Topic: Subaru SVX?

Have there ever been a Subaru SVX raced in Lemons? As a 3600lb,  auto trans luxury sports coupe with undersized brakes, which class would it fall into? Of course I am asking because I found one with no rust, no dents & many years of unpaid registration. Was running when parked, Ha Ha, but the fuel pump access cover is open. Could I just remove the small roll down window Portions & keep the fixed glass?

Tired Iron Racing, Class A Winner of 2023 Days of Thunder & the Hooptie-Con Engine heat Cooking Competition, otherwise just a 50x loser, which is somehow able to finish in the top ten, if we don't step on our own dicks.

2 (edited by psychoboy 2013-05-10 11:11 AM)

Re: Subaru SVX?

no SVXs so far as i know. i think Phil has called it a solid Class C car, mostly because it's the worst collection of subaru components all in one place.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

I think there was one, maybe another. Broke quickly, iirc.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

4 (edited by therood 2013-05-10 12:08 PM)

One SVX ran three races in '08 - '09. Well, it showed up to three races and basically ran at one of them.

Complete results:

CMP '08: 71st of 72 starters, 6 laps
NOLA '09: 38th of 46 starters, 143 laps
CMP Fall '09: 61st of 113 starters, 375 laps

Photo:

http://www.murileemartin.com/LSF09/LSF09-2094.html

The Blueberry Fields Forever Impreza that runs in the Midwset now has an SVX motor mated to a later-model five-speed and it's actually as good as Teh Internetz says it should be. More importantly,  it's mostly stayed together for its last several races.

EDIT: The Blueberry Fields car is Class A. A stock SVX might be one of the Class C loophole cars; I can't remember if Phil's ever commented on that.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Here's the #444 SVX at NOLA:

http://www.murileemartin.com/LNO09/LNO09-1188.html

They appear to have left the fixed glass in AND had the most half-assed theme of all time. Because it's an SVX.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm28/kr4sh/simpsons-mcbain-thatsthejoke.jpg

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

They were a fun bunch with an awful car. Give them a break on the theme, back in '09 most teams hadn't gotten very into themes yet except in CA.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

The car is the theme in their case. smile

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

cpchampion wrote:

They were a fun bunch with an awful car. Give them a break on the theme, back in '09 most teams hadn't gotten very into themes yet except in CA.

Bit your tongue, sir. We had one of our all time best themes to date, same race.

http://www.murileemartin.com/LNO09/LNO09-1778.jpg

and also some of our worst driving to date
http://www.murileemartin.com/LNO09/LNO09-1782.jpg

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

I did say "most." smile
Pollock had his 4-cylinder Mustang done up in a nice My Little Pony getup for that race too.

Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

cpchampion wrote:

I did say "most." smile
Pollock had his 4-cylinder Mustang done up in a nice My Little Pony getup for that race too.

Yeah, we pitted next to each other. I heard someone say at some point "its over there next to the pink car's pits" and I still think that it sounds funny.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:
cpchampion wrote:

Bit your tongue, sir. We had one of our all time best themes to date, same race.

http://www.murileemartin.com/LNO09/LNO09-1778.jpg

and also some of our worst driving to date
http://www.murileemartin.com/LNO09/LNO09-1782.jpg

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/quentin-tarantino-golden-globes-2013.gif

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

One SVX ran three races in '08 - '09. Well, it showed up to three races and basically ran at one of them.

Photo:

The cage... I mean, the horror.  Wowza.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

DC Doug wrote:
therood wrote:

Photo:

Here's a pic from NOLA, where they kept having brake problems. Stupidly hot weekend but fun nonetheless. Cajun Jihad, Shrimp Boots, Danger Ranger, City Garage... fun crowd.
http://www.murileemartin.com/LNO09/LNO09-0578.jpg
Anyone know what these guys moved onto afterward?

74 races so far.

14 (edited by Lemony_Snicket 2013-05-10 08:39 PM)

On-track shot of the Super Violent eXplosion.

http://i.imgur.com/as8Mo7F.jpg

I could have sworn there was another one, but I'm probably wrong.

Proud supporter of the "Bring A Sterling To Lemons" Foundation

I'll make it to an actual race one of these days.  Until then...

My neighbor has two of these. Waiting for the appropriate time to walk over with a handful of hundies and scoop them up.

Good Luck Everybody Else Racing. Yes, we have a fan page.

cpchampion wrote:
DC Doug wrote:
therood wrote:

Photo:

Here's a pic from NOLA, where they kept having brake problems. Stupidly hot weekend but fun nonetheless. Cajun Jihad, Shrimp Boots, Danger Ranger, City Garage... fun crowd.
Anyone know what these guys moved onto afterward?

I think it was inevitable that they moved onto a sweet, sweet release (from the SVX).

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Probably the worst car I ever owned, yet a joy to drive...when it was drivable.  But, shit...I was 20 years old and it felt like I'd arrived.  All for $1200.  Ten years ago.

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

18 (edited by theallpowerfulme 2014-02-23 02:35 AM)

It is 3:30 AM here in Knoxville, and I just got back from the bar to find an email pointing me to this thread. I'm not tired, so read this brief synopsis if you can deal with the errors brought on by my current state of mind.

I am the guy responsible for the terrible SVX.

It all started innocent enough:

A friend and I were talking about doing Lemons racing, which later became a serious consideration when Jay announced the first CMP race (we were based ( and I still live) in Knoxville, TN). After finding a repo'd SVX with stolen cats and a busted ignition (start with screwdriver style) on craigslist for $500, I promptly bought it and the long, downward spiral began.

