Topic: Speedycop, is this your work? Woman ticketed for hogging the left lane

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local … 85901.html

There needs to be more tickets handed out for generally being a nuisance on the highway like this! it's like people are allergic to changing lanes.

2 (edited by Speedycop 2013-03-13 02:34 AM)

Re: Speedycop, is this your work? Woman ticketed for hogging the left lane

I do stop cars for that nonsense, but no, that wasn't me this time. It's the LAW, people.

I deal with idiot drivers all day long. Yesterday at around noon it was a younger woman who passed me, in a heavy downpour, with no lights on, while speeding, and then accelerated even faster to change lanes right-to-left-to-right while barely clearing the cars she was swerving around---at 50 MPH in a 25 zone.

I stop her, walk up to her window (getting soaked because I hate wearing the raincoat), and ask her if she knows why I stopped her. No idea. I informed her she was driving without her lights on while speeding in the rain. She immediately interrupts me with "I WASN'T SPEEDING!"

Yeah, right. I'm standing here getting drenched for the hell of it.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

3 (edited by mechimike 2013-03-13 06:52 AM)

While you're not busy being furloughed, could you do me a favor?  Every pretentious, attention-seeking sociopath blazing headlights other than D.O.T. approved white headlights needs to be pulled over, issued an equipment violation ticket, and then have the offending headlights "permanently disabled" on the spot, thus necessitating the vehicle's owner pay for a tow and immediate replacement of the offending headlamps. 

I am so sick of doing double-takes in my rear-view mirrors, thinking there's an emergency vehicle overtaking me, only to find out it's some jack-wad in a Jetta with poorly-aimed blue or red tinted H.I.D's.  And just when you think you've seen it all, a Range Rover with _purple_ H.I.D's with LED headlight surrounds blinded, then passed me on the Balt-Wash this morning.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

^^^ I'm with that guy,   Fuck Ebay HID Kits.

A kick in the crotch would be too good for them.

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

Fuck the idiots rolling around with thier high beams on all the time. Im not sure when or where this trend started, but it makes me want to pull in front of them and turn them off violently.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Sometimes they don't even need the aftermarket kits to be annoying.  Ford pickups are the worse for having low beams aimed so high you think they are high beams.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

I've seen truckers who have a rear-mounted off road light that they use to blind overtaking cars rolling with high beams or HIDs blazing.  Truckers can be some real dicks.  :-)

Speaking of dicks, getting back to the woman in the MD I-95 article, she sounds like a self-righteous prick of a driver- like this Civic driver I got behind one time who had a poster in his rear window that read:  "At 65 mph, I get 40 mpg.  At 62 mph, I get 42 mpg". 

Yeah, thanks for the lesson in aero load and fuel usage.  Meanwhile, I've got places I need to be.  At 65 mph I'll be there in 2 hours.  At 62 mph it'll take me an extra 6 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.  %-p

'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"

8 (edited by psychoboy 2013-03-13 08:19 AM)

"The woman who got the ticket sais she'd never been cited before — but on Friday, she said, she had to slow down due to heavy winds.

"Sometimes when it's dangerous, you have to do what you can to stay safe," she said.

StormTeam 4 Meteorologist Doug Kammerer said winds were gusting at around 40 mph that day."

40 mph gusts are dangerous heavy winds?

where i live, 40 mph gusts are tuesday....

and they don't have squat to do with my driving habits, even in my big ass'd sailboat of a cargo van.

you wanna stay safe? stay home.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Just remember, it's only _sometimes_ when it's dangerous, that you have to do what you can to stay safe.

@psychoboy

More people die at home than on the roads every year.  So, statistically, this woman was doing the safe thing- she was out there driving safely, instead of in her deadly home.

Speedycop wrote:

I do stop cars for that nonsense, but no, that wasn't me this time. It's the LAW, people.

Thank you!

Also, that was something I've never been able to get a solid answer on. is being further left than necessary on the road actually against the rules of the road or is it just something that is respectful and really helps traffic move along?

