Topic: Late Penalties for driver changes at the track

Just got this in an automated email for our Buttonwillow race.

"Late penalties: To streamline the on-site late registration process, we have two very simple policies:

1. Non-preregistered drivers must pay a flat $200 entry fee, regardless of what your team has already paid. This includes drivers who are replacing preregistered drivers.

2. If you are a preregistered driver but have not purchased a Lemons license online, you must purchase a one-time-use license at the track for the same $50 as the online annual license.

Put simply: Not on the list? $200. On the list with no license? $50."

In the past we have had someone on our team fill for another who could not make it, because S^%! happens. He had a current comp license and Nick just swapped the name out in his computer. So what I see here is that if this happens again we will have to run a driver short, or they will have to pay an additional $200, even if they have a comp license. This seems a little harsh HQ. We always pay our fees in advance of when they are due and have current comp licenses.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

Re: Late Penalties for driver changes at the track

I'm guessing this is due to too many people doing this at the races.  Having to sort through all this for drivers plus trying to get everyone who had actually registered on time through there stuff is taking up a lot of time, add in a race of 125 or so teams, they are probably doing this to discourage the people who can't decide before they close the database like a week or so before the race.  Yes it does seem harsh if you are the ones who need to switch drivers but it doesn't really seem that unusual of a thing to do, in fact it seems almost standard practice now a days for last minute people to have to pay more than those who signed up in advance.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

3 (edited by DC Doug 2013-06-17 09:13 PM)

^this.

8,000+ driver slots across all races annually and a liability need to track and document it all.  It's easy and seamless when you do it online and on-time.  They've operated with the most liberal and forgiving policy of any series - actually, policy has always been to register on-time w/ the car/team/crew that you're going to bring - but, they've been very nice about on-the-fly changes.  Regardless, it's not like they ultimately refuse to let you change drivers at the last minute.

To clarify on who pays what as I understand it... the new or late registering driver pays the $100 driver fee plus an additional $100.   The MIA driver, if there is one, forfeits his/her driver fee ($100).

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Anytime you got to PAY you won't do it again!

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

...and there you go.

'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Lemons is way lenient. A $100 penalty to sign up a driver at the race is generous in my opinion. I would make the driver who clearly doesn't have their priorities straight pay the penalty.

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

Does the system know if the license will expire before the actual race day?  I always wondered if we were not paying attention if our license could expire like a few days before and cause a problem.

5x loser - and just all around not very good
My Crappy Blog
Former Sex Pistons Craptain
And it feels so funny, like bathing in honey...

Your Lemons license expiry is in the system. It won't let you fully register as a driver if it's to expire prior to the race you're registering for.

Jesus, this is going to kill me. If this had been policy from day one I'd never have been able to keep doing this nonsense.

$%@$ happens to people, things that are beyond my control. And yet I'm the only one on the team this new rule hurts.

From here on out if someone drops (and they NEVER drop at a good time) I've basically got few choices, try to entice any last minute replacements with the idea of paying significantly more than everyone else (to drive a car that really wouldn't be worth that cost), eat the loss out of my wife's & I own pocket, or penalize whoever had the emergency.

Otherwise I shoulder the risk of running without the "cursed 4th driver" and a significant chunk of our race budget, which means eating a huge loss. Just one or two of those and we'll have to put a kibosh on all this ZomBee/Lemons nonsense.

I just can't foresee what's going to happen to other people months in advance. Nor can anyone, really. I guess I could just be a hard-ass and penalize anyone who drops out due to life. I'm sure that will entice new drivers, make me lots of friends and keep my roster full of happy campers. (not)

I can totally see the reasons of issuing a penalty. Hell, they should make it $500 to really teach people a lesson. But I don't think the ones they want to punish are necessarily the ones who are going to actually be spanked, mainly the small-time 1-man shows with weird cars.

I rarely have to make a track change, but it's always close. I'll probably be clucking out of any races that look questionable, and that's pretty much been every race.

A huge downer for the ZomBee.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Sparky Pete wrote:

I guess I could just be a hard-ass and penalize anyone who drops out due to life.

I do not see it as being a hard ass.  They made a commitment.  They made their deposit.  If a replacement can be found, they are only out the "penalty" so the new driver does not have to pay it.  If the replacement cannot pay full fare, they are out the difference plus the $100 penalty so they still get something back.

