Topic: Turn 12? Naaa, just go 4 wheels off!

Witness the track map:

http://www.thunderhill.com/assets/images/trackmapnew02.jpg

Notice that right hand turn numbered 12? A lot of guys didn't! Observe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCEorBBw5W0

I watched it happen lap after lap by the same cars, and maybe 50% of the field was "in" on the shortcut. Now I'm all for getting the most out of the track you have available, but I didn't realize stuff like this was kosher. In three hours on track, I managed to be suckered into that extra right turn every lap! Sure skipping the turn might have been faster, but I guess I wanted to get my money's worth! (And I hadn't gone up on the back hill until after my driving was over to see all those other cars get away with it).

So what's the deal, was this supposed to be ok or what? Does that mean I can use any pavement I want and its not an off? Cause turn 5 would've been a lot faster if I just followed the line the safety truck took through it! Heck, I should've just taken a hard left after 5a and hit the front strait again. With 1 minute laptimes I could've sat out a whole day and still whooped everyone.

Exaggeration, obviously, but you can see where I'm going with it. Did you guys cut out turn 12 too? Did you feel guilty about it, or is this actually an optional turn and I'm just a moron?

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

2 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-11-24 01:49 AM)

Re: Turn 12? Naaa, just go 4 wheels off!

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/11/wipeoutcrownvic.jpg

You mean this turn?

I noticed that when I went up to T11 to take photos.  I saw so many cars go off and spin there that I wondered whether it was possible that they were all getting flagged for it.  On top of it, I saw the purple Jesus car consistently taking a line straight through the runoff.  I'll admit to using that knowledge on Sunday when passing 3 across coming out of 11.  I just stayed in the throttle and used the paved area since it seemed to be permitted the previous day.  I didn't make a habit of it as you never know how the rules are going to be enforced from lap to lap.  I think you did the wise thing and shouldn't regret it.

There was a turn 12? I must have missed it!  I thought the exit of 11 was just rough.

sawinatthewheel...sometimes too much, sometimes not enough...just like life

We listened very carefully in the Saturday AM driver's meeting.
No cones were harmed and no dirt was tilled.

With that said, we were passing up to three cars at a time, lap after lap on the gators!! No guilt or shame at all.

The outside of 14-15 was also 'full joy'.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

There was a similar situation at MSR-Houston. Coming out of the last turn (Carousel) onto the front straight, there was some rubber curbing over by the track-out and most people either slowed down or didn't track all the way out so as not to hit it. However, you could drive right over it without upsetting the car one bit.

That extra momemtum in our 107hp car was good for catching at least one, sometimes two, cars down the front straight.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

If it is paved and it's not coned or tire-walled off, use it to your advantage.  The "shortcut" through the esses has some pretty big whoops in it, though, so it wasn't necessarily a good idea for low and/or stiff cars.  Going wide in T14 is only advantageous for a few feet.  After that, you're just off line.

trekkor wrote:

We listened very carefully in the Saturday AM driver's meeting.
No cones were harmed and no dirt was tilled.

D'oh! That's what I get for being at the Mitsubishi recycler's in Rancho Cordova during that meeting. I wonder if our drivers that went to the meeting heard that and used the "bypass" and just neglected to share it with us so they could have fast lap bragging rights...

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

Going wide in T14 is only advantageous for a few feet.

Normally.
But, when you're on the outside of a three-wide freight train, it's pretty special!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th

Driving outside of a painted line on the pavement does not constitute an "off".  If they didn't want you to go there, they'd have coned it.

From what I'm seeing in your video, straight-lining turn 12 was fair game!

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

11 (edited by Bender/StickFigureRacing 2009-11-24 09:10 AM)

trekkor wrote:

Going wide in T14 is only advantageous for a few feet.

Normally.
But, when you're on the outside of a three-wide freight train, it's pretty special!

KT

+1 especially when you need to pit and somehow you get pushed to the outside of the turn, when you thought signaling you feelings to pit and swear you you were on the right side of the track and somehow you end up with a car squeezing in next you. Only happened to me once.:D I guess someone needed to pee more than I did!

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

If they didn't want you driving there, they'd put up barrels like they normally do. I had all of my drivers taking the express lane.

To finish first, first you must finish. -Rick Mears
Pandamonium Racing

I saw many a driver take that route but I only did it once or twice... I should have been hammering right through there.. DAMNIT we could have finished in the 70s if I cut that corner...

Uberbird!

I think some in-car video is in order.

Who'll post first?

KT

trekkor wrote:

I think some in-car video is in order.

Who'll post first?

KT

We don't have video there but we DO have video of one of our drivers going STRAIGHT off at 10. He thought he overcooked it and rather than try to save or push it through the turn, he went straight off...

I am still not sure if this was smart or if he chickened out because 10 was faster than people first seemed to think. The car was fine though and he was safe, so I am not upset about it... actually, its Lemons - I am not upset about anything.

When is the next race again?

Uberbird!

For the record, there were tires and cones blocking most of that run off at the start on Saturday. The course just got altered.

Chotus! Chotus! Chotus! Chotus!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUBqg3687BI

Here's two laps with me driving.
Passing cars in T12 both times!!

KT

I am guilty of taking that same line on every lap i took. It was the only place i could get the hell out of the way for everybody and it gave me a little break from watching my mirrors to try and figure out the radio and cell phone code in the car so i could listen to some tunes and make some calls. I require my creature comforts in my racing whips. smile

Mega Mega Pimpin Pendejo

I did not do it! really.....

Wait am I in trouble ...

I was not sure of the ruling on 12. Straight lined it a couple times. Usually tried to keep 2 tires inside the paint. Only cause I was not sure, did not hear it mentioned in driver meetings.

The outside of 14 15 is nice for staying out of the dirt and mud that was constantly getting kicked up on the inside of that turn. I like taking the far outside in this Lemons race especially because it gave me an earlier look down the straight for whatever carnage or parked cars and safety vehicles I might need to navigate.

The corner worker on the inside of 14-15 is hard to see, particularly when the mystery machine is inside you. I wish the corner worker outside turn 14 would have been waving a flag on saturday more often when safety trucks were parked on the straight. I saw some very close calls with the safety crew at the beginning of the front straight on Saturday.

Pandamonium skipped turn 12 every time. Only one of our drivers was smart enough to do the same. I think that's where they got the 4 laps on us.

That, and maybe putting enough gas in the car...

-Dave

Eyesoreracing wrote:

Pandamonium skipped turn 12 every time. Only one of our drivers was smart enough to do the same. I think that's where they got the 4 laps on us.

"skipped" is such a harsh word. I prefer to think of it as taking the optimal line wink

If it was worth 1 second/lap (and probably more in traffic), it certainly added up over the course of the race.

To finish first, first you must finish. -Rick Mears
Pandamonium Racing

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_LZUv4VQH9P0/SwzU17Jf06I/AAAAAAAAAFY/wIUpWirvcjQ/s912/IMG_1409.JPG

Lots of good photo ops at that "turn."

laz wrote:
Eyesoreracing wrote:

"skipped" is such a harsh word. I prefer to think of it as taking the optimal line wink

If it was worth 1 second/lap (and probably more in traffic), it certainly added up over the course of the race.

I KNEW that was the only reason you beat us.

Caught the Starski & Hutch Capri going sideways on turn 11

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2674/4134729160_9a3557600a.jpg

Where did that car finish? When I saw it, I thought IOE winner. I forgot how much Jay likes old Vee-dubs...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT