Topic: Congratulations to the only black-flag-free team!

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/11/noblackflags-800px.jpg

Yes, car #89, the An Inconvenient Car Taurus SHO, managed to go around the track 248 times without getting even one black flag. I believe this is the first race in Lemons history in which we had fewer than a half-dozen penalty-free entries (not counting vehicles that blew up during the first 15 minutes, of course, so you guys with the SVX can stop patting yourselves on the back).

Also, this team deserves credit for managing to avoid catastrophic transmission and/or engine failure for so many laps- that's quite an accomplishment for a SHO!

Re: Congratulations to the only black-flag-free team!

Driving back to LA on Sunday we passed this car and I was amazed that I didn't recognize it.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

3 (edited by magnusracing 2009-11-24 12:45 AM)

Congrats to Team Inconvenient Truth - that is quite an accomplishment actually.

Team "Diplomatic Immunity" was close to being black flag free as well. We only got ONE black flag in our slow, heavy Mercedes S600 and it was for "Cruising while Luxurious". smile

We tried to stay out of everybodys way and I think most were smart enough not to try to hit our 5000lb tank.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

4 (edited by Hoonlarity 2009-11-24 12:55 AM)

We had a great time.  Our fourth Lemons race and the strategy was to have fun, no penalties, and hope for no mechanicals.  That led us to a 30th place finish, I believe.  Thanks for the recognition. Nothing like a few ball-busting penalties in previous races to make a team come around, eh?

Oh, and for those that don't recognize it, we were GI SHO and Deja Moo.

Thanks for putting on a great event for a hoon driver like me that had never seen a competition license until you sold me one!

I totally fudged it for my team; went around once after volvo-roll and it was corner yellow, by the time I came around again it was full course, but I was ass-uming it was going to be like the previous lap so I accelerated after I passed the roll-scene flag station to get back up to speed and made some passes before I realized my embarrassing rookie mistake. Sorry to those I passed under yellow, I tried to give those spots back while we were still under full course yellow, but in hindsight that was probably not proper or smart.

The flags were MUCH better this year too. Apparently, I gotta learn how to multitask with my eyes better.

8 time Lemons loser!
Go team Faster Farms! [ http://fasterfarms.blogspot.com ]

We were so close to going 'flag free'... So close.

Why was my driver posting to Facebook during his stint?  Why?!?!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Who was the guy that got a black flag for waving to his wife and then driving off the track?

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:

Who was the guy that got a black flag for waving to his wife and then driving off the track?

No way... that's too funny.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

trekkor wrote:

KT

Wha?!?!?

Seriously, how?

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

My primary goal this race was no black flags, collisions, or off-roading. Success! My first clean race out of 6, due to largely to generous flaggers i'm sure.

NDGeist wrote:
trekkor wrote:

KT

Wha?!?!?

Seriously, how?

Trekkor is making a weird joke

Though we did catch some team using a hand held radio...

I followed some boat for minute apparently using a rag as a gas cap, spilling fuel. Hope they got nailed.

Congrats SHO drivers... we shared a paddock space, but not a blag flag count (I think we had 3 or 4).

Uberbird!

Judge Jonny wrote:

Trekkor is making a weird joke

Though we did catch some team using a hand held radio...

We were the ones that had the radio, but the Facebook post sounded funnier.
We got off easy with a 'stop and go' in jail.

We could have been awesome...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

You might want to hold your applause for the Black Flag Free Team until I post and you review my low-lights video... smile smile

16 (edited by Disney 2009-11-24 11:00 AM)

MurileeMartin wrote:

I believe this is the first race in Lemons history in which we had fewer than a half-dozen penalty-free entries (not counting vehicles that blew up during the first 15 minutes, of course, so you guys with the SVX can stop patting yourselves on the back).

neutral yikes mad  It made 7 laps before it broke!!!!! These california drivers could rack up 9 black flags in as many laps!

dtfastbear wrote:

You might want to hold your applause for the Black Flag Free Team until I post and you review my low-lights video... smile smile

I was quietly wondering how many "potential black flags" there may have been on this "black-flag-free" team.  There are always a few.  Always.

For every black flag I've gotten in 5 races (maybe 3 total?), there are at least two incidents that "could have been flagged", but weren't.  I'm sure most of us have our share of "dodged bullet" tales... and the ones who don't probably aren't paying close enough attention!

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

18 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-11-24 11:12 AM)

Judge Jonny wrote:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/11/wavetowife-800px.jpg

I happened to be there with my camera when it happened. This E36 was doing just fine coming out of Turn 11, no other cars for hundreds of yards, and then it just spun out for no apparent reason. I wanted to have a chat with the driver about this, so I rushed back to the Penalty Box. Turns out he took his hand off the wheel to wave at Mrs. Spinout, who was standing there with all the camera dudes, and...

We picked up our Black flag in the last 5 minutes on Sunday.  So now we have 1 at Thunderhill and 0 at Buttonwillow.  Sears next?

Oh right... We should have let them bring an E46.

MurileeMartin wrote:

I happened to be there with my camera when it happened. This E36 was doing just fine coming out of Turn 11, no other cars for hundreds of yards, and then it just spun out for no apparent reason. I wanted to have a chat with the driver about this, so I rushed back to the Penalty Box. Turns out he took his hand off the wheel to wave at Mrs. Spinout, who was standing there with all the camera dudes, and...

I was behind that guy for a while and noticed that the two left side wheels seemed to be pointing in different directions while going down the front straight.  He got all twisted up at random moments...I think his suspension was seriously tweaked.

MurileeMartin wrote:

That explains the seemingly unnatural attraction between E36 M3s and tire walls, armco, and trees.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

We were also black flag free, although the engine died at 12.00 on Sunday!

It was pretty amazing considering none of us had driven Thunderhill before (not even Friday practice), 3 of us had never driven ANY track before, and 2 of us had never driven the car before!

I have to say, that IS amazing!  Nice work.

Tiago_InternationOLVO wrote:

We were also black flag free, although the engine died at 12.00 on Sunday!

Uh, nope.  You had at least one and it was ignored.  I worked the penalty box tallying these things and the SHO was the only clean (still running) car.  As of Saturday there were 50 penalties that were ignored and a couple dozen on Sunday.  The SHO guys definitely get the "reform school" award seeing as their first race or two they were very naughty.  They have learned their lesson and are a great example for some folks on here.

WELL DONE GUYS!!