Topic: Brake repair...Just got a 1983 Pontiac Bonneville for $600

My friend and I just got a 1983 Pontiac Bonneville for $600, which starts us off a little over budget, but the interior is nice enough that I hope we can sell some stuff.

The car has some brake problems, mainly it pulls to the right really hard when braking, and the brakes still aren't that good.  I know safety isn't supposed to count toward the $500 cost, but does that go for everything with the brakes?  If I have to replace everything there, then that is no cost added to our total?  Should we still keep track of receipts for brakes stuff?

Thanks

Re: Brake repair...Just got a 1983 Pontiac Bonneville for $600

Brakes are free.  No budget considerations.

This space for rent.

I don't think that you will get sweated at all for being a bit over budget on that one.  It's a freaking malaise ere american car.  Phil loves those.  Show up with it pretty stock, I'm willing to guess class c.  Hell, the pratt and miller cheaty engine would probably only push that to b

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

4 (edited by webbyguy 2013-05-10 11:29 AM)

Sweet. I'm gonna get started on brake repair then.

For when we get started selling stuff off of it, does anyone have a list of the best (highest dollar) things to sell off of it?

I'm the co-owner of this Bonneville and have another question as well related to safety.  My buddy who made this original post is 6 foot something, really tall.  I'm 5'9".  I'm sure any other drivers we have will be somewhere in between.  Do we have to have a fixed racing seat or can it move to accomodate different sized drivers?

-Brian

You can have sliders on the seat.  I'm in the same situation and ended up with the fixed seat anyway cause it is simpler just found a spot where it was comfortable for the tall guy and I could reach the pedals.  Acutally I think the tall guy sacrificed some of his comfort to be nice and it is placed exactly where I would want.

But there are a few things you need to make sure with sliders. 

you either need an adjustable seat brace or make sure the seat can not go further than 6" from the harness bar

You pretty much need a dual lock slider, its not written in the rules but that going to be the way to make sure there isn't any play in it.

You have to make sure that the harness angle is always within the rules at minimum possible distance and maximum distance.

Also when making the cage be sure that there is enough space between the cage and the tall guys helmet.  Sliders sometimes end up raising the seat more than you would like.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Everything BoB said. For what it's worth, we ended up not needing a seat back brace. For the tallest drivers, our seat is almost touching the harness bar, and none of us need to move it as much as 6" forward.

Another common trick is to put the slider on a ramp, so that your short drivers gain a little bit of height as they go forward. This will add to your seatback angle, though. It may also cut into tall guy headroom, depending on the geometry. I'm actually not sure that doing this is worth the hassle. The two short drivers on our team still have to sit on a factory service manual and a pillow, even with the seat on a ramp.

for the brakes: find a 90's Caprice cop car or wagon in the junkyard and grab the spindles- they are interchangeable from 77-96, but the 94-96 had lighter and stronger spindles.. this gets you 12" front brakes.
if you are lucky, the same car will also have an 8.5 rear end in it with 11" rear drums or 11.5" discs.. if it's a 93 and older cop car, it will have 3.42 gears and probably a posi. 94-96 cars only had 3.08 gears in the 8.5.
this is also a good place to get suspension upgrades- the springs and sway bars from a cop car will be HD parts that are stiffer than the "ride on a cushion of clouds" springs that are in your car now, and the steering box is just over 3 turns lock to lock and much stiffer than what you've got not.
all of this will change the wheel bolt pattern to the 5X5 pattern so you will need different wheels, but 15X8 steelies from an 80's Chevy/GMC 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive truck fit nicely and look really good on that body style- or you can get stock car steelies dirt cheap..

9 (edited by DC Doug 2013-05-12 02:59 AM)

We've done the Bonneville.  305 with a two barrel... we turned 3.5 hour stints at Stafford.  If was "redonkulous!".

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6122/5973681791_c3e51cbc97_b.jpg
24 Hours of Lemons - Stafford July 2011 127 by dougkirchberg, on Flickr

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

We'll start searching for those brake parts.  thanks novaderrick.  So you typically by your brake parts used even though they don't add to the $500?

Bob, we had seen your ride on other parts of the forums.  Did you put the rims on, or did it come that way?

Here is my friend with the bonneville.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7360/8717980392_8aaffc6a62.jpg

webbyguy wrote:

We'll start searching for those brake parts.  thanks novaderrick.  So you typically by your brake parts used even though they don't add to the $500?

Bob, we had seen your ride on other parts of the forums.  Did you put the rims on, or did it come that way?

Here is my friend with the bonneville.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7360/8717980392_8aaffc6a62.jpg

Check rockauto.com  you may not get the hubs but rotors and calipers should be available.
discount code 145266297618565

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

I can't believe no one has recommended reading the rule book 3 times yet.The link is at the top of the page. Read the rules (honestly they only take like 15-20 minutes), then look in the forum for the How Not To Fail Tech, and Common Tech Failure posts.

Brakes are budget exempt. The reason you will be buying the brake upgrade parts uses is that unless you want to order new spindles from your local Chevy dealer, they aren't readily available anywhere. They aren't a wear item, and they almost never break.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

These parts are all going on our car before Buttonwillow!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/960218_413615082069154_403444838_n.jpg

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

webbyguy wrote:

My friend and I just got a 1983 Pontiac Bonneville for $600, which starts us off a little over budget, but the interior is nice enough that I hope we can sell some stuff.

Just remember that you can only deduct off your budget things you sold if they are a non-budget exempt item (if you were to buy them). Interior pieces don't count against your budget if you were to buy them, so you can't take it off your budget if you sell those items.

