1 (edited by Brett85p 2013-04-29 01:51 PM)

Topic: Do glasspack mufflers "wear out"?

Our cur runs a header into glasspack muffler that was on the car when I got it, I added an F150 tailpipe to exit in front of the left rear wheel and no surprise it's damn noisy to the point of my ears ringing at the end of a two hour stint and not being able to hear the tires squeal!

I'm wondering if I replace the existing glasspack with a new one can I expect any difference?

What are the recommendations for cheap mufflers that will actually quieten the car a little?

**Additional Info*** 20R toyota reving between 2500-4500 rpm
Cheers
Brett

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Re: Do glasspack mufflers "wear out"?

yes, they wore out shortly after Urban Cowboy hit the big screen in 1980.

Triple Nickel Racing/TGTW Offroad   
#20 Border Patrol Cherokee "BPC" 
#22 Pink in the Middle Comanche "Double D"
#24 Green Door Handle Scrapping Corolla

555race wrote:

yes, they wore out shortly after Urban Cowboy hit the big screen in 1980.

zing

Put a turbo muffler on it. We run the generic magnaflow on our cars, they do a good job of keeping the noise down.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Or dump it out the passenger side.  That's what we did with ours.  Not bad in drivers seat WOT on Passenger side...lets just say we will not pass any 89dB threshold at Lime Rock Park any time soon.

You could put a used, or cheap new, resonator in the pipe.  Or put more pipe on and run it over the axle and out behind the tire.  It is amazing what a few bends in the pipe will do.

In our Mustang the exhaust exits out the passenger side in front of the rear tire.  It is still pretty loud coming out that side.  I just put ear plugs in.  You can still hear all the noises, but you are not deaf at the end of the stint.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

THey do wear out especially when they are closer to the engine.  THe hotter they get the quicker the material that is in there to muffle the sound burns away.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

"WHAT?!? SPEAK UP!!"

We run a glasspack on the ZomBee. I don't think it ever wore out. I think the rest of the world got quieter.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

I think you want to put the glasspack as far down the pipe as possible. They do wear out. The fiberglass packing burns out and then you basically are running just a straight pipe.

You can always put one of these on the end of the tailpipe and be able to tune exactly how loud you want it

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sup-4 … /overview/

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

If you've hung the glasspack directly of of the header, it could have worn out due to the excessive heat, especially from prolonged track time. You gotta figure that the racing is always going to overstress parts designed for the street. I'd just look to Craigslist for a used FlowMaster. A muffler like that is designed to attenuate sound, especially tones that are considered unpleasant. It's also a lot less likely to crush when one of your drivers manages to run over the larger debris falling off of the cars in front of you.

Be sure to support the weight of the muffler with hangers and not the header.

You could also swap in a Mazda Rotary, they're not too loud.
In fact, "Piston engine goes 'Boing, boing, boing, boing boing...' but the Mazda engine goes 'Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...'"

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Here is the answer, be warned that it is a little urban.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgRoM4kf8gI

Lou Glutz Motorsports:  Vodden 2012 DNF, Pointless 2013 DNF, Vodden 2013 DNF, ArseFreeze 2013 P-53, Pointless 2014 P-65, Vodden 2014 P-85, Arse-Freeze 2014 P-31 Class A, Pointless 2015 P-105 (brakes) Class A, Vodden 2015 P-75 (Electrical), ArseFreeze 2015 P-41, Pointless 2016 P-53, ArseFreeze P-29

11 (edited by Team Sensory Assault 2013-04-30 08:31 AM)

Our engines melt and kill glass pack mufflers in short order. 

Rotary engine exhaust is just toooo damn hot.   After reading about Mazda's solution on their racing engines, we decided to give it a shot:  the Lava Rock Muffler!

Google it and you'll get the idea.

We took a melted glass pack (a chambered design won't work), cut the casing, peeled it back, and stuffed it tight and  full of lava rocks from Home Depot Racing and Development (in the lanscaping section hmm ).   When we were done, we welded the surgery wound closed and installed the muffler.   

You have to remove the melted nastiness inside the muffler to make room for the lava rocks, so wear some gloves or you'll be itching like no tomorrow.

Was it hella LeMony?   YES!  Its a shame that no one got to appreciate the genius of it.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/ninechaos/null_zpsd3f76b5f.jpg

Was it loud?  Hell yes.   
Was it quiteter than a glass pack?  Yes, I think it was
Did it sound good?   Well of course, rotaries have the sweetest song.    Your favorite song always sounds better when you turn it up just a bit.

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

I see your problem. you dropped the rev limit. run that bitch up to 6-7 grand and it'll quiet down after a little bit.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

tSoG wrote:

I see your problem. you dropped the rev limit. run that bitch up to 6-7 grand and it'll quiet down after a little bit.

I like the way you think.....I don't know if that is a good thing.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019