Topic: How 'done' is this?

Total newbie here but been interested for a while. I'm getting that it's hard to get into west coast races...  What are the chances of getting in with an early 90's 240SX with (I think?) a pretty good theme/story?  I don't see many of them in the pics I've found?

Import Alloy Racing
The Little Red Poorvette

Re: How 'done' is this?

Better than your chances with an E30, CRX, MR2 or Miata.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Ok- not sure if that's really saying all that much wink

I suppose it doesn't matter since we already have the car...I'm just wondering how tough it might be and also curious how many other 240sx there are/have been.
Thanks!

Import Alloy Racing
The Little Red Poorvette

240SXs are not that common.

Coming from a guy who races a 240Z, I am starting to think the Zs are just screwed but we will keep trying.  If we give up on the Z, I think we will have to try and SHO or MR2.

Hell, if we are successful with the Z, we should try one of those for the challenge.

Maybe a 240SX is a decent idea if it ain't all ragged and riced out.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Does a welded diff and spare fart can in the trunk make it riced out? tongue

Schedule unexpectedly cleared today so we went up to Thunderhill to check out the end of the race.  There was one 240SX there but it was already on the trailer when we got there. Guys said the car was running great but they were repeatedly black flagged for reasons unclear to them.  Gotta be more to that story....

Import Alloy Racing
The Little Red Poorvette

Yeah, I'm sure the big, mean Judges were singling them out, and it totally had nothing to do with their terrible driving... tongue

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Our diff is welded.  It pushes and is fine for more experienced drivers, less experienced drivers is hard to say.

I'd really like a limited slip for an early Z for next to nothing.  They are very hard to find.

they were repeatedly black flagged for reasons unclear to them.

Simply put, if you appear to lack car control, there's a penalty for that.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

GL guys.  we're building a 240 for CMP races. If I have it in the budget it will get a cheap LSD, but as of now its open.  Its easy to find LSD's out of 240sx SE's that drifters have swapped out in favor of welded diffs.

Troy- interesting that you're running a welded diff.  Obviously ours was someone's (wannabe) drift car which is why it has one.  However, it did come with a LSD (in the passenger footwell) but the bolt pattern doesn't match the axles in the car. 

As for the black flags...we didn't see them on the track but they were pro drifters. Probably enough said right there. wink

Import Alloy Racing
The Little Red Poorvette

vizlvr wrote:

Does a welded diff and spare fart can in the trunk make it riced out? tongue

Schedule unexpectedly cleared today so we went up to Thunderhill to check out the end of the race.  There was one 240SX there but it was already on the trailer when we got there. Guys said the car was running great but they were repeatedly black flagged for reasons unclear to them.  Gotta be more to that story....

Did you SEE that car? It had profanity all over it, apparently that's what happens when you bring Drifters to Lemons.
They had to write several "I will not drive like a dick"-style sayings 100 times on the car.
Those were some classic unclear on the concept racerguys ™ 
Black flags for contact, passing under yellow (a lot!) and general asshattery. Of course they have NO IDEA how they could have racked up the penalties like that...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 144 races and counting.
2/25/24

11 (edited by vizlvr 2009-11-23 11:14 AM)

As I said, I was sure there was more to the story (and that it was something like what X-args said).... I looked at the car very briefly and my husband talked to the guys a bit. 

Fortunately our car is an ex-drifter but we're not (nor are we big drifting fans)....thinking of Rehab Racing-Sacrificing...er...Rescuing old drift cars one Sylvia at at time.

Import Alloy Racing
The Little Red Poorvette

Everybody knows Nissans just blow up at the thought of a 24hour race. (sorry Troy)

The Lemons administration finds it entertaining when cars blow up and teams have to attempt repairs w/ duct tape & bubblegum.  You're probably a shoe-in w/ a 240SX.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

FJ40Jim wrote:

Everybody knows Nissans just blow up at the thought of a 24hour race. (sorry Troy)

The Lemons administration finds it entertaining when cars blow up and teams have to attempt repairs w/ duct tape & bubblegum.  You're probably a shoe-in w/ a 240SX.

We'll bring gaff tape.  It's WAY better than duct tape.

Import Alloy Racing
The Little Red Poorvette

14 (edited by lbreevesii 2009-11-30 11:45 AM)

vizlvr wrote:

Troy- interesting that you're running a welded diff.  Obviously ours was someone's (wannabe) drift car which is why it has one.  However, it did come with a LSD (in the passenger footwell) but the bolt pattern doesn't match the axles in the car. 

As for the black flags...we didn't see them on the track but they were pro drifters. Probably enough said right there. wink

probably somebodies junkyard Q45 find.  ^

I'm hoping the same thing vizlvr.  We plan to refresh all we can, but god knows this poor old 2XX K 240 is gonna shit a brick on the track.  I've got it tagged right now so I can see what goes wrong when it faces the mountain roads of doom.

btw- theres a cool thread on nicoclub where a guy is building a 240 for rally-x.  I'm diggin his weight reduction ;-)

welded diff would be a bad option all that beating and pushing in corners will kill axle shafts and be all over track.

My advice come up with a great theme I mean one that is awesome when your sober and follow through.

So many guys show up with stickers for a theme WOW    I believe that a Lemons theme is just as important as it running and handling.  Get the creative people of the team to decorate the car while others fix and maintainence up the car .

MAKE THE THEME  BIG AND FUN ,I did caltrans and had cones and street signs for spoilers and a cooler on the roof  even had my 400lb fat mexican nephew standing around with shovel all weekend  .WON  the choice got a  110 lbs of nickles.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!