Re: Noise: or, put a muffler on that thing, buddy.

One complaint. How loud is "you're too loud"? 5b is easier to correct than 25db, especially track-side.

*something* both inside our engine and trackside made the beetle go from loud to LOUD, to F-ing LOUD during the course of a few hours Saturday.
I heard it. It was MUCH louder than at the previous two races *that used the exact same setup*
...and I knew we were going to be busted...

But - when engineering a fix for noise, the simple description "you're too loud" does NOTHING to help.

Saying we were over 103 would have helped IMMENSELY - as in I would have known what parts to buy at the LPS, call for or scavenge - or NOT to put the car back on track 'til something major was done.
Saying we were 96 would have resulted in my FIRST (and most passers-by, and track officials, and at least one judges recommendations) method of fix being somewhat effective.
Saying we were 93 - I would have put a flex pipe on and redirected - like a certain snow-machine does.

But - "your too loud" just sucked. Before Saturday you couldn't hear my car a block away in my 'hood -and you CAN hear the neighbor's pit-bike, the harley down the street and the drug-dealer's bass-box-on-wheels. How loud IS loud...

Note:
first fix, a can, much like what the Monaro used.
second fix, cut a piece off my tow vehicle to restrict and redirect.
third fix, after a call out for parts, into LATE Saturday night spendy tubing, a 2" cherry-bomb and a turn-down tip - and plenty of welding.
~There ain't much aft of my engine to put a muffler on that bozos won't hit~

IS THERE ANY WAY WE CAN GET A POSTING OF TRACK-SIDE READINGS? Like next to the time-sheets? Some of the alphabet-soup series do this.

I still have NO IDEA what my readings are, after the "fix".

'sayin

Mike,

Maybe it was just me, but I thought Scrubby was quite a bit louder on Saturday than previous races.  But then it seemed to quiet down a bit either Saturday afternoon or on Sunday.  I'm guessing that was after you made a change to the exhaust.

All that to say that, despite being the same exhaust, it was definitely making more dBs on Saturday.

-Mike

Perennial Losers
Mazda 787b aka '75 914 - Org Choice @ The Ridge, 2015; IGS @ TH, 2018
BMW M1 Procar aka '80 RX-7 (retired) - Zero awards sad

fabtoys wrote:

Hey Greg   so with our tailpipe cut on the mazda we all got Carbon monoxide sickness from pipe not tall enough ..

OOPS  know that for next time.

Sorry about that Chris. I know that is not a pleasant experience.
To have it happen because you help someone else out karmically unfair.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

29 (edited by Deceptor101 2013-09-22 09:57 AM)

Noise was our main problem this race. We've got short headers to a 3" pipe to a single 3" glasspack. That used to be enough, but that was installed 8 races before. From what I hear the glasspacks will blow out after a while (and we just though our car sounded more awesome). Our car dumps out the passenger side just ahead of the rear tire, so while you can barely hear it at the Buttonwillow front straight, it's singing the song of its people while it circles the paddock on the back and front straight. All our fixes were hokey, and mostly worked, but for the next race we'll actually install a real muffler.
I don't think the steel wool we packed in there is a permanent fix....

E: Mike you should have asked John what they were measuring you at. We were told 104, so we knew we had to make some serious changes.

#666 Devil Camaro

If you think your car is going to be an issue, you can always finish off the tailpipe with these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sup-4 … /overview/

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/mediumlarge/sup-444-2503_ml.jpg

If you don't know how SuperTrapp discs work: The more discs you bolt on the end of the muffler the louder it gets, conversely the less you put on the quieter it is. And if you are at a track the doesn't care you can get end caps that can be opened in seconds to let it rip at full song.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

31 (edited by Omnilith 2013-09-23 09:02 AM)

I think Mike's request is pretty reasonable. It is very helpful to know just how bad you are to judge the effort needed for a fix.

It would also be nice if they kept a log of cars near the limit... I'd like to know if we're at 91.9dB

They do this at Laguna Seca where all the rich idiots moved next to a racetrack and then complained about the noise.

