Topic: How many back flags per event

Just wondering how many black flags per event the Lemons supreme court estimates they think they average each race, especially in the West Coast races. A couple of hundred on a dry track seem like a good estimate?

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

Re: How many back flags per event

We usually have 150-180 teams at California races, and we probably average two black flags per team over a weekend. Actually, a quarter of the teams get 6-8 black flags each and another quarter gets zero or one. I think the (number of teams) x2  formula gives you a pretty typical black flag total. Maybe a little lower in the Midwest... and a lot higher in the Northeast.

Judge Phil wrote:

and a lot higher in the Northeast.

whys that?  are they that much more douchey?

Triple Nickel Racing/TGTW Offroad   
#20 Border Patrol Cherokee "BPC" 
#22 Pink in the Middle Comanche "Double D"
#24 Green Door Handle Scrapping Corolla

Lemons drivers in the Northeast are a lot more aggressive than those elsewhere, and a lot of them treat caution flags like yellow traffic signals. The Midwestern racers are the best-behaved. California racers are the biggest whiners, but also tend to be the quickest.

We're all too polite here.. Typical Joliet race... Two drivers approaching a slow yellow Metro..

Neon driver, "You go right ahead..."

BMW driver, "No.. You go..."

Neon driver, "No... I insist..."

Meanwhile a yellow Volvo school bus arrives, "May I?"

Other two, "Oh, most certainly, be our guest!"

Volvo starts to pass...

Metro, pulls over and points all 3 by...

Each driver waves.

It's hard to be fast when we're all out being polite and all....

Although, that tends to be how yellow Metros and Volvo school buses finish in the top 10... Staying out of trouble. 

Judge Phil wrote:

Lemons drivers in the Northeast are a lot more aggressive than those elsewhere, and a lot of them treat caution flags like yellow traffic signals. The Midwestern racers are the best-behaved. California racers are the biggest whiners, but also tend to be the quickest.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

The Northeastern races are always fun, but they're the most work for the Lemons Supreme Court.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

We're all too polite here.. Typical Joliet race... Two drivers approaching a slow yellow Metro..

Neon driver, "You go right ahead..."

BMW driver, "No.. You go..."

Neon driver, "No... I insist..."

Meanwhile a yellow Volvo school bus arrives, "May I?"

Other two, "Oh, most certainly, be our guest!"

Volvo starts to pass...

Metro, pulls over and points all 3 by...

Each driver waves.

It's hard to be fast when we're all out being polite and all....

Although, that tends to be how yellow Metros and Volvo school buses finish in the top 10... Staying out of trouble. 

Judge Phil wrote:

sounds like four folks from the heartland getting to a four way stop at the same time. we all just sit at the sign, determined to let someone else go first.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Judge Phil wrote:

The Northeastern races are always fun, but they're the most work for the Lemons Supreme Court.

Wierd, I'm no less courteous on thetrack than when I'm driving to work on the Jersey Turnpike.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

9 (edited by TheEngineer 2013-05-30 10:20 AM)

Judge Phil wrote:

I have to say, I seemed to see a significantly smaller number of embarrassing penalties at Loudon Annoying 2013 compared to Loudon Annoying 2011. Too many people being bad to have time for good penalties?

I think i can count the number of black flags we've gotten in three years on one hand. We do our best to keep our selves out of trouble. Granted it's hard to get black flags while parked on jack stands.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

http://www.ifc.com/portlandia/videos/po … -no-you-go

I am reminded of this clip from Portlandia

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Sounds somewhat familiar.  Last year at TWS in the Alamo Turdcell, I actually did point-bys on the left and right at the same time...

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

Judge Phil wrote:

...and a lot higher in the Northeast.

I resemble that remark!

