Topic: Arse Freeze-- Some footage from day 1

Found these on another forum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT6c3bbOlas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5lwYdxo0Bo

Wish there was more news of what's going on out there!

2 (edited by Tajracing45 2009-11-22 05:40 AM)

Re: Arse Freeze-- Some footage from day 1

What is the other forum?

*EDIT*  Just saw who uploaded the vid.  Thanks for posting!

We are the people your parents warned you about.

The Killer Bee guys must be pissed at that driver's incompetence. He clearly didn't have it, and could have yielded.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

4 (edited by EvergreenDan 2009-11-22 11:17 AM)

Speedycop wrote:

The Killer Bee guys must be pissed at that driver's incompetence. He clearly didn't have it, and could have yielded.

Dunno. I don't know the track, but it looks like he went through that tiny right sweeper at the start of the video way left of any apex, then moved right at the end of the straight to set up for the left. I think he should have checked his mirrors first. I'd say the Killer Bee is at least half at fault, no? (Also, you can see no effort to countersteer.) The passing car should have anticipated the move, so maybe he shares some fault?

But we don't have any rules/guideliens for this except "don't hit each other." /deadhorse

The camera car from the other clip has a right to be pissed. Maybe the ABS took over, but that didn't look like "two feet in."

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

I watched it a few more times. Before the car pulls up to the Killer Bee's rear 1/4, you can see it is  coming over to the right, and there's definately not room to pass without going two wheels off anyway. Logic dictates the Killer Bee will continue drifting over, however, racing adrenaline screams "HOLD THIS LINE! DON'T LET OFF!" That's what this driver did. Car in front generally has the right of way, and even if their rear 1/4 isn't completely clear, you'll be forced to yield when they cut you off or squeeze you out. When you don't yield, this is what happens. The NO CONTACT rule is supposed to encourage all of us to avoid any contact, but one cannot really claim "They moved over and hit me" when the car you hit is in front of you and already moving over as you catch it.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

Well, we have no rules or guidelines to look to. There is nothing in the Lemons rules that says that the car in front has the right of way. Nor is there anything that says that each car is entitled to racing room.

Still, this happened on a straight and the car moved from the left side of the track to the right without checking its mirrors. Murilee described it as a "self-inflicted PIT maneuver" and that his team was unhappy with him, implying that the Killer Bee was at fault. http://jalopnik.com/5408105/killer-bee- … land-scrap

Because the only rule is "no contact", I'd say that the Killer Bee didn't see that he was being passed and made an unforced move to the right without checking his mirrors. He's primarily at fault. The passing car might have foreseen that the Killer Bee was going to do this and backed out. He's partially at fault. If there were a "racing room" rule, I'd say the Killer Bee was 100% at fault.

7 (edited by Speedycop 2009-11-22 07:30 PM)

Meh. I could be wrong. I simply don't assume the other car will miraculously suddenly see me and yield, and therefore I avoid contact by dropping back a couple of feet. In almost 15 years as a cop I've worked countless accidents. Were this to occur on a public roadway, the Bee would have failed to yield. On the track, you have to know you can make the pass safely without contact or going wheels-off. IMO, the Honda should have known he couldn't by the way the Bee was coming over prior to his pulling up beside its rear 1/4. Thta's my .02, if it's even worth that much. Easy for us to armchair quarterback and nitpick the vid in slow motion. These things happen in a fraction of a second on the track, and it happens to the best of us. No offense to the Honda's driver, I just call it as I see it.

If you watch the video again, it looks like the stimulus package camera car (honda?) actually went 1 or 2 wheels off at one point and jumped back on. Or it may have lost braking control because there's a lurch just prior to contact. Camera car was in the blind spot for typical mirrors, but still think the B is more to blame than not.

Just glad nobody was hurt in the roll. The aftermath photo on jalopnik is a wreck.

--Spank

Maybe it's just my SCCA experience talking, but this seems like Racing 101 to me--the overtaking driver has the responsibility to make a clean pass.  Had the Honda been closer to side-by-side with the Bee when the Bee moved over, I would place the blame on the Bee.  As it was, though, I think the Honda should have backed out of it.

That being said, this kind of thing is inevitably going to happen when there are relatively novice drivers out on the track.  That's not a knock on either driver, but more an observation that we have to expect the unexpected in races like this.

Enjoy every sandwich.

The MG might have been blocking, but to me the Honda should have yielded. I would have. I had to quite a few times at MSRH in Oct. Either the car in front was blocking or not looking in the mirrors. I don't want contact and will try to pass at another place.

It's true that it happens so quick that you don't have time to think all the options.

this wasn't the worst PIT manuver video I saw from the race.......& yes both "victim" racers rolled.....both were in the same section too

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Well, if it weren't for bad luck, some people wouldn't have any...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PviZvh-xZMY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2cJR6iGX9E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZLA3bzQ96w

sergio wrote:

The MG might have been blocking, but to me the Honda should have yielded. I would have. I had to quite a few times at MSRH in Oct. Either the car in front was blocking or not looking in the mirrors. I don't want contact and will try to pass at another place.

It's true that it happens so quick that you don't have time to think all the options.

He wasn't blocking, but setting up for the next corner in what looks like an aggressive manner against my team orders. It cost him a team, and me a favorite car.

I don't believe he looked, and I do think the Honda should have kept a safer margin but there are no rules in Lemons and #$%^ happens. Contact here is 100% everyone involved at fault. No hard feelings, just a few broken hearts.

I rode with Matt and Eric of Free Range Racing the next day (class act by both them and Stick Figure racing/Knights of the Round Track for all their help and support) and the very same Honda squeezed in on my quarter panel on the same corner. Being a bit wary of that PARTICULAR car's history I went WAAAY wide and backed off to avoid them, and let them pass.

Sure enough on the very next turn (11) he pit maneuvered another Honda and they both went crashing into the dirt as I yelled profanities in the Bee's Honor (which felt surprisingly good) while avoiding the carnage. It CAN be done. Surviving and cussing is better than waiting upside down. Do you want to win with a race car, or survive with a crap car? Where does your spirit-o-meter point?

Sure, lots of people were driving like asshats, but if my guy had avoided them instead of joining them my tiny wife and I would not have had to spend hours tonight trying to turn the Bee into my driveway 90deg to the right using left pointy wheels, and cover it up before nosy neighbors see it in the daylight.

I am embarrassed of the outcome, and about the faulty chemistry of half my team. I totally failed to lead. We were much better drivers when our car was a much slower pig with much mellower drivers. The only team member swap that was worth a damn was Jesse Cortez.

All I gotta say is the Bee was a great cheap car before the flip. I dun gud.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

I don't have a lot of comments about fault in the Bee's accident.  Good mirrors could have helped though.

The visibility from the center mirror on the 240Z SUCKS, even with a panoramic mirror. 

We have 5 mirrors and have made several changes to the mirrors over 4 races.  I upgraded our door mirrors to mirrors that actually worked for the last races and we have ellipse/wink mirrors on each side too. 

With the large fields we are running, good mirrors are a huge help.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

augh. more debate about who's fault and this and that? Racing Room and "who has the line" is racer 101. do they not teach this stuff at the friday newb class or too many wanna-be stars ditch it?

on the track, pretend NOBODY has mirrors or stoplights or is paying attention. this doesn't mean don't drive aggressive but if you're not in front just before turn-in, expect that the car in front does not see you, and act appropriately. from the sounds of it, the honda guys needed some more quality time with Jonny and Murilee.

The other video, the Volvo's really making a HUGE assumption here. Everyone keeps saying "Two feet in" and feeling the TR7 guys are at fault. you know what? Yes, the TR7's at fault, for Spinning! The Volvo's still at fault for hitting them, especially with throttle on. If he would calm down for a SECOND and keep his foot out of the fast pedal until he was clear, at worst they'd have a big dented fender. Patience is a virtue people! We're in an enduro, NOT a 10 Lap Sprint/Feature race.

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

I rode with Matt and Eric of Free Range Racing the next day (class act by both them and Stick Figure racing/Knights of the Round Track for all their help and support) and the very same Honda squeezed in on my quarter panel on the same corner. Being a bit wary of that PARTICULAR car's history I went WAAAY wide and backed off to avoid them, and let them pass.

Thanks for being our ringer!  Hope you had a great time in the Free Range MR2 smile

P.S.  Your engine is in the wrong place wink

It seems like the Honda team should have been parked for excessive contact or aggressive driving. I'm sure there are other teams that got hit by the Honda too. Maybe they should have gotten the Peoples Curse.

Serj, you're right that I (the V8olvo driver) made a huge assumption the the TR7 driver would brake when spinning and I take full responsibility for the hit.  You're also right that a bit more patience here would have resulted in a lot less damage, if not avoided the hit altogether.  But, if you watch the video with the sound on, I was fully on the brakes before hitting the TR7 after just touching the throttle at the apex hoping to squirt by on the inside.  If you're going to make accusations about other drivers mistakes, at least have the courtesy to get your facts straight.

BTW - HUGE props to the crew, as I was back on the track in less than 20 minutes!  Ironically, the car was faster after the accident!

Cheers,

Dean

Sorry to see the Bee take a lickin'. I've enjoyed following your build and freeway travails from a distance, so I hope that you can make it race-worthy again. Good luck.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Serj wrote:

Racing Room and "who has the line" is racer 101. do they not teach this stuff at the friday newb class or too many wanna-be stars ditch it?

Wasn't there. What class?

sergio wrote:

It seems like the Honda team should have been parked for excessive contact or aggressive driving. I'm sure there are other teams that got hit by the Honda too. Maybe they should have gotten the Peoples Curse.

That team was at Buttonwillow and I think they were eventually yanked from the track. Can't remember what for, though. I think it was them, anyway and I was a bit surprised when I saw the pic of the car at Thunderhill.

24 (edited by Speedycop 2009-11-23 10:18 AM)

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

He wasn't blocking, but setting up for the next corner in what looks like an aggressive manner against my team orders. It cost him a team, and me a favorite car.

I don't believe he looked, and I do think the Honda should have kept a safer margin but there are no rules in Lemons and #$%^ happens. Contact here is 100% everyone involved at fault. No hard feelings, just a few broken hearts.

Pete, don't be too hard on your driver. Nothing in that video looked to aggressive or sudden on his part.

BTW, I'm glad your driver was okay. Sucks about the Bee, big time.  The next Bee will have lots of spare parts, though!

Speedycop wrote:

Pete, don't be too hard on your driver. Nothing in that video looked to aggressive or sudden on his part.

BTW, I'm glad your driver was okay. Sucks about the Bee, big time.  The next Bee will have lots of spare parts, though!

Yeah, I'm glad he was ok too. He's not a bad guy, BUT, it was the tipping point.

There were prior issues and we never gelled as a team. I was deathly afraid he would wreck the car, and the poor guy did. I'm the idiot.

I had the hardest time finding people who wanted to drive an MGB (which is understandable). I panicked and grabbed him out of a bar. Again, I'm an idiot. But I still had the greatest time with you folks.

As far as the Bee goes... it'll buff right out.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.