Topic: Who has received Cease and Desist letters for their theme?

The thread about "The Homer" visiting Fox studios and the story behind it brought this question to mind.

How many teams have received "Cease and Desist" letters from lawyers regarding their car/team theme?  What were those themes?

I would consider it a badge of honor to receive one.

2012 North Dallas Hooptie Judge's Choice Winners
If life gives you Lemons, install racing brakes!
https://www.facebook.com/JoBoRacing

Re: Who has received Cease and Desist letters for their theme?

Seems like POS Racing got one for their "Spin-N-Out" (In-N-Out) theme.  I'd be surprised if the guys with the JewPS car didn't get one from the boys in the brown trucks.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

It's the only thing to give us pause to re-theme the boat as the Sea Org of Scientology.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

4 (edited by Team Sensory Assault 2013-08-30 11:24 AM)

Ive gotten some pretty good letters from the Code Enforcement Division of the Alvin Police Department.

Do they count?  hmm

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

The Scientologists won't bother with a cease-and-desist letter. They'll go right to massive lawsuits.

Cease and Desist would be a great recurring theme.
Pick a major corporation to parody for each race and try and attract enough publicity to receive a Cease and Desist order.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

I've been running the Peanuts theme for 4 years now.......  I don't think they really care, or we are much less important than we all tend to believe.

It Ain't My Fault

I expected one for our Apple iCrap theme, but they have been strangely silent.

crushcrushscramtrophytrophyjudgetrophyjudgetrophytrophytrophy....
The legacy continues.

I have been expecting a "Cease and Desist" letter from Mazda begging us to stop using their forgettable '93 626 to represent a 2014 Mini Cooper 4 door saloon.

You just can't hide "ugly" with some crazy "wallpaper" patterned vinyl.

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/gallery/spyshots-2014-mini-cooper-5-door-hatch_3.jpg

2012 North Dallas Hooptie Judge's Choice Winners
If life gives you Lemons, install racing brakes!
https://www.facebook.com/JoBoRacing

We've been using Elmo for years and have yet to get a letter.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

11 (edited by jimthefirst 2013-08-30 02:29 PM)

chaase wrote:

We've been using Elmo for years and have yet to get a letter.

These days you're just as likely to get a summons as a C&D if someone thinks you're Elmo.

You could also argue that anything to do with Lemons is parody, so you'd be covered by "Fair Use".

-jt
Unionized Physicist
Tetanus Racing
1986 Porsche 944, #986

ArthurDented wrote:

I expected one for our Apple iCrap theme, but they have been strangely silent.

Obviously you aren't attracting enough attention for their lawyers to notice.  All it takes is a whiff, and they're on your trail.  You wants I should forward some pictures?

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

IANAL, but I'd think that pretty much every Lemons team's use of IP so far qualifies as fair use under the parody clause.  Especially for obviously-differently-spelled terms like "Spin-n-Out".  None of the valid trademark complaints like "causes confusion in the marketplace" or "misleads consumers" would apply.  Nevertheless, legal divisions often feel the need to reflexively threaten anything marginally similar, because the nature of trademark law is "defend it or lose it."

Judge Phil wrote:

The Scientologists won't bother with a cease-and-desist letter. They'll go right to massive lawsuits.

Nah, they'll just break in to your house and steal your car.  Actually it seems like they've been a little less lawsuit-happy recently; I think they got enough court slapdowns or bad PR or something to make them simmer down.

15x+ Loser, thinks he's a Real Racer(tm)
Rotaries are great, everyone should try them.

Zazzle refused to print Our 'Hella Shitty Racing' t-shirts & stickers citing copyright infringement even though the artwork was original and considered parody. I've worked at companies with lawyers on user-generated content so I know how the DMCA works, but apparently they didn't. No longer a Zazzle customer.

http://www.murileemartin.com/LeMonsTeam … hirts.html

Hella Shitty Racing Goin' for Broken '10, Arse-Sweat '10, Arse-Freeze '10, Sears Pointless '11, Skankaway '11, Arse-Freeze '11, Arse-Sweat '12, Sears Pointless '13, Arse-Sweat '13, Northworst '13, Vodden '13, Pointless '14, Button Turrible '14, Arse-Freeze 2014,  Sears Pointless 2015, Arse Sweat 2015

15 (edited by ppressle 2013-08-30 06:00 PM)

I keep waiting.  No love yet.

Better yet would be a visit at THEIR factory. :>

16 (edited by Team BenzGay 2013-09-02 08:27 PM)

Letters, no.  Have heard a few other comments.  Friday before a Chump race at College Station a team mate was asked to remove the "Gay" word from our car,  as some that Friday found it offensive.  There was some sort of a track day event finishing up...

"You can’t make a pig into a race car, but you can make a very fast pig."

Nothing IP-wise. I ought to send pics of the Bunnywagen to Fisher-Price, though. Puffalumps rule!

I had a "move your car or we tow it" from my landlord, though. Apparently unlicensed, dirt-coated cars give themselves away as inoperable, and the city doesn't like inoperable vehicles in view. Boooooooo.

Team BenzGay wrote:

Letters, no.  Have heard a few other comments.  Friday before a Chump race at College Station a team mate was asked to remove the "Gay" word from our car,  as some that Friday found it offensive.  There was some sort of a track day event finishing up...

Insert "aggy don't unnerstand pun" joke here. I wondered if that was the same Benz.

We wrote to Compuware a while ago suggesting that they sponsor us, knowing that that could end up getting us "the letter". So far no letter and no bag of money.

Dan Binks and whoever they had driving the Corvette Racing car that day at Laguna Seca (Tony something?) autographed our Tinyvette post card. Dan knew of our car. So far, no letters and no bags of money.

CrazyMike has just contacted the Scrubbing Bubbles people and it sound like they like what he is doing, but I'll let Mike tell his story.

I asked permission from Flying Lizards before mocking their cars.
They have our picture on their web site.

I dropped a picture of the car in it's current condition at their Sonoma shop a week ago.
After that, they won the race in Baltimore...just sayin'.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

The Summer's Eve Racing BMW didn't draw any attention ...

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

I had one old guy give me a REALLY dirty look, pointed to the photoshop of Uncle Lee's face on Stalin's body and asked: "What does Lee Iacocca have to do with communism?"

I was seriously expecting him to throw down with me.  He was THAT pissed.

The Pentastar whisperer

Faster Farms contacted Foster Ffarms and got a box of schwag.  That might be where the clinging wing chickens came from.
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18ibbp13ldjxrjpg/ku-medium.jpg

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.