Topic: Race Car in a Box

Safe Drives sells a package they call a "Race Car in a Box"
http://www.safedrives.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RCHS95
Anyone have experience using something like this?
The cage is autopower, which has a seemingly good rep on the site, and the seat being OMP also seems to have pretty positive reviews. Anyone buy from this company before?

Emily's Power for a Cure 1990 Mazda Miata (I Got Screwed 2014 Southern Discomfort)
Help in the fight against Neuroblastoma, a devastating childhood cancer.
http://emilyspowerforacure.com/

Re: Race Car in a Box

I would add door bars myself and weld all the stuff that is held with nuts and bolts. Some gussets wouldn't hurt either.  My friend is gonna weld my cage for $100 and the materials(3 sticks of pipe and 20 gussets) are gonna run me less than $200. He's also gonna make a seat mount welded to the cage. I don't want the seat connected to the floor pan! Bought a Butler seat for $75 off ebay. Used belts for $25

3 (edited by TeamPaisley 2009-11-11 04:57 AM)

jmitch wrote:

I would add door bars myself and weld all the stuff that is held with nuts and bolts. Some gussets wouldn't hurt either.  My friend is gonna weld my cage for $100 and the materials(3 sticks of pipe and 20 gussets) are gonna run me less than $200. He's also gonna make a seat mount welded to the cage. I don't want the seat connected to the floor pan! Bought a Butler seat for $75 off ebay. Used belts for $25

What are ya gonna do if ya gotta take the cage out and install it another car?

Sawzall. May lose 1/4 " height though everytime you do it, but we all get shorter as we get older! smile
Good point though if you're putting it in different kinds of cars each time...hmm

That package looks like a good deal.  Shipping is going to bump you up a bit but is looks like a good value for what you are getting.

I don't know how easy it is to get a used belt off eBay for $25 with a current enough SFI label.  After looking for a long time, I bought a new harness for like $60 from Summit.

I bought a Kirkey seat off eBay reasonably too but shipping was pricey due to the bulkiness.  I did score one locally off Craiglist too for $20 but the new covers were almost $100 each.

I wish I could find 3 sticks of "tubing" for $200.  While DOM is not required, I think any cages we build from here on will be DOM.  The reality is that I was not seeing a real price difference at my local suppliers between DOM and ERW.  I haven't priced it lately, but a good price before was around $4-5/ft making it around $80-100 a stick.

An Autopower cage is a good cage that will pass tech in almost all amateur racing venues.  You may have to add double door bars but they are very good.

So jmitch looks like he's getting some really good deals.

While maybe none of you thought about this, the Race Car in a Box kit comes with FIA rated roll cage padding.  The SFI rated padding is like $20 a piece versus a few dollars for the cheap stuff.  It looks like the FIA rated stuff is similarly priced. 

So while the "Race Car in a Box" is more than you might spend, it does look like it comes with good quality items.  You will probably have to spend a little more for a double door par but that's about it.

Roll cage scrutiny is increasing, almost 1/4 of the cars at MSR had to make roll cage changes.  They were fortunate enough that Longhorn Raceworks was on site and able to help them out.  We added the double door bars to my friends Autopower Cage and they had a harness bar added at the track by Longhorn to pass tech.

Jmitch, I don't want to sound like I am ripping on you but I wish I could get cages done for $300 installed.  That's an awfully good deal.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

i thought this was going to be about some sort of Volvo build.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

No problem, Troy. The tubing is .095 thick @ 1 3/4" diam. I was TOLD it was about $50 bucks a stick and the cage would take 3 sticks.  Maybe it's  just cheaper here in the North Florida "boonies"or maybe I will get bent over after it's all said and done!After seeing what some of you guys are paying, I consider myself pretty dang lucky to be good friends with a race car builder in the area ! The belts I bought were 2005. I guess I should check to see if they're okay to use. They look almost new.

make sure your car passes the weight rules for that tubing. I haven't had a single cage done with thickness LESS than 0.120". heck, the P71 we run has 0.134"

For cars under 3000 pounds you can use 1.5 x .120 or 1.75 x .095.

For cars over 3000 pounds you need 1.75 x .120.

We are looking into benders and you have to buy a die to go with each diameter of tubing.  So we are thinking use 1.75" and just use the thickness you need for the cars weight.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy, if you are looking for one I have a 1.75 die we had to buy to build the cage in the Q LMK if you are interested in it...it was only used for one cage.

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

jmitch wrote:

The belts I bought were 2005. I guess I should check to see if they're okay to use. They look almost new.

The belts have to be dated within 4 years of the race so if they are dated 2005 they won't work.  Doesn't matter if they are new if the dates aren't good they are no good.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Phooey!

Buzz Killington wrote:

i thought this was going to be about some sort of Volvo build.

+1

Troy wrote:

I haven't priced it lately, but a good price before was around $4-5/ft making it around $80-100 a stick.

I got my 1.75" .120 wall DOM for just under $3 per foot, this week.

-----Matt-----

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

BoB wrote:
jmitch wrote:

The belts I bought were 2005. I guess I should check to see if they're okay to use. They look almost new.

The belts have to be dated within 4 years of the race so if they are dated 2005 they won't work.  Doesn't matter if they are new if the dates aren't good they are no good.

Some manufacturers will recertify your belts for a small fee....might be worth it if they're expensive camlocks, i.e. Simpson

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

G-Force does that too, at least on their camlocks. It's not really a "small fee" -- for camlocks, it's $110 -- but if you can find a set really really cheap that are out of date, then it could still be worth it. G-Force re-webs the entire belt, I suspect that's what the other manufacturers do too, but that's just speculation on my part.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I looked into re-webbing a belt a while back.

From what I understand and remember, the belts have to be re-webbed by the original manufacturer.  Different manufacturers handle it differently but most were only slightly cheaper than a new harness.

Simpson and Impact have an exchange service.  The plans varied but one you just had to send in the SFI tags.  I wanna say Impact had a pretty favorable arrangement in that you could send in an old belt from whoever and they would sell you a new harness at a pretty good price.

Regarding $3 a foot tubing, that sounds like a great deal.  Maybe prices have gone down.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z