Topic: active aero project

I've had this idea kicking around my head for almost a year now, and I finally started to jump in last night. I want to build an actively controlled split rear wing, much like the AeroMotions S2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7l70Q6P-vU

First things first, I'm not doing this because I think i'm reinventing the wheel and creating something new. I'm doing this because I think it will be a fun project to teach me basic programming and controls. I also expect almost zero performance gains on the car, but it should be entertaining to watch operate.

Basic idea i'm starting with. System is controlled by an Arduino Uno. I'll be using throttle position, brake pressure, and steering position as my inputs. Outputs are the two motors driving the rear wing pieces. Basic operating principle is the following. At WOT with the steering straight, the wing lays down flat to reduce drag. Under braking with the steering straight the wing stands up to act as an aero brake. Under cornering the inside half is raised to add downforce to the inside of the car.

I'm literally just starting. Bought the Arduino last night, and so far i've managed to get it to read the TPS, and convert to a percentage. I also hooked up a basic push button switch to simulate the brake switch so that I can start trying to figure out the logic for setting wing angle with more than one input. Tonight i'm trying to get it reading a potentiometer to simulate steering angle. The coding for all of this is where i'm going to get the most hung up, but that's the point, I want to learn how to do it.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1269588_722463555372_1248429654_o.jpg

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Re: active aero project

Let's focus on the important part: they sell Sam Adams in a can?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Consider integrating an accelerometer chip.  That gives you some good additional information.  I have been playing with one I found for cheap on ebay.

Mulry wrote:

Yep, just started to.  It's better than bottles.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Personally, I rather enjoyed the bowling ball pendulum/garage door springs solution.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

Personally, I rather enjoyed the bowling ball pendulum/garage door springs solution.

I do love that method for the shear ingenuity of it. But I'm doing this to make myself learn some programming and controls, so i'm going the fancy route.

If I get this working with just the inputs from steering, brakes, and throttle i'll consider adding the accelerometer. That will just be the next step.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

ppressle wrote:

Consider integrating an accelerometer chip.  That gives you some good additional information.  I have been playing with one I found for cheap on ebay.

Yeah definitely! Also might consider using Race Capture Pro. Price will be a bit steeper than Arduino + eBay components, but you get tons of other stuff for free (telemetry).

Hella Shitty Racing -- Premium Crapcan Racing since 2010!
- VOTE FORD
- Ferdinand the Bug (2x class C, 1x class B, IoE)
- Ferkel the Nein-11 (Org Choice, class C, Heroic Fix)

You may have noticed the active wing our 300zx at past races. The  first iteration of the wing had roll and pitch actuation controlled by a microcontroller tied in to the brakes and a 3 axis accelerometer.  We very quickly found we didn't want the wing position to be out of the control of the driver. We later tried just brake pedal control (with a time delay release), but in the end what we really wanted as drivers and what worked best was just a button on the steering wheel.

Also keep in mind the danger of suddenly losing downforce. We had a wing actuator failure in practice at one point (the wing didn't return to high AOA after a straight) and the driver spun off track almost immediately. If you are mid turn and there is a sensor failure, coding error,etc. that causes the wing to suddenly go to low AOA you might end up in the wall.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Zm1xpbb4yuA/UkB6PSYbYFI/AAAAAAAABE8/yyPSd8GLL-c/s800/IMG_4557.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-CiAPVinET6s/UPV_zmHw_hI/AAAAAAAAAKQ/oVPZOoEUZQ8/s800/IMG_0424.jpg

Team Rust in The Wind #301
1987 Nissan 300zx 2.3L Saab Turbo
https://www.facebook.com/RustinTheWind24HOL

I have noticed the one on the 300zx, just never got around to asking you guys how it was setup.

I'm not expecting this to really add anything performance wise to the car. But the warning is a good one none the less.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Has anyone done significant undercar aero yet.  IE IMSA GTP or FIA Group C style?

I think anything more complicated than a simple ON/OFF air brake has got epic fail written all over it.  I salute you.  S/F....Ken M

I'd do a brake switch and a WOT switch. Full up when brakes are on, full flat when WOT (use a stiff button out of a Mercedes or something for it, one you have to overpower, so you can go almost wot in a turn and still have the wing up), and max downforce position when in a turn.

