Topic: Austin, Texas - Chuy's Parade, Saturday Nov 30, who's in?

OK, I have put in a Participant registration for this parade.  Just like Lemons, we have to be approved to participate.

We may be hosed on a few points

Each entry must be in good taste (whoops)
No outside logos or sponsors should be advertised on those vehicles (mentioned sponsorship stickers may be on some cars)
Parade Participants must keep pace with the line of march. All units must maintain forward motion during the parade. (Always questionable with Lemons)

As a family friendly parade, some slogans and such on some cars may need to be covered over.

If you are in the Austin area, or can travel for that AM, please get back with me ASAP if you would like to participate.  I would love to get as many cars in on this as we can, running or not.  For any cars, please post a pic of the vehicle that I can supply to the parade committee if asked.

In the application, I put that some cars may be driven, some on tow trailers, and there may be a float for other drivers to be on, just to allow for various possibilities.  Maybe any non-running cars can be towed and have some guys wrenching on them the whole parade just to give some additional LeMony flavor.

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

Re: Austin, Texas - Chuy's Parade, Saturday Nov 30, who's in?

Parade Rules and Regulations you must adhere to:

1. By completing an application to participate in the 2013 Children Giving to Children Parade you understand that not all applicants will be selected for participation.

2. Chuy’s reserves the right to accept or reject any parade unit application. Each entry shall be in good taste and shall, in the opinion of the Parade Committee, add beauty or entertainment. Participants must wear appropriate attire in theme with their entry, group, or corporation.  If group includes parents/chaperones/sponsors, these individuals must wear coordinating attire or will be asked to leave the Parade route.  If additional members are unable to wear matching attire, they must wait at the Parade staging or destaging areas for their group.

3. Any additions or changes made to parade units after acceptance must be approved by the Parade Committee. Parade units with changes that have not been approved will not be allowed on the parade route.

4. Unit leaders accept responsibility for the behavior of their members

5. No vehicles are allowed on the parade route with participating units unless approved by the Parade Committee, and no outside logos or sponsors should be advertised on those vehicles, without the approval of the Parade Committee.

6. Parade participants are not allowed to distribute candy, pamphlets or other materials along the parade route.  Participants found tossing materials to spectators will be removed from the parade route and are subjects to the laws of the City of Austin.  This is incredibly important to the safety of all spectators – because of the child focused nature of the event and the moving entries, this ensures that no young spectators will be injured and will only enter the streets during the official toy giving time.

7. Parade Participants must keep pace with the line of march. All units must maintain forward motion during the parade. No counter marching or other maneuver contrary to the forward progress of the parade is allowed. Set spacing must be maintained at all times.  In addition, participants are asked not to encourage spectators to come into the street for toy giving during the procession.  Parade volunteers will do this at the official time, and anything other than that time is confusing and opens the possibility of injury to children.   

8. Parade units are NOT to stop in the television zone unless otherwise directed. Keep a forward motion at all times.

9. The Parade Staff reserves the right to remove any unit from the line of march for any reason or cause without advance notice.

10. Parade units will follow instructions from Parade Staff and Volunteers.

11. Use of any political sign, social or political material, or improper use of the American flag is not permitted. “Proper” use of the flag is based upon U.S. flag policy set forth in the U.S. Code.

12. Dress for all participants must be professional in nature – groups should dress according to the theme of their entry, in corporate/organizational uniforms or with a holiday theme.  Anyone walking with the group must be attired accordingly.  In addition, THERE SHOULD BE NO ONE DRESSED AS SANTA IN ANY GROUP.  There is one traditional Santa in the parade (on the Chuy’s float) and one Blue Santa (as part of the Operation Blue Santa group).  Additional Santas are confusing and upsetting to young children, so anyone dressed as Santa on Parade morning will be asked to change attire or be removed from the procession.

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

lotta rules.  No explanation.

Rally Baby 87 Audi 4KQ, Audi 90 Quattro Coupe, 1975 Mercedes R107, 87 E30s, E36s, the Whorenet, Rocco...
J. Phil: "Audis Never Win".  He might be right.But!, the K Dominates 2013 NJ and NH (not, but...). 
Stafford 2011 podium, 2nd NJMP 2013, Summit Point 2012 "WV ASSimilation award"
NJMP 2012 Organizer's Choice - R107, 2013 Monticello IOE Whorenet ! Organizers, CMP fall 2013 w/NSF

The only thing I'm taking away from the above is that I suddenly have an overpowering urge to do a flash mob of Santa Clauses, like 100 or more, right through this mysterious event...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Mike C. wrote:

lotta rules.  No explanation.

