Re: Alternate Title: California has the worst drivers

OldFart wrote:

Dean,
I've run at Sears for 10 years.  It will be a LOT of fun and you are right about who dicy it will be.  We will be working to improve the classroom stuff so you input will be appercated.  We are also thinking about a Racing 201 for more advanced drivers.  Please - it's Jim.

I was one of the new guys in your class, no track time, no wheel to wheel experience.  I thought the class was well worth it.  I got a little confused on one lap when nobody was passing in front of me, instead choosing the congo line behind a truck with a white flag out, but other than that picked up no black flags for myself and felt good about the whole thing.  Hope to see you again at Sear's Point, at least for the corner by corner track breakdown.

dtfastbear wrote:

I can ONLY IMAGINE what the guys in that Mystery Machine are thinking when I'm screaming up their asses at T8 at 100mph in a 3000lb volvo and apparently not planning to brake...

Mostly "I'm gonna keep doing what I'm doing, and I hope that dude keeps doing what he's doing, and hey this is pretty awesome! And I wish I could get this thing to go over 4200rpm!" We were having engine problems.

Seriously, we know we're slow - we try to stay out of the racing line for the most part (you have to cross it sometimes), stay predictable, and not block other traffic. We still took a couple of hits, which we were almost certainly partially responsible for. (We weren't black-flag-free.) The entire race came past us repeatedly, so we were getting heavy cars sliding around us through every corner, all going a lot faster than us, and a lot of them under questionable control.  (I saw probably half a dozen offs and spins close by while driving.) But it all mostly works out - we got hit three times I think, which is a minor miracle considering how large the van is, and how much traffic is coming through, and most people just stream right past.

At one point our pandamonium buddy Adam came screaming by in 144 on the 3/4 of a car width on the rumble strips in the exit of T8 at probably 120mph - double my speed, since I was straining toward 65mph at the time. That was pretty much my favorite of the many, many, many high-speed passes.

Thanks for staying classy while coming past us, all of you. Sorry if we blocked you ever!

MysteryAstrid wrote:

Mostly "I'm gonna keep doing what I'm doing, and I hope that dude keeps doing what he's doing, and hey this is pretty awesome! And I wish I could get this thing to go over 4200rpm!"

This was completely us at MSR.

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

Hey Men in Black, do you have a breakdown of the number of black flags for each race over the season? I only ran Reno, where the racing seemed to me to be quality stuff....my yellow strategy was to tuck in directly behind the car I was chasing as the yellow dropped, to leave a "passing lane" on either side for the sodomite trying to make the Fiero a front engine car....I wasn't Senna, but I got through the weekend without a bail bondsman...it can be done and you can still have fun...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

80 (edited by Lemons 300ZX 2009-11-24 02:23 PM)

Worst part about it all is I know when I got one of our sorry to say 7 black flags sad I said yeah sorry I did it I missed it didn't see it. Why try to deny, you guys aren't dumb. That's what I dont' get about it all. You judges and turn marshalls have been around the block and been doing this for a long time and have heard every excuse in the book so why try to bullshit.

dtfastbear wrote:

Seriously?  I certainly remember MY first time on the track.  It was sensory overload, and that was a well-controlled, point-by-passing DE event.  I remember having a hard time *really* concentrating on watching for each flag station while still remembering the track, and I also remember getting more than a little rattled when a car was right behind...

Oh yeah. As I mentioned on a couple other threads, this was the first time our car was actually driven (we missed Friday practice due to a tow truck breakdown on the way from Vancouver BC.. 50kms away from the fucking track), the first time 3 of us drove around a track, and the first time any of us drove Thunderhill.

Our strategy was 30 minute stints in the beginning, both to test the car and make sure everyone got around the track in panic mode for as little time as possible, so we could then have some time to think about what had just happened and adjust to it. I think it worked great! I'll be the first to admit the first run on the track was overwhelming. I don't think I saw any flag stations on my first 5 or 6 laps, passed maybe one of two cars that were incredibly slow and probably did lap times around the 3 minute mark haha. But on the other hand, I didn't pass anyone under yellow (well, they were too far to catch up when the flags came up, I presume), did a fairly good job of being both predictable and staying out of the way. All the iRacing experience paid out when that little black car with the yellow stripes (what the hell was it..?) hit a miata and spun out right in front of me. I have no idea who got that black flag that was ignored, but hopefully if it was me, it wasn't serious!

Everyone's second stint was so much smoother, we were actually making passes and being able to hold decent lines rather than always go wide, but still doing a fairly good job of avoiding contact.

I really hope no one on our team pissed anyone off, but honestly, if we did, please let me know. This was a lot of fun and we will do it again eventually, so comments are always appreciated.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/11/lth09-top-111.jpg

Your car looked good out there.

Judge Jonny wrote:
dp35 wrote:

Does the 521 include the 30-40 you guys allowed the 2nd place finishers to ignore, because they had great costumes?  We finished 3rd, thus the bitterness about that. 

Our car never spun, passed under yellow, or went off track, but it (me) was called in twice after being collected in other's incidents (judges agreed).  No other blacks. 

I agree the drivers sucked.  I expected crappy cars, but not such crappy drivers.  Perhaps California drivers have proven that they need more mandatory experience and/or schooling?

Yes, it includes the ONE black flag we let a six time veteran team slip through (even though we hauled them off the track to administer it).

Also -- it includes the four or five black flags I blew off for the team from Canada (one of their mother's died during the race, and there was simply no joy in punishing them).

Also, also -- where were your costumes?

EIGHT-time veteran...

For the record, we have no idea what actually happened with that black flag, but here's what we THINK happened:

I got black flagged after assuming an RX-7 driver was going to see me when I drove up next to him (8 times, you'd think I'd know better by now) and instead getting bumped into the mud. My tale of innocence was plausible enough that I was let back on the track quickly and was immediately black flagged again, before I even had a chance to earn it. We guessed that the corner workers didn't know we had gone in and were still flagging us for the old one. After a few laps, they stopped waving it at us, so maybe we were right (?)

An hour or so later, after a driver change, I hear we have an outstanding penalty on the board, so we told our new driver to look out for black flags, since he's probably going to get flagged for something I did. He never saw one.

Somehow, in my fatigue, I failed to recognize that the outstanding penalty was passing under yellow (I swear, the yellow passed under me!), and the black flag we ignored was one we assumed was for contact. I still thought they were from the same incident. When I tried to explain this nonsense to Jay, he told us to go change drivers. I think he just wanted us to go away.

I got another black flag on the checkered flag lap, but I blew that one off because I'm a cheating bastard.

-Dave

Oh, and I thought the driving was pretty clean, but then I've been to Altamont...

Eyesoreracing wrote:

EIGHT-time veteran...

For the record, we have no idea what actually happened with that black flag, but here's what we THINK happened:

I got black flagged after assuming an RX-7 driver was going to see me when I drove up next to him (8 times, you'd think I'd know better by now) and instead getting bumped into the mud. My tale of innocence was plausible enough that I was let back on the track quickly and was immediately black flagged again, before I even had a chance to earn it. We guessed that the corner workers didn't know we had gone in and were still flagging us for the old one. After a few laps, they stopped waving it at us, so maybe we were right (?)

An hour or so later, after a driver change, I hear we have an outstanding penalty on the board, so we told our new driver to look out for black flags, since he's probably going to get flagged for something I did. He never saw one.

Somehow, in my fatigue, I failed to recognize that the outstanding penalty was passing under yellow (I swear, the yellow passed under me!), and the black flag we ignored was one we assumed was for contact. I still thought they were from the same incident. When I tried to explain this nonsense to Jay, he told us to go change drivers. I think he just wanted us to go away.

I got another black flag on the checkered flag lap, but I blew that one off because I'm a cheating bastard.

-Dave

Oh, and I thought the driving was pretty clean, but then I've been to Altamont...

You bastards hosed the Bavarian Beer Wagon E30 out of second place! I hope you can live with the guilt!

MurileeMartin wrote:

You bastards hosed the Bavarian Beer Wagon E30 out of second place! I hope you can live with the guilt!

YEAH!! 

Just having you type the name of the team is a victory.  Makes my whining worthwhile.  You musta had to look up the name, cause I doubt you'd remember it.

dp35 wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

YEAH!! 

Just having you type the name of the team is a victory.  Makes my whining worthwhile.  You musta had to look up the name, cause I doubt you'd remember it.

I did have to look it up, matter of fact. That's both a good thing (your team had very few penalties and thus we didn't see much of you over the weekend) and a bad thing (your car is one of many generic-looking E30s at the West Coast races).

blazier wrote:

My worthless suggestion?  Time consuming humiliation of car, driver, and team for ALL offenses.

YES!

Also, this "worthless suggestion" will swing back around and bite you in your own ass.

