Re: The other series. Talk me in or out of trying it out.

Brett85p wrote:
tSoG wrote:

reason not to race chump: you most likely will never find my bacon at a chump event.

You should totally enter the Simca.

When le mopar finishes top 5 at a Lemons event with a 12 gallon fuel cell, I'll go mess with the Chumps. 2 hour stints, and 5 minute stops would be a huge penalty to a car that doesn't need to stop for fuel more than once, if at all.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Maverick74 wrote:

I toyed with the idea of a&d king for a chump team at BIR, but all the teams I talked to were asking twice what the average lemon team charges for a race. You add in fewer cars, more serious and aggressive drivers, and what sound's like a generally less fun crowd, it just wasn't worth it IMO.

Feel free to come up and hang out with us. No open driver spots, but we will be camping out and having fun at the track all weekend. Bring anti-mosquito weapons.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

tSoG wrote:
Brett85p wrote:
tSoG wrote:

reason not to race chump: you most likely will never find my bacon at a chump event.

When le mopar finishes top 5 at a Lemons event with a 12 gallon fuel cell, I'll go mess with the Chumps. 2 hour stints, and 5 minute stops would be a huge penalty to a car that doesn't need to stop for fuel more than once, if at all.

One minor point...the 5 min. fuel stops are only if you fuel.  Driver changes can be done as quickly as possible.

Hmmm...you run the Simca, we'll run the Marina?  :-)

Jamie Palmer  tr6driver@yahoo.com
Austin Powerless Racing  '75 Austin Marina, 44th/IOE Summit Point '13, 35th/1st Class C CMP Fall '13, 23rd/3rd Class C CMP Spring '14, 83rd/14th Class C CMP Fall '14 (blown engine/swapped mid-race to finish), 3rd Class C CMP Spring '15, 2nd Class C CMP Fall '15
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Austin-Po … 3187341573

29 (edited by tSoG 2013-06-24 05:54 PM)

tr6driver wrote:
tSoG wrote:
Brett85p wrote:

One minor point...the 5 min. fuel stops are only if you fuel.  Driver changes can be done as quickly as possible.

24H at VIR... simca vs marina...

I still don't like the mandatory pit every 2 hours. not that we often make it more than 2 hours before needing to pee, or fix something important, but it's the principle of the matter!

edit: I just realized that the rules for Chump means that I need to spend the next month getting to pass tech. oh and all the crap I have to buy on top of it.

We'd probably hold the record for most penalty laps at a chump race anyways.

aftermarket shocks, coilovers, fuel cell, etc etc. would be comical to declare our "cheats" going through tech.

tSoG wrote:
Brett85p wrote:
tSoG wrote:

Lots and lots of misconceptions but this is hardly the place to go through  the merits of "them" so I will not, if so inclined please visit there forum and ask around.

There is no rule that makes you stay in the pits for any amount of time for a mandatory driver change if the gas cap is never removed, change a driver and be out in a minute if you can, you will have advanced 1 to 3 laps on a team that is forced to fuel more often, think of it as strategy, especially if you can do it often.

Nelson IS the reason for the odd number plate/font and light rule, it worked wonders for catching night time offenders.

Tell me to shut up if Im too pro them but its hard to read inaccurate stuff *apologies*

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

cheseroo wrote:

They say they are going to penalize contact more this year but I'm kind of waiting to see on that one.

For the races where there are blow-by-blow online updates, it sure looks like they're tougher on contact, I know I've seen multiple instances where there's a "Contact between xx and yy, both cars black flagged to come in and talk about it.".  The express view on it has definitely changed, I remember when we were told, "Rubbing is racing," this year the story in the drivers' meeting was that contact was not acceptable and racing room should be maintained at all times.

Just as Lemons appears to have evolved more towards Chump's attitude on spins and offs, Chump appears to be evolving more towards Lemons's attitude on contact.

mhrir wrote:

And by the way, can't these two series coordinate their races better? Who thought it was a good idea to have the Joliet Autobahn race the same weekend as Chump's Michigan Gingerman race? Because of that there were only like 80 cars at Autobahn.

