Topic: 2014 Race schedule

When will the 2004 race schedule be announced?

Re: 2014 Race schedule

I assume you mean '2014', and the answer is somewhere late in the year.  And it's usually in a state of flux early into the year with a couple more changes during the year.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

If you're trying to plan, you can assume the schedule will look roughly similar to this years. roughly. Take a look at the events section and compare the schedules from years past to this year and you'll see some similarities. That will let you start to plan what races will be near you around what time frames.

Of course it could all completely change next year. Never know.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Normally in the first 2 weeks of November.  If you are building your car just expect your first race will be in the begining of april so you stop procrastinating, because I've never heard a team that was upset about having to much time to build the car for their first race.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Hopefully there will be more events in the midwest next year.

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

mhrir wrote:

Hopefully there will be more events in the midwest next year.

Yes please.  Here is the time that I plea, first off, for a true 24 hour race in the midwest, and second, can we go back to Nelson's yet?  Please!!!!!!!!  But regardless, can we please, please, please have a 24 hour again?  Nelson's in 09 was the last one around me at all, and I am jonesing bad to do another one of those fool things.

Also, we could run a 14 at Putnam.  Only problem is you can't camp.  Then there is always the Mod-Ohio plea, but Dan from Focke-ewe will take up that cry much better than me.  And is there any way we could run Road America a little earlier?  So that perhaps snow tires will not be needed?

But that's it.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Road America I think is hard unless its another weekday race.  It sounds like our choices are snow tires because it is early in the years or snow tires because its late.  A true 24 would be great though.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Cough, cough,VIR, cough

It Ain't My Fault

Dave wrote:

Cough, cough,VIR, cough

True 24 at VIR.  Worth the drive, no question.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

I also plead for more Midwest races.  Somewhere in Ohio would be splendiferous; all them Midwest races are 5-8 hours from here.

Ex-USAF civilian, still a wench

Mid Ohio would be amazing

Hopefully more SE races too.  Especially close to Atlanta.  Road Atlanta would be great - and it is not a daunting track as it may appear.

Mike
Hong Norrth
#39 TRON Gray/Orange MX-3, aka "Sumbich"

I did Road Atlanta with Brand C racing last December.  I'd never seen the track before, raced it virtually, or even looked at a track map.

Boy, was it fun.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Nelson Ledges was my first Lemons race and I absolutely would love to go back.  But, at that race they clocked cars going 130 mph.  I think they were uncomfortable with only tire walls and speeds like that.  There are multiple videos of cars just flying over those tire walls and they weren't going 130mph.  So I think we're unlikely to see Lemons back at Nelson without track upgrades which I think we all know isn't going to happen there.

Mid-Ohio they had on the schedule and I was going to build another car for it but it got cancelled due to the combination of track fees and strict car limits.  I think Mid-Ohio told Lemons that they wouldn't be able to have more than 50 cars on track and the track rental was $50k not counting safety crew, etc which meant there was no way they could do it and cover their costs.  Not without making our team fees just completely astronomical.

I would love to see another Ohio race, and the distance to the races is why I've just stayed as an arrive-and-drive since 2010.  It's hard enough to get everything together and a car prepped much less adding an 8-10 hour tow on top of that.  Ugh.

That said, whatever they schedule I'll enjoy!  The A&D thing is great, from a "just enjoy the racing and party" perspective.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

dculberson wrote:

That said, whatever they schedule I'll enjoy!  The A&D thing is great, from a "just enjoy the racing and party" perspective.

A not insignificant part of me wishes I could race your style.  Is cheaper, less work, and at least as much fun, once you find a few high quality teams you can race with on a regular basis.   I'm now in waaaaay too deep for that, though.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Sonic wrote:
dculberson wrote:

A not insignificant part of me wishes I could race your style.  Is cheaper, less work, and at least as much fun, once you find a few high quality teams you can race with on a regular basis.   I'm now in waaaaay too deep for that, though.