I see in the rules where it says driver comfort items. But it doesn't seem like that applies to all interior items does it?  For instance I can I sell the rear bench seat or interior panels?

Driver comfort & information (steering wheel, shifter, gauges, pedals, cool suits, vents, heaters, radio)

Or maybe it is driven by this cockpit section where lots of the interior has to be taken out anyway.

3.24: Cockpit De-Scuzzification: Anything loose in the cockpit can be a deadly missile in a crash; remove or secure any loose items. Loose wiring can cause fires and interfere with the driver; remove or secure all wiring, hoses, and cables. Carpets, insulation, and plastics will burn quickly and release poisonous fumes; strip as much of these out of the cockpit as practical.

webbyguy wrote:

Parkwod60 wrote:

Brakes are budget exempt. The reason you will be buying the brake upgrade parts uses is that unless you want to order new spindles from your local Chevy dealer, they aren't readily available anywhere. They aren't a wear item, and they almost never break.

This. What you need from the junkyard are the spindles. Once you have those, you can and should buy brand new calipers, rotors, etc. Shop Rockauto or your local parts store by asking for the brake parts for the donor vehicle, i.e. the car you got the upgraded spindles from.

ross2004 wrote:
webbyguy wrote:

Just remember that you can only deduct off your budget things you sold if they are a non-budget exempt item (if you were to buy them). Interior pieces don't count against your budget if you were to buy them, so you can't take it off your budget if you sell those items.

That's exactly the opposite of my understanding.  You're correct about things you need to buy - like wheels, tires, brakes.  You can't sell your blinging rims and then buy cheap steelies and pocket the difference.

But I am under the impression that you absolutely can sell interior parts like the dash, door trim, carpet, etc.

Here's the rule about sales of exempt items:
•4.7: Scavenger Sales: If you sell pieces off of your car, the money that comes back in can be used to offset the initial purchase price. (This only applies to stuff that counts toward the $500 total; the sale of exempt items--like wheels, glass, etc.--can NOT be used to offset the initial purchase price.) Just be prepared to convince some exceedingly skeptical judges of the validity of all those transactions.

And here's the rule defining exempt items:
•4.2: Safety Equipment DOES NOT Count Toward $500 Total: Safety equipment described in Section 3 DOES NOT count toward the $500 total. "Safety" refers to things that can save the driver--not things that can save the car.
■4.2.1: Beside the items and processes listed in Section 3, the following are considered safety-related and therefore exempt:
■Wheels, tires, wheel bearings, balljoints, and brake components
■Exhaust systems downstream of the header/exhaust manifold (NOTE: Turbos and related components are NOT exempt from the $500 limit. Nice try.)
■Windshields and wipers.
■Driver comfort & information (steering wheel, shifter, gauges, pedals, cool suits, vents, heaters, radio)
■All fuel hoses, fuel fittings, fuel filters, and related mounts
■All fuel-system components upstream of the fuel pump, including tanks/cells, mounts, fillers, vents, etc. (NOTE: Fuel pumps, carburetors, injection pumps, computers, and individual injectors are NOT exempt from the $500 limit.)

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

ross2004 wrote:
webbyguy wrote:

Partially true,but mostly false. The rule about selling off budget exempt items not contributing money back to the budget applies mostly to wheels, tires & brakes. Before the rule was written it was perfectly legal to sell off the OEM wheels, buy another set of aftermarket wheels, sell those off,and keep doing it until you had as much money as you wanted to spend in your budget.

You can sell off your factory interior, gauges, seats, trim, etc, and count that money back against the budget, but you cannot then buy a set of budget exempt race seats then sell them against the budget.

Whatever you do I would not sorry too much about the budget. With a full sized GM sedan that is not a cop car,and doesn't have a full NASCAR V8 in it I doubt you will be nickle and dimed when it come time to judge you.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

I'm not going to be a ballbuster about the budget of an '83 Bonneville. Make your best effort to sell off parts to keep the budget legit, but I'm not going to sweat a Bonneville team like I'd sweat an E30/Integra/Neon/etc team. Focus on getting it to pass the tech inspection, i.e. don't cut any corners on safety stuff.

Gauges are budget-exempt. Brakes are budget-exempt. Windshield is budget-exempt.

Okay much clearer now.  Thanks.

I stand corrected!

I always interpreted it like this: is Phil going to care if for some reason I buy and install carpet or rear seats in the car and count it against the budget? No? Can't deuct it.

I just realized that the '83 Bonneville is actually a G-body, which means it's not quite as cool as the earlier full-sized Bonnevilles. That means that I will be looking for excessively cheaty suspension upgrades, so don't go too crazy there.

You won't have to won't have to worry about us going to crazy about upgrades.  I think we will have our hands full just getting it ready for a first race.  Stock with fixed brakes and passing inspection is probably as high as I want the bar this first time.

Don't forget theme! There are so many awesome themes you could do!

Also, as you hunt for parts - remember to grab spares for things you never want to replace; and brakes.

Captain of Confusion: Escape Velocity Racing
- Thirty+ Time Loser
- Judge Texas Bob (Really just an A.I. Controlled Through Cowboy Hat)

Judge Phil wrote:

I just realized that the '83 Bonneville is actually a G-body, which means it's not quite as cool as the earlier full-sized Bonnevilles. That means that I will be looking for excessively cheaty suspension upgrades, so don't go too crazy there.

wikipedia says you're right. i forgot that they killed the LeMans badge after '81 and put Bonneville badges on them instead..
but the junkyard big brake swap still mostly applies, you just gotta add a ton of alignment shims or get a set of dirt cheap circle track "metric" upper control arms..