Track availability certainly plays a significant role in overlap.  It's also possible that either series may intentionally try to schedule popular events head-to-head with the other, although both publicly disclaim doing so.

tSoG wrote:

edit: I just realized that the rules for Chump means that I need to spend the next month getting to pass tech. oh and all the crap I have to buy on top of it.

aftermarket shocks, coilovers, fuel cell, etc etc. would be comical to declare our "cheats" going through tech.

Fuel cell is only an issue if it's too oversized (and even then, displacement devices are allowed to get capacity with the rules).

The rest is only an issue if you lack value headroom.  If you're working with something rare, ask for a value, and I'd bet you'll be given something that's reasonably generous (e.g. I know of another unusual vehicle that was given a -$100 value).

#(1)75 (was #74) Dirt Cheap Racing (driver/wrench/cool suit cooler fabricator/accountant/substitute captain) - '88 Mustang turbo-4, in garish stickers over spray chrome!
2011 - Garrapatas (11th / 3rd in B), Heaps in the Heart of Texas (19th / 3rd in B)
2012 and 2013 - Lemons didn't fit into our schedule
2014 - Heaps in the Heart of Texas

tSoG wrote:
tr6driver wrote:
tSoG wrote:

24H at VIR... simca vs marina...

I still don't like the mandatory pit every 2 hours. not that we often make it more than 2 hours before needing to pee, or fix something important, but it's the principle of the matter!

First off, I guarantee you no penalty laps...there's no way.  If you're serious, email me at tr6driver at yahoo dot com and we'll chat.  I've run over 10 of their races. 

Fuel cell rule is no more than 2 gal. over stock.  However, they let you put in displacement balls if you have a larger cell.  In the Simca's case, I doubt they'd even make you do that.

Jamie

Jamie Palmer  tr6driver@yahoo.com
Austin Powerless Racing  '75 Austin Marina, 44th/IOE Summit Point '13, 35th/1st Class C CMP Fall '13, 23rd/3rd Class C CMP Spring '14, 83rd/14th Class C CMP Fall '14 (blown engine/swapped mid-race to finish), 3rd Class C CMP Spring '15, 2nd Class C CMP Fall '15
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Austin-Po … 3187341573

Team Infinniti wrote:

Lots and lots of misconceptions but this is hardly the place to go through  the merits of "them" so I will not, if so inclined please visit there forum and ask around.

I don't think we should be propagating false information about ChumpCar, so please feel free to correct any errors you see posted here.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

Team Infinniti wrote:

There is no rule that makes you stay in the pits for any amount of time for a mandatory driver change if the gas cap is never removed, change a driver and be out in a minute if you can, you will have advanced 1 to 3 laps on a team that is forced to fuel more often, think of it as strategy, especially if you can do it often.

Nelson IS the reason for the odd number plate/font and light rule, it worked wonders for catching night time offenders.

Tell me to shut up if Im too pro them but its hard to read inaccurate stuff *apologies*

I apologize for stating my opinion poorly. I realize the difference between fuel stops and driver changes. The problem is, we still have to stop after 2 hours, even though you could drive the whole race (assuming no mechanicals) without noticeable fatigue. take away our "don't need to stop" strategy, and there is limited benefit to dragging around an extra 80-100 pounds of flammable liquid in an already underpowered car. Definitely won't tell you to shut up, will apologize for being unclear with my complaints.

Mr. Wednesday wrote:

Fuel cell is only an issue if it's too oversized (and even then, displacement devices are allowed to get capacity with the rules).

The rest is only an issue if you lack value headroom.  If you're working with something rare, ask for a value, and I'd bet you'll be given something that's reasonably generous (e.g. I know of another unusual vehicle that was given a -$100 value).

I spend more on bacon than my racecar every race. residual value in Lemons is: we don't care, just bring it back.

I could list a dozen reasons why chump isn't for me, or why my car wouldn't be competitive. Lets make it simple and just talk money. racing ain't cheap, and I've got a hard enough sell to my team and arrive and drives with a horrible, but massively entertaining car that stands no chance of being competitive as it sits. I'm not a big fan of eating the cost of empty seats on the team, and chump would be a really, really hard sell. I'm here for the party, and racing a car that has no business being a racecar, even though it really seems to enjoy the job.