K Car Stalker

The split wing kinda seems like a waste.  Why wouldn't you have both of them producing downforce in the turn?  The outside wheel would benefit from the additional downforce as well.

I think it would be way cooler if the wing tilted  in roll to provide directed downforce.  That way you use the full capability of the wing and direct the downforce to the inside wheel.

Our wing is entirely passive.  It has an air spring that acts as a mechanical fuse to dump overproduction of downforce on the straights.  Not as efficient as actively pulling/pushing the wing down/up, but no driver intervention is required.  I've played with the idea of a controlled system, but I'd have to move the pivot points as the current forces to move the wing would require too much work for most little motors (200+lb moved 10" at every corner).

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

There is some merit to the split wing. See the new pagani huayra that does something similar. The outside half of the wing doesn't go into low drag mode in corners, it stays at it's normal setting, providing downforce. Raising the inside half serves to provide some counter to body roll by increasing downforce on that side of the car.

But again, I expect literally zero performance benefit from this. It's just a science project to get me to learn new things.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

I played with making a similar system for our first race. Since I only have two positions (low AoA and high AoA) for each of the wings, I found I didn't even need an accelerometer to pull relevant data -- a tilt sensor would work just as effectively.

The code seemed to work pretty reliability but my problem was finding a cost effective way to actuate the rear wings. My setup used borrowed miata headlamp motors but since they weren't step motors, there was a bit of trickiness in programming them to "transition" from low to high AOA.
The biggest issue was that I used two cables routed through a pulley system to actuate the wings.... and those pulleys had a tendency to bind up. We ended up shelving the system at our first driver change -- along with the entire trunklid to save weight.

I suspect I'll play with a similar system again but I like ST's comment about having an air spring is pretty cool.
-g

PS. We never actually went fast enough for the wing to have any effect.

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

So it's kind of working. Something is screwy though, because it seems to disconnect and reconnect to the computer about every time it goes through the main loop. I'm sure i'm just being stupid. But it's actually working. I have a basic servo motor hooked up and it's responding as I request when I meet the conditions.

I'm using a real throttle body, a push button to simulate brake pressure switch, and a potentiometer to simulate steering. I have a half second delay built into the end of the loop to try and keep the serial readout on the computer screen readable.

The below is written in whatever language arduino uses in their standard program. And for anyone that actually does coding, I apologize now for what i'm sure are some serious flaws in structure and approach. I'm sure there is a much better way to do this than a bunch of if loops, but it's just how I started. Wing angles are arbitrary.

Active_Aero 
*/
#include <Servo.h>

// create servo object to control a servo
Servo wing1;   
//variable declaration
int led = 13;
int wing;
int throttle;
int brake;
int steer;
int thottleThresh = 90;

// the setup routine runs once when you press reset:
void setup() {
  //LED setup and on, because I can
  pinMode(led, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(led, HIGH);
  // attaches the servo on pin 9 to the servo object
  wing1.attach(9); 
  // initialize serial communication at 9600 bits per second:
  Serial.begin(9600);

}

// the loop routine runs over and over again forever:
void loop() {
  // read the input on analog pin 0 (Throttle Position):
  throttle = analogRead(A0);
  // read the input on analog pin 1 (Brake pressure);
  brake = analogRead(A1);
  // read the input on analog pin 2 (Steering Possition);
  steer = analogRead(A2);

// Convert the analog reading (which goes from 0 - 1023) to a voltage (0 - 5V):
  // Throttle
  float throttlePos = ((4.4 - (throttle * (5.0 / 1023.0))) / (4.4 - 1.3))*100;
  // Brake
  float brakePres = (brake * (5.0 / 1023.0));
  // Steering
  float SteeringPos = (steer * (5.0 / 1023.0));