Personally, I look forward to it.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Well, Sears Pointless just happens to be in THE MIDDLE OF Whine Country.  And I will bodly predict now that the black flag rate (maybe not total number, as I'm certain they'll have fewer cars) will be even higher there than Thunderhill.  The track is a lot more technical and has a number of places where it's easy to get beside cars and then find yourself without room to stay on the racing surface.  Good times.

A bit of confusion about the flags could have been set in stone during the driver's meeting as someone posted earlier, I agree. Even the veterans meeting, because obviously the veterans don't know what the hell they are doing either.

I thought the flagging was fine personally, never got a black flag for passing under yellow during either of my stints as I looked at every flag station whenever I came up on them, and waved at the flaggers when going by them under a yellow while following the car in front of me. However, I did get a black flag when someone's "brakes went out" and they rammed into the rear of my car sending me off track at turn 9, got to the penalty box, and was told that I didn't need to be there, ending my session early. Allowed the last driver on my team to go so as to save time as we were borderline on our top 20 goal thanks to being in the penalty box 8 times. Sorry Judges, btw I plan to photoshop my entire team into a whambulance and post it up here for your amusement. We also plan to refill those Growlers for you, just bring the empties to the next event and they will be replaced. smile

During a previous visit to the penalty box someone in a yellow shirt said we were NOT allowed to pass when there was a white/black border flag out. We have never heard of that before, we thought you just couldn't pass right next to the safety vehicle itself, but passing, and racing under the flag was OK. See video below, includes questionable passing, and also v8olvo's incident on Saturday, and him passing me next to a safety vehicle along with another car. Would like some clarification on all of this as my team and I fully intend on keeping things 100% clean at future races.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6nvxUNmI5s

Barbarian Motor Works
-#88 '86 325e Team Charity Case *RIP*
-#88 '89 325is Baby Blue Babyz *re-themed*
-#84 '89 325is Panzer Tank *CURRENT*

blazier wrote:

T-hill is a great track, it's just a little too close to Whine Country.  Sorry, had to get that in.

Yeah, Thunderhill is a track that really lets you Whined the car up!

91 (edited by widgetsltd 2009-11-27 09:13 PM)

SQ Bimmer wrote:

See video below, includes questionable passing, and also v8olvo's incident on Saturday, and him passing me next to a safety vehicle along with another car. Would like some clarification on all of this as my team and I fully intend on keeping things 100% clean at future races.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6nvxUNmI5s

Coincidentally, your video shows the V8olvo passing you just 3 turns before their TR7 spin/crash incident.

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

The white flag is an advisory flag, not a command flag, to alert you to the presence of slow moving vehicles.  So, passing is allowed under white flag only.  When a station shows white and yellow flags together, there is no passing, of course.

I'd say stating that I passed you "beside the safety vehicle" isn't accurate.  You're past the safety truck when I pass you.  Your subtitles are clearly insuating that I did something really dangerous and wrong.  I don't think I did, but you're entitled to your opinion.

You sticking your arm out pointing like crazy at the first car that passes you to alert to the corner workers (to an "infraction" that isn't against the rules) was confusing - it would have been easy to mistake that for a point by (see what it looked like from my perspective...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV17TJCgwBg

(video was still processing when I posted this - should be ready soon)

Cheers,

Dean

I will also say this: halfway through the race Jay walks up and says, "We've got to get rid of these fucking white flags -- no one has any clue what they mean."

Also, as to Dean's point, if we ever catch anyone tattling on someone (like say by pointing and waving at a flag worker), the guilty party will get 30 minutes, and the complaining party will get 1 hour -- for narcing.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

dtfastbear wrote:

You sticking your arm out pointing like crazy at the first car that passes you to alert to the corner workers (to an "infraction" that isn't against the rules) was confusing - it would have been easy to mistake that for a point by (see what it looked like from my perspective...)

Cheers,

Dean

Looks like 2 point-bys to me, one for each car! How do I know? I was doing that the entire friggin' time at Buttonwillow!

Spank wrote:

Looks like 2 point-bys to me, one for each car!

That was my take as well.

dtfastbear wrote:

Cheers,

Dean

Dean,
"Without passive aggressive subtitles"!
That is funny stuff! 
Thanks, got my belly laugh in for today.
Tim

Let's see - past the safety vehicle.  Check.
No yellow flag displayed. Check.
Driver on my right FRANTICALLY waving out the window and pointing.

Yep, Looks like a point-by to me.

Game On!  Foot to the floor! So long suckers!