Hammerheads Racing
Race, wrench and repeat.
Thompson, CT 2016 - "I got screwed" award; Loudon Annoying 2013 - 36th first finish for the Probelem; Monticello 2013 - Dead Last but we saved on fuel, so.... ; Halloween Hooptiefest 2012 - blowed up the Probelem

Judge Phil wrote:

In the Midwest we race while filled with Bacon and Beer, how are we suppose to be aggressive when we are in that state.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Hard to drive hard and be aggressive hung over and suffering from the meat sweats..  smile

BoB wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

In the Midwest we race while filled with Bacon and Beer, how are we suppose to be aggressive when we are in that state.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

BoB wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

for a social engineering experiment, I'll be cooking bacon for the hot heads at summit point. Let's see how it goes. Same for the season ender most likely.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

psychoboy wrote:

sounds like four folks from the heartland getting to a four way stop at the same time. we all just sit at the sign, determined to let someone else go first.

I grew up in Mass and when I get to a 4 way stop I wait a whole 8 milliseconds  to see if the person who got there first is going to actually go or not. If not then I blow through before anyone else can move. See I am patient.

Swedish Mafia Racing
Volvo, Drive it like you hate it.

Learned to drive in Portland and it took a little while to get used to the East Coast. That being said, our team managed to get 7 black flags at Loudon (3 offs, 4 PUY) so I guess I'm learning?

Boosh.

Our daughter was working the black flag station at Loudon Annoying this year.  Before the rains came and made the note paper all squishy they had 180+ recorded on Saturday alone.  I can double check but I think the total was well over 300 for the weekend, with 88 teams registered.

Dave

ERM Racing:  NHMS 2016 - Organizer's Choice Award. NHMS 2015 - Judge's Choice Award. NHMS 2014 - "Most work to make an Unrecognizable Movie Car Award" Team Ludicrous Speed:  NHMS Fall 2013 - driver, NHMS Spring 2013 -  support crew, NHMS Fall 2012 - Corner Marshal (How not to Flip Your Car)

Well, we got a record doubling 4 BFs at the BFE GP this weekend

The majority of the the team is from the Northeast with 2 of the drivers from Denver (Midwest?).

Not sure where this classifies us?

Rob R.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

spencer.cookson wrote:

Learned to drive in Portland and it took a little while to get used to the East Coast. That being said, our team managed to get 7 black flags at Loudon (3 offs, 4 PUY) so I guess I'm learning?

I learned to drive in New Hampshire, and my one time in the Pacific Northwest I wanted PIT maneuver every other car on the road for driving 10 under the limit everywhere and generally piloting like they'd just had a dozen medicinal brownies.

And unfortunately a bunch of them have decided to move to my area recently. I find driving on the track much more relaxing than driving my boys to school.

Judge Phil wrote:

Us southeastern-er's fly under the radar apparently.  I guess the judges are too busy watching speedycop's plane drive by.

Knoxvegas Lowballers  Metro SVT, Multi-Powertrain-Van, The Hooptiecorn
2013 - Heroic Fix, Judge's Choice, Heroic Fix       2014 - IOE,Class-C Win
2015- Judge's Choice, Class B Win,Class A/Overall Win     2016- Org. Choice, B

cmccabelt1 wrote:
psychoboy wrote:

I grew up in Mass and when I get to a 4 way stop I wait a whole 8 milliseconds  to see if the person who got there first is going to actually go or not. If not then I blow through before anyone else can move. See I am patient.

You are patient since you said you actually stop at the stop sign.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

The Southern racers are much like the Midwestern ones, only better at cheating. They're just happy to be at a race track, so most of them are having a good time all weekend, blowed-up car or not.

We're too polite to cheat in the Midwest.

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

yukadas wrote:

We're too polite to cheat in the Midwest.

Though I find most NWI and I guess the rest for Indiana and lower Michigan polite, being a southerner most of my life I can tell you it ain't nothing like the deep south or southern midwest (OK, TX, KS, etc).  Driving wise, too many folks spend too much time on Chicago roads around and pick really bad habits. 

Sure, the lack of turn signals is the same but the blocking three lanes of traffic so you can make left turn out of the White Castle...that seems to be normal operating proceedure. 

Don't get me started on the passing on the right...even caught myself doing it lately.  Such a dangerous habit but I guess required because even more idiots up here think the left lane is the slow lane!

Bombing the merge...really...you can't just take your turn?