Topic: The other series. Talk me in or out of trying it out.

Ok so I don't want this to become a slanging match I know the essential differences and to be honest one of the things most discouraging me from trying it out is the crap spouted on their fourm about our series.

So what I want to know is has anyone here run a semi competitive class B Lemons car in a chump race that attracts around 30 cars? Will we be smoked by the uber cheaty BMWs and basically be paying for a track day?

I'm only considering this due to crappy Midwest scheduling by our series and a race at home seems to make financal sense even at $1200 for car and drivers plus licenses and number board and lights for the hour or two when we may need them.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Re: The other series. Talk me in or out of trying it out.

Forum chatter never matches real life over there, everyone is friendly and usually accommodating in person Not going to say what you should do but there is no more license fee, and you will be smoked but finish decently enough if you are mostly trouble free.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Brett85p wrote:

...to be honest one of the things most discouraging me from trying it out is the crap spouted on their fourm about our series.

Last time we ran a Chump race, the organizer laid a blanket insult on Lemons drivers from the podium during the awards ceremony. They must have assumed that nobody at that race runs in both series...or maybe they just didn't care. That left a pretty bad taste in our mouths.

So what I want to know is has anyone here run a semi competitive class B Lemons car in a chump race that attracts around 30 cars?

Yes I have. BIR, 2011 and 2012.

Will we be smoked by the uber cheaty BMWs and basically be paying for a track day?

Yes you will. Based on my experience at Autobahn, our Beretta and your Celica are almost evenly matched. In the midwest, we have found that the majority of Chump teams, especially the BMWs, are on another level entirely. We have the power, you have the grip; they have both and are driving at 9.5/10 because they don't have to fear the black flag nearly as much as they would in Lemons. That said, not all teams are super fast, and I disagree with the idea that you would "basically be paying for a track day." There will be teams slower than you, and probably a couple that are around the same speed; you can still race with them and have a good time. The people are not all jerks; we've met some really nice guys at Chump races. In fact, the vast majority of Chump racers are really nice guys. But a lot of them are also really serious about (and much more financially invested into) racing, more so than we will ever be.

I'm only considering this due to crappy Midwest scheduling by our series...

Us too. That's why we'll be going back to BIR to race Chump for a third time this year.

...and a race at home seems to make financal sense even at $1200 for car and drivers plus licenses and number board and lights for the hour or two when we may need them.

We don't care about winning Chump trophies or ChumpChange™, so we are racing in EC (Exception Class) this year. Also exempts us from their valuation system, which does not look kindly on our engine swap + ghettocharger setup. I could probably make a believable budget (at least as believable as what other teams submit) but it would be a lot of work, and why bother? We're not going to win, or even contend for anything anyway.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

reason not to race chump: you most likely will never find my bacon at a chump event.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

I say give it a try. If you like it, try it again. If you don't, you don't have to go back. Each region seems to have a different flavor/vibe so what you hear about one region may not be the scene in your region.

From what I have seen (we haven't run Chump... yet), the fastest teams in Lemons in the midwest (Bucksnort, etc) can win in Chump also.  I have gathered it is just a different vibe in that series.  They seem to be running on the opinion that it is superior (compared to 24HOL) because it is semi-serious (at least, as serious as racing rustbuckets can be).

Frankly, it would be a nice way to get additional track time and do some testing.  I would do the EC class also.  We wouldn't win anything over there.  If our personal/professional lives allowed the time to do it, we probably already would have.  Now, if 24HOL offered more Midwest races, I would do those over anything else.

I say, go give it a run, and report back to us.  smile

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

We have been  contemplating the other series just for the tracks they run.

Road Atlanta
VIR
Watkins Glen
Laguna Seca
Nelson Ledges
Gateway Motorsports Park

Those are all tracks on my bucket list (ok maybe not the last two). Just to make up for the pathetic midwest schedule we are trekking to NJ in August and Carolina in Sept which adds greatly to our costs for the weekend. We are also going to Road America in November even though it will probably suck.

And by the way, can't these two series coordinate their races better? Who thought it was a good idea to have the Joliet Autobahn race the same weekend as Chump's Michigan Gingerman race? Because of that there were only like 80 cars at Autobahn.

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

mhrir wrote:

And by the way, can't these two series coordinate their races better? Who thought it was a good idea to have the Joliet Autobahn race the same weekend as Chump's Michigan Gingerman race? Because of that there were only like 80 cars at Autobahn.