Speedycop wrote:

Yeah, right. I'm standing here getting drenched for the hell of it.

sad

Well, if it's just a lane hogger, you could try this without getting wet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocz-ivUFa_E

Hella Shitty Racing -- Premium Crapcan Racing since 2010!
- VOTE FORD
- Ferdinand the Bug (2x class C, 1x class B, IoE)
- Ferkel the Nein-11 (Org Choice, class C, Heroic Fix)

Marc wrote:
Speedycop wrote:

Thank you!

Also, that was something I've never been able to get a solid answer on. is being further left than necessary on the road actually against the rules of the road or is it just something that is respectful and really helps traffic move along?

It depends on the state.

PA's current law now says you must stay right unless passing.  I say current, because that is what it was up until sometime in the 80's.  It was changed then and now changed back about 20 years later.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

The ticket may well get beat in court, but the message makes sense for anyone that stops to think about it... Things are worse here in NYC as NY is a 55MPH state.
If you're doing >55 in the left lane, people are going to try to hi the middle or right lane to go around you. That means passing on the blind side... not good.

If you're not trying to pass the guy in the lane to your right, get behind him and enjoy the MPG savings of the draft... WTF...  Not promoting speeding, just promoting smart driving...

I love when people question why I race - "Isn't that dangerous? You wife let's you risk your life on a track?"  HA... The Belt Parkway or FDR drive at rush hour is worse than anything Lemons can throw at me...

And the headlight issue, just pull a Justin Beiber and c*ck punch that basterds.

Blackmaven MotorSports -  Supporting the United Leukodystrophy Foundation - www.ulf.org
FOR SALE! '68 Ford Cortina - BUY ME HERE!
'04 Mitsu in the works
BlackmavenMotorsports on Facebook

The argument that I hate even more from left lane campers is those that say that they'll get out of the way  if somebody comes up behind them.

Ok. So why not just stay in the right lane?

Most of the "freeways" around here are two lane and so when they go to three, people just spread out and continue doing the same speed.

'00 Volvo XC - DD
'11 Volvo XC90 V8 - Wife's, V8 go Vroom
'12 Mazda5 - Work Thingy
'05 E450 Ambulance - Work Thingy

Marc wrote:
Speedycop wrote:

Thank you!

Well, here in Cali. Those white "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs are not just a suggestion, they are a law. Not to be confused with the yellow 40 MPH curve signs. Those are a suggestion.
So if anyone is passing you on the right, you're slower and need to "Keep (moving over) Right"...

More reading...
http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

jiggermyster wrote:

Well, here in Cali. Those white "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs are not just a suggestion, they are a law. Not to be confused with the yellow 40 MPH curve signs. Those are a suggestion.
So if anyone is passing you on the right, you're slower and need to "Keep (moving over) Right"...

More reading...
http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Yeah, except no one follows the law, and the CHP never tickets anybody as far as I know for slowing down traffic. Jeff, we need you to fly out here on your days off and kick some CHP butts. The speed limit is 65/70, and we can hardly drive 70-75, but for all the slow idiots blocking the left lanes (all 3 of them).

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

The word of the day is "PIT."

If you're being passed on the right, irrelevant of your speed, you're wrong.  Period.  Move left to pass, move right to Sunday drive like a putz.  The only acceptable exceptions are loads that need to be there to avoid killing stopped people on the shoulder because they're two lanes wide, and they'll generally have more flashing lights than Las Vegas and they're emergency vehicles.

Here in Chicago, you have the "ghetto swoop" which is some moron, typically in a big rim domestic hoopie, coming down the ramp at WOT (which is correct procedure), slamming across all lanes of traffic, then parking in the left lane and doing the limit or less.  The "blue hair swoop" is the same procedure except in a Lincoln or Caddy with 14 or 15" rims and more body roll.  Sometimes combined with stopping in the merge lane because they're too scared to get into traffic. 

All police should have their speed guns removed and be sent forth to find these people; the ones who are actually screwing up traffic.  S/F.....Ken M