Topic: electricians....or those who play them on TV...i have a code question

I want to put a circuit breaker panel board between a pair of doors that are only 18 inches apart, can I?

imagine you are looking at a 10 wide big blank wall.

imagine a door that opens away appears in the middle of it.

now imagine that a normal household circuit break panelboard appears next to that door.

now imagine that another away opening door appears right next to the panelboard.

i have the required 30" wide / 36" deep working room, but the panel board itself only lives in a standard ~16" chase. it does not live in a 30" wide bare blank section of wall.

would this pass code?

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Re: electricians....or those who play them on TV...i have a code question

I am not an electrician but my buddy is. His opinion is that it would pass code to mount the breaker box between two doors as you describe with the caveat he does not know all the code requirements for your area.

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

Wait, there's building codes in Ok?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

4 (edited by Mulry 2013-07-02 01:23 PM)

I'm not an electrician, I don't play one on TV, but I do work with electricians, codes, and the interpretation of the latter by the former. That said, the best resource would probably be an anonymous phone call to the electrical inspector in the building inspection department for your locale, as they are the ones who really matter when it comes to getting something green-tagged. So there's your cheap advice and disclaimer.

I hate to rain on your parade, but looking at NEC Section 110.26 (http://freenec.com/T13.html) for the requirements, I think you run into trouble at  110.26(F)(1)(a):

Dedicated Electrical Space. The space equal to the width and depth of the equipment and extending from the floor to a height of 1.8 m (6 ft) above the equipment or to the structural ceiling, whichever is lower, shall be dedicated to the electrical installation. No piping, ducts, leak protection apparatus, or other equipment foreign to the electrical installation shall be located in this zone.

It would seem to me that the door, door jamb, hinges, etc. could be considered "equipment foreign to the electrical installation" (particularly if the inspector wants to be a hardass), since those would be within the required width of the working space. That said, I'm taking a pretty conservative view of this whole thing because I'd hate to see you do a bunch of work and then get it bounced because it's a close call.

Additionally, in that installation location, it might be difficult for you to run the wires into the sides of the electrical panel cabinet and make the wire turn radius at the prescribed minimum, depending on the width of the electrical panel cabinet. At the very least, putting the panel in that location will wind up being a huge PITA for installation.

Sorry buddy. sad

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

5 (edited by psychoboy 2013-07-02 01:30 PM)

baron; amazingly enough, yes.
all exterior cardboard walls have to be at least twice that of the average uhaul box. laminated cardboard is OK, so long as elmer's wood glue is used for the lamination. the UPC codes from the bottles must be stapled to a tree or wooden fence post nearest the structure.

mhrir, thanks.
most of the actual electricians i've spoken to are trending that way (that a open doorway is functionally no different than an empty chase), but i still have heard enough dissent to concern me. i dunno if that dissent is based in just not understanding the code, or is based on the fact that they can charge me $2500 to move the box to the other side of the hall if i don't know any better.

mulry;
thanks as well. I'm currently trying to chase up the phone tree that will get me to a local inspector (four people so far, who have listened to my question, parsed bits of it, then told me they couldn't answer my question). the current 60 yr old panel in the wall is narrower than the normal panels are today, and all of the wiring comes thru the top, nothing thru the sides. one person i spoke with did make the same "wire thru the sides" statement, but do you really have to have space for wires that don't exist? I hadn't thought about the door being considered in the same category as plumbing and HVAC, but i can see where someone might take that route.

Team OK-Speed

6 (edited by OnkelUdo 2013-07-02 01:24 PM)

Baron wrote:

Wait, there's building codes in Ok?

Not in OK...but both OKC and Tulsa got upity when they got running water.  They decided to learn to read, wear shoes and it was all downhill from there.

To the OP, you are likely to get dinged on it in a pre-sale inspection even if it meets the letter of the NEC for whatever year adopted by your municipality.  If either of the doors open such that they will cover the panel, I am almost sure it will violate one of the lesser known "asshole hit me with the door" paragraphs written by the local inspector (with a lump on his head) but never officially inducted into the written code (I jest not, the inspector does not have limit themselves tot he code).

Personally, I would do it anyway if it needs being done.  It is easier to ask forgiveness.....

7 (edited by psychoboy 2013-07-02 01:32 PM)

the doors open away, into their respective rooms, so they do not get into the 30x36 working area. the working area is in a hallway, so i don't have the typical old-house concerns of closets and bathrooms and where the hell ever else they used to hide these things.

the replacement is at the behest of the home inspector that went thru my new-to-me house prior to the sale. the current box is as old as the house, and is somewhat outdated. in looking up the current codes and requirements, i found that (depending on how you define that 30" space) the current construction might not meet code, turning a fairly painless box swap into a much more painful box relocation.

