Topic: Another way to get a Get Out Of Jail Free card!

The Lemons Supreme Court needs a very large cardboard box, (e.g., refrigerator or washing-machine box) for a special penalty we'd like to administer at Thunderhill. Must be large enough to fit a racer in full gear. No half-assed taped-together boxes made from 10 little boxes, please. That's right, we're going to start shipping bad drivers to Tierra Del Fuego!

Not as many opportunities to earn GOOJF cards from us at the West Coast races, because we can bring our own pit transportation and other stuff when we drive ourselves. Though perhaps one of you Crown Vic teams could earn one by figuring out what's causing the "Lean Condition Bank One" trouble code in my P71.

2 (edited by hrlyTCH 2009-11-15 08:50 AM)

Re: Another way to get a Get Out Of Jail Free card!

biggest box i got or can get from work is a bumper box for shipping like the rear bumper to a Saturn Vue even includes a clear bo....err.... comes with oversized clear bag to supposedly protect the bumper, uh yeah that what i meant to say about the bag...

anyways what the year of vic and do you know the code other then its lean code like example p1401 (we kept getting this one on ours).could be a number of things im sure you already covered. like: replace the O2, check injectors, or fuel rail just to name a few.

I know on the old Saturn S-series that if you have to crank it over twice to start it the pump is goin out or on the more recent L-series when the pump goes out it usually wont restart it just quits completely and set a lean code and runs the cooling fans at full bore (thats if the car is already on the go when it dies)

I know i mentioned a GM product versus a Ford product relation. In some cases shit quality gas and/or clogged fuel system (because of such poor quality gas maybe) will make for a pain. then, again it could be something minute or easily over looked like chapped wire (the fix to above example with us)...... dunno how i would get a big arsed box over to you guys on the west coast but i can try help with at least half the problem you asked.

Funny, I get the "lean condition bank one" message too, but it's related to the checking account. 
And for the box, is there a size that's too big?  and any need for air holes or other custom touches?

I'll work on a fridge box.. a friend of mine owns the local Sears

hrlyTCH wrote:

anyways what the year of vic and do you know the code other then its lean code like example p1401 (we kept getting this one on ours).could be a number of things im sure you already covered. like: replace the O2, check injectors, or fuel rail just to name a few.

I forget the code number, but it's definitely bank one only. I'm guessing it's one of the oxygen sensors on that bank's exhaust, or maybe a bad fuel injector, or something else that requires me to get my hands dirty on a car that I drive about once every month. Of course, it could be a problem that affects both banks and the ECM isn't getting the right info due to a defective sensor. Anyway, the motivation isn't really there- I only like working on cars when it's a fun project, and I'm mired in Project House Hell at the moment in any case. It drives fine and the next smog check isn't due for another 11 months, so I haven't made it a big priority.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0171

"In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling"

Tim

7 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-11-15 02:33 PM)

timdeckert wrote:

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0171

"In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling"

Tim

I'll try that, since it can't hurt... but wouldn't a bad MAF sensor affect both banks? Damn, I shouldn't have parked the Sprite next to the Crown Vic- the residual Lucas Electrics Field Of Electrical Failure is probably responsible.

For what it's worth, the code I'm getting is indeed 0171.

lol

totally forgot about the MAF sensor thing myself.....
buddy of mine had his mustang all built up and what have you when they got it all back together they over looked the arrow thats embedded on the side of the MAF.
thus it was pointing the wrong way causing a lean peg because it couldn't sample right while driving. then again it never really ran right from the day he got it stock.... his abuse obviously didnt make it much better.

last i heard of him he took it to the strip snapped the lugs off the rear wheel on one side and put it to the wall.....anyways.....

cheers

I'll throw in a can of MAF sensor cleaner.  I've got some.  easily worth a get out of jail free, which we surely won't need, but will be a great addition to our swag pile, or might be good to barter with.

Do you more than one If so Griswald will try to bring one up ,Grandmas a little cold on the roof !

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Hey Judge, what year is your crown vic?
I can plug the code into IATN ( international auto tech network)
fix database and see what comes up.

phil the wrench wrote:

1997 Police Interceptor.

phil the wrench wrote:

Cool can you help fix the bastard CEL on my '96 MX-5?  Code PO470.  I've replaced every part listed in the TSB and still can't get rid of that damn light.   I can't get a new tag until it passes emissions. sad

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

MurileeMartin wrote:
phil the wrench wrote:

1997 Police Interceptor.

It looks like nine times out of ten cleaning the MAF does the trick.
Clean it with a Q tip and denatured alchohol, then disconnect the battery
before driving to relearn fuel curve and BARO reading. someone reccomended several 0to60
runs. Also someone said

The reading for the BARO is set in the computer because computers with MAF's do not have BARO's. I keep looking at the readings I was getting from the PED's about the BARO. The computer was saying that the car was at around 5000 feet level. I didn't know that was changeable.

The right thing I needed to do was remove the SHORTING BAR from the left fender for the computer and drive the car awhile. The computer relearned the new BARO settings. I put the SHORTING BAR back and the car was great. The settings in the PED's change to SEA LEVEL.

Before I learned this I had cleared the codes and did a relearn on the computer but that didn't help. I had use the SHORTING BAR.

Hope this helps

VKZ24 wrote:
phil the wrench wrote:

Cool can you help fix the bastard CEL on my '96 MX-5?  Code PO470.  I've replaced every part listed in the TSB and still can't get rid of that damn light.   I can't get a new tag until it passes emissions. sad

OK this is the last one, I was only doing this for the Judge for the ass kiss factor,
( knew I should've used the PM button) and it probably didn't help.
Only one response for this code and it was on a Miata

Sorry for the time delay for a repair responce,but due to the intermettent nature of this I wanted to be as sure as I can. We followed the advice of a couple of responces and relocated the egr pressure valve and hose to eliminate freezing condensation in vac. hose. Even with a 7 year old car with 54000 miles it and never having this problem before,it seems to have fixed the problem.Thank you for your time and help.

Hope this helps you
Phil the wrench is out

No no no no no!
Don't go anywhere near a Ford MAF with a q-tip. I've seen far too many people break them. Just get a can of MAF (or brake or electrical contact) cleaner, put the straw on, and soak the hot wire.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

I suspect that the problem is in an oxygen sensor, since those are bank-specific on the 4.6 and a bad MAF ought to cause a problem in both banks... but what the hell, I really don't feel like crawling under the car and hooking up test leads to get the voltage off the sensors... and "ought to" is so seldom the case with this kind of thing.

But never mind my car. What about that refrigerator box?