I thought that was actually just about perfect. smile

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

Whatever you do, don't try to bribe the Chump judges.

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

Our team runs both.  In teh early days of Chump, we podiumed with our Lemons car.

Now, we finish in teh upper 10 to 20% at the VIR 24hrs.

We will be running the Nelson Ledges Race and VIR 24 this year.

I am eager to find out how our new car stacks up.

They do take the racing more serious in Chump.  The drivers are not any better, just more aggressive.

I think it is funny how they poo poo Lemons.  I would say the majority of the field at either event is made up of the same people!

Rob R.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

In person there is no poo pooing of anyone, we just raced Charlotte, another top 10 for us and had no issues or animosity running side by side of a astro turf covered goal post donning kia, if anything a personal observation of "A" class podium cars (running over there) are of awe as they tend to do just as well as pushier chumps but drive cleaner

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

obsolete wrote:

There will be teams slower than you, and probably a couple that are around the same speed; you can still race with them and have a good time. The people are not all jerks; we've met some really nice guys at Chump races. In fact, the vast majority of Chump racers are really nice guys. But a lot of them are also really serious about (and much more financially invested into) racing, more so than we will ever be.

That's much like my experience in the 2 TX Chump races I've been in. Go give it a try. Even if there are a few more serious E30/ex-Spec Miata teams ahead of you at the end of the day, it's still a day of racing, right? And once you've tried it yourself you'll know just how much to weigh the travel time vs. series choice equations for future race plans.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

13 (edited by cheseroo 2013-06-24 08:34 AM)

The big differences I've noticed on the west coast races I've run are the fueling rules (driver can be in the car), fuel stops are 5 minutes minimum, 2 hr stint limit (enforced), the aggressiveness, the general vibe and the utter lack of cars.  I agree with some of the things they do but do not like their approach to contact at all.  To me allowing it is a slippery slope.  When I complained about another team repeatedly running me off the road to keep me from passing, one of their national level officials told me to just punt them out of the way and went on to explain the technique you use when the other car is heavier.  He was so casual about it that I find it difficult to believe that this was a unilateral mindset.  I related the entire conversation to John and he said he'd take care of it but I never heard anything more about it and the guy is still there so who knows if anything happened from that.  They say they are going to penalize contact more this year but I'm kind of waiting to see on that one.  I'll continue to run their races from time to time as they do run tracks very close to home or signature tracks like Laguna Seca.  I just can't get excited about their races.  I've got teammate wives and kids to think about and it weighs very heavily on my mind.  I'm thinking about skipping the Fontana race later this year and it's a 30 minute drive for me (nearest Lemons track is 3+ hrs).  The low car counts out here make it not as fun as Lemons.  I've radioed in before asking if anyone was still on track as I would go laps without seeing a soul.  I think 11 cars finished recently at their Buttonwillow race.  They do well in other regions so I guess YMMV.  I think that Joey runs the show in the midwest and it sounds like he runs a tighter ship.  Send him an email and let him know your fears/concerns.

Having said all that, you will see other cars/teams that you know.  I would encourage people to try it and decide for yourselves.

Oh, and every driver meeting or awards ceremony I've been to, they trash talk Lemons at some point.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I've run one Chump, with another team, in a decent Class B car, at Road Atlanta.  Their valuation system is hopelessly overcomplicated in writing and frighteningly arbitrary in practice.  Driving was more aggro, but not terrible- though I've heard that varies widely race to race.  I liked that I didn't get black flagged if I dipped a wheel off, as long as I didn't spin or crash, but IME lately Lemons hasn't been as strict about that, either.   Most of the people were fine, but not nearly as much fun as at Lemons and WAY more 50+' car haulers and toter homes that cost more than my non-movable house. 

One guy at the Chump race told me that Chump is for racers who think they are idots, and Lemons was for idiots who think they are racers.  Again, IME, Chump driver's aren't any better, they're just more serious.  But if you're just after a racing experience, and are at least a decent driver- especially good at avoiding trouble- it's worth a go.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Thanks for the information and advice, I think we will give it a go if I can get enough drivers to commit.

I have no illusions of a podium but want to be able to have some similar paced cars to run with to keep it interesting.
Aiming for the Gateway race in September, it's not the most inspiring track being a roval but it is kinda fun running the banking.

Will let everyone know how it goes if we get there, I'm looking forward to a race where I don't have to tow 5+ hours and not haul every little thing to the track.

16 (edited by psychoboy 2013-06-24 09:16 AM)

although Chump races at my nearest track and Lemons won't race there at all, I'm still on this side of the fence.

