Topic: How hard is it to get in with an RX-7?

I've been itchin' to race in a Lemons since I read Jay Lamm's first editorial about it in Sports Car International, and now they're finally planning a race somewhat nearby (Dallas, TX, 4 hour drive). I conned three other co-workers into forming a team, and we looked at our options for cars.

I have a stripped out former-racer RX-7 shell that I bought for $35 from Mark Ackeridge after the engine crapped out at the SCCA Solo Nationals a few years back. I have a parts car I bought for $80. I have a (formerly running) parts car I paid $250 for. I have a stack of blown-up 12A rotaries to play mix-and-match with. We would run a stock suspension (Mark parted out the tri-link setup).

One of my teammates has a turbocharged Eagle Talon. We have no spare parts for it. Mitsubishi reliability + turbocharger reliability + wrecked-once reliability = Not a chance.

Another teammate has a Toyota Corolla that he drives to work to save gas (but he much prefers his G35). We have no spare parts for it.

I'd prefer to race the RX-7 because I am very familiar with them and have a ton of spares. Also I'm a cheap bastard and the car already has a full roll cage.

I've been reading the board this evening, and from what I'm seeing if we build the RX-7 we'd have to turn in some really fabulous, exciting paperwork to get accepted. Tell me it's not so!

Re: How hard is it to get in with an RX-7?

I'm no expert but to incease your chances do NOT enter a German, Japanese or a big American car. Now we got in the first time with a Japanese car but it is a "bigger" one, a Nissan Maxima. I'm not saying you won't or can't get in with a Mazda RX-7, but chances are lower than if you entered something a bit more "rare". You better have a great theme and essay. Also posts have been made that the roll cages in previous race cars are no guarantee it will pass Lemons tech today.

Good luck

Erik,

I am guessing you are trying to get in at Eagle's Canyon.  You chances for acceptance are higher at a new venue.

Nick Pon has stated plenty of times that while more obscure cars improve you odds of an acceptance, you can still get in with a more common car.

My experience is that RX7s are freakin' load!

Put together a good entry and see how it goes.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Your biggest problem might be that its a former race car.  A lot of people will assume its a cheater.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

You might get accepted to a race with an ex-race RX-7, though the Dallas race is going to be popular and all the guys with '74 Coronas, Lancia Zagatos, and Olds Trofeos are going to get jumped ahead of you on the acceptance list. If you get in, you'll probably get raked over the coals by the Lemons Supreme Court during the BS Inspection, because we're going to assume that RX-7 experts with an RX-7 ex-race car are cheating like crazy (and because we're almost as tired of the RX-7 as we are of the E30).

Why not get a Mazda 929? Plenty of power! Rear-wheel drive! Near-certain acceptance! Here's a cheap one in your area.

You've got to play the game. I've got a shop full of Miatas and RX7s, tons of them, and I can make them go fast for nothing... cheap as hell.    What are we racing in Lemons?   A V8 powered Volvo 244 and a clapped out Porsche 928 that has been converted into a station wagon...   Accepted and ready to race.. I know better than to bring a Miata as we're a well know Miata Race shop with national exposure..  If I bring a Miata, if it gets accepted (doubtful) it will be labeled mega-cheater and the penalty laps with be handed down in abundance.  RX-7s as well, we have a bunch and we race 'em.. Cheater street port or Swiss-cheese  motor, easy but boring. My next project- a 1954 Nash Metropolitan..   It'll most likely be accepted...      That's how you have to think...       RX-7 with way cool theme, possible acceptance..   Renault R-10 with a Pratt and Whitney R985 for power,  You're in!

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

get a fiero and put one of those piecemealed 12As in it. THAT I'd like to see!

ifb_mole wrote:

but to incease your chances do NOT enter a German, Japanese or a big American car.

I would disagree on the big amercian car part.  Sure, maybe not another late model Crown Vic but a 70s era eldorado or something would have no troubles getting in.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Step out of your comfort zone and run something else. Making it clear in your entry form that you are RX-7 experts who have chosen to NOT run an RX-7 will show that you're in the right Lemons mindset.

Lots of people do this. We're a bunch of VW/Audi people running 2 neons. Brian is a Chevy expert hacking together Fords for Lemons. Rich could build a competitive E30 from gum wrappers but entered a pickup and an Isuzu in Houston.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

ifb_mole wrote:

I'm no expert but to incease your chances do NOT enter a German, Japanese or a big American car.

German, Japanese, and big American cars are just fine. We're just tired of seeing the same half-dozen car models over and over and over.

Lots of camaros? I'm thinking yes...

Making it clear in your entry form that you are RX-7 experts who have chosen to NOT run an RX-7 will show that you're in the right Lemons mindset.

Whoah! We are not RX-7 experts. Yes, I have four in my driveway. Yes, I do have a bridgeport motor in one that somebody else built. I hoarded a bunch of junk in hopes of building a wicked RX-7, but then I got married. Do I know a lot about RX-7s? Yes, I drove a first gen for ten years. Yes, I have been a mechanic by trade for fifteen years. The other three guys on the team are electronics gurus with some experience dorkin' around with their own cars. None of us have ever raced or crewed professionally.

That said, we're going to build the RX-7 and try to find a second car to build. We can send in two entries, can't we?

EriktheAwful wrote:

Yes, I have been a mechanic by trade for fifteen years. The other three guys on the team are electronics gurus with some experience dorkin' around with their own cars.

When you've got a team packed with dudes who actually know how to build stuff (instead of the kind packed with dudes who just know how to drive on a race track), it's your duty to the Lemons community to use your skills to build some crazy shit!

MurileeMartin wrote:
EriktheAwful wrote:

Yes, I have been a mechanic by trade for fifteen years. The other three guys on the team are electronics gurus with some experience dorkin' around with their own cars.

When you've got a team packed with dudes who actually know how to build stuff (instead of the kind packed with dudes who just know how to drive on a race track), it's your duty to the Lemons community to use your skills to build some crazy shit!

Duly noted!

15 (edited by EriktheAwful 2009-11-15 05:57 AM)

Would a Pulsar NX be quirky enough? How about an early Saturn? Those are the two cars we're considering.

I did see a Peugeot 504D on craigslist, but it would take us until 2011 to get it running. As much as we might owe it to Lemons to do something hilariously quirky, we all work for an employer with heavy time demands.

pulsar would be awesome, Peugot's are pretty much instant entrances, and Saturns aren't a bad choice, not as quirky as the others but no one would consider you a cheater.   Although if you want to stay with mazda rotaries, if you can find an old rx2 or rx100, even if you put in the rx7 drivetrain everyone would be excited to see those old beauties on the track, and you can look down at anyone who has an rx7 on the track.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Every car doesn't have to be a quirky oddball built in a country that specializes in producing wine or vodka.  You can pick any car and get in as long as your entry story is interesting and you have the right attitude.  As long as you "get it", you can get in.  Saturns are very common and do relatively well.  A Pulsar NX would be a great choice.  Lemons HQ and judges LOVE Nissans.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

EriktheAwful wrote:

Would a Pulsar NX be quirky enough? How about an early Saturn? Those are the two cars we're considering.

I did see a Peugeot 504D on craigslist, but it would take us until 2011 to get it running. As much as we might owe it to Lemons to do something hilariously quirky, we all work for an employer with heavy time demands.

Hell yes, a Pulsar would be great! Try to find one with the goofy removable "camper-shell" style roof (I forget Nissan's catchy name for it). We've seen plenty of Saturns, but you've still got a good shat at acceptance with one.