Honestly, it is a lot like a B&B.  30 days out (sometimes 14), max refund is usually 50%...which is what you deposited at booking.  I once lost 100% of a booking fee when I got trapped in a sandstorm in Al Asad...the Prague Hotel did not give a shit.

Think of it as a pre-booked vacation.  You pay up front to GUARANTEE your spot to have fun.  If you fail to have fun, the deposit is still forfeit.

OnkelUdo wrote:
Sparky Pete wrote:

I guess I could just be a hard-ass and penalize anyone who drops out due to life.

I do not see it as being a hard ass.  They made a commitment.  They made their deposit.  If a replacement can be found, they are only out the "penalty" so the new driver does not have to pay it.  If the replacement cannot pay full fare, they are out the difference plus the $100 penalty so they still get something back.

Honestly, it is a lot like a B&B.  30 days out (sometimes 14), max refund is usually 50%...which is what you deposited at booking.  I once lost 100% of a booking fee when I got trapped in a sandstorm in Al Asad...the Prague Hotel did not give a shit.

Think of it as a pre-booked vacation.  You pay up front to GUARANTEE your spot to have fun.  If you fail to have fun, the deposit is still forfeit.

Works great in theory.

IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

i think it is the wrong way to go about it.  I knew of two people who wanted to drive (my brother fro just Saturday and Sophie) who both didn't because of the cost.  I understand the administration hassles, but this is not going to help them in the long run.  Basically this is a tax, and taxes do nothing but discourage participation, not so much shift behavior.

off the cuff I am not sure what the solution should be, but this isn't it.  This will lead to less interest instead of more.  It will also lead to people registering and not paying.

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

Sorry I agree with the fee, and I'm shocked by how many people are put off by it.

Race cars/teams don't run on hopes and dreams they run on money.  You commit and pay, you get there, or you lose.  My team understands that, and I have a waiting list of guys to run my car (when it actually runs again) who understand the risk as well.

This isn't a day at the go karting track, theres insurance and so on that needs to be taken care of.  And if you haven't seen the Lemons guys are busy/short staffed as is.  This is not gonna slow things down one bit.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

14 (edited by Spank 2013-07-04 09:34 AM)

I'm with Pete. This costs me drivers when I'm already unable to fill seats. I've had to implement a no refunds policy for the initial $250 deposit and those drivers who've been hit are not coming back.

I have never allowed drivers to show up and pay at the track..  I am that annoying type who makes lists each week for months in advance for what I need to get ready on the car before the race, pre plan my budget for the races for the full year, and start looking for drivers months in advance and look for 1 more than I actually want and it seems to work out very well. 

I am just not hard core.. we only work on the spitfire for 3-5 hours once a week so the few races a year we do it is all relax, fun, no rushing, no blowing budgets,  and we seem to be doing OK.  Ever sense I saw the Rusty Hub dub us as performing "Less-Than-Stellar" I was like .. yup that is how we roll..

But we love it and it works for us.... and besides our very first race...  we always go home with each driver satisfied with the amount of seat time they got.

With that said.. if every team was like mine.. Lemons would not be nearly is great as it is... so I have to side with Pete and Spank.. please don't limit them from taking in drivers who pull it out of their ass at the last second if at all possible.. Please!

5x loser - and just all around not very good
My Crappy Blog
Former Sex Pistons Craptain
And it feels so funny, like bathing in honey...

I understand the problems of the penalty, but in this forum I have read far to many people suggesting to register your drivers last minute at the track.  It was making it sound like it was the norm for many teams. Not when something unforseen or horrible happens, just how they run their team to have a couple drivers wait until the last possible minute to pay, and taking advantage of Lemons HQ.  So its the teams abusing the system that ruined it for everyone else.

How I've always run my A&D, is that they pay nothing until we are accepted, and then they pay in full before the pay deadline for Lemons.  If they backout they will get a refund if we find a replacement driver of whatever they pay.  That might have to be what you guys do.  The driver backing out, if a replacement driver can't be found before the DB closes they might get penalized the extra money.  That may motivate them to find a replacement for them.

Facebook Page

17 (edited by Spank 2013-07-05 07:49 AM)

I know it's the right thing to do for the business. I understand allowing changes late in the game is a logistical problem. I don't want special treatment for me or my drivers. I don't think I've ever had to change drivers between the closed database and race day, but I have had to add a driver a couple of times to fill an otherwise empty seat.

