Re: Arse Freeze-- Some footage from day 1

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

I had the hardest time finding people who wanted to drive an MGB (which is understandable). I panicked and grabbed him out of a bar. Again, I'm an idiot. But I still had the greatest time with you folks.

As far as the Bee goes... it'll buff right out.

It's not an ass-less Citroen but I'd love to drive it the next time it's ready to do battle.  I wish I was at that bar when you were looking for a driver.  I would have jumped at the chance.

Chris "2-time tech inspector and hanger-on"

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

I had the hardest time finding people who wanted to drive an MGB (which is understandable). I panicked and grabbed him out of a bar.

Perhaps try an MG club?  Plenty of knowledge, parts, and occasionally experienced track drivers who are aware of the B's strengths and less-than-strengths.  Also, most members of the vintage-racing crowd prefer to stay comparatively clear of damaging situations.  Of course my local chapter meets in a bar, so no help there....

Mike Harrell

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

vwminispeedster wrote:
"Sparky" Pete wrote:

I had the hardest time finding people who wanted to drive an MGB (which is understandable). I panicked and grabbed him out of a bar. Again, I'm an idiot. But I still had the greatest time with you folks.

It's not an ass-less Citroen but I'd love to drive it the next time it's ready to do battle.  I wish I was at that bar when you were looking for a driver.  I would have jumped at the chance.

Chris "2-time tech inspector and hanger-on"

PM coming... :-)

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

I have an MGB GT.  It was my PCH.  I got another one now.  Anyhow, love to be rid of it.  Let me know if you are interested.
Tim

timdeckert wrote:

I have an MGB GT.  It was my PCH.  I got another one now.  Anyhow, love to be rid of it.  Let me know if you are interested.
Tim

?PCH?

RoadRunner wrote:
timdeckert wrote:

Tim

?PCH?

sorry - project car hell.  The last time I fixed an issue it was rear brakes - ie bled brakes and got in to move the car and the clutch is inop...I think throwout "bearing".  It has "totaled" title, wire wheels and was autocrossed previously.  I think the motor is ok, but with no cluch, who cares.  similar stories with the previous fixes.  Just a project car with no future here.

dtfastbear wrote:

Serj, you're right that I (the V8olvo driver) made a huge assumption the the TR7 driver would brake when spinning and I take full responsibility for the hit.  You're also right that a bit more patience here would have resulted in a lot less damage, if not avoided the hit altogether.  But, if you watch the video with the sound on, I was fully on the brakes before hitting the TR7 after just touching the throttle at the apex hoping to squirt by on the inside.  If you're going to make accusations about other drivers mistakes, at least have the courtesy to get your facts straight.

BTW - HUGE props to the crew, as I was back on the track in less than 20 minutes!  Ironically, the car was faster after the accident!

Cheers,

Dean

Sorry Dean for putting you on the defensive. I didn't see you in here blasting the TR7 guys for terrible spin control or any such thing. You were obviously upset from the contact, and I don't think I need to go over the whole patience thing again. You're right, you were out of the gas as the spin occurred for them. I should have been more thorough when making my point. Many people here are making out the TR7 guys as worse than I think is due their credit. "Two Feet In" and spin control are typical mainstays of more experienced racers and I just don't feel that it's okay to out a group of amateurs running an amateur race (face it with very few exceptions we're all amateurs otherwise we'd be getting paid for this shit) over this sort of contact. I wasn't there so I wasn't out to label you as any sort of bad person/driver/competitor. We're all armchair racing this from afar and this is really the whole point to the "no contact or we're penalizing both cars" philosophy.  No contact with any 2 competitors is 100% one party's fault, especially given we all are required to have mirrors and taillights. I'm just putting in my 2 bits among the armchair guys to take some heat off the other guys... I mean, they're driving a TR7, they need all the help they can get!

Great to hear you guys got the V8olvo fixed fast though. It's always a downer when you could be out doing laps.

Sincerely
Serj

Serj,

Thanks for not reacting defensively to my defensive over-reaction to your reaction to my accident! smile  I feel better now.

I'm going to take some time over Thanksgiving to put together a "low-lights" reel from the 14 hours of video I have and will try to include as many of my own mistakes as those of others... I've got plenty of material to work with.

Cheers!!

Dean

dtfastbear wrote:

Serj,

Thanks for not reacting defensively to my defensive over-reaction to your reaction to my accident! smile  I feel better now.

I'm going to take some time over Thanksgiving to put together a "low-lights" reel from the 14 hours of video I have and will try to include as many of my own mistakes as those of others... I've got plenty of material to work with.

Cheers!!

