1 (edited by psychoboy 2013-04-09 10:22 AM)

Topic: fuel cells, bulkheads, and hatchbacks

Car and Driver recently posted their Lemons Prelude Fuel Cell install on YouTube, and another one of my forums is questioning the rulebook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … bQVmXzeKhA

there is no bulkhead readily apparent at their backseat hole (i guess, on my phone it didn't look like there was), however, it does look like  they are running an ATL box and accessories.

in my view, the phrase "If the fuel tank can't be completely separated from the cockpit by metal panels, a metal-encased, FIA-certified fuel cell with all related compliant fittings must be used." means that the ATL box is good enough, and that an additional bulkhead is not mandatory.

in other views, the phrase "if the fuel tank is in the trunk area, any openings between the trunk and the cockpit must be permanently sealed with bolted, riveted, or welded metal panels." includes the ATL box as a "fuel tank", and would demand a bulkhead since one could be fitted (which negates the if in the statement above)

looking at a non-trunk car like our civic hatchback.....is the ATL box enough of a bulkhead (meaning the "fuel tank" is technically the bladder) or would we need another bulkhead above and beyond the ATL box?

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Re: fuel cells, bulkheads, and hatchbacks

I asked Jay the same questions. I dont recall the full quote, but specifically he said that so long as you have an FIA cell, steel braded lines on real fittings, with the lines going down through the floor in as short of a run as possible, it would pass tech. Then he said that he would rather see a bulkhead anywhere possible to add to the safety of the installation. We are doing all of the above.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

3 (edited by psychoboy 2013-04-09 10:42 AM)

i figured "encouraged" was more likely than "mandated". 

i'm guessing our civic is going to eventually get an ATL box where the original gas tank was, but it'll come thru the stock rear seat bottom sheet metal in the process....which is why i'm wanting to plan for a bigger shelf if it comes to it.

i guess the idea of "having it and not needing it being better than needing it and not having it" comes into play.

any ideas as to what constitutes an FIA legal filler neck?

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

psychoboy wrote:

i figured "encouraged" was more likely than "mandated". 

i'm guessing our civic is going to eventually get an ATL box where the original gas tank was, but it'll come thru the stock rear seat bottom sheet metal in the process....which is why i'm wanting to plan for a bigger shelf if it comes to it.

i guess the idea of "having it and not needing it being better than needing it and not having it" comes into play.

any ideas as to what constitutes an FIA legal filler neck?

There isnt one. Lemons rules mandate more than just a clear hose, it needs to be the reinforced hose.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/Images/L/2548.JPG

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

WE run 2 honda hatchbacks with non atl legal cells. We use a washing machine top and sheet metal sides that we fabbed up. Works like a charm and looks great too.

If its not broke fix it till it is...

That's like a $2000 fuel cell. Very nice.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z