Oh Yes, Yes you are!

Jeff
Three Pedal Mafia
Ombudsman - Coalition of Alternate Breakfast Meats

For the Midwest I think the formula is simple.
Give us four races and try to keep at least three of them out of the snowy season

http://i40.tinypic.com/28rikn8.jpg

I can handle one race with a chance of snow showers but not 2 out of three.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Sonic wrote:
dculberson wrote:

But if everyone took the cheap, easy, fun way out, then there would be no cars for us to drive!  Since someone's gotta be the scapegoat, might as well be you, right? ;-)

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria

19 (edited by therood 2013-09-13 12:27 PM)

Things that will probably be on the schedule:

Carolina Motorsports Park -  March-ish
Sears Point/Sonoma/Whateverit'scalled - March-ish
Gingerman - April
High Plains - Late May/Early June
Summit Point - June
Somewhere in the PNW (probably The Ridge) - June/July
Arse-Sweat (A California track) - June/July
NHMS - Late October
Arse-Freeze (A different CA track) - December

Lemons is not going back to Nelson Ledges. Unless Mid-Ohio changes the maximum car counts or track rental, Lemons is not going there.

Chump ran Putnam Park in 2010. We considered shaking down the Nixon-scort for that race, but we ultimately didn't because it's really in BFE. Paddock space looks pretty scarce, too, although they appear to have made some upgrades.

I think the Midwest schedule will probably be the same three tracks next year, but they may juggle the order and dates of the races. It's possible they'll have two Autobahn dates, but that didn't really play well when they did it in 2012 and I wouldn't expect it next year.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

dculberson wrote:

Nelson Ledges was my first Lemons race and I absolutely would love to go back.  But, at that race they clocked cars going 130 mph.  I think they were uncomfortable with only tire walls and speeds like that.  There are multiple videos of cars just flying over those tire walls and they weren't going 130mph.  So I think we're unlikely to see Lemons back at Nelson without track upgrades which I think we all know isn't going to happen there.

Mid-Ohio they had on the schedule and I was going to build another car for it but it got cancelled due to the combination of track fees and strict car limits.  I think Mid-Ohio told Lemons that they wouldn't be able to have more than 50 cars on track and the track rental was $50k not counting safety crew, etc which meant there was no way they could do it and cover their costs.  Not without making our team fees just completely astronomical.

I would love to see another Ohio race, and the distance to the races is why I've just stayed as an arrive-and-drive since 2010.  It's hard enough to get everything together and a car prepped much less adding an 8-10 hour tow on top of that.  Ugh.

I know of one team that races both series, and they ran NL with brand C this year.  His comment after the race was that they will not be going back until the place is repaved.  He claimed the racing surface was simply put, "terrible".

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Way back at the '09 Lemons race at Nelson, I loaned one of the flagging stations my generator and battery charger so they could keep the caution lights lit.  The track custodian came and hung out with us and we were having a good time until we got onto the subject of the track and he said it was owned by "a bunch of cheap Jews from Cleveland," and that they didn't want to spend any money on it.  I made my excuses and got out of the conversation shortly after that.

Still had a blast and wish they would upgrade it a little.  Strategically placed proper barriers and a repave would go a long way.

22 (edited by USAF wench 2013-09-13 04:11 PM)

3pe wrote:

Mid Ohio would be amazing

Deleted my original comment, already covered.

I'm probably (close to a sure thing) going to be prematurely retired next year, so going to races or being on a crew won't be as much of a problem.  Except maybe that the first and last races here make it awkward for my RV's water supply. 

I seriously want to partake of the scene!

Ex-USAF civilian, still a wench

From my conversations with the rumor mill, VIR won't happen. Not going to get into the rumormongering about why. It's not for lack of Jay trying is all I'll say. But they won't give us a date.

I suspect we will have at least 2 Texas races next year, one in the spring and one in the fall. I'd bet on the spring race being earlier than it was this year. I think there will be a surprise or two on the schedule, because there usually seems to be.