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

I was actually trying to point at the flag tower thinking you guys didn't see the flag. Like I said, someone in a yellow staff shirt told us that there was no passing under that flag. Apparently I was the only one who cared about the flag. I suppose it could have been confused as a point by since most people don’t know how to properly point a car by: ONE single point, for each car. Not a frantic pointing motion like some people do who haven’t been to a proper driving school.

I also had no passive-aggressive intention with the subtitles btw, if you took it that way then you may be in denial of the danger of your maneuver next to the safety vehicle, and like you said, it is my opinion and I do believe it wasn’t the right move on your part, nor the car in front of you. Your video clearly shows that you are taking a passing position on me as I was going by the safety vehicle and not allowing me room to steer clear from the safety vehicle, forcing us 2 wide. I was pointing at the flag tower thinking that maybe you had received the same memo I did regarding the white flag, and that you would peel off the throttle for just a second longer while we went by. Obviously I was the only one waiting for a clear flag tower before continuing to race, and I wasn't about to put the butt end of my car in front of yours while I could see you in my left mirror knowing just a touch of your throttle would send us both spinning next to the safety vehicle. Had you been a slower car, I may have cut over to the left. Since my incident at Buttonwillow, I have become a fairly defensive driver on the track and I don't take many chances anymore.

I also mean no disrespect for you or your team, believe me I have the utmost respect for you guys and I was on the observation deck at Buttonwillow cheering on your chase on the final lap, then hoping the Pizza delivery guy was safe... such a dramatic end to a hot weekend. Was also pretty excited to see the car in person for the first time at that event, I have been following you guys online for a while. It was also me telling you guys on Sunday before the race that I had video of the T10 collision and that I would get it to you, because that was clearly a bad move by the spinning car not putting both feet in. It just so happen to be right after my flag question so I kept it all in the same video. We were talking about it Saturday night and came to the same conclusion that if the guy just locked his brakes he would have spun off wide and your move to the inside would have been perfectly safe. I think I would have done the same thing myself. Obviously that collision pales in comparison to the day 2 incident. I haven't had a chance yet to go over the day 2 video but I think that may have been witnessed through our windshield as well, not totally sure. I just remember our driver over the radio stating you were on your roof not too long after everyone in the tower started calling out yellow flag.

And Jonny, we were not confused about white flags until one of your staff members told us not to pass under it, hence me asking for a solid answer on it. We all know that white flags do not mean no passing and is just a warning, hence our complaining in the penalty box since one of the guys told us that TWO of our black flag penalties were for making a pass under that very flag... Maybe that was a communication error, maybe our driver passed a car next to a safety vehicle and that's what the penalty was for, either way, I am long over it and must say that some of the punishments were actually pretty entertaining in the penalty box, besides not being on track putting down laps. Still had a great time, and like I said, I will get that photoshop of us in the whambulance completed at my earliest convenience.

Barbarian Motor Works
-#88 '86 325e Team Charity Case *RIP*
-#88 '89 325is Baby Blue Babyz *re-themed*
-#84 '89 325is Panzer Tank *CURRENT*

It wasn't the first time that weekend there was a lot of confusion over the white flag - I'd definitely suggest that Jay clear that up at the drivers' meeting for ALL drivers, not just the new drivers' longer meeting.  I think it is as easy as "White flag doesn't mean no passing, but it does mean stay in control and look out for a slow moving vehicle, probably a safety vehicle.  If you make what the flaggers think is dangerous or aggressive move or a pass too near a safety truck under the white flag, you'll be black flagged.  The flagger's judgment is the only one that counts, so be conservative."

And, sorry for being an ass in my response.  I'm always nastier in forums than I am in person.  At least I think that's the case.  Maybe I'm a dick all the time in person, too?? smile

I still don't believe I did anything dangerous in that situation, but I can absolutely agree that I *could* have provided more room when we were near the safety truck.  I did what I'd do when racing and what I'd expect any other racer to do, but I forget that not everyone out there is an experienced racer.  It was obvious from your gesturing as that smaller car passed you that you didn't think passing was allowed there, so I should have realized you wouldn't expect me to get very close either.

Looking forward to seeing you guys out there at Infineon.  Not sure if we'll be back with the V8olvo or some other chariot, but we'll be there.

And I've said it before, but I'll say it again.  If anyone thought watching the flags was tough at Thunderhill is going to be screwed at Infineon.  There's a LOT more "going on" at that track, and the flag stands are easy to lose in the scenery.  It's going to be fun!

Cheers,

Dean

How many black flags were there at The Lamest Day?  Just curious...