Topic: Wow-so its more fun to finish eh? [aka Thanksgiving post]

Thanks to everyone at THill... we had a blast.

This was our 2nd race, our car was in better shape, we had a better theme, and we had more fun...

Thanks to Red Rocket Racing on one side and Chia Bull on the other side for being good neighbors (Sorry young Celica drivers, maybe next year for your car - good luck).

Thanks to the Gnomes for building a Geo Metro that sounds like an F1 car and is probably 1000% more exciting than any car I have reviewed for work.

Thanks to Jay for claiming that Benz, and thanks to the Benz team for being slow as shit...

Thanks to the two teams that put Hooniverse stickers on their cars (and thanks Paul, for the Maxima).

Thanks to the judges for being all-around awesome and hilarious...

Thanks to the faster teams for passing us safely and thanks to the slower teams for moving out of the way.

Thanks to the gentleman who drove the Ranger 1st shift on Sunday - that was a blast to battle you...

Thanks to my team especially our head mechanic, Mad_Science, who repaired the shift linkage (on our 3spd auto) AND swapped a Guibo, with me in the car... I think we were back out in 45 minutes.

Thanks to the entire Lemons staff (and Knuckles) for organizing such a fun event.

So... thanks everyone!

-Jeff, captain of the Uberbird team.

Uberbird!

2 (edited by X-args 2009-11-23 09:29 AM)

Re: Wow-so its more fun to finish eh? [aka Thanksgiving post]

You guys had a great theme, and were a blast to run with.

Personally, this was among the nicer races for me as far as idiot drivers, maybe because I've only ever done Lemons as a car racer, and have learned the Lemons Way (eyes on stalks looking for yellows and approaching trouble from astern...)

The UberBird was pretty quick, and I'm still amazed the tranny survived.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

X-args wrote:

The UberBird was pretty quick, and I'm still amazed the tranny survived.

Thanks - we have to take a look because it may have just held up for that last dash to the end...

I didn't have top gear for the the end of sunday so as I would go to pass on the straights I would run out of revs and bounce of the limiter, then be forced to duck in behind the car I was trying to pass.

Oh well.. maybe it is time to upgrade to a FOUR speed auto.

Uberbird!

Special triple thanks to Uber-bird driver Ted, who actually admitted an accident was his fault -- the only driver all weekend that admitted contact was his fault.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

While we're giving thanks, I'd like to thank Clay for a fun battle in the Shark Car (against my V8olvo) on Saturday afternoon and to the Save the Whale driver for a great battle on Sunday afternoon.  I don't know who you are, but you were kicking some ass through traffic.  I was impressed!  Unfortunately, I blew a front tire (after I flatspotted the hell out of it avoiding a potential pass-under-yellow situation) shortly after you got back around me, so I couldn't continue the fight.  But it sure was fun while it lasted!  Always good fun to have someone to actually race with instead of just slaloming the less-fast cars smile

Cheers,

Dean

Hi Dean, that was me in the Save the Whale and that was some of the most fun of the whole race for me.  Biggest laugh out loud moment was watching you keep your foot in it with about a 45deg drift angle all the way from 14 to 15.  My radio guy said "that guy in the Volvo is driving the piss out of that car!".    Thanks for the point by on the front straight, though I don't think I had much more mph than you did.

-Andy

amrx7 wrote:

Hi Dean, that was me in the Save the Whale and that was some of the most fun of the whole race for me.  Biggest laugh out loud moment was watching you keep your foot in it with about a 45deg drift angle all the way from 14 to 15.  My radio guy said "that guy in the Volvo is driving the piss out of that car!".    Thanks for the point by on the front straight, though I don't think I had much more mph than you did.

-Andy

Speaking of that front straight... I tried to convince my team that they only needed to break before they turned in, and then FLOOR it to that outside apex. That turn could be taken VERY quickly...

However, I saw lots of brake lights when I was spotting...

Turn 8 got more exciting as our tires started wearing and the car really began to enjoy understeering...

Uberbird!

Hey Andy - nice to meet you virtually.  I don't think you had any more speed on the straight than we did, but we were having some trouble getting 5th gear occasionally.  When I pointed you by, I couldn't get 5th.  Probably because I was rushing the shift because you were all over my ass!!  I'll post the video shortly from when you pass me on the front straight to the blown tire.  It's a nice clip that shows what's it's like to drive some of the fastest cars in the race.  Again, GREAT driving and fun battling with you.

Cheers,

Dean

I was on track when the UberBird went around and into the infield of T8.
Glad you got things back in shape.

We had a great and challenging finish, too.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Video of the V8olvo chasing Andy in the Whale.  You can actually hear my front right tire blow on the near the beginning of the front straight towards the end of the video clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqEsqmvfhjU

Quality sucks, but I've been fighting with Youtube and the formats it'll take.

fighting with Youtube and the formats it'll take.

Everything internet related is vomitous all weekend...what's the deal?!?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th

Killer vid, Dean.

Makes me want to slam a 350 SBC under the hood with a RWD...

blatant cheatmobile. 'filthy cheater'

KT

trekkor wrote:

Killer vid, Dean.

KT

Are you calling me and Judge Martin's old race car a filthy cheater?

Why I never!

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

14 (edited by X-args 2009-11-23 10:38 PM)

Yes you did. Repeatedly.
And continue to do so, in the entirely Lamm supported role of Your Honor...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

trekkor wrote:

Killer vid, Dean.

KT

You go right ahead. The only engine less reliable than an SBC at Lemons would be that Yamaha thang in the SHO. No, wait, the SBC is worse.

MurileeMartin wrote:
trekkor wrote:

Killer vid, Dean.

KT

You go right ahead. The only engine less reliable than an SBC at Lemons would be that Yamaha thang in the SHO. No, wait, the SBC is worse.

Hey now, that SHO motor has over 240,000 miles on it and still makes 210 psi compression.

damn that volvo's fast. so were the save the whale guys... what were they running? Dean, your vid clips just makes me fiend for more racind. it's a shame racing out west is cost-prohibitive for me, THill looks like mad fun in that volvo.

Hoonlarity wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:
trekkor wrote:

Killer vid, Dean.

KT

Hey now, that SHO motor has over 240,000 miles on it and still makes 210 psi compression.

Fluke.

SHO motors are the world's prettiest grenades.

MurileeMartin wrote:

The RumRunner 305 has been pretty reliable, no?

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

YesIFit wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

The RumRunner 305 has been pretty reliable, no?

That's not a 305. That's the much-reviled 267!

21 (edited by Hoonlarity 2009-11-24 01:34 PM)

Judge Jonny wrote:
Hoonlarity wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

Fluke.

SHO motors are the world's prettiest grenades.

I've been corrected, it has 280,000+ miles on it.  Having owned two of them for several years with a combined 6 months of operational time, I'm not inclined to disagree with you with regards to the transmissions and rod bearings.  After all, SHOSource.com sells T-shirts with the slogan "Taurus SHO: Making mechanics out of ordinary people since 1989"

So put us in the "ugly" category  smile

FatBraff wrote:

Thanks to Jay for claiming that Benz, and thanks to the Benz team for being slow as shit....

Sorry if I held you up. I was on the phone with my broker about half the time I was on track.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

magnusracing wrote:
FatBraff wrote:

Thanks to Jay for claiming that Benz, and thanks to the Benz team for being slow as shit....

Sorry if I held you up. I was on the phone with my broker about half the time I was on track.

You never held me up once...

Did that car have speaker phone? If so, that would have been a hilarious way to communicate with your pit crew.

Uberbird!

24 (edited by BushWacker 2009-11-24 05:58 PM)

Dean-  Saturday racing you was such a fricken blast.   I was struggling with a faulting AFM and had to readjust my driving to really carry speed with much less brakes.  I would love to see some of the video you have of us dicing.  I have a short one from when we came out of the local yellow.  I will try and get more up.  Wish you had been out on sunday when we had fixed our AFM problem and the engine was running smooth.

http://vimeo.com/7806921

What a fun race!!!  Lemons seems to be getting better and more fun.   
Thank you Jay, Nick, Jonny, Phil, John and everyone who helped and worked to have this race happen.
   We could've REALLY done with less of the QVC Style Track Annoucer trying to sell everything but the air for the saving of the track.   Not once did he make any announcements about either of the Checkered Flags or anything about what was going on in the race.  It was so annoying that every 15 minutes he was on the speakers pitching for our money.  But maybe that was just me.

Ask and you shall receive.  Video cut and processing right now.  Check back in the morning!

Agreed - totally fun battle.  And if that's your car having problems, I don't think I could have hung with you when it was running well!!

Cheers,

Dean