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

After reading this discussion last week, my 2.0L Mazda with 2" exhaust got a 3rd 18" glasspack and the exhaust rerouted from exiting in front of the rear passenger tire to out the back like the factory originally routed it.  Our car had been very reasonable at idle and around the paddock.  But, at full song on the track it was a bit obnoxious.  It's very reasonable now even at WOT.  Now, I am worried it will be difficult to hear the motor in traffic, making rev matching more difficult.  I am sure we will manage, at least I am not longer worried about an obnoxiously loud car.

2012 North Dallas Hooptie Judge's Choice Winners
If life gives you Lemons, install racing brakes!
https://www.facebook.com/JoBoRacing

The Festiva failed tech for loud exhaust (among other things) at MSR.  The tech inspector (Evil John, was that you? I don't know all the Lemons people) said our car was "probably too loud" and warned us we may have to quiet it.  This was not terribly helpful, because I have no idea what 92dB sounds like, so I asked if smartphone apps were anywhere near accurate enough, since I had a couple.  He said he had a sound meter that they'd be using during the race to check.  Well, that's also not useful, since I wanted to make sure we didn't have to fix it during the race, so I pressed on how we could check beforehand.  The inspector offered to measure right then and there, and I figured better to fail now than fail on track, so he got the meter and measured 116dB at the tailpipe (like, right behind the car).

We got a performance muffler from Autozone or wherever, put it on, the inspector took one look at it and said "I'm sure that's quiet enough" and didn't need to measure it a second time.  Even after it exploded on track, we didn't get flagged.

So my advice to racers is: check before tech.  Even a smartphone app is better than nothing, and should at least get you a ballpark reading.  Have a plan to replace if necessary.  Even the HP loss from a stock muffler probably costs less time than a mid-race black flag to replace a loud exhaust.

And my humble advice to tech inspectors is: offer to check the cars with loud exhaust at tech.  You're doing us a helpful service if you let us know before green flag that it has to be fixed.  "If you have to ask, it's too loud" means nothing to someone like me who thinks all race cars are loud, and who has no idea where 92dB falls on the loudness scale.  It never occurred to me our car was too loud, and it was WAY over the limit.

Also, the other reasons we failed tech were all for items that have passed half a dozen other tech inspections, and the inspector made some subtly disparaging remarks regarding tech inspections in other parts of the country.  He wasn't being a jerk - just blunt, and helpfully suggested how we could fix all our problems.  So racers, be on notice you may fail tech even though you've passed umpteen dozen times.  Get in line early!

15x+ Loser, thinks he's a Real Racer(tm)
Rotaries are great, everyone should try them.

Reading all this im really hoping our exhaust holds together this time.  We spent most of our last two races patching the z24 cavi's exhaust because it kept killing itself every hour on  the hour.  I think i have it sorted out this time, (without enough muffling i fear) but if that continues we won't be turning many laps during the Halloween Hoopiefest. Im guessing it's way above the limit in good form.  Funny thing was Lemons was cool with us finishing up saturday at Monticello with just two feet worth of pipe coming of the back of our manifold.  It was only 15 minutes of racing but my ears where in pain even with the earpiece plugs and helmet.  We even got chastised by Speedycop  for thinking about packing it in until the exhaust was fixed correctly.

There's no way to get a fully accurate check of the exhaust noise at the tech inspection, even with a decibel-meter, because the car needs to be at full throttle under load. I suppose we could do it if we had a dyno handy, but otherwise all we can do is guess until the car gets on the track.

36 (edited by EriktheAwful 2013-10-03 07:29 AM)

I was out in the Simca/MR2 on Saturday and got black-flagged for noise. We spent an hour cutting off the exhaust tip and installing a Supertrapp, which required repositioning of the exhaust pipe around the motor. I know the Lemons staff wasn't available to sample noise levels during the Friday test & tune, but it would have been nice to get notified then instead of mid-race. The take-away is to attack your noise problem before you get to the track. We weren't expecting a noise inspection and got caught out.

37 (edited by Mulry 2013-10-03 07:28 AM)

EriktheAwful wrote:

The take-away is to attack your noise problem before you get to the track. We weren't expecting a noise inspection and got caught out.

What Erik doesn't know is that we had attacked the noise problem before the race with an iPhone app with the motor at WOT in the driveway. Prior to the at-track modification, we were running a muffler and two resonators. My pre-race testing at home had us under 92dB at 50 feet at WOT, which is the noise limit per the rules. Apparently different atmospheric conditions make a big difference in how sound carries.