As for race overlaps, Lemons HQ generally has only a very vague idea, if any, of when/where CC races will be happening. Jay doesn't really think about CC that much, from what I can tell.

Chumpcars have unlimited budgets, and they raised the entry fees and other costs this season, so running a competitive CC weekend should cost more than 24HL.  The upside (downside?) to unlimited budget is more speed & reliability.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

FJ40Jim wrote:

Chumpcars have unlimited budgets, and they raised the entry fees and other costs this season, so running a competitive CC weekend should cost more than 24HL.  The upside (downside?) to unlimited budget is more speed & reliability.

Unlimited? Perhaps in the respect of new STOCK parts, yes they are more serious about speed, watering/oiling   the track is controlled a little better, reliability is encouraged as is safety so suspension,shocks, piston rings, gaskets, radiator, hoses etc. fly through tech inspection without a blink but cheaty bits are still cheaty bits, sure anythings allowed but deceleration in the log book is required, if those cheaty bits exceed $500 when added to the price of the car penalty laps start adding up.

From the other sides perspective the IOE hunt has a truly unlimited budget.

Being competitive costs more in either series, be it a new set of shocks and a radiator a month before a chump event  or 3 junkyard engines and a 5 gallon drum of epoxy on raceday while earning  heroic or screwed, its all about your flavor of fun, we are all car geeks wink

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Well said!

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

Team Infinniti wrote:

Unlimited? Perhaps in the respect of new STOCK parts, yes they are more serious about speed, watering/oiling   the track is controlled a little better, reliability is encouraged as is safety so suspension,shocks, piston rings, gaskets, radiator, hoses etc. fly through tech inspection without a blink but cheaty bits are still cheaty bits, sure anythings allowed but deceleration in the log book is required, if those cheaty bits exceed $500 when added to the price of the car penalty laps start adding up.

From the other sides perspective the IOE hunt has a truly unlimited budget.

This is probably why Chump doesn't interest me.  The $500 limit to me has always been part of the challenge.  Balancing performance to reliablity, and that has always set a bit of a balance in Lemons between cars that shouldn't ever be able to be balanaced on a race track.  Between the car valuing system and that you can replace any part with new stock parts you lose that.  You might as well just look at the list of approved cars and buy the most expensive well maintained stock version of the fastest car on the list and pay a shop to replace every worn part and tune the car and show up with an essentially new old sports car to race.  Early on when I was looking into getting into Lemons I remember reading some article about why they made the series.  In it Jay said that they were tired of being beaten by guys who only ever use the Checkbook wrench.  Chump seems far to easy for people to do that.  (I'm not saying everyone does but the rules make it rather tempting)

Coming from someone who won IOE with a car horribly stock and always way under budget, I would say the majority of the teams who win IOE play within the rules.  Even cars that wouldn't be looked at from a budgetary fashion I wouldn't be surprised to find the majority try to stay within the rules also, because its part of the challenge.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Judge Phil wrote:

As for race overlaps, Lemons HQ generally has only a very vague idea, if any, of when/where CC races will be happening. Jay doesn't really think about CC that much, from what I can tell.

That's fine but it concerns me that the low turnout at Autobahn and probable low turnout for Road America in November will lead to even fewer mid-west events in the future. I want this series to grow not shrink.

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

80 isnt that low, and we do have the advantage that we feed them well.

Last year at road america (50 cars for over 4 miles of track, that made Autobahn seem overly crowded) the topic of what courses they like came up, and for them it is basically good food, nice bathrooms and a decent place for them to work out of and hang out.  So Autobahn ranks high for them, and Food wise RA is awesome.  Even though only one consession stand was open, it was soooo good.

Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

Early on when I was looking into getting into Lemons I remember reading some article about why they made the series.  In it Jay said that they were tired of being beaten by guys who only ever use the Checkbook wrench.  Chump seems far to easy for people to do that.  (I'm not saying everyone does but the rules make it rather tempting).