Dean

hahaha, no problem. I think I pretty closely pulled almost the exact same maneuver years ago in go-karts. just replace the volvo with my fat ass and replace the TR7 with a new/rookie FEMALE racer(one of the few in the club at the time). I had powered on and literally shot up over the top of her, and first thought to cross my mind was "Dear god I've crushed her!!" I was out of the car so fast I was told later that several people swore I was being thrown from my kart. I felt so bad I after I pulled the kart off them, I just parked it and sat on the sidelines the rest of that heat race.

Looking through my photos, I caught the Killer Bee in mid-flight:

http://www231.pair.com/factotum/Flight_ … ropped.jpg

That's a great picture!  Sorry for your lost car Bees, but it IS a cool picture.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

Pete, we'd love to drive with you, BUT we're always in the same races! ;-)
And, buff right out... if anyone could do that, you can. Good luck! (and thank you for your kind words, we're happy we could help some....)

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/

Interesting video's.  As to the Volvo, shoulda, woulda, coulda, the bottomline, IMHO was there is no way the driver of the Volvo could have known which way the car was going to roll, not roll or stop.  When stuff like that happens you make a split second decision what to do.  I think in the heat of the race, it was unavoidable.

As to the MGB, the camera car should NOT have attempted such a pass, sure he had the run on the car but you have to assume the MGB  is going to move right to take the optimum line into T10, he's in front, it's "his track".  Once the camera car saw the MGB start to move over, he sould have got off the gas and steered a bit right (yes, even off track a wee bit)  to avoid contact.  Basic rule of passing is pass a car to the INSIDE of an up coming corner.  If he had completed the pass he still would have been way out of position for T10. 

Both crashes are a bummer.  1 car totalled, 2 wrecked and one got away essentially Scott free.

cowens wrote:

Killer catch. cool

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

40 (edited by Spank 2009-11-24 02:42 PM)

http://www.imeem.com/alwayswillbewaitin … bumblebee/

cowens wrote:

Oh my...  Great shot man.

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

I must have been so shocked at the wreck and worried about Pete (who I thought might be driving) that I forgot about the photo!

FANTASTIC pic! The caption, of course, can only be "You're doing it wrong".

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

I look at that picture, then think of all the fools who came in for a black flag not in arm restraints and I shudder

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

That's a very good point.  We didn't have a window net in the V8olvo, and our driver who was in the car when it rolled has mud all over his arm when he walked back to the paddock after the accident.  Yikes...

dtfastbear wrote:

That's a very good point.  We didn't have a window net in the V8olvo, and our driver who was in the car when it rolled has mud all over his arm when he walked back to the paddock after the accident.  Yikes...

You have to balance a muddy suit and cleaning bills vs. burning to death when the window net refuses to budge.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:

I look at that picture, then think of all the fools who came in for a black flag not in arm restraints and I shudder

I had a weird dream shortly after I bought the car similar to the photo... hmm My next purchase was arm restraints along with a high quality harness.

Then I had the delicate task of explaining to miss-worry-about-my-stupid-husband-spouse why we needed them... without tripping the "over-my-dead-body" button.

We totally forget they are there when driving. Bee tested, Bee approved. lol

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Howdy all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I would like to THANK all that make this the most fun you can have on 4 wheels. This was our first time at a Lemons event, and our team is hooked. We'll be around for many, many more.

I have a ton of great shots that will be posted on our website in the next week (heck, I have a day job) and some good videos on our YT channel.

I just wanted to express our team's appreciation for the event. As someone that has put on events in the past, I know it can be a thankless job, and jeers often drown out the cheers, so we're here to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Here's some in car footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5fCJ5Op_bY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEScaRLZTKI

F'ed Up Express
POSRacing.com

Judge Jonny wrote:
dtfastbear wrote:

You have to balance a muddy suit and cleaning bills vs. burning to death when the window net refuses to budge.

Having been upside down and on fire, it's not just unlatching the window net, it's the disorientation of being wrong way up. I popped the harness and crawled out through the passenger side opening. I've been upside down two other times (no fire) and could take my time, but still opted to go out the alternate exit....window nets are more trouble than they're worth IMO.....driving school, however, is well worth the investment...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

On the V8olvo collision you guys are being pretty hard on the V8olvo driver.  When cars spin in front of you you have to make your best guess as to where they are going to go.  The Tr7 sure looked like it was going to keep on going to the outside, that would have been my guess too.  That it didn't is just racing.  Maybe the TR7 went two feet in, maybe he panicked and tried to recover, maybe the car did not respond to his inputs.  Too many possibilities for the V8olvo driver to simply get it right, he can not know what the other driver is doing, he has to make his best guess in a split second.  After that #$%^ happens, its racing.