Topic: How do you pronounce "Mayonnaise?"

And other linguistic oddities:

http://www.businessinsider.com/22-maps- … ca-2013-6#

As someone who's lived in Western NY, Jersey, Maryland, and Upstate South Carolina, I can attest to the accuracy of these maps for those areas.  I'm also strangely infatuated with this stuff.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Re: How do you pronounce "Mayonnaise?"

Yup, I'm an Okie.

3 (edited by firegremlin 2013-06-06 09:21 AM)

Mah-yo-nez.

K Car Stalker

Bubbler you fools!!

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

This kind of stuff fascinates me. Looks like I'm mostly aligned with my fellow southern Californians, but agreed with northeasterners for a few things. I blame my Aussie upbringing for that.

The one oddball exception is "pecan." For that, I pronounce it just like Texans, which makes sense because I lived there for 2 years and we had a pecan tree in our yard. Given that I don't like to eat pecans, I probably never uttered the word until I lived with that tree.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

All I know is I cannot order pecan pancakes in Indiana without pointing at the menu.  For Okies, it is P-Kahhhhhn (1-3 h's is also acceptable).  In NWI it is Pee....wait for it....keep waiting...Kan.  I stopped trying and now just have coffee.

I moved from Rhode Island to Indiana.  Was like moving to the other side of the moon.  They all still look at me funny when I talk.  Tried ordering a grinder and a cabinet, and the sent me to Lowe's.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Interesting; I fit in with some of them, but not others.  I know I used to call it pop before I was stationed in Tennessee and Virginia for a while; I've been calling it soda ever since.  And I call it man-aze; it appears others may have been making fun of me behind my back for all these years...

Perennial Losers
Mazda 787b aka '75 914 - Org Choice @ The Ridge, 2015; IGS @ TH, 2018
BMW M1 Procar aka '80 RX-7 (retired) - Zero awards sad

I pernounce it "mir-i-cal h-wip".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mnAC5KWvJc#t=0m09s

Hoagie

Rally Baby 87 Audi 4KQ, Audi 90 Quattro Coupe, 1975 Mercedes R107, 87 E30s, E36s, the Whorenet, Rocco...
J. Phil: "Audis Never Win".  He might be right.But!, the K Dominates 2013 NJ and NH (not, but...). 
Stafford 2011 podium, 2nd NJMP 2013, Summit Point 2012 "WV ASSimilation award"
NJMP 2012 Organizer's Choice - R107, 2013 Monticello IOE Whorenet ! Organizers, CMP fall 2013 w/NSF

Hey I'm from Picksburgh and I have no idea what yinz are talkin bout.

It Ain't My Fault

My name is Brett and I'm from New Zealand.
If I had a dollar for every time I have had this conversation In would be a rich man.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy1cOn5vGc4

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Dave wrote:

I was sad that yinz (you'uns) didn't even register on the map as a blip. sad

I too love geeking out over language.

My accent is mostly Texan but subtleties are from all over the place... born in Pittsburgh, raised in AZ & TX by parents from WV & TX, plus time in MO & MA, so what else should I expect?

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

My dad makes the best peek in pie.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Mayo

May-oh

This space for rent.

Mike98036 wrote:

Interesting; I fit in with some of them, but not others.  I know I used to call it pop before I was stationed in Tennessee and Virginia for a while; I've been calling it soda ever since.  And I call it man-aze; it appears others may have been making fun of me behind my back for all these years...

what are you... oh you want a coke! what kind, Dr P, Pepsi, sprite?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

I've been on the fence about taking out vast quantities of student loans to go back to school for an advanced degree in Linguistics, since I minored in it. In the end, I doubt I'll ever do that, since I've forgotten most everything important, but I did enjoy the regional diction stuff I went over.

This particularly stuck with me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangier,_Virginia#Language

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

I'm surprised that "hero" got its own color designator but "po-boy" didn't. You can see the big blank space over Louisiana.

cpchampion wrote:
Dave wrote:

I was sad that yinz (you'uns) didn't even register on the map as a blip. sad

I too love geeking out over language.

My accent is mostly Texan but subtleties are from all over the place... born in Pittsburgh, raised in AZ & TX by parents from WV & TX, plus time in MO & MA, so what else should I expect?

I too was disappointed about the absence of 'yinz'.  While I'm not from P-burgh muself, I have some friends/ former co-workers who are.  I like dropping a little 'yinz' every now and then.  And some Iron City Ale. 

Interesting about the pronunciation of "Bowie Knife" in Maryland and Texas being different.  Indeed, there is a town named "Bowie, MD", and everyone pronounces it "Bow-wee".

'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"

20 (edited by psychoboy 2013-06-07 05:52 AM)

"bow" as in take a bow, or "bow" as in bow-tie?

in truth, it should be boo...since that was the guy's name and all.  the update on the map suggests that Bowie MD is properly pronounced boo-ie there, too.

of course David Bo-E is more popular than Jim Boo-E is...so I'm not surprised most of the country chooses that version.

this article was clearly written by a soda guy or a pop guy, since he thinks Coke is a brand name in the south. Coke is like Kleenex or Xerox, the brand name covers the entire market.

if it's fizzy and sweet, it's a coke. even if it's yellow, orange, red, or clear.

"I'm goin' to Sonic, y'all want some cokes?"
"sure!"
"what kind?"
"dr pepper"

speaking of "y'all", i think that map is a little short sighted.

in most of oklahoma at least, y'all is reserved for addressing groups of people. it's literally used as the plural of you.
in other parts of the south, y'all can refer to just one person.

when a posse comes on your land, "what are y'all doin' here?" is a relatively valid statement.
when the sheriff comes on your land all by himself, "what are y'all doin' here?" is not....tho it's still common.

i'm sad that ron white's favorite difference isn't referenced.

COO-pon, CUE/QUE-pon, or cooPin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClQuI8ds_dg

(i can't see youtube at work , so hopefully this is the right link)

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

psychoboy wrote:

"bow" as in take a bow, or "bow" as in bow-tie?

in truth, it should be boo...since that was the guy's name and all.  the update on the map suggests that Bowie MD is properly pronounced boo-ie there, too.

of course David Bo-E is more popular than Jim Boo-E is...so I'm not surprised most of the country chooses that version.

this article was clearly written by a soda guy or a pop guy, since he thinks Coke is a brand name in the south. Coke is like Kleenex or Xerox, the brand name covers the entire market.

if it's fizzy and sweet, it's a coke. even if it's yellow, orange, red, or clear.

"I'm goin' to Sonic, y'all want some cokes?"
"sure!"
"what kind?"
"dr pepper"

speaking of "y'all", i think that map is a little short sighted.

in most of oklahoma at least, y'all is reserved for addressing groups of people. it's literally used as the plural of you.
in other parts of the south, y'all can refer to just one person.

when a posse comes on your land, "what are y'all doin' here?" is a relatively valid statement.
when the sheriff comes on your land all by himself, "what are y'all doin' here?" is not....tho it's still common.

i'm sad that ron white's favorite difference isn't referenced.

COO-pon, CUE/QUE-pon, or cooPin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClQuI8ds_dg

(i can't see youtube at work , so hopefully this is the right link)

Bowie, MD actually gets pronounced mostly 2 ways in this area, Boo-We and Bo-We (Bo like bow and arrow).

PA also has several, but the one that comes to mind first is Lancaster.

I too enjoy dialects and accents.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

22 (edited by psychoboy 2013-06-07 06:44 AM)

I used to work for AT&T wireless customer care serving the whole country, and people would constantly ask me where I was from, because I usually didn't sound anything like them and I clearly wasn't in India. When I'd tell them I was in Oklahoma, they'd invariably say  "no...where are you from?" I'd tell them I was from Oklahoma, and had lived here my whole life. "You have absolutely no accent," to which I'd respond "my mother thanks you for the compliment."

I'll slip into a Texas-like drawl if the situation warrants, but some people who don't know me start getting freaky when that drawl is paired with my typical lexicon and word speed. Apparently, people who grew up south of the Mason-Dixon line aren't allowed to know any big words that aren't in the bible and aren't allowed to think any faster than molasses.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Accents are very interesting. I can think of 4-5 very distinct ones just in Virginia. Of course to an outsider they're all the same...

Yes, I meant "Boo-wee".  "Bow (like bow and arrow) wee" is how the rest of the country says it.  ;-)

VA has this neat accent...I think it's called the Dominion accent.  I like very much to listen to people who speak it.  It sounds sort of like a very dignified Foghorn Leghorn.

mechimike wrote:

Yes, I meant "Boo-wee".  "Bow (like bow and arrow) wee" is how the rest of the country says it.  ;-)

VA has this neat accent...I think it's called the Dominion accent.  I like very much to listen to people who speak it.  It sounds sort of like a very dignified Foghorn Leghorn.

Every one in a blue moon ill get one on the phone, and I cant help but picture them this way:
http://paulfite.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/colonel-sanders.jpg

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs