Topic: Title / Registration for a race car?

So I finally have a promising lead on a Lemons car. It currently has a clean title, which the owner will sign over to me. Assuming I never drive it on the road, does it end there? Do I need to go to the DMV for any reason, or can I just ignore the registration and let it lapse? Should I switch the title to salvage?

This might seem like a silly question, but I just don't want to be surprised by nasty fees when the current registration comes past due. Oh, and the car is currently registered (and I currently live in) Illinois, if that matters.

Re: Title / Registration for a race car?

depends on your state. seeing as i kept my car in the garage, i just left it unregistered until i was going to drive it to the track, got my plates+tags and my state has a 30-day liability/insurance waiver. i know michigan REQUIRES insurance before registering a car. I think if the car is never used on public roads and stored in a locked facility(garage) then it may not be necessary. Don't take my word as law though. you should look up your local state car registration regulations for the best info, not here.

Like Serj said, call the Illinois DMV and ask them what, if anything, you need to do.  Depending on how gutted the car will be, you might consider keeping it titled and registered so you can at least drive it down the road to check the brakes and make sure it runs decent.  Our car has no title and a typical loudish Lemons exhaust, so driving it around illegally wasn't much of an option.  The first time we had it over 1mph was when we backed it out to load it on the trailer on our way to the Lamest Day.  It would have been really helpful to tool it around and determine what did or didn't work.

If ours was registered, we could drive it to track days rather than borrowing a trailer every time we need to move it.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

I know we basically have just signed the title and thats it with ours.  The plates on the car had a little less than a month left  so we drove it home, and its basically stayed in the driveway since. (minus a quick spin around the block)  I live in Illinois too and I believe as long as we don't drive it on the street its ok, although if you hear differently I really would like to know.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

We keep the title with the car. I have heard stories about the highway patrol pulling people over and giving tickets to cars in tow for not having a title or proof of ownership.
We pull our car from Utah to California and would hate to get the car impounded for not have the require proof of ownership.  That would suck to show up at the track with no car. Just my 2 cents

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

why am i going to give new york registration fees and have to pay tax on the purchase when i don't care if the car is road legal.  if i want to test it around the block i'll just slap the plates from one of my street cars on it

If possible, I'd register and keep insurance on it.  Our car has run 3 races and is still street legal.  The roof has been cut off, but we strap the trunk lid back on (it has the lisence plate), put the headlights and taillights back on and drive it as needed.  It is great for moving the car or testing it out.  The car has even been driven in a high school parade!

The most asked question about the car is, "It it legal to drive it on the road?"  I drive it like a choir boy and have never been stopped.  One friend said he heard a description of my car on his police scanner.

Not all who wander are lost.

Well the car (#103 Miata CMP Fall)  I was in was never intended to be registered for the street but the town in CT. where the car was from made us register the car for street use or face a fine for having the car. DMV was shocked when we told them up there what the car was needing and what is was being used for. It actually ended up working out for us as we ended up driving the car from Concord, NC to CMP and then back to Concord.

But all in all keep any paperwork that shows ownership. As for registration check with the state you in on that one.

When I went to look at the car I fell in love with the body and the sweet sound of that engine. I'll be registering it so I can drive it around town big_smile