With regard to Putnam Park, I recall a conversation with Jay (maybe at the 5 year party?) and Jeff. They looked at Putnam for the '10 season, but there were substantial problems with the way that we do races. The paddock is a problem, plus they don't allow any overnight parking or camping owing to some operating agreement with the county. So the logistics just wouldn't work out there. The fact that Chump ran one race there a few years back and hasn't returned there indicates that it's not a very good opportunity for whatever reason.

I for one would love to see us race at the new track outside of New Orleans, but the historical car count at NPR causes real problems for HQ, and no matter which way you slice it, that's a long haul for pretty much all of the Texas teams (yeah, I know, other teams have long hauls to races. I'm not making a moral equivalency argument here, just a historical observation).  But that new track looks really interesting. Although it's probably as flat as a ________ (this is a complete your metaphor adventure).

FWIW, this is the time of the year when all motorsports schedules are really in serious flux. The big gigs (NASCAR, F1, Indy) get the first preference, then stuff like ALMS/GranAm/UnitedSportsCar and WSC, then you've got the melange of PCA and BMWCCA and SVRA and other track rental stuff. We're usually lumped in with those latter guys, which is why we don't always get the dates we'd prefer.

As far as I'm concerned, we should be the support race for the road course race they're talking about for Indy in early May, but I'm having a hard time getting anybody at IMS to take me up on that. smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

FWIW, this is the time of the year when all motorsports schedules are really in serious flux. The big gigs (NASCAR, F1, Indy) get the first preference, then stuff like ALMS/GranAm/UnitedSportsCar and WSC, then you've got the melange of PCA and BMWCCA and SVRA and other track rental stuff. We're usually lumped in with those latter guys, which is why we don't always get the dates we'd prefer.

What Lemons needs is a properly executed reality TV show done in a documentary fashion.  Think Long Way Round/Down but on a much larger scale.  With a strong media presence we would probably have far more leverage for track dates...

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

25 (edited by Mr. Wednesday 2013-09-14 02:52 PM)

Mulry wrote:

I suspect we will have at least 2 Texas races next year, one in the spring and one in the fall. I'd bet on the spring race being earlier than it was this year.

Historically, there's always a late-September race at MSR-H.
Before this year, there was also a February race, at MSR-H and then at TWS.  Maybe the falling out with TWS contributed to no February race this year.
The last few years, there's been a later-spring race at ECR, but the exact date has bounced around a little.

I for one would love to see us race at the new track outside of New Orleans, but the historical car count at NPR causes real problems for HQ, and no matter which way you slice it, that's a long haul for pretty much all of the Texas teams (yeah, I know, other teams have long hauls to races. I'm not making a moral equivalency argument here, just a historical observation).  But that new track looks really interesting. Although it's probably as flat as a ________ (this is a complete your metaphor adventure).

It is dead flat.  I've run the 1.8 configuration in the Mustang back when it made less than 100 HP, and the esses were a ton of fun, though the sequence of turns leading onto the front straight was murder on my arms (540 degrees of continuous lower-speed turning).  I've heard the longer configuration is good too.  And even partially finished, the facilities looked great.  But as you note, Lemons has had trouble drawing cars to New Orleans, and brand C has seen the same thing: their NOLA race got fewer than 20 cars, and another attempt was canceled for lack of interest.

Then again... that was back when there were something like eight races in Texas between the two series.  Now that both have cut the schedule back, there might be more teams willing to do a tow to New Orleans.

#(1)75 (was #74) Dirt Cheap Racing (driver/wrench/cool suit cooler fabricator/accountant/substitute captain) - '88 Mustang turbo-4, in garish stickers over spray chrome!
2011 - Garrapatas (11th / 3rd in B), Heaps in the Heart of Texas (19th / 3rd in B)
2012 and 2013 - Lemons didn't fit into our schedule
2014 - Heaps in the Heart of Texas