Oh, they do it.  Complete engine rebuilds and every suspension wear item gets replaced on the front running cars.  There is a reason why those races do not get a lot of yellow flags for broken down cars.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

50 cars is thin for a Lemons race, but there are a lot of Chump races with fewer than 20 cars.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

44 (edited by m610 2013-06-25 11:21 AM)

This thing (a Chump car) was a lot faster than us at Bonneville. I knew then and there that there would be no point in taking our car to a Chump Car race, not that winning was a remote possibility, but rather I don't need two days of point-by practice.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/s720x720/400814_527053413975487_1225051955_n.jpg

I took our old Honda Hatchback to Laguna Seca for a November 2011 race. A great chance to race at LS and with three drivers for one day, and $1000 it was a good deal for us. We had tires and didn't have to spend anything on the car. Our guy screwed up the AVI calc, and with the header (+$50), and rear coil-overs and sway bar, we were over the $500, so we had a couple penalty laps to start with. But in our case, we didn't care, we were there to race the track.

The 2 hour drive stint rule kind of screwed us up a bit and we actually had one guy go over the 2 hours (7.5/3 = 2.5), cause we for got about it until we were reminded. The second guy hit a berm, damaged the car slightly and got BFed for the noise. The left front strut top shear through its mount and was banging the hood and the strut tower every turn and the workers would hear it. Pitted didn't see it, they let us back out.  #1 driver drove short and then at the end with the busted strut banging away to get ~2.5.

LG limits the track to 30 or 35 cars, and it was great not having the normal 100-175 cars of Sears Point/ Thunderhill/Buttonwillow out there as excessive traffic. We ran clean laps, pushing hard and had to deal with some faster cars every lap, but not every corner. We were one of the slowest cars (125 hp 1800# honda), but we finished 16th/35. we beat an EC BMW 3 series that had some fast but bad drivers, who kept spinning off track.  As far as I know there was not one car to car contact the whole day, and all of the drivers I thought were very respectful of each other, while still running fast. I thought the corner diving wasn't there, passing excellent, and A**hole factor non existent.

Chump is definitely more about racing, and racing fast. The rules are definitely a bit different and you can get slammed by the AVI and add ons with the parts swap spreadsheet, especially if you've raced Lemons a few times and upgraded due to low residuals. Chump allows rebuild parts, but no real upgrading. You need to build it right the first time. That said in my one day experience, I saw what I would consider more cheaty cars running with fudged AVIs to allow more upgrades. But that is my opinion.

Go do it, and find out for your self.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

There's a lot of overlap between the series, but I don't think the Midwest's weekend overlap has really taken a whole lot from Lemons. The car count at Chump Gingerman was somewhere in the ballpark of 30 cars, almost all of whom were Chump regulars. At most, I'd say Lemons lost about 5-10 cars to that race. The toughest thing about the region's Lemons schedule is having two races within seven weeks and then nothing for four months. I don't expect Lemons Road America to lose more than a handful of teams to the Chump race there two weeks prior.

Lemons HQ aren't going to schedule races that

(A) are going to be marginal in profits (this is a business, after all, but I won't pretend to have any idea what the costs of business are and where the tipping point might be).

(B) are going to tax the organization (in non-monetary ways) unnecessarily. Don't underestimate how tough it is to travel all over the country 20 weekends a year to put on races in places that are frequently B.F.E.

ChumpCar seems more willing to put on events that are closer on profit margins, likely in part because they have a de-centralized organization where regional directors can run races. There are certainly pluses and minuses to both approaches, but that's where I see them coming from. I haven't seen Chump run a weekend with fewer than 25 paid entrants this year, so I think they've wrangled that in a bit.

As far as the racing goes, if you want to go and get some wheel time, Chump is as good as most anywhere. You'll find someone to race in either series and Gateway shouldn't be too crazy full. I think there were 30 or so cars last year, which is probably low enough that car-to-car contact should be pretty minimal.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

RobL wrote:
BoB wrote:

Early on when I was looking into getting into Lemons I remember reading some article about why they made the series.  In it Jay said that they were tired of being beaten by guys who only ever use the Checkbook wrench.  Chump seems far to easy for people to do that.  (I'm not saying everyone does but the rules make it rather tempting).