// controling rear wing
  // change wing if throttle goes high and steering straight
  if ((throttlePos > thottleThresh) && (2 < SteeringPos < 3)) {
    wing1.write(0);
  }
  //air brake if steering straight and brakes go high
  else if ((2 < SteeringPos < 3) && (brakePres > 4.9)) {
    wing1.write(180);
  }
  //lift wing if turning
  else if ((brakePres < 4.9) && (SteeringPos > 3)) {
    wing1.write(80);
  }
  else {
    wing1.write(40);
  }

// print out the value you read:
  Serial.println("Brake");
  Serial.println(brakePres);
  Serial.println("Wing");
  Serial.println(wing);
  Serial.println("throttle");
  Serial.println(throttlePos);
  Serial.println("steer");
  Serial.println(SteeringPos);
  delay(500);
}

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

More of something on a Lemons level . . .

http://youtu.be/2qX6tFi94W8

some homework reveals that my disconnect/reconnect issues might be the servo sucking too much power and resetting the board. I either need to throw a capacitor between the 5V rail and the servo, or power the servo via an external power supply. Will investigate.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

18 (edited by firegremlin 2013-09-23 06:19 PM)

BTW, you want different wing settings for straight line, braking, and turning. Straight line is, um, straight, turning needs max negative CL, and for braking I'd stall the wing at like 90 degree angle of attack to increase resistance unless you also have braking balance issues due to front aero.

Speaking of braking balance, it would probably help to experiment with braking at different speeds to find a good curve. If using servos, I'd think you'll have varying optimal angle of attack at different speeds and deceleration, as the car changes attitude. This could be a rather interesting project, actually.

K Car Stalker

TheEngineer wrote:

some homework reveals that my disconnect/reconnect issues might be the servo sucking too much power and resetting the board.

Ah, so you're one of THOSE engineers.  wink

If you're sending any signals directly into your microprocessor, or sourcing any outputs directly, you're doing it wrong.  Your servos should be running from their own power supply, separated from the processor's supply by at least some sort of regulator if not a switching circuit.

If you need some tips send me an email.  I've done a bit of analog work in college, including a couple robotics projects.

davisriley wrote:
Mulry wrote:

Ok, we need to talk.

papal_smear wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

some homework reveals that my disconnect/reconnect issues might be the servo sucking too much power and resetting the board.

Ah, so you're one of THOSE engineers.  wink

If you're sending any signals directly into your microprocessor, or sourcing any outputs directly, you're doing it wrong.  Your servos should be running from their own power supply, separated from the processor's supply by at least some sort of regulator if not a switching circuit.

If you need some tips send me an email.  I've done a bit of analog work in college, including a couple robotics projects.

I'm a mechanical engineer who has limited electrical experience, and zero programming experience.

I'm entirely new to the arduino, and since the servo motor was advertised as for an arduino I just assumed that it would be ok to run on the provided 5V line. I especially thought it was ok after one of the servo examples I found had you plugging it in just as I had. But I realized that the example asking for the servo to slowly move in a couple degree increments was far different than me asking it to rapidly move from one position to another. But lesson learned. I'll be changing the setup tonight.

I also need to figure out exactly what kind of motor the headlight motors are, and how to control them.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

foompla wrote:
davisriley wrote:
Mulry wrote:

Ok, we need to talk.

And yes, Sam started doing cans this summer. They're only canning the seasonal beers and Boston Lager. I can't detect any difference in the beer, but cans are much more convenient to deal with.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

You could always do it like the original masters did with a clutch pedal controlling the wing with a auto Trans  in the car. Someone so needs to make a sucker car

24 (edited by st_rage 2013-09-24 06:46 AM)

3pe wrote:

You could always do it like the original masters did with a clutch pedal controlling the wing with a auto Trans  in the car. Someone so needs to make a sucker car

We built one, but they wouldn't let us race with the skirt hanging perilously close to the wheels and an accessory fan engine that leaked fuel.  It generated about 400 lb of downforce (not including the 500 lb we got from the weight of the thing), but could have gone to 1100 lb if we could have plumbed it better.  The wing is much lighter.

I've thought about reviving the project, but I'm pretty sure all of my teammates would abandon me.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

ppressle wrote:

Consider returning Arduino and buying STM32F4Discovery with build-in accelerometer chip.

Oh, consider simplifying your design and using GPS data instead smile