Topic: Fueling at Thunderhill

I've been looking around the forum and on the event page, but haven't seen anything on this: will fueling only be allowed on the concrete pad by the fuel pumps like last year?  Or will we be allowed to use catch pans like at Buttonwillow?

Re: Fueling at Thunderhill

Subscribed!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

good ???

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Last year they required everyone to refuel down on the concrete pad at the the pumps and you had to have your fire bottle at the ready.  Nick might be able to chime in with the answer.

Based on my recent experiences at NL and Houston, it seems like the fueling regs are maybe becoming a little more standardized from venue to venue. At those 2 races, the fueling regs permitted no more than 3 participants in a fueling event, and that's if you're changing drivers. One old driver, one new driver, and the fueler. Somebody has to be holding the fire extinguisher at all times during fueling, and nobody is allowed to be seated in the car while fuel is being delivered into the car. Everybody has to be in full fire gear (shoes, gloves, suit, full-face helmet, visors down) during the fueling process. Fueling could only be done in designated area and not at all in paddock.

I can't say that any of this will be mandatory at T-Hill, but those were all rules at NL and Houston. There were other venue-specific rules too (like where you could fuel) that I'm not including here. Cheers.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

Based on my recent experiences at NL and Houston, it seems like the fueling regs are maybe becoming a little more standardized from venue to venue.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

so uh.. What? smile

Which reminds me - the Thunderhill event page mentions there will be gas at the track. Will this me normal premium gas (92-94 octane) or race gas only? Just wondering if we should take gas to the track, which we'd rather avoid.

91 octane is the lowest rated gas from the THill pump

To finish first, first you must finish. -Rick Mears
Pandamonium Racing

That should work.. Is it plentiful and reasonably priced? Again, do most people buy their fuel at the track or is it cheaper to buy elsewhere?

edit: just checked THill's website, current prices at latest update were 4.59/gallon. Don't know what street prices usually are though!

I'm not 100% clear on this, but can we bring our own fuel on site?
I have a drum.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th

11 (edited by sawinatthewheel 2009-11-12 09:39 AM)

trekkor...I believe the short answer is YES...you can bring your own fuel...we did last year.  But remember CA laws prohibit more than 9 gallons of gasoline in any container in the bed of a pickup.  However, you can have many 9 gallon containers! Check with the CHP.

sawinatthewheel...sometimes too much, sometimes not enough...just like life

Just called the CHP, it's 110 gallons.

So, a full 55 gallon drum is A-OK!

KT

Sorry on the delay on this...we will be using "Buttonwillow" style rules--you can fuel in your paddock space with drip pans with a minimum of two people (fueler and extinguisher man) in full driver's gear. There are no hot pits. You can bring your own fuel--there is an additional track fee for containers of 55 gallons or larger. Fuel will be on sale at the track, 91 octane minimum.

Great.  Thanks Nick.

is a drip pan a specific pan or just any kind of catch pan work? thanks in advance

Fantastic! Thanks for the word on this.

You can bring your own fuel--there is an additional track fee for containers of 55 gallons or larger.

How much is the fee?
We'll probably just bring the empty drum and fill up on Friday night at the track.

KT

trekkor wrote:

Fantastic! Thanks for the word on this.

You can bring your own fuel--there is an additional track fee for containers of 55 gallons or larger.

How much is the fee?
We'll probably just bring the empty drum and fill up on Friday night at the track.

What if we bring a 55 gallon drum with 54 gallons in it?

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

18 (edited by Bender/StickFigureRacing 2009-11-13 08:21 AM)

TEAM RRT JOKER wrote:

is a drip pan a specific pan or just any kind of catch pan work? thanks in advance

This is the one we use, it works great for keeping the spill to a minimum.
Large enough to span the full fueling area.

Blitz/3/4 x 25 x 36 in. Galvanized Drip Tray
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalo … tid=156503

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Bender/StickFigureRacing wrote:
TEAM RRT JOKER wrote:

This is the one we use, it works great for keeping the spill to a minimum.
Large enough to span the full fueling area.

Blitz/3/4 x 25 x 36 in. Galvanized Drip Tray
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalo … tid=156503

Thanks ...we'll pick one of them up.

This is GREAT news. TH has always been a challenge requiring all fueling to be performed on the concrete pad by the front gate. This will be a huge improvement.

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

Sorry on the delay on this...we will be using "Buttonwillow" style rules--you can fuel in your paddock space with drip pans with a minimum of two people (fueler and extinguisher man) in full driver's gear. There are no hot pits. You can bring your own fuel--there is an additional track fee for containers of 55 gallons or larger. Fuel will be on sale at the track, 91 octane minimum.

91 octane? well look at mr fancy pants.

I'm pretty sure my car would run worse on 91 than 87

Huey Newis and the Lose
Don't Start Believin'

Can we change drivers AND refuel at the same time at the Thunderhill event?

ifb_mole wrote:

Can we change drivers AND refuel at the same time at the Thunderhill event?

You can do it during the same pitstop but there must be no other driver in the car and no work being performed on the car while the actual fueling is going on.

Team Formula BMW
Finishing order: 44th, 44th, 19th, 10th, 5th, 10th, 5th
We will win some day smile

Great news......will have to buy one of those oversize drip pans & some extra gas cans...

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Fuel at the track is like .50 more than gas stations

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!