Topic: Used Subie Shopping - help a brother out

So... I want to buy a used Subaru in the WRX/STI category.  But without buying someone else's hooned-to-hell, waiting to blow up crap trap.

Is there a model that's "almost" there but without the decorative elements/trick suspension that was probably driven by a phys ed teacher back and forth to school each day?  Something that I could transmogrify into the same or similar performance as the WRX/STI brothers?

Basically, an Impreza with the same motor/trans?

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

Re: Used Subie Shopping - help a brother out

I don't think so, but there was the much dorkier Forester XT with the WRX running gear

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

The Legacy GT has a detuned version of the same 2.5 Turbo engine.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

According to Wikipedia, the 3rd gen Imprezas were only available in North America with the same 2.5L engine as the WRX. However, none of them came turbocharged except the WRX. There are definitely aftermarket turbo kits out there, but I have no idea how much work and money it requires, nor how much benefit you get.

On the advice of a coworker of mine, I wouldn't buy a used WRX without at the very least having a leakdown test done on it. Apparently the rings are the first thing to go when they're hooned.

Isn't there that one saab that's just a wrx in drag? Only dentists drive saabs so there's that.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

9-2 waggy, which didn't sell well.  The saab purists hated it cause it was a subie, and of course the subie folks hated it cause it looked like a saab.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

I'd just shop for a WRX but take my time about it, and get a PPI done as Frank recommended. I'm sure you can find one formerly owned by a dentist/accountant/teacher who didn't get all mod-happy if you take your time.

If there's an anodized-gold blow-off valve, back away.
If you see aftermarket gauges, back away.
If you see signs of suspension "experiments," back away.

If you hear bad noises from the transmission, run.

Since the STI was the more expensive model when new, that might actually be the better one to look for-- might not have gotten into the mod-happy hands of a hoon.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

8 (edited by BoB 2013-08-15 07:30 AM)

get the saabaru.  http://www.9motors.com/images/saab92x.jpg

GM had subaru basically stick the saab front end on an imprezza wrx and put the saab interior in it.

its a Saab 9-2x aero

Also if you want bigger my Subaru Legacy gt (2005-2009 are the good years) is also really nice.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Thanks for all the tips!  This isn't a "right now" decision.  So I'll take my time and keep my eyes open.

And, yes, anodized/vinyl graphics/aftermarket gauges, hell... even evidence of stereo modifications would all be signs to run away.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)

Well, the stereo in our '02 was... okay, I guess. But nothing special. So I wouldn't be too surprised at a head-unit swap, but anything involving added amps would certainly budge the needle on my Skeptometer.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

I may be wrong, but I would think that the WRX wagon in general would be less prone to hoonage since kids think wagons aren't cool.  We know they're wrong, of course.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Some assembly required.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m273/chicagozer/970666_10200405559006895_991562251_n_zps777ab077.jpg

Good Luck Everybody Else Racing. Yes, we have a fan page.

One of my teammates bought a used WRX to do NASA rally cross. First run, blew the motor, lubrication failure. Got the engine rebuilt. First lap, second race: same result.

As far as I'm concerned, no boxer engine should be raced without either a dry sump and a big oil tank, or a big Accusump. Or both.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

cpchampion wrote:

I'd just shop for a WRX but take my time about it, and get a PPI done as Frank recommended. I'm sure you can find one formerly owned by a dentist/accountant/teacher who didn't get all mod-happy if you take your time.

If there's an anodized-gold blow-off valve, back away.
If you see aftermarket gauges, back away.
If you see signs of suspension "experiments," back away.

If you hear bad noises from the transmission, run.

Since the STI was the more expensive model when new, that might actually be the better one to look for-- might not have gotten into the mod-happy hands of a hoon.

Good point about the STI. More likely to be driven by an adult professional than a rich high school kid.

I helped a friend of mine test drive a 2011 WRX a few weeks ago, which is why I had asked my 2012 model-owning coworker for advice. When we got there, I shit you not, it had a "My First Subaru" decal on the back. There was also an aftermarket vacuum gauge on the dash; the dealership probably only left it there because there would've left visible mounting holes if they'd removed it. Started it up and it sounded great, but sure enough there was white smoke coming out of the exhaust until it warmed up. It had just rained that morning, but it sure as hell didn't smell like water vapor.

Mulry wrote:

One of my teammates bought a used WRX to do NASA rally cross. First run, blew the motor, lubrication failure. Got the engine rebuilt. First lap, second race: same result.

Funny, the guys at GRM did the same thing.  Three laps and boom!

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/projec … lowing-up/

papal_smear wrote:
Mulry wrote:

Funny, the guys at GRM did the same thing.  Three laps and boom!

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/projec … lowing-up/

We'll have to see how it does after the engine rebuild.  Alan of Team Resignation has the GRM car now and recently rebuilt the engine.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Mulry wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, no boxer engine should be raced without either a dry sump and a big oil tank, or a big Accusump. Or both.

No racing planned.  I just want something that can get out of its own way and have a little fun now and again in daily driving duty.

After 6 years of driving a Scion xB and the past year of splitting time between a Honday Odyssey and a Toyota Prius, I'm ready to have a fun daily driver again.

(Not complaing too much, though...  I do have the dirt modified and the EXP as my toys.)

If you must buy a Subaru (bad idea in my opinion), look for one with the 2.2 not the 2.5  The 2.2 is more reliable than the 2.5 and slightly less likely to blow head gaskets.

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

There are unmolested ones out there just takes time. For you oiling problem guys you need an  STI oil pump and an extra quart of the thick stuff (15w50 in the Subaru of Discontent)

Totally mis-read the thread as Used Subie Chopping...

...somewhat disappointing, this.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.