Topic: Thoughts on what car

Hi I am a newbie to Lemons

I wanted to get peoples input on these cars as possibilties for a Lemons car. I have been searching for a month now and I have definitely ruled some out.  I have a small team that is not  overly mechanically inclined so we need to find something reliable and easy and manuverable.  I am also looking at cars that there seems to be alot of parts.   We are planning on a seventies theme so we would like to find a 70's vintage  car preferably so if you have any suggestions there that would be good.  Obviously its all base on price and what we can eventually find out there.

Ford Taurus

Ford Pickup truck

Ford Pinto

Ford Thunderbird

Honda Civic

Honda Accord

Chevy Malibu

Chevy Camaro

Volkswagon beetle

Volkswagon jetta

Jaguar

Re: Thoughts on what car

What are your expectations?  Win? Place? Show?  Put laps in?

Oh, and just eliminate any/all chevys.  The engines overheat.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

With limited mechanical abilities, I'd say to go for the newest car you can find.  70's cars are OLD and any part on the car can and will crap out during the race.  If you buy a 90's crap box, you will be more likely to be racing than repairing.  A good choice is a Crown Vic Police Interceptor.  They are run forever.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Expectation run have fun and be safe

A Toyota is most likely to keep chugging around the track with minimal mechanical work. You can get early '90s Camrys cheap that have been treated pretty well. They're not fast, and the suspension is mush, but they'll keep going.

Look through the forums to get an idea of what the judges don't like. There are a few models that get run so often that the judges are sick of seeing them -- spec Miatas and BMW e30's seem to top that list.

In the end, though, you have to decide on what's best for your team. Epic Fail Racing is half IT techs, so the complex (and likely to fail) electrical systems in a late 80's Porsche seemed like a fun challenge. When we're done wrenching on it, we'll attack it with a soldering iron. Should be fun to drive, too -- one of our main drivers refused to let me run a Chevette, Gremlin, or Camry because he wants the option of attacking the turns.

6 (edited by RobL 2009-11-21 04:14 PM)

JWR991 wrote:

Expectation run have fun and be safe

Run "a lap" or "whole race" ?  What do you find fun - working on cars, corners, straights?  How safe - 100% safe (stay home and watch it on youtube) or chance of fire unlikely, likely, a certainty (but can get out of the car fast). 

From personal experience, I can go out and buy a car that will last the entire race - it won't be competitive and will get penalty laps, but I'll be there at the end.  Is that what you are looking to do?

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

For me its a quality of life statement.   I have never been a sideline player. If we  get in it will probably be a one time event hopefully 2 events.  This is a  bucket list item in the real sense.  I have asked friends family and colleagues to help and they are all in.   We will meet as a full group in January.  To finalize drivers crew, car theme design etc.   We know we don't have the experince to compete with the seasoned drivers. If we could finish the race with out to many incidents and we have fun doing it. It would be perfect.

Crown vic  good idea what about wieght? lots of them in public auctions

Camry  food for thought lots on craigslist

Ignore the civilian Crown Vics and only go for the Interceptor AKA P71.  They are heavy, but make good Lemons cars.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

The Crown Vic is heavy but they don't blow up. They are filled with heavy-duty cooling because the duty cycles put on them in service with PD's require it. That's good for Lemons. It probably won't win the race for you, but you stand a better-than-average chance of running the whole race without mechanical failure. Take it from somebody who has now done 3 of these and has blown up 2 engines in the process: I'd give my left nut to get an MR2 to run for 14 or 15 hours without it pulling the mechanical equivalent of coughing up a lung. If I wasn't already so invested in 4AGE parts by now, I'd swap to a P71 Crown Vic in a heartbeat. If this is really a bucket list thing for your guys, then you want all of them to get a good turn in on the track, which means you need a reliable lap-churner. There's basically nothing better for that than the P71.

Camry's suck on so many levels, and even worse for this race. Unless you find a low-mile one, then it might be okay for awhile. But it's still not the warhorse that the P71 is. Good luck.

PS If you're in the Bay Area you should pick up that Volvo that's listed for $1 and find someone to help you swap in a 302 Ford V8. That's a go-er, too.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

P71 Crown Vic.  It won't win but it will get everyone on track and may last a couple of races.

JWR991 wrote:

If we  get in it will probably be a one time event hopefully 2 events.

Don't let the race idea fool you, Lemons is more of an addiction.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

FYI, the biggest difference between a P71 and its "civilian" P73/P74 brothers and sisters is swaybar diameter, spring rate (+~150/30 f/r), final drive (either 3.27 or 3.55 depending on year), torque converter (11.25" vs 12",) aluminum driveshaft, slightly stiffer shocks, and an oil cooler along with some PCM tweaks.
All Panther platform stablemates have the same large transmission cooler '98+, and there's no such thing as "the cop motor" or "the cop transmission" or "the cop brakes" or the ultra-rare super-duper secret squirrel supercharged interceptor. wink

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

The P71 does sounds good  But would it get accepted as it's a pretty common vehicle.  It looks like race organizers are looking for more exotic cars to bring in fans and increase competition.   There also seems to be limited sapce at races.

I would also agree that 24 hours of Lemons seems to be an obsession

What about a Thunderbird or Camaro

Your team sounds very similar to the team that myself and my brothers are putting together.  We are a bunch of responsible family men whe want to have some fun and not be responsible for a weekend.  The car that we are building is a 92 grand prix.  My main focus is on reliability because most likely we arent' going to win.  There will be faster cars and better drivers.  From what I am hearing cooling issues are the main problem.  Any thoughts?

JWR991 wrote:

The P71 does sounds good  But would it get accepted as it's a pretty common vehicle.  It looks like race organizers are looking for more exotic cars to bring in fans and increase competition.   There also seems to be limited sapce at races.

I would also agree that 24 hours of Lemons seems to be an obsession

What about a Thunderbird or Camaro

Stay away from Chevys like the plague. 

On getting in...  It's not all about the car.  It's about being different and making a statement.  If you say you are 4 guys who have a car and would like to race, you go to the bottom of the list.  That describes everyone.  Come up with a good theme, make sure your application is complete (all drivers information is filled out - with 5 or 6 drivers preferred), don't sound like you are going to flake out, and you increase you odds of getting in. 

Bad: "We are four poor construction workers who have always wanted to race.  If accepted, we are going to find a $500 car and start building."

Good:  "The six of us have been long time friends who are always looking for different ways to entertain ourselves.  In the past we have entered demo derbys and lawnmower races.  We have a '73 Fury station wagon that we pulled out of the weeds and are in the process of building into a crapcan racer.  Our team concept is irresposible fathers and plan on not paying our child support in order to raise funds for the entry fee.  We are going to have 5 or 6 full size child maniquens in the car and attach an infant seat to the roof complete with crying doll."

shabah210 wrote:

From what I am hearing cooling issues are the main problem.  Any thoughts?

The main issue is that we are racing crapcans.  Beating on a 20+ year old cars for 12+ hours reveals all kinds of problems. 

On cooling - most crapcars have 20+ years of lime and calcium built up in the cooling system.  Most are not bled properly.  Catchcans aren't big enough so when the engine cools down under yellows - it sucks air in. 

Brakes - there are at least 10 threads on the topic. 

Oiling - old cars burn oil.  It get overlooked during the race and you lose pressure and bad things happen. 

Gaskets - they blow.  Be prepared to replace them. 

But the #1 problem - loose nuts behind the wheel.  There will always be 5+ teams in the penalty area for hours on end.  And that one is completely avoidable.

I'd suggest buying a car that has already been prepped for Lemons or for the banger class at the loacl roundy round track (assuming it has a good cage)

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Thanks for the advice I am sure my theme is solid and in keeping with the race I am not going to reveal  though at this time  I have completed my application except to get all the drivers pictures up  Though we have 4 drivers and am working on last 2  4 guys and 2 women. There still getting permission from there wives and husband.  LOL    I actually expect to show up with a small army of people.  We are there to race but also celebrating  my wifes 50th birthday party   and 4 other birthdays as well. For all the volunteers and spectators that come and root us on. I have already ordered 200lbs of lobster and 100lbs clams which will be cooked on Sunday night.  We are coming to celebrate life and have fun.  Of course one can never have enough volunteers and friends. 

I am sure the more experienced racers will clean our clock for 1500 in nichols.  But we are coming to race just the same.

As for the car not sure I can be convinced on the chevy but I am partial to Fords since that all I own.    Though the more I look at this I am thinking about a 2 car path and see what comes out the best.  Either way I plan to have a car in place by Jan1  in my garage for everyone to work on. I got a line today on a 90's Thinderbird with low milage today that looks pretty good.   

As for cooling I have a taurus which is known for scale build up and has to be flushed every 6 months a real pain.   I have also seen in a blog somewhere that you can put in a second overflow tank so you do not suck air back in. That seems to  make alot of sense since you have no glycol.

