1 (edited by psychoboy 2013-07-09 09:08 AM)

Topic: chump's 36

while i have no interest in debating the merits of that long of a race, the winner's write up that has been floating around the facebook world is very enlightening.

i know there are some people that swim in both ponds, and one thing in their story really stuck out for me...i was hoping someone could help me see it with a different set of eyes.

as the race was winding down, the eventual winners successfully played cat and mouse with their teams cars, one that was all corner and no straight, and one that was all straight and no corner. they basically played leapfrog around the track and were soon chastised for blocking, suggesting it wasn't clean racing. while i can get that two cars constantly swapping positions would eat up a lot of track real estate, if the cars had not been team cars and they had been racing for position...would it have functionally been any different? i can think of lots of Lemons that our carver can beat thru the corners only to give it all back in the straights. if it were our Civic TapeR and PD's Fairmont wagon (RIP) swapping positions, it would have looked very much the same to everyone else on the track as this dance did. 

is "blocking" as a result of racing really shameful blocking?

when told they could no longer do that dance, they decided to engage in some teammate bump drafting...whereas the more powerful car would push the corner carver to speeds it had never seen. soon enough, they were told to stop doing that as well, again with the suggestion that it wasn't clean racing. I know Lemons discourages contact, and i'd have to imagine that even friendly, intentional, helpful, at-speed contact would be seen as little different than clueless divebombers that can't hold their line to Lemons HQ. however, since Chump seems to allow more contact in the series (left up to the discretion of the at race steward), i find it odd that this dance was called out.

Chump posits itself as real racing. in some respects, it's how that series differentiates itself from Lemons. team work, intentional and unintentional blocking, and bumpdrafts are a part of every version of wheel to wheel motorsports i can think of (well, bumpdrafting is probably restricted to the cars with bumpers, mostly). Anyone have a compelling reason for why engaging in those well-worn pieces of team racecraft would be deemed unacceptable in this format?

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Re: chump's 36

That seem to be how they govern.  It is also why some people claim there is favoritism, not saying there is but if every thing you do gets you accused of racing dirty from the organizers I can see how some teams will say that.  The first one, unless they using the team mate to try and slow down the other car not sure it is dirty, and probably another team complained. The second well in Lemons they probably would have been black flagged for contact with the corner works not even knowing they were team mates.

I was more curious why it seems so many teams ended up upside down.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

3 (edited by Mr. Wednesday 2013-07-09 07:30 PM)

psychoboy wrote:

as the race was winding down, the eventual winners successfully played cat and mouse with their teams cars, one that was all corner and no straight, and one that was all straight and no corner. they basically played leapfrog around the track and were soon chastised for blocking, suggesting it wasn't clean racing. while i can get that two cars constantly swapping positions would eat up a lot of track real estate, if the cars had not been team cars and they had been racing for position...would it have functionally been any different? i can think of lots of Lemons that our carver can beat thru the corners only to give it all back in the straights. if it were our Civic TapeR and PD's Fairmont wagon (RIP) swapping positions, it would have looked very much the same to everyone else on the track as this dance did. 

is "blocking" as a result of racing really shameful blocking?

Best I can guess, something came in to race control, possibly from the now-trailing Saab team, possibly from the corner workers to the effect that the Saab was getting blocked from re-passing the SOF car---which, if you were following RaceMonitor, did have an edge on fast lap time over SOF.  I'd also guess that where the cars involved were teammates, race control wanted to err on the side of ensuring that team tactics did not inhibit the trailing car.  If SOF II and SOF I had been on different teams and just racing, it certainly might have been handled differently.

when told they could no longer do that dance, they decided to engage in some teammate bump drafting...whereas the more powerful car would push the corner carver to speeds it had never seen. soon enough, they were told to stop doing that as well, again with the suggestion that it wasn't clean racing. I know Lemons discourages contact, and i'd have to imagine that even friendly, intentional, helpful, at-speed contact would be seen as little different than clueless divebombers that can't hold their line to Lemons HQ. however, since Chump seems to allow more contact in the series (left up to the discretion of the at race steward), i find it odd that this dance was called out.

Chump has taken a much harder line on contact over the last six months to a year.  I don't think the organization is as strict as Lemons, but I think it's a lot closer to Lemons than it is to the series's original attitude.  I know that there's basically a standing policy of no bump-drafting---it's come up at a couple of central region races in the last year or so---I think because of concern over safety.  (And it should be noted that what happened with SOF wasn't really bump-drafting in the classic sense of a tactic to make both cars go faster, it was really using a faster car to push a slower car, which I would suggest should have a blanket ban independently of the rules on contact---I might go so far as to suggest that they were very lucky not to be penalized.)

Chump posits itself as real racing. in some respects, it's how that series differentiates itself from Lemons. team work, intentional and unintentional blocking, and bumpdrafts are a part of every version of wheel to wheel motorsports i can think of (well, bumpdrafting is probably restricted to the cars with bumpers, mostly). Anyone have a compelling reason for why engaging in those well-worn pieces of team racecraft would be deemed unacceptable in this format?

To the best of my knowledge, blocking is prohibited by every major road racing organization.  As for bump-drafting, setting aside the "using one car to push another" thing that isn't really bump-drafting, I might take a wild guess that insurance drives the ban.

#(1)75 (was #74) Dirt Cheap Racing (driver/wrench/cool suit cooler fabricator/accountant/substitute captain) - '88 Mustang turbo-4, in garish stickers over spray chrome!
2011 - Garrapatas (11th / 3rd in B), Heaps in the Heart of Texas (19th / 3rd in B)
2012 and 2013 - Lemons didn't fit into our schedule
2014 - Heaps in the Heart of Texas

Disclaimer, I was not at the 36

At risk of getting flamed and contrary to popular belief, Chump is a no contact no blocking (intensional or not) series.

It is understood that letting people really race will unavoidably bring contact, it is monitored more carefully then people realize, the chief chump himself is stern and unforgiving on these matters, say what you want but the rant about bump drafting and blocking is serious, you do not want "the" chat

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

well, I was hoping to utilize bump drafting to get simcas to go 80mph at road america. there goes that friggin plan...

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Attaching a tow strap to a faster car when they aren't looking I think is still legal though.  I mean saftey trucks use it why not you.

Facebook Page

Team Infinniti wrote:

At risk of getting flamed and contrary to popular belief, Chump is a no contact no blocking (intensional or not) series.

It is understood that letting people really race will unavoidably bring contact, it is monitored more carefully then people realize, the chief chump himself is stern and unforgiving on these matters, say what you want but the rant about bump drafting and blocking is serious, you do not want "the" chat

While I'm sure the convo w/ Condren certainly sucks if you make it that far, the idea that CC is a no contact, no blocking series is laughable.  Great racers over there including a ton of LeMonistas, but it's a crash-fest every time I've been to a CC race.  During the "36" I read along w/ the race forum thread real-time, for example, one car - three successive spins in three laps - before it gets called in for a 5 min. penalty?  How about four rollovers and three of them being allowed to return to the race?  Yeah, those are the stewards I want deciding who I share the track with.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

*popcorn gif*

1980 Chevy Malibu Classic

DC Doug wrote:
Team Infinniti wrote:

While I'm sure the convo w/ Condren certainly sucks if you make it that far, the idea that CC is a no contact, no blocking series is laughable.  Great racers over there including a ton of LeMonistas, but it's a crash-fest every time I've been to a CC race.  During the "36" I read along w/ the race forum thread real-time, for example, one car - three successive spins in three laps - before it gets called in for a 5 min. penalty?  How about four rollovers and three of them being allowed to return to the race?  Yeah, those are the stewards I want deciding who I share the track with.

Crash feasts are not allowed nor unique in either series.

Spins, wheels off and contact are watched, logged and if a team is having multiple issues it turns into a blak flag chat where staff evaluates and decides if its time for a new driver, one event I was overdriving (no offs/contact just over my head sloppy) while chasing the leader for position, I was black flagged, asked if the car was ok, asked if I was feeling ok and what seemed to be the issue, I confessed to driving beyond my skill and why and was sent back out 2 laps later after promising to behave and making sure I knew next flag it  was going to be a new driver. 

Not sure if you saw but 2 of those 3 "rollover returns" were only allowed back on track to take the checker, car 3 was a light roll.

Post race John came on the forum to state his position on bump drafting

"I want to address this right now, before all the critics, speculators and arm-chair crew chiefs start to respond.

1) I personally went to BOTH Team Captains about 45 minutes prior to the checker -- SOF and RBB/WRFB -- and spoke to them privately, clearly, forcefully and with a few expletives to make my intentions clear -- that if EITHER team and EITHER team car was used to block, bump-draft or interrupt the natural flow of the race, I would Black Flag BOTH team cars.

2) While the use of the second team car could be applied "strategically" to assist the other car, that strategy could not involve any driving that involved blocking, bump-drafting, contact with any other car or driving that exceeded the standard line. "Strategic Use" means positioning and drafting -- positioning includes placing a car between the other 2 team cars (at speed and without inhibiting forward progress) in order to prevent the other cars from engaging in drafting; or, putting the second car ahead to clear the way of slower cars; and/or, drafting for aero-enhancement. As you all know, I have always stated that "strategy" is CRITICAL to endurance racing, and no other ChumpCar race to-date has been a better example of that fact.

3) I instructed ALL corner workers, ChumpStaff and Race Control to put ALL EYES on the 4 cars of these two teams and to report any irregularity. Race Control also (wisely) instructed all corner workers to "liberally" use the Blue Flag to provide the top 5 cars with as much open-track as possible.

4) In the end, it was a clean, fair and well-deserved finish by all concerned.

John"

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

As for the blocking SOF will say they weren't, the saab guys will say they were, really need someone who was there and not in either team to get a fair description.

Was there any reason given for the numerous roll overs?  Something with the track or weather?  People just being idiots?  Did they insert a hot wheels style loop de loop in the course.

Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

Was there any reason given for the numerous roll overs?  Something with the track or weather?  People just being idiots?  Did they insert a hot wheels style loop de loop in the course.

I'm going with sleep deprivation.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

http://beyondthemarquee.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/homer_jump_the_shark1.gif

My thoughts of a 36 hour race. 

Remember the track is dry for 36 fricking hours - in a row.

This space for rent.

13 (edited by Team Infinniti 2013-07-10 09:17 AM)

The only rollover *I* am aware of being openly discussed was the light roll of a 240sx, if memory serves correct it was driver error, a long sideways off track slide that ended with just enough momentum to finish tipping when the tires dug in, windshield was broken and removed (replaced with what or at all I have no idea) some tires were changed, fluids were topped off and it passed a re-tech to return racing, they had a couple of transmissions go south after that but it was unrelated.

No idea on the other rollovers, one (as mentioned below , not fatigue related) was so far off track it sat where it landed until daytime and a rescue plan,later repaired but damaged too badly to pass re-tech, that was one of the cars only allowed the last lap.

Wasn't one really early in the race too.  I only got bits and pieces from The Rusty Hubs Updates

I"m guessing that was by someone who knew that the first couple hours are the most important on a 36 hour race.

Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

As for the blocking SOF will say they weren't, the saab guys will say they were, really need someone who was there and not in either team to get a fair description.

Both teams involved had a second car on the track. The Saab guys could have just as easily used their second car to the same advantage. That said, I don't have a problem with bump-drafting being considered "contact" and being disallowed.

However, I think the SoF strategy of using the faster car to tow the slower with actual drafting should have been considered fine (and fantastic teamwork, even) and let the corner workers call them in any blocking, which is what Lemons probably would have done.

BoB wrote:

The first few hours of the race saw the most carnage, including a car that actually ended up off the track's property, apparently. If you've seen in-car video of Spokane, it's a pretty intimidating track in the daylight, let alone when your first stint is in the dark: a very long, concrete-walled straight and run-off areas with berms that are in play at aforementioned high speeds. I don't know if it had something to do with starting the race at night or what, but I don't think most of the wrecks were fatigue-related.

I found it curious (understated word, there) that three rolled-over cars were allowed to finish:

(1) The Z-car that ended up off the track and required extensive measures just to recover it. The team flailed on it after getting it back and it failed tech because the floor was too messed up. They were allowed to run the race's last lap.

(2) The 240SX that rolled in what was apparently a fairly innocuous way (It's all relative). The cage was apparently completely intact and they were back on the track in an hour or two with the same driver who'd just rolled it at the wheel. This struck me as odd, but maybe I'm just too used to the "Why Am I On My Roof?" clause in the Lemons rulebook.

(3) The Civic hatch that rolled looked like this was also allowed to finish.

(I don't remember if the E36 that retired early rolled or if it just smashed a barrier well beyond repair and I'm too lazy to sort through the 20 pages of race updates.)

I understand letting a not-really-OK-with-tech car back on the track for a victory lap; that's been done in Lemons (Hoonatic's one-lap Integra). I don't understand how a rollover is not an automatic retirement somewhere in that 800-page rulebook.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

16 (edited by Omnilith 2013-07-10 10:54 AM)

DC Doug wrote:

.... the idea that CC is a no contact, no blocking series is laughable....

Oh come on... We've had exactly zero incidents of contact in five Chumpcar races.... and I can't once recall being blocked.

Lemons is flat-out more fun thanks to the atmosphere, but Chumpcar isn't what many of you think it is.... except for the rulebook. The rulebook is every bit as stupid as we all think it is. It is designed to favor boring car choices.

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

Omnilith wrote:
DC Doug wrote:

Oh come on... We've had exactly zero incidents of contact in five Chumpcar races.... and I can't once recall being blocked.

Lemons is flat-out more fun thanks to the atmosphere, but Chumpcar isn't what many of you think it is.... except for the rulebook. The rulebook is every bit as stupid as we all think it is. It is designed to favor boring car choices.

You arent fast enough then.

I hear that Chump is working on less contact, and I think that is a good thing. I spectated at one of thier events, and I didnt get to see any contact. I know it was happening, and I know why it was happening when it happened, because I asked what the scoop was. There is intentional contact that happens, as well as accidental. The fact that you can make intentional contact seem accidental and get away with it is the issue.  At least at Lemons any and all contact is specifically against the rules.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:

We took second at the Buttonwillow 24 Hour, is that fast enough?

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

Baron wrote:
Omnilith wrote:
DC Doug wrote:

I hear that Chump is working on less contact, and I think that is a good thing. I spectated at one of thier events, and I didnt get to see any contact. I know it was happening, and I know why it was happening when it happened, because I asked what the scoop was. There is intentional contact that happens, as well as accidental. The fact that you can make intentional contact seem accidental and get away with it is the issue.  At least at Lemons any and all contact is specifically against the rules..

Same as chump

Baron wrote:
Omnilith wrote:
DC Doug wrote:

I hear that Chump is working on less contact, and I think that is a good thing. I spectated at one of thier events, and I didnt get to see any contact. I know it was happening, and I know why it was happening when it happened, because I asked what the scoop was. There is intentional contact that happens, as well as accidental. The fact that you can make intentional contact seem accidental and get away with it is the issue.  At least at Lemons any and all contact is specifically against the rules.

Chump has definitely started penalizing contact a bit more; I think the organizers figured out that running higher-speed tracks with what are mostly fast cars means that you have to keep tighter reins than they had in the past.

From what I can tell, the East Coast Chump races are WAY more aggressive than the rest of the country. In a video I saw from VIR last year, one veteran-team-who-shall-go-unnamed posted a video where they'd very intentionally nudged a car that had legitimately passed them off the racing surface (but luckily not into a tire wall) and had captioned it to say something to the effect of "That's what you get for passing our (fast car)."

I'm paraphrasing from an anecdote that could certainly happen in Lemons with the wrong driver, but watching that video made my stomach churn because someone had looked back on it and said, "Yep, that was the right thing to do. To the Internet it goes!" That, combined with a race report I got from Watkins Glen--where a driver left the track in a helicopter--makes me think it's at least somewhat regional and that some racers are a bit more cutthroat in that part of the country.

Condren and Co. are getting a handle on it, though, and the majority of their races--even the seven-hour ones--are pretty clean affairs anymore.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Omnilith wrote:
Baron wrote:

We took second at the Buttonwillow 24 Hour, is that fast enough?

How many cars were there?

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

Can we get a bump drafting exemption for cars that have less than 100hp combined?

tSoG wrote:

Can we get a bump drafting exemption for cars that have less than 100hp combined?

You'll be able to reach dozens of miles per hour that way...before the car behind overheats with no air flowing over the radiator.

So about 2-1/2 minutes.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Simca 1000 drafting 1204. It already has rear end radiator so no risk of overheating from lack of air to the front.

Omnilith wrote:
DC Doug wrote:

Completely agree with Omnilith, Chump was not the banging & blocking fest that many make it out to be.  I have raced two of their events and found the racing to be equal to Lemons.  It seemed that over half the field was Lemons cars.

Lou Glutz Motorsports:  Vodden 2012 DNF, Pointless 2013 DNF, Vodden 2013 DNF, ArseFreeze 2013 P-53, Pointless 2014 P-65, Vodden 2014 P-85, Arse-Freeze 2014 P-31 Class A, Pointless 2015 P-105 (brakes) Class A, Vodden 2015 P-75 (Electrical), ArseFreeze 2015 P-41, Pointless 2016 P-53, ArseFreeze P-29