Oh, they do it.  Complete engine rebuilds and every suspension wear item gets replaced on the front running cars.  There is a reason why those races do not get a lot of yellow flags for broken down cars.

I'm not even saying its wrong or a bad thing, but to me a big part of the fun is the challenge of getting these heaps to finish the race while not being able to replace every part before the race.  Now if that means my crap engineered lowest bidder built piece of crap beats new highend sports cars I consider it a bonus.

Facebook Page

mackwagon wrote:

I took our old Honda Hatchback to Laguna Seca for a November 2011 race. A great chance to race at LS and with three drivers for one day, and $1000 it was a good deal for us. We had tires and didn't have to spend anything on the car. Our guy screwed up the AVI calc, and with the header (+$50), and rear coil-overs and sway bar, we were over the $500, so we had a couple penalty laps to start with. But in our case, we didn't care, we were there to race the track.

The 2 hour drive stint rule kind of screwed us up a bit and we actually had one guy go over the 2 hours (7.5/3 = 2.5), cause we for got about it until we were reminded. The second guy hit a berm, damaged the car slightly and got BFed for the noise. The left front strut top shear through its mount and was banging the hood and the strut tower every turn and the workers would hear it. Pitted didn't see it, they let us back out.  #1 driver drove short and then at the end with the busted strut banging away to get ~2.5.

LG limits the track to 30 or 35 cars, and it was great not having the normal 100-175 cars of Sears Point/ Thunderhill/Buttonwillow out there as excessive traffic. We ran clean laps, pushing hard and had to deal with some faster cars every lap, but not every corner. We were one of the slowest cars (125 hp 1800# honda), but we finished 16th/35. we beat an EC BMW 3 series that had some fast but bad drivers, who kept spinning off track.  As far as I know there was not one car to car contact the whole day, and all of the drivers I thought were very respectful of each other, while still running fast. I thought the corner diving wasn't there, passing excellent, and A**hole factor non existent.

Chump is definitely more about racing, and racing fast. The rules are definitely a bit different and you can get slammed by the AVI and add ons with the parts swap spreadsheet, especially if you've raced Lemons a few times and upgraded due to low residuals. Chump allows rebuild parts, but no real upgrading. You need to build it right the first time. That said in my one day experience, I saw what I would consider more cheaty cars running with fudged AVIs to allow more upgrades. But that is my opinion.

Go do it, and find out for your self.

This guy has good facts, we routinely finish better then very expensive EC cars, so basically anyone has a chance.
The new news is next years rules ditch the AIV system for a fixed value compiled from the last few years log books so if there is fudging it will be reduced by means of averaging. I am sure there will still be a means to value a really oddball lemon but how that works will come later.

dculberson wrote:

50 cars is thin for a Lemons race, but there are a lot of Chump races with fewer than 20 cars.

ChumpCar may be a hair more willing to give a super-low count race a chance than Lemons, but not by much.  A 20 car field won't fly very long in either series.  The real difference is that ChumpCar has a much longer leash with 30 and 40 car fields, and won't really pack cars onto a track the way Lemons does at Sonoma.

#(1)75 (was #74) Dirt Cheap Racing (driver/wrench/cool suit cooler fabricator/accountant/substitute captain) - '88 Mustang turbo-4, in garish stickers over spray chrome!
2011 - Garrapatas (11th / 3rd in B), Heaps in the Heart of Texas (19th / 3rd in B)
2012 and 2013 - Lemons didn't fit into our schedule
2014 - Heaps in the Heart of Texas

Chumpcar teams pull in with big fancy RVs and shiny fancy trailers.  We felt out classed with our 88 F250 and car on a flatbed.

If you have a fast Class A car and a tidy team, you'll be in the 20%.  If you're a Class C car, you'll be DFL.

But, go try it, see if you like it.

Putting the "dirty" in Dirty Little Freaks Racing
~stalk us on facebook