The idea on the loose bots is excellent advice I had not given that alot of thought  It on my checklist now. 

I am not sure what to plan for spare parts yet aside from tires and brakes. I guess alot will still depend on the type of car and part availibility at the end of the day.

JWR991 wrote:

I actually expect to show up with a small army of people.  We are there to race but also celebrating  my wifes 50th birthday party   and 4 other birthdays as well. For all the volunteers and spectators that come and root us on. I have already ordered 200lbs of lobster and 100lbs clams which will be cooked on Sunday night.  We are coming to celebrate life and have fun.  Of course one can never have enough volunteers and friends.

200# of lobster?  which race is this?  Thanks, friend!

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

I say buddies for life!

shabah210 wrote:

Your team sounds very similar to the team that myself and my brothers are putting together.  We are a bunch of responsible family men whe want to have some fun and not be responsible for a weekend.  The car that we are building is a 92 grand prix.  My main focus is on reliability because most likely we arent' going to win.  There will be faster cars and better drivers.  From what I am hearing cooling issues are the main problem.  Any thoughts?

Team JB Weld has done very well with their GP. They are in Dallas, I think you can find them on CulbGP.com.

For car reliability, fix/replace anything that is suspect. If you don't, you know when you'll be fixing it? During the race. It's no fun chasing parts while the race is on.

Radiator, water pump, belt tensioner, idler pullies, change'em. If they make a 160 degree thermostat, get one. Go to the  junkyard and get a transmission cooler off of a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Flush it out before installing. smile Bring spares, alternator, PS pump, PS pressure hose, rack and pinion, tierods(inner and outer), radiator hoses, CV axles, etc. Anything can break, so bring everything you can.

Reinforce the front motor mount, it's gonna get a workout.

Gauges for water and tranny temps are good. An oil pressure one is also a good thing. Gauges don't count towards the $500. Got that info straight from Jay.

Tires, get 4 new ones. The Dunlop Star Spec Z1 works very well. So do the Falken Azenas. There are plenty of tire threads on here to read up on.

You do not know how much fun it is to race $500 crap cans. It's hard to find the right words to describe it. Racing is a drug for which there is no cure. The next race is just a fix. You'll be living your regular everyday life with the racing bug popping up to ask, "When is the next race? How do I make the car better? How much money is in the bank account? I need to buy(fill in the blank) for the next race."

Good luck with it !!!

Heres my thoughts on your list

Ford Taurus:  Not bad, but sometimes have engine related issues

Ford Pickup truck:  others race one, with good results and its quick

Ford Pinto:  Super cool, but such a piece of crap

Ford Thunderbird:  This has serious potential, especially 5 speed supercoupes or V8's

Honda Civic:  head gaskets

Honda Accord:  see above

Chevy Malibu:  maybe if you can keep it cool

Chevy Camaro:  potential, but see above

Volkswagon beetle:  beetle or old bug...new beetle is still to much $$$

Volkswagon jetta:  I think 90ish Jetta GLI 5 speed would be fun....and competitive

Jaguar:  Brave, very brave

Don't forget old Porsches.....924-944-928's are inexpensive and are sorta reliable....

A general rule is anything Toyota or Mazda is always a good choice

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

sergio wrote:

How much money is in the bank account?

Not Enough.

icemang17 wrote:

A general rule is anything Toyota or Mazda is always a good choice

Except MR2s

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

If you just want to rack up laps and get everyone a chance to race all weekend, you can't beat the Crown Vic P71. Underpowered, but good brakes and suspension, and the SOHC 4.6 Modular has proven nearly bulletproof at Lemons.

If you want to be heroes, bring a Nash Cosmopolitan or Hillman Imp.

25 (edited by Spank 2009-11-28 01:52 AM)

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=1465

The one which expired but maybe someone can help you find them. Here's all that google shows now:

'96 Ford Crown Vic "Race Car" Lemons
Nov 17, 2009 ... This is our beloved '96 Crown Vic, aka "Vicky," who led our team to a "9th Place Overall" finish at the 24 Hours of Lemons at Thunderhill in ...
losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/1471150865.html

Pause
Pause
Pause

Oooh!

I think it is this car here:

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?pid=6081

So what are ya waiting for?

Edit: Duh, same car just two posts about it for sale. My bad.

Well, there's this one, but it's not a crown vic:
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1467387704.html

And this one, too, if you want to spend too much and put in your own motor:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1484183720.html