1 (edited by Mulry 2013-08-20 06:04 AM)

Topic: Nissan Pickups to get Cummins Diesels, Future of RAM in Peril?

Just read in the WSJ this morning that Nissan and Cummins inked a deal yesterday to start putting Cummins diesel engines in Titan pickup trucks going forward. Looks like it will be a clean-sheet design that Cummins was working on for the RAM 1500 when Chrysler went bankrupt in 2009, and then Fiat wanted to use their own oil burner instead of the outsourced unit from beautiful Columbus, Indiana.

Considering that the main (only?) reason to buy a RAM pickup is the Cummins mill, and that Nissan interior quality is only about 100% better than that of the RAM, will we see a bunch of Titan-based tow rigs in Lemons in say 5 years, when these trucks get into the typical LeMon-team tow rig budget range (forgive the preposterous assumption that Lemons will still exist in 5 years. God help us all)?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Re: Nissan Pickups to get Cummins Diesels, Future of RAM in Peril?

Interesting.. But I wonder if they will they offer a manual transmission. 

I'm stuck with my 2003 F350/6spd with Dodge as the only replacement option now since it is the only one that offers a stick.

Here is to crossing my fingers that more heavy duty pickups will be available with diesel engines and manual transmissions.

Hmm, 4cyl oil  burner. Interesting, rumor back in the day was a small v6 for the light duty ram.

Cummins To Supply 4-Cylinder Diesel For Nissan Titan
Jeff Cobb August 20, 2013
Tweet EmailPrintGo BackPrint this page.Photo GallerySorry there are no photos!
Hide

Today Cummins of Columbus, Ind., is expected to announce a four-cylinder diesel engine developed for use in Nissan Titan full-sized pickup trucks.

This is according to the Wall Street Journal which cited people familiar with the arrangement.

The Titan’s sales have flagged in comparison to offerings by General Motors and Ford, and last year Nissan sold 21,576 units in the U.S. and a few more in Canada and the Middle East.

Previously Cummins had been developing a four-cylinder diesel for Chrysler’s RAM 1500 but in the wake of the 2009 Chrysler bankruptcy, that contract was voided.

Cummins already supplies a powerful six-cylinder diesel for Dodge pickup trucks that is also used in medium duty commercial applications.

Cummins is the largest supplier of heavy duty truck engines in North America, and holds down 40 percent of the market.

The new four-cylinder diesel engine slated for the Nissan was reportedly developed under a U.S. Department of Energy program. The decision to use it in the Titan line followed just months after Nissan hired as sales chief former Chrysler Ram brand chief Fred Diaz.

Nissan’s mirroring of Chrysler’s lead is also not without precedent in the area of chassis. In 2008, Nissan had said it would buy from Chrysler its RAM truck platform to underpin the Titan. For this chassis, Nissan had planned to trade a compact car design desired by Chrysler, but its bankruptcy nixed this deal as well.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

I owned a Titan, never again.  Hell, I will never own another Nissan again. 

Their customer service sucks ass and they left me stranded for over 2 weeks (missing two driving events) while they tried to fix a broken gas line that they broke in the first place (after a fuel pump recall where the replacement pump was also bad).

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

5 (edited by Baron 2013-08-20 08:16 AM)

http://blogs.cars.com/.a/6a00d83451b3c669e2017d41dc94fd970c-800wi

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/stroked71/Cummins/26d1b256-5043-4144-8cc5-49b6ba417ba6_zpsd4bb4279.jpg

May 2011

http://blogs.cars.com/.a/6a00d83451b3c669e2014e8885101d970d-800wi

http://blogs.cars.com/.a/6a00d83451b3c669e201538e9199cc970b-800wi

http://blogs.cars.com/.a/6a00d83451b3c669e2014e8885114e970d-800wi

http://blogs.cars.com/.a/6a00d83451b3c669e201538e919a28970b-800wi

The engine has a 2.8-liter displacement (170 cubic inches). Initial power figures on the engine dyno have the mule test engine producing 350 pounds-feet of torque at around 1,800 rpm. A chart in the presentation shows targeted power levels to be approximately 220 horsepower and 380 pounds-feet.

The engine is a derivative of the four-cylinder ISF architecture that Cummins builds overseas, with 2.8-liter and 3.8-liter displacements, according to a Cummins spokesman. The overseas 3.8-liter is rated at 168 horsepower and 443 pounds-feet of torque.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

The plan circa 2008 was for the Ram 1500 to receive a new Cummins V6 & V8 engine family that was developed with some assistance from Department of Energy funding: http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/dodg … ewall.html  In the end, it apparently was decided that there wasn't a big enough market for a 1500 diesel pickup. GM and Ford apparently came to the same conclusion regarding the diesel engines that they had developed for light pickup use. The new Ram engine is a 3.0L V6 from VM Motori/Fiat.

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

http://cumminsengines.com/nissan-to-equ … tion-titan

5.0L V8 300hp 500tq

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

widgetsltd wrote:

The plan circa 2008 was for the Ram 1500 to receive a new Cummins V6 & V8 engine family that was developed with some assistance from Department of Energy funding: http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/dodg … ewall.html  In the end, it apparently was decided that there wasn't a big enough market for a 1500 diesel pickup. GM and Ford apparently came to the same conclusion regarding the diesel engines that they had developed for light pickup use. The new Ram engine is a 3.0L V6 from VM Motori/Fiat.

Interesting.  Pondering a new Jeep, and they are blathering on about an upcoming Eco Diesel engine option.  I thought that was something from Mercedes, but maybe it's this new Fiat derivitave instead?

bs

bshorey wrote:
widgetsltd wrote:

Interesting.  Pondering a new Jeep, and they are blathering on about an upcoming Eco Diesel engine option.  I thought that was something from Mercedes, but maybe it's this new Fiat derivitave instead?

bs

its the same 3.0 Fiat unit that they are fitting in the ram.  8 speed auto, and close to 29mpg highway.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

widgetsltd wrote:

or dodge went bankrupt, and Fiat wanted to use thier own diesel engines?

