Topic: Effing Gubment furloughs, and Race Watchers diet plan

Just got the official word.
Despite being a (federal) uniformed police patrol sergeant on the street, covering sizeable areas in MD, DC, and VA, I'm being furloughed. All of our people are, as far as I know. Apparently, crime will have to cease, and folks will have to stop having accidents, because there will be fewer officers around to help in about a month. They are staggering the unpaid leave to one day per pay period, but it's gonna cut deeeeep into Lemons money for the year. And Eleanor money. And 8 Wheeler money. And home repair money. And forget hookers and blow!

You'll being seeing a lot less Speedy, though you'll still see a lot of the Outlaws. Unless, of course, Lemons needs me to judge, and will fly me out, or people have too much seat time, and need someone to help them out with it. Will wrench/weld/fab/theme for seat time...

Who else is feeling the pain of our inept Congress and the sequestration?

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Re: Effing Gubment furloughs, and Race Watchers diet plan

You have met Randy, my good friend and better mechanic.  He works at Letterkenny Army Depot and he will be losing one day a week for at least 3 months.  MMC may be his only circus this year.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Sorry to hear about this, S/C.  Let me know if I can help out.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

4 (edited by ridered777 2013-03-13 05:43 AM)

They can't furlough you! MD cops just did the best thing since the inception of traffic/speeding laws: http://jalopnik.com/youll-love-the-poli … -453349894

The good news is, this gives you extra time to pursue your other passion- selling your body down at the corner of the street.

"Roxxxxaaaaaaaaaaaneeeee... You don't have to wear that dress tonight..."

Hope things pick up soon, Speedy. And if not, hey, there's always 2016! :-/

(facebook.com/baconexplosions)

10x loser and 2x IOE winner (or is it wiener? Who cares as long as it isn't whiner.)

Sorry to hear that, Speedy. A good friend of mine who helped build my car and then built one of his own is in the same boat. He sold off his Lemons car and bought an old stock car to race on the local dirt track. His last outing resulted in a smashed front end. He spent the last several months fixing everything up and then the government pulled the rug out from under him by furloughing him and he may not be able to afford to race anymore. Totally sucks.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

This is an outrage, I'm calling my Congresscritters right now!

Anything else I have to suggest would likely get me put on some terririst watch list. That said, we should start a militia to rise up against our oppressors in Washington!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-VSGPIP1dGIY/T27c-k7OH6I/AAAAAAAACnM/BnSR5JiN1ug/s1600/road+warrior.jpg

big_smile

7 (edited by psychoboy 2013-03-12 08:57 AM)

sadly, in a 3,800 billion dollar budget, the president wants to make sure 44 billion dollars worth of cuts hurts as many people as possible as badly as possible. instead of cutting any number of programs that cost more and do less, the executive branch has decided to cut paychecks of gov't employees...while still spending between 15 and 59 billion more this year than they did last year.

it sucks for you guys, but that's the risks of working for an organization that spends twice as much as it earns.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

The president and all members of congress should be taking pay cuts for the sequestration!

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

mackwagon wrote:

The president and all members of congress should NOT BE GETTING PAID until a budget is passed.

FTFY

I have a very difficult time coming up with a sentence about Congress that does not repeatedly use most of the seven words you can't say on television.

You and me both.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

I wonder how many congressional aides are being furloughed.  Lemme guess..

Sorry to hear it Jeff, hope things get back on track soon.

bs

Before this gets (too) political, let's all just agree that this is EVERYONE in that giant semi-drained swamp of a national capital we have's fault.  Democrats and Republicans, President and Congress.  I imagine the judicial branch is mostly free from blame on this one, though. 

It just sucks all the way around.  It's been said before, ad nauseum, but the political system in this country is broken.  Well, scratch that...it works VERY WELL...for a very small number of people and for a very skewed and twisted purpose.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

mechimike wrote:

Before this gets (too) political, let's all just agree that this is EVERYONE in that giant semi-drained swamp of a national capital we have's fault.  Democrats and Republicans, President and Congress.  I imagine the judicial branch is mostly free from blame on this one, though. 

It just sucks all the way around.  It's been said before, ad nauseum, but the political system in this country is broken.  Well, scratch that...it works VERY WELL...for a very small number of people and for a very skewed and twisted purpose.

Couldn't agree more. This isn't about different ideas on how to run the country, this is a bunch of feral children bullying each other to protect their own little fiefdoms.

Maybe we could wall off the city and make it a maximum security prison. Just don't bother to send in Snake to rescue anybody.

14 (edited by psychoboy 2013-03-12 01:39 PM)

the political system is indeed broken, but the constitution is pretty clear:

the legislative branch appropriates the spending, the executive branch does the spending.

the legislative branch writes the checks, the executive branch goes to the store and picks the items off the shelf.

the legislative branch makes the shopping list, the executive branch chooses how closely it follows the list.

if the executive branch makes too many bad choices, the legislative branch writes smaller checks or stops writing checks to that store altogether.

even the check writing process is clearly defined:

the house has the checkbook, and the senate has general veto power over its use.

the house writes a budget or a spending bill, and the senate approves it, or makes changes to it and it goes to conference committee.

lately, tho....the senate has been unwilling to do their job and approve a budget of any sort. even the president's proposed budget failed 99-0 in the senate.

sure, the house is writing budgets the senate and the president won't go for, but they aren't preventing the senate from doing their jobs and creating a committee bill to work towards some sort of compromise. the senate hasn't passed a budget in nearly four years.