The car was bought north of Knoxville on the famous Thunder road, so Team Thunder Road was born.

The build was easy enough - the car ran, so all we did was strip the interior, mount the fire extinguisher stolen from under my apartment's sink, and do an oil change. Having absolutely no idea what I was doing (and being a broke college kid), I hired a Ukrainian (spoke limited English) welder that was building a fence on campus to put the cage in the car. The cage... was awful. Your head stuck above the Halo when driving, and it was made out of almost-straight sections of pipe. While driving to CMP, I stop near Chattanooga to bum ONE RACE SUIT THAT WE WOULD ALL SHARE and a helmet from a friend. Then, we go to the Summit Racing store in Georgia, and I buy a harness for the seat.

After arriving in Columbia, SC around 10PM ON FRIDAY we decide to shake-down the car for the first time, in the UPS Depot parking lot near the airport. We were promptly halted by a nice-enough security guard that had somehow heard of the Lemons race on the radio and wished us luck, while telling us to scram.

We arrive at CMP early in the morning on Saturday (race day) and promptly go to late tech inspection. While somehow the cage was easily passed, we were schooled on how to PROPERLY install a harness - and the Snell M rating on my borrowed helmet was not going to cut the mustard. I then bought a blemished S2005 Bell from the vendor at the race for an ass-scalding $500 (but hey, you have to race) - that I still use to this day.

After taking the green flag in a car that had not been tested, we lose 3rd and 4th gear on lap number two. Then on lap 6 the steering shaft disconnects itself from the rack, and I take a trip to the sand pit. Apparently the car had been in an accident and suffered some pretty serious undercarriage damage, which was completely unchecked by a bunch of stupid college kids that were going turd racing.

After being towed to the pits, we examine the damage and spend the next 22 hrs devising different ways to repair the subframe and rack mount. These included a series of worm-gear clamps, and arc welding some combination wrench braces to everything, among other things - none of which worked.

While we took turns wasting efforts on the car, the team members that weren't in a pool of sweat enjoyed meeting other people, watching the race, and answering the "Yes, as a matter of fact it IS an SVX" questions.

Late in the race on Sunday, Jay and Phil came by and asked why our car had not been out on track. We deliriously smiled and told him it was because we were idiots and suck at life, but we made sure to let him know how appreciative we were for the good time. This is why we were awarded the "I got Screwed" award .... Jay said we screwed ourselves. Honestly, if we had not gotten that award, I would have not returned to another Lemons race (its your fault, Jay).

Other fun facts I remember from this race - this summer was a huge price bubble for Gas and Diesel, we filled up the duramax several times paying almost $6 a gallon... yikes!  Also, the naive west-coast Lemons crew may have underestimated how terribly hot and humid it was going to be. I remember seeing Jay, Phil, and the others often spending quite a bit of time inside cars with the A/C blasting.

As stated in an above post - we then ran the first New Orleans race, with a much better grasp on Lemons and racing in general. We also had a new team name: Living Waters Church of Subaru; Beauty of All Wheel Drive Tent Revival - and if you saw us before tech inspection, we were all dressed as evangelists. After we horribly failed the because of the cage, we were dressed a sweaty jerks.

We had manual trans swapped the SVX using Legacy parts, however the brake light switch on the bootleg pedal set was applying the slightest amount of pressure to the brake pedal at all times. We cooked pads all weekend - and raced as long as we could until we ran out of auto parts stores with pads in stock within an hour of the track.

At the New Orleans race, we won the "Should've brought a Swamp Buggy or at least a V8 award". Lemons trophy count: 2

As an aside, that first New Orleans race had the best atmosphere of any of the Lemons race I took part in. Everyone there was awesome and VERY hospitable... we even met Troy, and he was OK!

The last race for the SVX was a CMP race when the car was painted like a white Lacoste shirt (Team Subabros). We actually turned a decent amount of laps, but one of the guys rear-ended a E28 early on sunday, and we lost the unobtanium SVX-specific radiator. Also, I won first-place in the Chili cookoff - Lemons trophy count: 3

The Lemons SVX was sold in as-raced condition to a guy in Huntsville, AL (minus the hood, hanging on my wall) and the current whereabouts are unknown.

The team went-on to field a 1995 200sx in two CMP races, another new Orleans race, and the two chumpcar races in Nashville. The sentra ran well, and led our class in CMP for about a third of the race until we lost a clutch, more clutch problems in New Orleans, and finished third in the first (flood-shortened) chumcar Nashville & fourth in the second chumpcar Nashville. Lemons trophy count: 3 Chumpcar count: 1 (I didn't own the sentra, so the empty wine bottle is my third-place trophy)

The Lemons Sentra lives on in NASA Southeast racing, the owner being an old teammate.

I haven't gone Lemons racing in several years as life has gotten in the way more than a few times...

.... however, I've started thinking again...

..and drinking again...

Change transmissions and could be fine... that's the weakest link.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

That was quite entertaining, thanks for sharing the story.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

chicagozer wrote:

My neighbor has two of these. Waiting for the appropriate time to walk over with a handful of Tens and scoop them up.

FTFY

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4346167721.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/4345437875.html
For those in the Chicago area looking to build a new car........

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

theallpowerfulme wrote:

(snip awesome tale of epic futility)

I haven't gone Lemons racing in several years as life has gotten in the way more than a few times...
.... however, I've started thinking again...
..and drinking again...

Keep an eye on the airfares and on your savings account this year, and come do an arrive & drive in Houston this fall. You know there will be teams looking for drivers, and it'd be good to see you and hopefully some others from the SVX team again.

74 races so far.