Topic: F-ING Renault Fromage1 Racing

Friends of the F-ING Renault Fromage1 Racing team,

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz301/pafdesign/ResizeofIMG_0166.jpg
The Renault ready to leave Portland!

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz301/pafdesign/ResizeofIMGP3051.jpg
The Renault in the pits of Thunderhill!

Well the results are in and we are all back in one piece, well except for the Renault motor, minor detail. It was a blast for all. 

Mitch drove the first two hour stint, somehow he was given a undeserved Black Flag penalty for a pass under the Yellow Flag, which was next to impossible as the Renault was only capable of passing about three cars out of the 150+, luckily we were able to use our get-out-of-jail-free-card we received by surrendering our front license plate to the judges so they could rig up a camera mount on the tech inspection area. Thus we were able to avoid having to write “The French shall not pass under Yellow” a hundred times on the car. We also had a minor front brake problem when he came in that we fixed in about a half hour.

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz301/pafdesign/Mitch.jpg
Mitch tearing it up through turn 13.

Then Brandon jumped in for his two hours of fun. The Renault was faster than any other car through the turns, but unfortunately as in most race tracks there are long straight sections, where we would be left in the dust. So we all learned how to suck it up and stay out of trouble as we were passed in the straights, on both sides in most cases!

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz301/pafdesign/Brandon.jpg
Brandon holding off the BMWs through turn 4.

Jim jumped in next for the time of his life and did a short 45 minute stint as he was feeling his concentration waning. Luckily for me he surprised us when he came in, as I was turning into a nervous Nelly psyching myself out, organizing my tool box to stay focused on something else.

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz301/pafdesign/Jim.jpg
Jim nailing a clean line down turn five.

So I jumped in and hit the track.  As I drove down pit lane I noticed we were running very hot in the coolant department. No big deal at the time I thought. So I did the last 45 minutes to close out the day, but during the last three laps things started to go from fun to serious as puffs of smoke became visible from the exhaust to the team in the pits, I was unaware of this until the cloud of doom poured out the rear to fill my mirror on the last lap of the day.

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz301/pafdesign/Phil.jpg
Phil knowing the end is near through 13!

We had blown the head gasket and showered the engine compartment with oil, water, guck and steam.  After some fellow racers pushed me back to our pits we opened the hood to survey the damage. Not good.

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz301/pafdesign/ResizeofIMGP3067.jpg
This says it all.

Our neighbors saw that we were packing up and asked what was wrong, after finding out Jay from Caffeine Racing produced a magic bottle of Nanosphere Block and Head Sealer. Anything was worth a try to avoid having to go home a day early with our tails between our legs, so we poured it in and IT WORKED! No smoke, no water or oil puking from every crevice. You have to love Nano technology!

The next morning I hit the track and did another 45 minutes before, well, you can guess where this is going, and it involves smoke, oil, water and very bad noises! We pulled in and were done. You have no idea how slow time passes at a race track when you are not racing. Day one went by in a flash, day two was an eternity! Well during the eternity we tried to resurrect the car to go out for the last two laps to take the checked flag to avoid a DNF. We did not know when they were going to call the race so I went out at 4:15 hoping I could make it to 4:30.

What I/we learned was that a now 2 cylinder engine puking a variety of fluids back into itself is not a very fast race car. Did I mention there were hills at this race track, well yes there are thank you very much, and there is nothing like going up these at 10 MPH billowing smoke with a dying engine with 140 cars passing you at 80 MPH cursing your very existence.  The first lap was a hilarious joke for all the race attendees and the second and the Renault’s last lap I was under a Black Flag to “GET THE HELL OFF THE TRACK YOU SLOW IDIOT”! In the end we went out a lap too early so we didn’t get to take the Checkered Flag but we did have the best time of our lives. And the Renault engine got to die an honorable death at the track!

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz301/pafdesign/ResizeofIMGP3060.jpg
The life blood runs black….

I’ve realized I’ve neglected to mention our Hotel room experience that capped off the weekend, mental note: when in Willows avoid the Safari Hotel at all costs. When we arrived, we new we were in for an interesting stay.  Mitch and Jim opened their door to the nasal punch in the face of a two day bong party which just wouldn’t evacuate the room, they were always hungry for Doritos for some reason. Brandon and I had the DIY toilet repair duty along with the lack of a working heater in the sub 30 degree nights. Oh and did you want towels with the room, yeah about that we have these 1’x2’ Saltine texture towels that you had to get from the front desk, not a standard item on their service menu I guess, that and soap. Ah the joys of the racing life.

We can’t wait for next season to start. Now we just have to find another motor with twice the horsepower to put those BMWs in their place!

Re: F-ING Renault Fromage1 Racing

And to think we dinged you guys with 5 laps...

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:

And to think we dinged you guys with 5 laps...

You dinged a Renault Alliance with penalty laps??? 

It is an awesome looking car!!!

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Excellent photos!

Uberbird!

I tried Blue Devil on our blown head gasket.  It also appeared to work at first as our engine temp stabilized. 

Our oil was clean Saturday night before the treatment.

So I threw in a new set of plugs Sunday and sent the car out.

Over the radio I get, it doesn't have good power and the temp is going up.

We let it sit all day and I went out to take the checker like you guys did on about 4 1/2 of 6 cylinders.  So the car was still getting around and pacing the Smooth Criminal Miata.

Coming in on the Checker the temp just kept going up while the 70ish cars in front of me shock hands with Jay, Jonny & Phil.

After the race came repair time.  Our oil looks like a milk shake now.  I pulled the head and obviously the gasket was blown.  Then there's the other stuff: sealer crap appeared to bond to some valves, the combustion chamber and even the piston a bit.

Then I pulled the oil pan, there was congealed nasty stuff.  I think that was sealer that got past the rings.  Yep, the stuff made a huge mess. 

I should have just swapped the gasket Saturday night, it might have sealed.

Good luck with the Renault.

Then

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Jonny, Jay said he would give us those five laps back if we weren't sand bagging,  where does that put us in the standings now?

Oh yeah we need to get a residual value for an exploded 1984 Renault Alliance so we can race again.

Anyone out there know if there is a Hayabusa engine swap kit for one of these?

You guys were awesome pit neighbors. Put up with us all weekend. Too bad you guys didn't get more laps in but not much you can do when your Renault blows a head gasket in Willows. You guys were true die hards though hanging out til the end then even getting the car back on track the last couple of laps big_smile

Why do teams keep saying "our car was too slow to pass anybody" when claiming they got wrongly zapped for a pass-under-yellow penalty? The slowest car out there can pass all the other cars when they've slowed down for the yellow!

MurileeMartin wrote:

Why do teams keep saying "our car was too slow to pass anybody" when claiming they got wrongly zapped for a pass-under-yellow penalty? The slowest car out there can pass all the other cars when they've slowed down for the yellow!

Nobody slowed for the yellows!

MurileeMartin wrote:

I was not in attendance at this race, but your cohort Mr. Lieberman has made great pains in another thread to state that a yellow flag doesn't mean you have to slow down. I was actually surprised to read what he said.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

LTDScott wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

I was not in attendance at this race, but your cohort Mr. Lieberman has made great pains in another thread to state that a yellow flag doesn't mean you have to slow down. I was actually surprised to read what he said.

whoa, whoa, whoa -- of course it means slow down.

I said yellow means don't pass the car in front of you.

since odds are the car in front of you is a Renault with a bad head gasket (or no head gasket), you will be slowing down.

Again, yellow means don't pass.

Also, Scott -- we missed you.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

To be clear, what has been said by our beloved judges repeatedly is "Yellow does not mean SLAM on the brakes".  Brake gently, yes.  Brake hard and create a pile-up behind you, no.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

I enjoyed watching your car, it looked great even if it wasn't that fast.  I was sad to see it go by the stands at 30mph right before the end, I was hoping you'd make it to the checkered.

Very nice looking car!

