Re: $500 dollars cars and honesty

MurileeMartin wrote:

Hankook Z212s, for example.

Alas, the Z212 RS2 that lots of us have been using is discontinued, with very limited sizes available right now. The replacement is both pricey and Lemons illegal (140 treadwear < 190 limit).

Some team have fun the Falken Azenis, but they apparently don't last as well as the 'kooks.

I'm guessing that a bunch of teams that want sticy-ish tires may have to go to more premium brands, like Dunlop Star Specs, which unfortunately have poor selection in our 15" rim size.

Anyone know a good, cheap legal tire in something like 225/50-15?

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

27 (edited by Marc 2009-11-07 06:20 AM)

In my search for tires, it seems like there is tons of availability in the 180 treadwear rating. so close, yet so far away from being legal.

especially when looking for shorter low profile small rim tires (for cheap lowering and better gear ratio) it seems like 180 treadwear is the highest that they go to.

can we bribe for the extra -10 in treadwear? i need tires under 23" tall which pretty much limits me to these sizes:

205/50r14
205/40r16
205/55r14
215/40r16
225/45r14
225/50r14
225/45r15

quite a few of the above sizes are available in 180 treadwear and 400+ treadwear, but not much in between

Marc wrote:

In my search for tires, it seems like there is tons of availability in the 180 threadwear rating. so close, yet so far away from being legal.

especially when looking for shorter low profile small rim tires (for cheap lowering and better gear ratio) it seems like 180 threadwear is the highest that they go to.

can we bribe for the extra -10 in threadwear? i need tires under 23" tall which pretty much limits me to these sizes:

205/50r14
205/40r16
205/55r14
215/40r16
225/45r14
225/50r14
225/45r15

quite a few of the above sizes are available in 180 threadwear and 400+ threadwear, but not much in between

Falken Azenis are 200 tread wear and grip like GODS... check www.vulcantire.com

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Riktor wrote:

yeah i've seen those. they seem to get mixed reviews on these forums, some people complain that they get too greasy when pushed for extended periods of time.

They have a 205/50r15 which is a pretty nice size for our MR2

Marc wrote:
Riktor wrote:

yeah i've seen those. they seem to get mixed reviews on these forums, some people complain that they get too greasy when pushed for extended periods of time.

We run Azenis on our MR2. They are good enough for this race. I've only noticed them get that greasy feeling once, it was during the February Houston race, and I'd been screeching the hell out of them for the better part of an hour at that point. What it told me was that maybe I needed to just back it off a little, considering that this is an endurance race and a mid-race tire change will kill your results.

Trust me, the tires are low on your worry list if you're running an MR2. Way, way low. Spend your effort working on getting the cooling system in tip-top condition and fully bled of air. And then pray. smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

31 (edited by ronman 2009-11-06 10:00 AM)

FYI, kids:

There is no "h" in "treadwear"

http://coreyking.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/grammar_nazi2.jpg

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

I don't know why we are restricted to 190 treadwear which effectively means 200.

If they dropped to 180, we would have a lot more options.

The Hankook FS2s seem good but will get loose which I assume means greasy.

I run the Toyo T1R and my size is discontinued.

My friends car made comparable lap times to mine on the FS2s.

One the same tires, he swears he can't catch me.

So I think the now discontinued FS2 may have a bit more grip.

Looks like Azenis are in my future and a 205/50r15 may just have to do.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Marc wrote:
Riktor wrote:

With the weight of your car you should be fine.

Troy wrote:

I don't know why we are restricted to 190 treadwear which effectively means 200.

Because 180 opens up Street/Track tires... they want to keep us on performance street tires. Besides... with some of the skinny ass tires some of these people run do you REALLY want them running stickies that'll wear out quickly?

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Marc wrote:
Riktor wrote:

The trick to Azenis is staying under the magical 40 PSI mark.  Anything over that number and they will get greasy.  I used to run them on my FWD HPDE car and it was very common for them to gain as mush as 10 PSI in a 25 minute session.  IOW, you need to start them really low pressure wise to achieve the end result.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

We're going to try Nitto NeoGens: 280 treadwear, built for negative camber applications, cheap.

The price jump from the 195/60/14 to the 205/50/15 Azenis was just too much. Plus it might rain and the Nittos have a good rain rep.

We've always run 50+psi in the Azenis, at least in the front, since the Cav has 64% weight on the front wheels and enough power to kill tires... The rears last the whole weekend, the fronts get changed each day.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

X-args wrote:

We're going to try Nitto NeoGens: 280 treadwear, built for negative camber applications, cheap.

The price jump from the 195/60/14 to the 205/50/15 Azenis was just too much. Plus it might rain and the Nittos have a good rain rep.

We've always run 50+psi in the Azenis, at least in the front, since the Cav has 64% weight on the front wheels and enough power to kill tires... The rears last the whole weekend, the fronts get changed each day.

Throttle control my friend...

Sons of STIG

Riktor wrote:
Troy wrote:

Because 180 opens up Street/Track tires... they want to keep us on performance street tires. Besides... with some of the skinny ass tires some of these people run do you REALLY want them running stickies that'll wear out quickly?

with some of the skinny ass tires some of these people run do you REALLY want them running stickies that'll wear out quickly?

I've seen guys race on Douglas X-tracs which is what my trailer has.

No one is required to race a tire as close to the tread wear requirement as they can get.  It's optional. 

I would appreciate the wider tire selection and they might be faster.  Doubt a 200 is going to last much longer than a 200.

The numbers are assigned by the manufacturer anyway.  So a 200 Falken my be sticker than a 280 BFG or vice versa.  It's subjective, not necessarily factual or based on a standard and assigned through test results.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

ronman wrote:

FYI, kids:

There is no "h" in "treadwear"

http://coreyking.files.wordpress.com/20 … _nazi2.jpg

Yeah, that made me twitch, too.

I'm getting six  Falken Azenis mounted today. 205/50/15.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports