Topic: V-12's rule

So as we close the day at Lemons Arse-freeze -Apalooza a loved and hated car. Our future is in the hands of the crowed. Do we all realize how this race is like the colleseaum of the Roman days. Youir future is aty the hands of leaders and pesants.. we arew ready and proud for the out come whaty evere it may be.

Re: V-12's rule

Ambiguous post is ambiguous.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Brimg it on!    How is that?

Pendejo wrote:

Brimg it on!    How is that?

you misspelled "Bring" so the impact is lost. good try though!

Side effect of rum. If you want to be picky

BRING IT ON!  Serj

One hopes you at least have some decent rum.
Speaking of, I'm going to go have myself a lovely glass of Tommy Bahama on the rocks.

1995 Mercedes-Benz S600, with extremely straight body and very nice interior. We gave it zero laps! No, really.

I'll have a Jalopnik post on it tomorrow AM.

You are the man! Ronman!!

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/11/lth09-benz600-500px-07.jpg

We love this car! Timing-and-Scoring guru Dan Radowicz may make the team an offer they can't refuse after the race, because he'd like to drop that engine in a '27 Ford Tudor sedan.

11 (edited by ronman 2009-11-21 12:05 AM)

Never seen one of those for $5000... let alone $500.
Must have been some negotiation.

Must have been a helluva bribe.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

I gotta hear this story. Must have major electrical gremlins.

This is definitely the wrong race to test the theory that Lemons never has and never will make a $500 claim on a car.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

This car definetly needs CLAIMING!

That story is so crazy it has to be true...

Just like the talking Communist Unicorn Zombie that's sitting on my front lawn.

How did the Benz get past the "cockpit descuzzification" rules?  From the pics, it appears that nothing was removed from interior.  Other than fire-proofing, i've never quite understood why everything is supposed to get removed, since it seems that the padding/etc. that was installed at the factory would at least help in the event of contact.  It seems, though, that generally everything gets pulled from the interiors to make this requirement, yet the Benz looks practically factory new inside.  If this question belongs in the Newcomers thread, let me know and I'll repost there.  Newbie here, looking at Gingerman next October.  Thanks!

IOE Fall Gingerman 2018 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

phyveaux wrote:

Other than fire-proofing, i've never quite understood why everything is supposed to get removed, since it seems that the padding/etc. that was installed at the factory would at least help in the event of contact.  It seems, though, that generally everything gets pulled from the interiors to make this requirement, yet the Benz looks practically factory new inside.

It isn't "supposed" to be removed, but most teams choose to do it.  Less interior = lighter car.

The interior is one of the first things to go because it is easy to pull out, and other than driver comfort, doesn't provide any benefit during a race.  At worst, it costs nothing to remove, but in many cases you might be lucky enough to have an interior someone wants to pay money for,

One additional reason to remove the interior is that it burns.  Anything that can be done to reduce the risk of burning the driver is a good thing.  It might only give the driver a few extra moments to get out, but that could mean the difference between rare and well done.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Guys, thanks for helping me understand this a little better.  I do get the reasons that include lighter weight, fire proofing and residual value of selling interior parts.  What I don't get is why the Benz passed safety/tech when the rule says, "strip as much of these out of the cockpit as practical."

Can anyone advise if this is a requirement, recommendation, suggestion, or usually a "must-be-done, but sometimes we'll look the other way if someone brings a car as awesome as the Benz!"? 

Thanks again for all the input!

3.24: Cockpit De-Scuzzification: Anything loose in the cockpit can be a deadly missile in a crash; remove or secure any loose items. Loose wiring can cause fires and interfere with the driver; remove or secure all wiring, hoses, and cables. Carpets, insulation, and plastics will burn quickly and release poisonous fumes; strip as much of these out of the cockpit as practical.

IOE Fall Gingerman 2018 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

21 (edited by bongle 2009-11-22 04:32 PM)

I would just go ahead and do it.  It only took us about 2 nights to completely strip the interior on our civic last year, though we weren't going with the intent of selling any of it.

Whether or not one team got through tech with something questionable, you should plan on getting the most hard-ass tech inspector that makes you do absolutely everything in the car to the letter of the law.  It'll make the actual tech inspection easy, because you'll be very prepared.

Strip it out: it's faster, lighter (easier on tires/brakes), safer, not that hard to do, and can potentially get you some money back.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

yes the benz is the nicest $500 car I have EVER seen....the body IS straight, the paint is nice and the full interior is in great condition....other than the cage and drivers race seat....its a nice S600....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

First car ever claimed by Jay... hope the new owner likes roll cages smile

Jay actually claimed it?

Jay gave them the heroic fix award (fixing the heather hose took foreeeeever) then the I got screwed award when he claimed the benz.  It was great.