Apologies to all if I helped spur the implementation of this rule.

How late can someone become "preregistered" and avoid the extra $100 driver fee?

I think this can be translated to: how far ahead of the race does the database close?

I'm looking back at my emails from previous races.  I see a note on April 9th that the database for Gingerman is closing April 10th at midnight.  The event is run on April 20th and 21st.

So, essentially you have 10 days prior to tech that you need to have everything locked down.  Is that unreasonable for Spank and Pete?  Cause, I, too, don't want to harm creative entries who sometimes get impulse drivers.  For me, 10 days seems reasonable.  And I'm bringing a slow piece of crap to high-speed Road America.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

See, my co-captain and I disagree on this as well. He is the guy that is telling driver's to just show up at the track and we will do whatever and Lemons will be cool with it.

Im the guy saying that you have to get off your ass and make a decision and pay up, etc no later than a week before the race, period. We had a guy who lost his dad the week of the race, so was surely not able to be there. He had a friend of his give him some cash for his entry, and Lemons told us what and how to do it to get him an arm band. That was cool, and guess what, its worth $100 if that is what you need to do. I dont think that should be anything that should happen more than once in a while, but since then my co-captain has done it twice with friends, and I hate it.

IF Lemons is ok with it, but charge extra at the door, then that is cool with me. Try to change a plane ticket the day of, and see if it wont cost you money

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Spank I doubt it was any one individual who caused this, probably more of a trend they saw starting and figured they had to nip this in the bud now before they had to do all the registration work at the track.

Facebook Page

Like I said I never have trouble filling the Bee's seats. It's just thanks to its very nature the car attracts a higher than normal number of newbies, and we regularly loose folks who split off to build their own awesome TR4/Sonnett/Humber/S10/Twin Engine'd monsters etc etc. I don't complain, because most the folks who have piloted the Bee have gone on to create some of the coolest c-class cars on the $@#& track.

But as a result the Bee also has to deal with higher numbers of rotations, which also means last minute flakes and B.S. as a percentage of the pure numbers.

Again, I rarely have to make changes at the track (haven't done so in a year or two) but it does on occasion happen in spite of all my work putting and keeping good teams together.

And now when that does happen, it WILL hurt me.

The worst are those returning/experienced drivers (those who know better) that sit on the seat *committed* until it's time to pay up.  Suddenly they get hard to reach, delay, and at the last minute offer up some kind of lame excuse. This leaves me with an empty seat and very little time left to fill it. The dreaded 4th seat syndrome. Meanwhile while folks who really WERE committed have since found and committed to other rides. That leaves me scrambling, sometimes right up to the last minute. This is what happened at Buttonwillow, and I almost lost my ass.

They know better, and aren't invited back because it's a dick move.

Luckily Steve McDaniel and Brandon Spears stepped in and saved our asses with minutes to spare. (BRAVO!!)

I'll have to make some changes, we'll have to wait & see how/if it all works out. This is all becoming VERY serious. this Lemons thing.

It's the time between when I have to pay the fees and the database is locked that is now giving me ulcers.

I've told people who will be driving my car that they need to pay 50% when they register online and the other 50% before they get in the car.  It would seem to me that having some skin in the game would get people to be a bit more 'committed'.  But, I'm a newbie as far as running my own team goes.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

DC Doug wrote:

Your Lemons license expiry is in the system. It won't let you fully register as a driver if it's to expire prior to the race you're registering for.

Except it let me, team owner go with no "Not ready" flags to Buttonwillow. Honest. I checked at D-base closing because that is part of being owner/manger. Nick sad that can't happen and waived the fee, but I'm here to say it did...

It looks like to be 100% sure you need to check your own driver page, and you should do so before d-base closes.

PITA.

Drivers are still portable between cars, so we will only be recruiting replacements from already reg'd drivers if someone flakes.

As Pete says, this WILL hurt me - it is VERY difficult to get drivers for Scrubby. Paying drivers that is.

PITA

I forgot - Post B-willow, as in when I got home, it said "NOT OK" (as per previous, I checked it before and it WAS OK)
I suspect the expire was on the same day as D-base closing, and at midnight the gremlins ate it.
That or my renewal got eaten by the great CC machine in the sky ~ but I can't find record of that...

Just sayin' due dilegence and add more paperwork to your team leader's plate.

PITA