My takeaway from this is that you need to get your sound well below the established limit if you do not want to get dinged DURING THE RACE for an exhaust, since apparently there will not be pre-race testing of exhaust volume.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

The enforcement of this rule is the best Lemons news I've heard in a long time.  The volume of a lot of these cars is simply unnecessary.  It's not that hard to put a muffler on your car that quiets it down without robbing horsepower.  We've got a flowmaster on our 350 small block, and from the infield you can't even hear our car running at full bore down the straights.  If our V8 can be that quiet, then there's no reason that anyone needs to be running around with a 4 banger screaming at 105 dB.  It's super annoying to others, and I can't imagine how terrible it must be for the driver of one of our tin can hoopties with an exhaust that loud. 

The only exception to this rule should be for Alfa V6 powered cars.  I'll listen to those things sing their sweet song all day!

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

Yeah, a good rule of thumb is: if it's loud, put a real muffler on it.  It's not that hard to do.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

dculberson wrote:

Yeah, a good rule of thumb is: if it's loud, put a real muffler on it.  It's not that hard to do.

Another rule of thumb is, if its a BMW with typical BMW drivers, its gonna be too loud (excepting Bucksnort wink

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

I've been contemplating this since New Jersey, I need to know what yinz guys think about the Gremlin? Is it too loud, should I make it quieter? It's not as easy as it has 6 exhaust pipes, each has it's own glasspack style muffler.

It Ain't My Fault

At Monticello the Gremlin was pretty damn loud, probably one of the 10 loudest in that race.   I haven't heard it since then to comment.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

We tested our cars to about 20' with the smart phone app, finding our cars to pass the 92db even there, full throttle and wound up under load. Consequently, people were commenting on the fact that our cars were so quiet that they can barely hear them.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

The cars that are too loud are pretty obvious after a few minutes at any of our tracks. If your car makes a lot more noise than most of the others out there, just assume that it's too loud and make it quieter before the next race. Mufflers are cheap, and (contrary to the conventional wisdom of dentally challenged Camaro drag racers in Fresno) don't steal any significant real-world power. Yes, some cars have limited space for safe exhaust systems… which means that you want to solve the problem before the race, not during it.

There has been incredibly dramatic butthurt over the enforcement of excessive-noise issues lately (actually, two-thirds of the teams that get flagged for excessive noise just go ahead and try to fix the problem, while the other third melts down like Fukushima), and the common theme of nearly all of the butthurt is that it is the organizers' fault when your car is too loud. We disagree.

Testing in a driveway won't nessesarily tell the whole story. Sound levels change with engine load as well as throttle position. So even if you're under in the driveway at WOT, you might not be under load.

Thankfully our car is quiet.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

EriktheAwful wrote:

. My pre-race testing at home had us under 92dB at 50 feet at WOT, which is the noise limit per the rules. Apparently different atmospheric conditions make a big difference in how sound carries.

Atmospheric and pitch affect the dB readings a lot.

The same exhaust on a cooler day will definitely be "louder."
So, if you passed at a summer race, you may not pass at a spring or fall race.

I think we should all switch to stacks that end about 3' above the roof line, or this...
http://cdn.crankandpiston.com/brain/media/2012/06/CP-Bosozoku-5.jpg

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

can we run exhaust like that ? That would be awesome!

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Red Lemons Racing wrote:

We run a cheap Thrush as well.  28 bucks.

Is this what you are talking about?   

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17703/overview/

Not that the spitfire is "loud" but really is not quiet..  Don't want to be playing games in December at Sonoma with the Sat morning, ample time,  calm tech situation.

5x loser - and just all around not very good
My Crappy Blog
Former Sex Pistons Craptain
And it feels so funny, like bathing in honey...

socal.colin wrote:
Red Lemons Racing wrote:

Not that the spitfire is "loud" but really is not quiet..  Don't want to be playing games in December at Sonoma with the Sat morning, ample time,  calm tech situation.

no it looks like a cherry bomb but thrush makes it.

socal.colin wrote:
Red Lemons Racing wrote:

I used that on the CRX and it was very good.  Quiet and still had a rumble.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.