Loren wrote:

To be clear, what has been said by our beloved judges repeatedly is "Yellow does not mean SLAM on the brakes".  Brake gently, yes.  Brake hard and create a pile-up behind you, no.

South Spring '09 was TERRIBLE when it came to that! How many pileups did I see because the car in front of a fast-moving convoy saw a yellow (with no visible hazard in front) and panic-braked?!?
It was much better in the fall, after Jay stressed NOT TO do that. Shoulda been common sense...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Judge Jonny wrote:

since odds are the car in front of you is a Renault with a bad head gasket (or no head gasket), you will be slowing down.

Okay, I'm glad you clarified there. I will always back off the throttle under yellow, but not stand on the brakes (which is the point you were trying to make, but your choice of wording was a bit confusing).

I missed you guys too. Really wish I could have made it up there. I'll be back next year. Will probably head up to Infineon, at minimum a spectator (and Concours entrant), or possibly as a driver for another team.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

LTDScott wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

Okay, I'm glad you clarified there. I will always back off the throttle under yellow, but not stand on the brakes (which is the point you were trying to make, but your choice of wording was a bit confusing).

I missed you guys too. Really wish I could have made it up there. I'll be back next year. Will probably head up to Infineon, at minimum a spectator (and Concours entrant), or possibly as a driver for another team.

I might drive at Infineon, too.

A new 2010 penalty might be let a Judge take your car out for 30 very slow minutes.

It's worth noting that apparently timing belts for the Alliance GTA 2.0L engine, long listed as NLA, are once again available.

Also, saw an old codger in a shockingly tidy beige Encore at the grocery store today.

I love these cars.  Hope you get a few more races out of yours.

cool car and great guys....bummer it had issues......but really how many Lemons cars go the whole time without issues......2-3?

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:

cool car and great guys....bummer it had issues......but really how many Lemons cars go the whole time without issues......2-3?

I think every Lemons car has issues, IMHO it's how you deal with them that's important. Our alternator gave out on Saturday so we had to swap batteries every hour and a half or so from then on. I'm real proud that our team managed to do a 3 1/2 minute pit stop with 20 gallons of fuel, a driver change and a new battery! IMHO that's what Lemons racing is all about, doing your best to fight through adversity...

Well I pulled the head off the little 1.4l to see what I could find. First thing I noticed was that all the head bolts were torqued to about, mmmhh, say 5 ft-lbs! Might have had something to do with the issue! Next time we pull the stupid valve cover off and check this!

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz301/pafdesign/FING-headgasket.jpg
Well there's our problem!

Spent the next two hours scraping the build up from between the floating cylinder sleeves and the block with a ground down saws-all blade.  The wrist and the back now require Advil or beer.

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz301/pafdesign/FING-block.jpg
I don't know if it was the Nanotechnology, but the crap blocking the water jacket was as hard as hell.

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz301/pafdesign/FING-head.jpg
Now we just have to deck the head to something close to flat and bolt her back together and she will race again.

VIVA FRANCE!!!!!

BOBNOVA: if you thought the 30 MPH down the front straight was funny the 10 MPH up the back hill was HILARIOUS!

Judge Jonny wrote:

I might drive at Infineon, too.

A new 2010 penalty might be let a Judge take your car out for 30 very slow minutes.

Now that's a funny penalty.  I guess the worst of it will be waiting for you to put on your driver's gear.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

Well at least you guys found that problem and it's a relatively easy fix (gasket versus a cracked head or something). Hope to see you guys at the next event.

Looking at the gasket i'm pretty impressed it was moving at all, that's about the most shot gasket i've ever seen.
Glad the head and block survived, last time i saw something like that there was a 1/8" deep channel burnt into the deck of the block.

Bobnova wrote:

Looking at the gasket i'm pretty impressed it was moving at all, that's about the most shot gasket i've ever seen.
Glad the head and block survived, last time i saw something like that there was a 1/8" deep channel burnt into the deck of the block.

Nah 2.3L Fords will run with gaskets like that all month long lemme tell yea from experience they just feel a little shakey. big_smile