Topic: RUSH, A Ron Howard Film

I had an opportunity to see Rush last night.  In short, it is a very enjoyable film that any motor racing enthusiast should see. 

I would classify the movie as a "period piece."  A very large element of the film is focused on capturing the period from 1970 to 1976.  This flashback to the 70's was very entertaining.  As fascinating as it was to revisit the seventies culturally, it was equally alarming to see how far we have come in motor sports safety.  From a marshal ensuring that the drivers were not sitting too tall in the car by lining up a "broomstick" from the windscreen to the roll bar as the cars sat on the starting grid, to photographers laying in the grass along side the track, the sense of danger is palpable. 

And the cars.  An extremely well preserved collection of vintage F1 cars really makes this film feel real.  Vintage BRM's Ferrari's, McLarens and even a 6-wheeled Tyrrell P-34.  Lot's of close ups of suspension components, cockpits and enormous rear tires.

You know a film has been done right when despite knowing how the story ends you continue to be captivated.  Now, don't expect that you are going to see documentary level of detail like "Senna."  This is a Hollywood movie for a very broad audience.  That said, the cars are stunning and the Fast & Furious effects are kept to a minimum.

See the official trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_u3FODrenM

10x loser (Arse-Freeze '11 - Vodden '15) 1x WINNER! Arse-Freeze '14 in the Watermelon Volvo Wagon
Swedish Knievel Skycycle('90 Volvo 740 Wagon)

Re: RUSH, A Ron Howard Film

Yep, most of Team Fiery Death! will be going next weekend.  Can't wait!

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

I look forward to seeing that. Think I'll start dropping hints for a Christmas DVD too...

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

A bunch of us PNWers are planning on seeing it in IMAX next Friday.

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

5 (edited by EastTNLemon 2013-09-20 07:32 AM)

going to see this one for sure thanks for the review

Looks good.