in the case of the sequester,  the president was tired of congress not writing a budget (or accepting his) so he designed a plan that sucked so bad for both sides that surely they would do something else. the house did several something elses, but the senate and the president refused almost all of them.  the one thing both the democrat senate and the democrat president did accept was the republican house's January1 compromise on the increase of the top marginal tax rate on the highest earning taxpayers, in exchange for pushing the sequester cuts off two more months. they had been offering "loophole and deduction" revenue increases, but the president demanded rate increases.

the president got what he wanted, he got the rate increase. and he got it without having to cut spending...despite his demands of a balanced approach.

the week before the sequester, he demanded the "loophole and deduction" increases he refused two months before in exchange for unspecified spending cuts. if he didn't get them, he promised all hell would break loose when his sequester went thru (sounds like the stimulus argument, doesn't it?). as sequester approached, and as he promised an apocalypse, people noticed that the sequester was only 44 billion out of 3800 billion and sought ways to minimize the impact, since it was aimed directly at government employees. he was offered the explicit ability to aim those cuts (since the implicit ability outlined in the constitution wasn't good enough, i guess), he refused it. he was offered other plans to cut that money from other places and programs, he refused it. ground level members of his administration directly asked for permission to push their cuts into places it wouldn't hurt....and HE SPECIFICALLY DEMANDED THAT THEY ALLOW THE DAMAGE HE WAS PROMISING TO OCCUR.

you can choose to place the blame of a failed political system wherever you like, there is more than enough to go around.

but it's fairly clear where the sequester blame belongs.

remember too....the political system that could not find 44 billion dollars to cut that wouldn't furlough jeff and his kind in late february created 51 billion dollars it didn't have to spend on Hurricane Sandy relief in late january.

they'll all get together and agree to spend money they don't have in the budget, but they aren't as willing to agree on not spending money they already budgeted for....  that should tell you everything you really need to know about DC in general.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

BLAH BLAH BLAH POLITICS BLAH BLAH...

BACON BACON BACON *FIRE!* BACON BACON. There. Balance somewhat restored.

I'd rather start poking people's eyes out and eating my sister's cooking than read about politics on the Lemons forum. NOT the place, AT ALL. EVER. PERIOD. That belongs on your Facebook walls, not here. This is a Lemons racing forum.

"BAR RULES". NO RELIGION, NO POLITICS. ALWAYS IN EFFECT.

Sorry to hear about your woes Speedy, been there, still there, still racing, have no doubt you will find a way too. You are one of 3 people I know that are crazier than me. YEW KAN DEW EET!!

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/rebirth3d/rebirth3d1103/rebirth3d110300023/9130089-woman-fist-isolated-on-white-background.jpg

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

This thread has officially jumped the...uh...Metro.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/4580182/speedycop-jump-o.gif

Hang in there, Speedy. Good things happen to crazy people.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

This is the off-topic section, but we can minimize politicizing this garbage and work on consensus building.

Although the consensus we reach may require Speedycop to choose between arresting us or quitting his job and joining us.  wink

Stop re-electing any two-term senators or three-term house reps.

It still sucks that Speedycop's having to sit on his tail because his employer is incompetent.

fiasco wrote:

...this is a bunch of feral children bullying each other to protect their own little fiefdoms.

This turn of phrase made me laugh. It's a sad laugh, but at least it's still a laugh.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

Brett85p wrote:

Speedy, if you can make Gingerman I'll give you a drive either an hour each day or two hours saturday. Its the least we can do after you pushed us into the pits at the end of the race last year.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

mackwagon wrote:

The president and all members of congress should be taking pay cuts for the sequestration!

It ain't my fault...... I tried firing them last November.  sad

It Ain't My Fault

Brett85p wrote:
Brett85p wrote:

Speedy, if you can make Gingerman I'll give you a drive either an hour each day or two hours saturday. Its the least we can do after you pushed us into the pits at the end of the race last year.

To sweeten the pot Speedy, I would give you my Sunday stint in the Celica as well. If you can get to gingerman, my seat on Sunday is yours.
Aaron.

12. Gingerman , Heroic Fix award
10/12 Autobahn, 51st overall.
Team Apocalyptic Racing
1978 Ecotec Celica.

Sparky Pete wrote:

I'd rather start poking people's eyes out and eating my sister's cooking than read about politics on the Lemons forum. NOT the place, AT ALL. EVER. PERIOD. That belongs on your Facebook walls, not here. This is a Lemons racing forum.

Sorry to hear about your woes Speedy, been there, still there, still racing, have no doubt you will find a way too. You are one of 3 people I know that are crazier than me. YEW KAN DEW EET!!

Speedy is one of my dearest friends, but I have to agree fully w/ Sparky Pete here...  Lemons BAR RULES: NO RELIGION, NO POLITICS.  ALWAYS IN EFFECT.

Clever banter and ribbing is one thing, but we have managed to get along fine here and on the track largely b/c we're idiots, but also that we don't firebomb our fellow race fans with our own self-righteousness. We've all got strong feelings about a lot of things, but that doesn't mean we need to bring it to every cocktail party discussion.

Let us revel in our mutual interests.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

23 (edited by DC Doug 2013-03-12 08:21 PM)

Oh, and I forgot...

Bacon, boobs, bacon, boobs, more boobs, bigger bacon... plane car... free K-car.  That is all, unless moar bacon.  Or, boobs.

...and Doctawife... pleeze more whale bone corset.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Sparky Pete wrote:

Your ideas are intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlMwc1c0HRQ

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

I'm 100% with Psychoboy on this. Great post!

That said, Douggie and Pete do have a point.

Now back to your regularly scheduled entitlements...  big_smile