Team OK-Speed

For what it's worth, I hope I'm wrong. In my experience, the building inspectors can take a pretty narrow view of anything other than the then-current "standard" installation, even if it meets with both the letter and the spirit of the code. No building inspector ever lost their job by dropping a red tag on a non-standard installation.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

psychoboy wrote:

the doors open away, into their respective rooms, so they do not get into the 30x36 working area. the working area is in a hallway, so i don't have the typical old-house concerns of closets and bathrooms and where the hell ever else they used to hide these things.

the replacement is at the behest of the home inspector that went thru my new-to-me house prior to the sale. the current box is as old as the house, and is somewhat outdated. in looking up the current codes and requirements, i found that (depending on how you define that 30" space) the current construction might not meet code, turning a fairly painless box swap into a much more painful box relocation.

OK, take this with a grain of salt but the inspector is most likely wrong.  Before I pass judgement, give me some more details:

Brand and model (if available, it will be on a tag under the cover...four screws to remove).
If the model is not available:
Main breaker amperage
number of spaces
number of spaces filled
Still need the brand

Unless it is a Push-o-Matic or similar, your box is likely fine.  You MAY realistically need to add a sub-panel to handle the number of circuits currently in use or expected with the garage upgrades any Lemons garage needs...or to bring your bath or kitchen up to modern standards.

Most Breaker boxes from about 1976 on are still supported with breakers but they may not be carried in your local HD/LOWES/Etc.  Assuming this is one like I mentioned, you need to replace old flaky breakers (Eaton BR breakers are the worst in my experience and they were very common in OK), add a 30-50 amp two pole breaker and run wire to a sub-panel.  This may mean relocating two existing circuits to the sub-panel IF your existing panel does not support "double" breakers or it already exceeds the maximum allowed for that box.

If you choose to add a sub-panel, go with an current industry standard that has been around a long time.  Square D QO and their Homeline equivalents are excellent, available everywhere and have been in production since Edison fuses went out of fashion.  Their breakers support aluminum and they the QO breakers are code to double tap (dont' do it though...just confuses the home inspectors).  QO is the standard for light commercial for a reason.

If the box is flush mounted we have to have a different discussion if you need to relocate existing circuits.

Also, call the building inspector and ask for a courtesy visit.  Your house is not required to meet current code but in some municipalities, the pulling of a permit requires upgrading to current code or requesting a variance when not feasible.  Tulsa was moving this way when I left but have since abandoned it.  Likely the replacement of the main breaker panel/service entrance does not even require a permit if you are not upgrading your service. 

If you do decide to replace the panel, and it is flush mount now, try to see if you can go surface mount.  It makes adding sub-panels and new circuits so much easier.

Yes, I was an electrician once for a few hours and I still play one at home.

10 (edited by psychoboy 2013-07-03 07:12 AM)

the 1950s equipment (i'm guessing it's original to the house)

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3682/9198284303_932caf2e0a_c.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5344/9198286211_70db1d38dc_c.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3676/9198287039_1e33f59f09_c.jpg

the current setup of the wall, and my grand (poorly drawn) plans:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7362/9201205194_981ae2fbc0_c.jpg

the door on the right opens into a 3/4 bath (sink, toilet, shower stall), the door on the left opens out of a closet. the area behind the electrical panel is a linen cabinet for the bath

this collection of rooms/hallway is in the upper right of this poorly photographed floorplan:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7434/9198497637_686f3589e4_c.jpg

a detail shot of that area. the black/dotted lines are the existing walls. the red is a washer/dryer stack and my first plans (blowing the door frame area out entirely and basically making a dead end hallway out of the area, no wallboard frame on the existing hallway):

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7415/9201499320_7127bcb6b1_c.jpg

right this very moment, the wall section between the door openings (not the frames or the moldings, the actual openings) is right at 30", so, by some interpretations, we are code compliant (tho one guy in town started talking about 33" wide for some reason). my plan is to widen the opening going into the closet from a 24" door frame to a 34" drywall opening, and the closet behind it from 30" wide to 40" wide. this will narrow the panelboard's wallspace to only 20". If code demands 30" of actual wallspace, i'm boned, but if code considers doors and other openings in the wall plane to be equivalent to wallspace, then i'm still good.