I might A&D a Chump race with a Lemons team, but I'm not sure I would ever build a car for Chump.

I hate chasing rulebooks, and I hate arbitrary penalty enforcement.

LeMons-style subjective but consistent penalty enforcement, i'm totally OK with. (it's a fine line, i know, but one i'm comfortable with)

I know it's been almost three years, and I'm sure the world is totally different now,  and this is probably totally biased, but since it involved a Miata at Hallett....it is relevant to my interests:

http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ulti … 004891;p=0

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

To me, the low car counts are what would be boring. Heck, I thought Autobahn had way too few cars on it to really have fun.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Spinnetti wrote:

To me, the low car counts are what would be boring. Heck, I thought Autobahn had way too few cars on it to really have fun.

+1

Last stint Sunday seemed like a ghost town.  I was just playing with myself and my mom always told me that was bad.

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

We have run 2 chump races, and 8 Lemons.  The first event we ran, in 2010 at Putnam was a great event, except for the low car count.  At the time I thought that the loosening of the rules regarding incidental contact was refreshing, I thought that the event was run well, and overall, we had a great time.  Then we went to Nelson's with them in 2011.  That was a whole other story.  We brought 2 cars.  The grey car got hit 5-6 times, run off the road, and was woefully slow(it's pretty competitive in Lemons.).  The white car got hit 3 or 4 times, and finished 20 something(car has been a top 5-10 car in it's last 4 Lemons).  The level of driving was frankly, terrible.  I saw multiple incidents that were nothing more than massivly bad decisions.  There was little to no intervention until 8 am sunday, at that involved pulling everyone in, a light slap on the wrist with no penalties, and let everyone back out again.  There was no change in driving.  Iirc there were 5+ rollovers, many cars destroyed, and just a generally terrible race.  I have heard that it has changed some, but I'm still not comfortable in going back.  I have too much sweat, blood and cash rolled up in my car to go somewhere I think that it could easily be destroyed.  Which is too bad, I did enjoy running with them the first time.  It seems that the level of red mist goes much deeper.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

If you have some spare time...plow through their rule book.  They require a fire suppression system, special number fonts and a special board to put them on.   They will give you an Optima battery though.  Their EC class might be a better fit for a LeMon heap.  A west coast LeMon team I know did a Chump race, maybe Laguna, won the EC class and their prize was a $600 fire suppression system.

21 (edited by Brett85p 2013-06-24 10:39 AM)

I have studied the rule book and all we need to do is add a window net and their number board with some random 3 digit number as all the sub 100 numbers are claimed for the region. Purchased but not installed and a second kill switch. The one we have is in reach of the driver but not centrally mounted. No big deal there.
By the AIV rules we would be screwed but I asked for an AIV as I can't find ads for such an old and unpopular car and was given a $100 start. With our cheaty parts the car comes in just under $500 so hopefully no laps not that it matters but it would suck to have laps assigned and be running against faster cars that know how to work the system better.

I will miss the traffic. I also was wondering what was up at the end of the day Sunday at Joliet, there must have been only 40-50 cars on track. I passed the same 5 or so class C cars and I guess we were lapping similar times to many others that were on different parts of the track. I was getting lonely smile

At least at gateway you can see most of the track from most parts of the track and its short enough to be catching cars or being caught often enough.

tSoG wrote:

reason not to race chump: you most likely will never find my bacon at a chump event.

You should totally enter the Simca.

The best analogy I've heard is,

Chumpcar is a race where a party might break out.  Lemons is a party where a race might break out.

We could go race Chump, but I'm far too entertained by all of you freaks. wink

BTW, Brett...I can't believe I made it out Joliet without making some comment about the Party Sheep car being nervous about getting rear ended by the Kiwis.

yukadas wrote:

The best analogy I've heard is,

Chumpcar is a race where a party might break out.  Lemons is a party where a race might break out.

We could go race Chump, but I'm far too entertained by all of you freaks. wink

BTW, Brett...I can't believe I made it out Joliet without making some comment about the Party Sheep car being nervous about getting rear ended by the Kiwis.

As sheep go it was not that attractive. When you come from a country where sheep outnumber people 10 to 1 you have the luxury of being picky smile

I toyed with the idea of a&d king for a chump team at BIR, but all the teams I talked to were asking twice what the average lemon team charges for a race. You add in fewer cars, more serious and aggressive drivers, and what sound's like a generally less fun crowd, it just wasn't worth it IMO.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.