Topic: Battery box needed for trunk-mounted battery?

We've mounted our battery in the trunk to better protect it and I'm wondering if we need to protect it in a box or not. The fuel tank is also in the trunk, between the shock towers and the battery is mounted solidly to the trunk floor farther back. Don't want to get surprised at Thunderhill tech and learn we need a box.

Re: Battery box needed for trunk-mounted battery?

boxes are cheap, dunno the official ruling but if I was putting my battery anywhere near the fuel I'd use a box

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Is it legal to relocate a fuel tank to inside the trunk? I guess the rules don't forbid it, but I thought the intent of the fuel rules was stock or fuel cell.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Fuel needs to be seperated from the passenger compartment by a metal patrician.

The battery and fuel being in the trunk together may be an issue but I don't know anything official on it.  I think it should be okay and a battery box would be good cheap insurance measure.

3.14: Battery: All batteries must be fully secured via proper, purpose-built battery brackets, battery frames, or sealed battery boxes. Zip ties, bungee cords, duct tape, macrame plant holders, and other lame workarounds won't cut it. Positive ("hot") terminals must be in a sealed battery box or covered with insulating material.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Note that "insulating material" includes duct tape if you run out of time/money. We tried to get one of our co-drivers to just lay comfortably in our capacious trunk and hold his hand over the positive terminal but the tech inspectors said our cage didn't extend far enough for that. Go figure. smile

Solracer wrote:

We've mounted our battery in the trunk to better protect it and I'm wondering if we need to protect it in a box or not. The fuel tank is also in the trunk, between the shock towers and the battery is mounted solidly to the trunk floor farther back. Don't want to get surprised at Thunderhill tech and learn we need a box.

You will be fine as long as the battery is securely mounted and the terminals are covered (duct tape).

Team Formula BMW
Finishing order: 44th, 44th, 19th, 10th, 5th, 10th, 5th
We will win some day smile

I got shot down for using duct tape last month in Houston. They made me peel it off and replace it with regular black electrical tape. Don't ask me why one is better than the other.

EvergreenDan wrote:

Is it legal to relocate a fuel tank to inside the trunk? I guess the rules don't forbid it, but I thought the intent of the fuel rules was stock or fuel cell.

Sorry, didn't make it clear but the tank mounted between the shock towers is the factory location for the 505.

Fuel cell and battery box in the very rusty trunk of our '61 Cadillac at Nelson Ledges:

http://ronman.org/pics/Lemons/lamest_day/img_6361_std.jpg
http://ronman.org/pics/Lemons/lamest_da … 61_std.jpg

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

ronman wrote:

Fuel cell and battery box in the very rusty trunk of our '61 Cadillac at Nelson Ledges:

lol, looks more like a deployable air-fuel bomb with that rusty of a trunk basin.

It's just surface rust... at least. most of it. big_smile

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Reading this thread it seems that a box is not required if the battery is in a trunk separated from the rest of the car. Would that be accurate?

I think the rule would be intended for batteries in the passenger compartment, or hatchbacks with an open area between the driver and the 'trunk'. We have the trunk separated from the passenger compartment by the factory sheet metal structure. So we don't need a sealed box, correct?

Sorry to drag up an old thread but it seemed better than starting a new one.

Thanks.

Sweetish Fish BMW E30 #93

1.  our battery is wide open, not in a box, and sits next to the driver.  It's got a huge heavy piece of metal bolted over the top of it.  The hold-down is overbuilt, it's not gonna let the battery move.  This satisfies one part of the rule.  it's a standard type car battery, not a fancy sealed gel thing

2. the positive terminal is covered with plastic and taped over.  this satisfies the other part of the rule.

the car did several races last year and has passed john's inspection a few times.

if you box it with a lid, then you wouldn't have to specifically cover the positive terminal. it doesn't say you have to use a box.

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

The battery should be strapped secure - no movement - even then a 200 lb man grabs it and tries to move it.
Electric tape is never a conductor.  Duct tape is sometime a conductor.

Put it in-cabin behind the driver centered.  Why the need to put it near the cell?

best...

This space for rent.