....and that's where the crux of the question lies.

and...just to complicate it further, i need somewhere to store my detergents and fabric softeners. I would like to access the existing cabinetry that's in the bathroom behind the panelboard thru a new pair of cabinet doors in the hallway, under the panel box. construction-wise, the panelboard and the cabinet access would live in the same 16" chase, all of the electrical runs would run through the top of the panelboard. the light switch would go across the hall, and the receptacle would go away.  the picture doesn't reflect it, but i found that the panel board and the cabinet would be the same basic width, because there is only so much room to cram 14.25" of panel board, and 2.5" of bathroom door molding in 20" of properly framed wall.

if i can't hang a cabinet door in the chase below the panelboard (due to the non-electrical items part of the code), i'll end up having to make the deadend hall and store the stuff next to the stack. while possibly more functional, it doesn't really fit the style of the house.

so....clear as mud?

Team OK-Speed

11 (edited by OnkelUdo 2013-07-03 10:03 AM)

OK, on that particular breaker box, you probably should replace it.  Breakers can still be found here http://www.circuitbreakerservice.com/fe … cific-fpe/ and other sources but this was not an excellent design.  All the breakers available at this time are (I am pretty sure) NOS or rebuilt.

A surface mount box over the top of the old box would be my prefered fix (turns the old box into a giant junction box) but you still have your space limitations if you want to widen your doorways.  So the next questions becomes, what is an acceptable for location for the box?  As all your wirng comes in from the top, can I assume it is all accessible from the attic (I still do not understand where this panel is on your schematic...as you face the washer/dryer is it to the right)?

OK, gonna make some assumptions:

The breaker panel now is on the wall to the right of the washer dryer stack.
The service entrance wiring comes in from a weatherhead through the roof on the exterior wall to the left of the washer dryer stack
All the wiring enters the box from the top because (almost) all of it including the service entrance comes down from the attic which is accessible.
The service entrance wire is in a rigid conduit but pretty much everything else is '50's era NM cable (commonly known as Romex) without a ground except for wiring added since grounded outlets were common and those are "modern" NM cable with a plastic jacket and three wires.
The giant empty room with the "1" and "2" in it shares an attic with the location of the service entrance wires
You have no seperate service entrance box outside (box with a bail type shutoff or a main breaker) after the meter

Let me know how close I am because I am guessing I am going to suggest exactly what at least one electrician suggested.  That is, relocate your box to that big empty room I mentioned.  Add a junction box in the attic for the wires except the service entrance.  Run a new service entrance to the new breaker box.  Run wire from the new breaker box to the juction box added to the attic for each circuit in a piece of conduit.  Am I about right?

There are other options based on how you answer to my assumptions.

Edit:  this is why the home inspector said replace it:

http://inspectapedia.com/fpe/FPE_Panel_ID12.htm#FAQ

These are not NEARLY as bad as the Push-a-Matic panels but they do have their share of issues.

12 (edited by psychoboy 2013-07-03 11:31 AM)

the big giant room is the garage.

the overhead wire comes from the pole in the alley behind the house to the extreme upper right corner of the floor plan; where the scale is listed.

the current location of the panel is between the doors on the right side of the hallway between the numbers 2 and 3.

the attic is accessible from the garage, and allows you to breathe piles of pink fluff while you access nearly every corner of the house's ceiling.

there is a meter and an outdoor box with a handful of larger breakers on the outside of the house, upper right corner of the floorplans.

none of the outlets in the house have ground terminals.

based on my initial assumption that the panelboard had to be mounted in 30" of actual wall, and knowing that there was barely 30" of wall there now, the electrician suggested moving the box across the hall from where it is now (onto the left wall of the hallway between 2 and 3). this is a blank wall that backs up to the kitchen (on the other side of the wall where the 67 is in the kitchen). from there, you are correct in the assumption of putting a jumper box in the attic above the old board location and running everything across the hall ceiling to the new board location.

a new pic...
X marks the panel's current location (right wall of the hallway between the closet and bathroom doors)
the arrow points to where the electrician suggested moving it after i told him that i didn't have 33" (his figure) between the doors at the current location.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3706/9203259018_87199245b2_c.jpg

Team OK-Speed

psychoboy wrote:

the big giant room is the garage.
there is a meter and an outdoor box with a handful of larger breakers on the outside of the house, upper right corner of the floorplans.

OK, this makes it easy.  Make your new panel an exterior panel next to the meter where the current exterior breaker box is.  Your service entrance run is about 2' and there is a known accessible chase that the wire can run to the attic junction box from (or else how did the wire get to or from the existing exterior breaker box). 

Consider making the breaker box a manual transfer switch for a generator while your at it since it is outside.  Power goes out due to an ice storm, you just plug in the genny, start it up and the selected breakers are fed power from the genny.  Should only cost about $300 more and worth every penny.

Again, I am not there so I might be missing something.  This actually might allow you to use the existing breaker box in the utility area as your junction box instead of going to the attic.  That of course depends on if you can run that much additional wire through the wall.  Junction boxes to do have the electrical equipment access requirements of breaker boxes...they just have to be accessible for service or some such nonsense.

just so i can be clear, you are suggesting putting all the breakers for the house outside, and running the individual circuits from there to a junction box using the original main feed conduit (assuming that conduit can hold all those circuits).

i hadn't even thought of that. I've wanted to step up the amperage while i'm in all this, and running the larger wire from the outside in was threatening expensive. making that same basic run with a couple dozen smaller wires seems like a good trade off. on the other hand, the current feed (those three white wires coming in on the left top of the box) is in a smallish conduit, so i'll be unlikely to run the wires for the 13 existing circuits thru it.  junction box in the attic solves the wall problem entirely, but may not solve the main feed conduit in the attic.

guess i need to brave the insulation.

Team OK-Speed

Attic checklist:
-filter mask
-Tyvek jumpsuit
-50 ft of tubing
-cool shirt
-Coolshirt setup from the race car.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

16 (edited by OnkelUdo 2013-07-03 01:59 PM)

psychoboy wrote:

just so i can be clear, you are suggesting putting all the breakers for the house outside, and running the individual circuits from there to a junction box using the original main feed conduit (assuming that conduit can hold all those circuits).

Yes...plus you can possibly utilize the conduit or chase that that fed the outside breakers from the panel in the house since those breakers are at the point of origin now...instead of wire in and wire out, there is just wire out.

So I envision a 20+ space main breaker panel outside where the smaller main lug (most likely) panel is now.  A new main service goes from the existing meter to this exterior panel (6 ' of 2 gauge copper is cheap...2' per conductor...as is the offset rigid conduit chunk and calling the power company to drop the service for a day is FREE).  You now have two open conduits to the existing main breaker panel...the service to the breaker panel and the feeds to the outdoor panel from the main panel.  If you are lucky, this means the old panel can become the junction box.

As far as conduit fill, you will be shocked how much you can run through a (likely) 1.5" conduit that used to be the service.  If you are running 12 gauge (which you should but cannot if the existing is 14 gauge) we are talking 50 strands if there are less than 180 degrees of bends...that is 25 ungrounded circuits.  Since you likely have exactly 180 degrees of bend and might not have a pull elbow in the conduit...I would reduce it to 40 wires with LOTS OF LUBE...it still will be tough.  If you choose to terminate in the attic, you likely will have 90 degrees of bend and I would pull enough for your current and ALLLLLLLLL future needs so enough to fill the box plus an extra 6 strands (two white, two ground, one red, one black).  If you want, do a hybrid where the existing circuits go to the old main panel through the service conduit and new circuits go to an attic junction box via the old conduit to the exterior panel.

1" conduit is almost as good...20-22 strands for under 180 degrees bend.

Since you are busting up drywall anyway, consider replacing whatever the existing conduit is with something big and plastic...I suggest 2".  If you are doing the drywall work yourself, just means a little more mudding and probably the scraps from the drywall you are off cutting.  If you are paying to have it done (if you can find a reliable, skilled mudder DO IT no matter the price) the price difference will be about a case of decent beer.  If the conduit runs exterior to the house until it enters the attic....even better because you only bust up drywall where it goes from the ceiling to the existing panel.

Call me if you want (219-730-1688)  Some of this is easier to explain if I can ask questions while you walk around looking at stuff for me.  I got off work early today and just tapped a new homebrew mini-keg with the wife and roommate are out of town so don't expect too much of me after about 7 PM tonight (or ever to be honest).  I love working on old houses and actually got my journeyman cert so I could legally do my own wiring in OK (not in Indiana, though) so I am  more of an old house remodel guru who can wire than a real electrician.

i'll get up there tomorrow and figure out exactly what i've got and where it goes.

thanks for your input!

Team OK-Speed

Had I known about your situation, could have come to Shawnee with the wife this weekend, come over to help and drank your beer.  Surely my license in OK is long expired but the replacement would not require a permit if the city did not know...

Would have been a good excuse to not work on the Lemons car all weekend and drink my own beer.