ducts".  Weare going cheap, Cheap CHEAP.

The spirit of the race isn't about being cheap across the board; we'd prefer that you sprang for good tires and brakes all the way around. Old and/or hard tires tend to fail, and Thunderhill is a track that's pretty unforgiving to cars that leave the track and dig into the mud.

As for your car, you should be in good shape for the BS inspection with a Maxima; we've been wanting to see more big Japanese cars and we'll be happy to have our first Lemons Maxima.

24 (edited by ifb_mole 2009-11-05 07:42 PM)

Well I guess we can buy more tires since the ONE I bought was on sale at the Tire Rack for $71 plus $25 for shaving

There are several types of LeMons-proven 200-treadwear tires out there with prices in the 100-buck range. I know a lot of teams have done well with Hankook Z212s, for example. Just search past threads for info.