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

Now what I want as a tow rig is a Suburban on the HD chassis with a Duramax. Of course, GM won't make that deal, so I'm just going to have to Frankenstein it one of these days...

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Oh, BTW, the new 5.0l cummins V8

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1009527_10151611612077843_1836047662_o.jpg

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

NIssan Titan p;us a Cummins engine (yeah V8 300 hp!) is going to leave Dodge in the dust.!

Winner!

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

tbh, it's about figgin' time! Cummins makes the best diesel truck motor out there, yet they put it in the worst truck available! Almost every Dodge 2500 I've ever been in looked like.... almost like most of our Lemons cars! Everything in the cabin looks/feels cheap and breaks. The Nissan trucks are solid. I think it's a good match.

Mulry wrote:

Now what I want as a tow rig is a Suburban on the HD chassis with a Duramax. Of course, GM won't make that deal, so I'm just going to have to Frankenstein it one of these days...

Please get out of my head, Sir.  4X4 or bust.  Carry on....

Mulry wrote:

There's a guy on the Duramax forums who does the conversions... even into a GMT900 Sub it's not a direct swap. Not sure the particulars but I know a couple guys have attempted it and given up. Having a complete truck to do the swap from would do wonders.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

ronman wrote:
Mulry wrote:

There's a guy on the Duramax forums who does the conversions... even into a GMT900 Sub it's not a direct swap. Not sure the particulars but I know a couple guys have attempted it and given up. Having a complete truck to do the swap from would do wonders.

That would totally be the tits if it were easy to do or available.  I totally love my GMT800 Suburban 2500 6.0, but it gets awful mileage, even not towing, like 10-12, but not much worse when towing.   Mine spends 70% of it's life with a trailer hooked to it.  It does just fine with loads up to 7500 in tow, but when I towed 10k to NH from PA, it was really working hard up the hills.  Having a 6 speed auto or the torque of a diesel would have been nice, and the mileage of a diesel would be wonderful.  Filling the 37 gallon tank is painful.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

18 (edited by Sledge 2013-08-24 10:16 PM)

GM has a tiny duramax, designed specifically to fit in the same hole as any small block.  It was ready to go then the whole bankruptcy thing hit them hard and they shelved it.  Here's hoping it comes back with the new GMT chassis.

http://www.duramaxdieselspecs.com/duramax_4500.html

@Mulry

There is a shop that does 3/4 Ton Duramax Suburbans in Florida, Duraburb is their name if I remember correctly.

2011: Gator-o-Rama, North Dallas Hooptie, Garrapatas Peligrosas GP
2012: Yee-Haw it's Lemons Texas!, North Dallas Hooptie
2013: North Dallas Hooptie

19 (edited by Mulry 2013-08-26 09:16 AM)

My DD is a GMT900 1500 Burb, and it replaced a GMT800 Burb. As far as I'm concerned, it's the swiss army knife of trucks, if the swiss army knife was actually not useless for anything other than cutting your finger and very slowly removing screws while stripping the head. More like the truck version of the Platonic-ideal of the swiss army knife.

That said, from the little research that I've done, it seems like the regular Burb chassis just isn't HD enough for the Duramax and the increased towing loads. I don't know if that's true or not. But what I'd ideally do is take a GMT900 HD chassis with 4x4 Duramax drivetrain and drop the body of the Burb on it. Seems so freaking easy, but I know it wouldn't really be as easy as it seems.

It's an expensive proposition for what's basically just a couple-years-newer Excursion.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

I agree with you, except I never liked the look of the Excursion. Don't know why, just never did it for me.

Not trying to be snotty here, but I at least try not to pick tools based on how they look.  There are some good reasons to want a Duramax powered HD Suburban over a Powerstroke Excursion, but the looks don't seem like one of them.  Especially since they both are just enormous boxes with a snout and wheels.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

I think that's a fair point, except that this isn't just a tool for me. It would still be my DD. If it were just a tow rig, I wouldn't care as much. Hell, if it were just a tow rig, then I'd just pick up a crew cab Duramax or F250 and be done with it.

Mulry wrote:

That said, from the little research that I've done, it seems like the regular Burb chassis just isn't HD enough for the Duramax and the increased towing loads. I don't know if that's true or not. But what I'd ideally do is take a GMT900 HD chassis with 4x4 Duramax drive-train and drop the body of the Burb on it. Seems so freaking easy, but I know it wouldn't really be as easy as it seems.

That company, Duraburb, seems to deal specifically with 3/4 Ton suburban chassis where they remove the 6.0 Vortec and 6L90e and swap in the Duramax and Allison setup from the HD trucks.  From what I understand the 3/4 ton chassis is capable of 14,000 Lb towing capacity, given proper load leveling.  The 1/2 ton chassis, such as my Tahoe, should never be subjected to more than 10,500 lbs of towing, especially in hilly territory.  Of course all of these are subject to individual vehicles and their particular setup.  MY Tahoe, for example, is a 2007 model and therefore has the 4L65e 4-speed trans, which is the weak point on the drive train limiting me to a little over 8000lbs.

2011: Gator-o-Rama, North Dallas Hooptie, Garrapatas Peligrosas GP
2012: Yee-Haw it's Lemons Texas!, North Dallas Hooptie
2013: North Dallas Hooptie

The new Sierra 2500HD is rated to almost 18,000 pounds. Not that I'd ever need to tow that much weight with my rig, but it does seem to indicate that it would fly along the highway pulling the SIMCA with a little less strain than the gas engine.