Well, if you were in the Austin, Tx area, you'd be familiar with the event, but here's a link:

http://www.chuysparade.com/

Basically, it's the city's annual Christmas parade, sponsored primarily by a great local TexMex restaurant chain (slowly spreading to other regions) called Chuy's.  This is held the Saturday after Thanksgiving, and they collect toys for the less fortunate families.  Many local schools and organizations participate in the parade, including the Shriners in their little one person cars, various classic cars, and of course the Corvette club.

We have been taking our two kids each year since they were born, the oldest is 19 now, and he still enjoys taking toys downtown to donate.

Hmm. I've always said the pickup bed of the 944 would make it a good parade car.

Type44 wrote:

The only thing I'm taking away from the above is that I suddenly have an overpowering urge to do a flash mob of Santa Clauses, like 100 or more, right through this mysterious event...

You, sir, ought to stick around for Santa Rampage. Thousands of Santas descend upon 6th Street. Mwahahaha.

We would be down for the parade.  I don't know if our car will pass inspection tho.  Not sure how they feel about defunct bakery sponsor logos or fake/pun car companies.  (Jugs from Jegs, Monte Craplo/Carlo, etc...)
http://sphotos-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/545213_641998575819153_586512243_n.jpg
So pending approval we will be there.

Or if poop jokes and bread are too much we could drive the other race car but it has other car product logos and is much louder. Also not a lemon but would be fun to parade in downtown in it tho.
http://sphotos-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/421755_376124522406561_906308489_n.jpg

Teamgravy Racing > join us please @ http://www.facebook.com/Teamgravy

IOE winner & 2nd place Class C - North Dallas Hooptie 2013
2nd place Class C - Gator-o-Rama 2013

Great news, I got word today from the parade director and they want to have us in the parade!  I'm supposed to talk with her this Thursday on the details.

So, who all can get a racecar to downtown Austin for the parade (Nov 30)?  Post a pic here so I can forward if needed, let me know if the car can make it under its own power at slow speed through the parade route downtown.  If you want to have the car on a flatbed, that can work too, but I'll need to know that in advance.

What drivers can we get down there?  Full race gear, minus neck restraint (unless you're driving the race car, then you can wear neck restraint if you want to).

Remember, this is a family/kid friendly parade, so if your car has a theme or slogans (which can't be covered over) that don't fit this, it may not be a good fit for this event.

The parade is limited on available space, so I'll need to get a good count by this Wednesday, Oct. 16.  I'm also checking into a few local print shops to see what it will take to get a banner printed up, so we look all official and everything.

I would say we are in 100% but I have a few issues to contend with.  The car is leaking oil pretty bad after the 24 hour race and not sure it will be fixed in time.  I may be able to get a flat bed trailer if it's no-op at the time of the parade but you mentioned needing to know if it's being towed or driven. 

What are our options here?  Can we put down one tow'ed and change it to driving if possible?

I'm assuming we can add a seat for my daughter to ride in parade???
-Daryl

If it's a concern that the car might break down during the parade, then better to have it trailered. I think we'd want to have at least 2-3 cars under their own power though for this to work.

Adding a seat shouldn't be an issue, as far as I know just people generically hanging off the car might be OK too, but I will confirm that.

If I can't get three cars to commit by this Wednesday, we may have to put this off for this year.

jimbo_se-r wrote:

If it's a concern that the car might break down during the parade, then better to have it trailered. I think we'd want to have at least 2-3 cars under their own power though for this to work.

Adding a seat shouldn't be an issue, as far as I know just people generically hanging off the car might be OK too, but I will confirm that.

If I can't get three cars to commit by this Wednesday, we may have to put this off for this year.

Not really a question of breaking down, just not running IE, engine out for rebuild. 

I know lots of Austin area racers, just not Lemons racers.  So if we need more race cars I can ask around.

hotdogwater wrote:

I know lots of Austin area racers, just not Lemons racers.  So if we need more race cars I can ask around.

As long as they look LeMony.  smile

My car still doesn't run yet. sad

OK, I've heard from three folks with cars in the area, none are currently running, only one seemed likely to be running by the time of the parade.  I've sent out a few more forum emails to anyone I could track down in the area, I'll see what emails show up by tonight.

All right, closing this out for this year since nothing around here is drivable.  Next year may not be any better, as the MSR race is only 3 weekends before the parade, any any commitments early may not be valid after the race.  Won't stop me from trying again next year, though.  wink

Maintaining parade speed in a loud (no sound deadening), manual transmission Lemons car sounds like a beating!  Signed, Dave the no-fun spoilsport.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas