Re: please tell me about lights?

mackwagon wrote:

I thought chump limits you to the Hella 500 and only 4 lights??

They have threatened to require four Hella 500s as "spec" lighting, but have not yet done it. They do have a maximum of four lamps, though. If I'm only allowed four lights, they'd better be REALLY GOOD lights!

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

widgetsltd wrote:

We ran 4 new Hella 500 driving lights in the Chump race this past April at Buttonwilow...and they were terrifyingly poor.

Hellas I think are quite sensitive to the beam pattern that you buy (they have three or four options) and being aimed correctly.  I've had no issues driving with four Hellas, but I've always known the track well by the time I did night laps.

#(1)75 (was #74) Dirt Cheap Racing (driver/wrench/cool suit cooler fabricator/accountant/substitute captain) - '88 Mustang turbo-4, in garish stickers over spray chrome!
2011 - Garrapatas (11th / 3rd in B), Heaps in the Heart of Texas (19th / 3rd in B)
2012 and 2013 - Lemons didn't fit into our schedule
2014 - Heaps in the Heart of Texas

Chump rule, 4  lights max, 35w HID fine but no HID conversions in conventional housings, Hella 500s unmodified are fine.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

More stupid chump rules. Nobody should be surprised.

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

as much as i'm not a fan of the chump rulebook...i don't have a problem with rational limits on projecting lights.

HID bulbs in non-HID housings make for terrible lights, track or street. it's nigh impossible to get the HID filament where the halogen filament was, and the reflector design is based on where the filament is...everything else is scatter.

a quick glance in a wink mirror can easily confuse a bevy of lights on one car on your bumper for a handful of lights on several cars way behind you.

our civic's stock housings with quality bulbs were great at the last 24, our miata's last minute smattering of aftermarket lights was nearly helpful.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

checking in
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/InDashop/Lemons/74907dc7.jpg

daytime
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/InDashop/Lemons/5c85c581.jpg

Triple Nickel Racing/TGTW Offroad   
#20 Border Patrol Cherokee "BPC" 
#22 Pink in the Middle Comanche "Double D"
#24 Green Door Handle Scrapping Corolla

So which beem patterns should you get, or should you get a couple different ones according to how you aim it.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

For beam pattern, my opinion is that you want basically a pencil beam, straight out in front with minimal spread for the two driving lights, and if you're using fogs for the cornering beams (at a 45 degree angle) you should be just fine.

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

psychoboy wrote:

any standard 5 pin bosch relay will stand up to Lemons duty. use one relay per light if you don't want to worry about them, they are cheap and easy to find.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/benimur/2012-06-11_092840_bosch_relay_2.jpg

Also 90s BMWs have a detachable housing for these, and a box which holds four or six of them (not on the picture)
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/russian239/misc/20130706_092744_zps133eab43.jpg

What would be the best Junkyardmotorsports OEM pick for the actual headlight? Something easy to remove & easy to mount? Or do I go with the youngest headlight I can find?

(I will keep talking to myself)

So, they guys on the lights/flashlights forum have mentioned that it's good if both beams are projectors, not reflectors. The only car in the yard with both projectors was infinity j30, but the headlights were damaged.

My second choice was anything with two separate bulbs instead of a combined bulb (I am not sure why I want that. Are both beams on at the same time, or is it only the hi-beams in the hi-beams mode? My idea was to run both beams at the same time) and a real glass - looks like only these stay clear by the time they reach the yards.

The most common car with glass headlight - 1990–1993 Honda Accord, but the headlight assembly is too large if you grab the whole thing including adjustment hardware, and the mounting points are really odd. It would be a pain to mount it anywhere not stock.

My final choice was 850 Volvo. First of all, it's turbo charged, we can always use a couple extra HP. There is a build-in level and the mounting pattern is a blessing - just three bolts in the same plane. Real glass.

Question: what is the function of this crappy plastic
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/russian239/festiva%20misc/20130724_161250_zpsb9894393.jpg

in front of this high-beam Integra light
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/russian239/festiva%20misc/20130724_161318_zps25053636.jpg
?

How crazy would it be to mount it without the plastic cover - what kind of beam would I get?

I have a pair of volvo headlights and four of these hi-beam projectors. My options are
1) throw everything away
2) point the volvo lights forward and the projectors sideways as corner lights
3) point projectors forward and use volvo lights as corner lights

Thoughts? Please stop me from killing myself in the dark.

37 (edited by ppressle 2013-08-02 12:16 PM)

You can usually clean the haze off the plastic lenses with normal rubbing compound.  I would recommend protecting either glass or plastic lenses with the clear plastic paint protection film.

I had good luck with the BMW e34 low beam projector housings with HIDs inside.

Apex lights are incredibly important.   we use 2 low beam apex lights and two low beam forward pointing lights.

Option 3 of course.

The projector headlights excel at throwing light out far. and they are designed for that, unless they are weird fog lights or off road lights.
Use the standard lamps for the short distance stuff. They will have a wider beam and be better suited for that.

ditch the busted plastic covers.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

mackwagon wrote:

ditch the busted plastic covers.

Are these just covers or some kind of a lens also?