Topic: BBK question

I if I understand the rules correctly brakes including calipers and rotors are not included in the $500 cap. So in my mind that would allow a team to put a proper BBK either new or used on their crapcan. Yet, I don't really see anyone talking about doing so. I see people transplanting brakes from different or upgraded models but no one talking about putting a 4 or 6 piston Wilwood kit on.

So here is my question.

First, is my general understanding of the rules correct with respect to the entire braking system not being included in the $500? and (probably more importantly) would putting a proper BBK on a car go against the spirit of the race yielding our team either an ass load of BS laps or possibly the curse?

Having never been to a race, I am still trying to figure out how everything works.

Re: BBK question

You will get zero laps for anything you do to your braking system.  Period.

Generally, people use factory parts upgrades because they're a helluva lot cheaper and they're effective.  Why spend $600 when you could spend $60?

While you won't get lap penalties for putting a $2000 brake upgrade on your car... such an upgrade WILL be noticed, and you can bet that the judges will take a closer look at the REST of your car.  Why?  Because if you've got $2k to dump into the brakes of a crapcan to win $1500 in nickels, what else did you spend money on?  Trust me, they will answer that question and ding you for anything that's iffy.

Spend as much on brakes, wheels, tires and safety equipment as you want, but if you show up with "nice" equipment, the $500 part of the car better be more than believable!

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Also since most of these cars have no ABS and are mandated to run street tires, BBK = square tires.  This is based on the fact that tires are generally the deciding factor in braking performance.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I wasn't thinking about buying a 2K brake kit.... The wilwood kits brand new are like 1K and I was hoping to get one used for 400-500. Buy I understand your point about extra un-needed scrutiny. As far as flat spotting the tires, I am not concerned with the ability to stop faster, I would like a BBK to be able to accept and dissipate the total heat load. My experience with 20-25 minute track sessions tells me that the brakes can build up a lot of heat, I can only imagine that will get worse when you are racing continuously.

It depends on where you are racing.  We've been on many tracks now with our car and it has yet to have any brake problems with roadrace compound brake pads and DOT4 fluid.  With street tires being the limiting factor - both on cornering and braking, you are going into corners a lot slower that you might think.  We're not hauling around a boat - but we are quick.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Seems to be very car dependent. Probably also track dependent. Stock brakes were fine for us.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

And brake cooling ducts are open...

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

8 (edited by VKZ24 2009-11-20 10:47 AM)

btwdriver wrote:

I wasn't thinking about buying a 2K brake kit.... The wilwood kits brand new are like 1K and I was hoping to get one used for 400-500. Buy I understand your point about extra un-needed scrutiny. As far as flat spotting the tires, I am not concerned with the ability to stop faster, I would like a BBK to be able to accept and dissipate the total heat load. My experience with 20-25 minute track sessions tells me that the brakes can build up a lot of heat, I can only imagine that will get worse when you are racing continuously.

Stock brakes + race pads + DOT 4 fluid = No problems on most cars out there.  We ran stock calipers with Hawk HP Plus pads and used ATE fluid.  No braking problems.

Captain

Same here.  We used stock non-vented front rotors, stock rear drums, Porterfield race pads at both ends and ATE fluid at the Lamest Day.  We were going to run cooling ducts, but ran out of time and wound up not needing them.  At tracks known for eating brakes, we will be sure to install the brake ducts.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

10 (edited by RobL 2009-11-20 11:01 AM)

As an FYI - The HP+ pads are good for lightweight cars and medium braking - I consider them a really good street/autocross/HPDE pad.  For heavier cars and sustained racing Hawk makes Black and Blue pads even better pads (DTC-xx) that can handle the heat better.

RobL wrote:

As an FYI - The HP+ pads are good for lightweight cars and medium braking - I consider them a really good street/autocross/HPDE pad.  For heavier cars and sustained racing Hawk makes Black and Blue pads even better pads (DTC-xx) that can handle the heat better.

Yes, our car is relatively light (2450 lbs) and the Hawk HP+ pads did great.  We ran Hawk HT-10s on the E30 in the spring race at CMP and yes, they stopped even better...but with street tires they actually stopped too well.  By the end of the race the tires were square for sure and we had to toss 'em.

Captain

Hawks are known for eating rotors though.  That is why I prefer Porterfield pads.  They make R4 for racing, R4-S for street/auto-x/HPDEs, and R4-E for endurance racing.  We ran the R4-E at Nelson Ledges due to the length of the race.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

I run the Porterfield R4 pads on my normal track Mini Cooper in the rear. Their R4-S street pads suck, but the R4 pads are pretty good.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I guess I am used to the amount of heat a descent car can put into the brakes. It was hard for me to guess how these crapcan's will do. I will stick with stockish brakes and just put some big ducts on them.

Brakes are unlimited in Lemons.  If you decide to run Chump, you're going to get a lot of scrutiny with Wilwoods.  They have a 2x OEM cost for brakes to discourage Bremobs and things like that. 

If I can get Wilwoods for my car for $1000, that's about 1/2 the price of a brake system from the dealer anyway.  Which is one of the reasons I think the Chump's 2X rule is worthless.

I ended up spending about $700 replacing the entire brake hydraulic system on the 240Z, then we run race pads that cost about $300 for front and rears.  We have two sets of pads front and rear so we were into them for a bunch of money.

A former team mate said we could have run Wilwoods for what we spent and that their pads would be about $70 per axle.  So if you have to replace an entire system like I did or find a great deal on a used system, you could potentially save some money.

When I talked to various suppliers for Z car brake upgrades, a lot of them offered stuff using stock parts but quit using or carrying a lot of kits because they said it was really more effective to go to a system like Wilwood.

If their race pads are around $70, that is about 1/2 price compared to the Porterfields we run on stock calipers.

I didn't really look into an option using non-stock parts but I did spend a lot more money than I thought I would.

The brakes on the car are more than it needs and flat spotting tires can happen really easily and happens more than I would like.  Then again we did flat spot some tires due to a spin so brakes aren't the only way to flat spot tires.

Inexperienced drivers and aggressive non-ABS brakes are likely to flat spot a lot of tires.

Brake upgrades also depend on the car.  Some cars have better stock systems than others.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

VKZ24 wrote:
RobL wrote:

Yes, our car is relatively light (2450 lbs) and the Hawk HP+ pads did great.  We ran Hawk HT-10s on the E30 in the spring race at CMP and yes, they stopped even better...but with street tires they actually stopped too well.  By the end of the race the tires were square for sure and we had to toss 'em.

that is an unfounded rumor VK, those tires were already square when i got in the car.  and frankly i am hurt by your insinuations.  smile

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

soldmystang wrote:

that is an unfounded rumor VK, those tires were already square when i got in the car.  and frankly i am hurt by your insinuations.  smile

I didn't say "who" made them square.  I only said they were square by the time I got to drive. smile   Although we do have video/audio evidence that you had a hand (err...foot) in making them that way. smile

Captain