1 (edited by magnusracing 2009-11-26 11:43 AM)

Topic: Ok JUDGES - Who owes Who a Toaster? Porsche 928 VS Mercedes S600

Before the race my crew cheif, "Pendejo", and "Icemang17" of the 928 team made some kind of vague bet about which car would:

A) Last the longest
B) Have the highest value adjusted for inflation based on original MSRP

As you know our S600 can't be beat for "B" with an MSRP of $135K in 1995 ($200K adjusted for inflation).

However "A" has been the source of some contention. "Pendejo" insists that the S600 wins "A" since althought it missed 4 hours of racing on Saturday due to the "Heroic Fix" coolant hose repair it did run all day Sunday and took the checkered flag. It never permanently broke and finished the race. On the other hand "Icemang17" insists his 928 wins "A" since he actually completed more laps than the S600 despite breaking permanently on Sunday and not taking the checkered flag.

So, Judges (and others who care to express an opinion) who wins this one? I think we have four options:

1) 928 owes S600 a Toaster
2) S600 owes 928 a Toaster
3) Nobody owes anyone a toaster
4) Both teams have to buy eachother a toaster

For you lawyer types here is the text of the somewhat vague original bet:

icemang17 wrote:

how about a side wager.....which electrical nightmare goes the longest (assuming they both start) before dying?? 
The Jag or 928???

Pendejo wrote:

Your on! But read carefully! Jag is not coming! But car with 9 ECM's is!

icemang17 wrote:

So what are you bringing...it does sound electrically challenged like the 928...so it should be a fair fight......
but what shall we wager......  hmmmm  something "electrical"....

Pendejo wrote:

We either wager pinks or a toaster. I am hoping the toaster because we know it will work.
As far as what we are bringing that remains a hush hush subject but you will know it when you see it. all 4800 lbs of it..

icemang17 wrote:

OKay you have a BET......BUT it has to work like this......if the 928 lasts longer...then you have to buy me a GERMAN toaster......if the Jag lasts longer then I have to buy you a BRITISH toaster.........since a simple chinese one would be too easy and actually work....  how does that sound?

Pendejo wrote:

Sounds like i am gonna get a toaster!!!  You are going to lose on two counts. Yours will die before ours and you are going to lose the most devalued Lemons car ever. I know it is harsh but i have a craigslist addict on my side who is on that like a day trader on a penny stock.

icemang17 wrote:

ITS ON.......................to make your life "easier" I will settle for a Bosch toaster...

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

Re: Ok JUDGES - Who owes Who a Toaster? Porsche 928 VS Mercedes S600

Sounds like yours died first...that you fixed it and took the checker does not make you the winner in this IMO.  If that were the yardstick, I could park my car until the last half hour and should be declared the winner of the race if I run some fast laps and take the checker.

If I understand the wager, though, you won one part and they won the other.  Call it a draw or exchange German toasters.

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

3 (edited by magnusracing 2009-11-26 11:38 AM)

Hmmm... good point... but here is what the 928 team said:

"if the 928 lasts longer...then you have to buy me a GERMAN toaster......if the Jag lasts longer then I have to buy you a BRITISH toaster"

So what really defines "lasts longer"? The one that temporarily broke first but then was fixed and continued to race? Or the one that broke later but for good?

PS - I did not have "sexual relations" with that intern

I say a German toaster is owed to Zee Germans, they made it long before exploding and completed more laps.

5 (edited by magnusracing 2009-11-26 12:20 PM)

Hmmm... not looking good for the S600... even my lawyer minded girlfriend thinks we lost... guess we'll have to wait on what one of the judges thinks...

lets clarify things.....the V12 electrical nightmare Benz was down for 5 hours on Saturday due to the nightmare radiator hose repair.....the 928 missed about 2.5 hours on Sunday when it got rod bearing issues....... 

The 928 completed 195 laps for 71st place
The Benz completed around 160 laps (not sure of final position or exact laps)

So the electrical nightmare 928 that is 11 years OLDER than the Benz did complete more laps which covered more distance on track

But clearly this is a point that can be argued either way......so in the "spirit" of Lemons here is what I purpose (as a party to said bet)

I will install a functional Bosch Toaster in the 928 "estate" for the next race.....and you install a functional toaster in your next racer....we will each share "toast" and then give each other a toaster...... (I prefer bagels over toast :>)

Sound fair?

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

hmmm... sounds reasonable to me... although a toaster draws a lot of power and actually getting it to function properly on a car battery might be challenging... your next race will be Infineon, correct?

Hmmm... It sounds like this can only be settled one way. A winner take all toaster race.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

magnusracing wrote:

hmmm... sounds reasonable to me... although a toaster draws a lot of power and actually getting it to function properly on a car battery might be challenging... your next race will be Infineon, correct?

Naw it won't be that hard...just wire a power inverter of sufficient size to run it.....then pull it before the race......  Sure it might draw 2000watts or 140 amps @ 12V for a minute or so...but just add a second battery just for the toaster....again then take it out...

We will be at Infineon....

OR as others have purposed.....we can agree on round 2 at infineon where the Jag can step in for the Benz and the toaster bet continues by the higher actual finishing place....so if we both have horrible luck and end up 150th and 149th...then 149th wins and gets a toaster.....

Either option works for me......

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Even my lawyer minded girlfriend thinks we lost... (quote)

That counts for a below zero comment and you can be banned from the team for using the word LAWYER on this forum in case you have not been reading any posts on this forum lately.

Simple-
If it was stated, "Whichever lasts longer."
-The S600 loses on two points;
    A) It failed before the Porsche(cannot dismiss the time the Porsche was on           
        the track running even though you eventually fixed the problem).-More Time
    B) The Porsche completed more laps(therefore more time) and in the time
         taken to fix the S600 it was way too far back on lap count to catch the lap
         count of the Porsche. -More Time

Toaster to the Strudel eaters.

Ball Swinging award goes to S600.  Can't believe that car was brought.  WOW!!!

Well... I guess the amazing thing is that neither car ended up having an electrical failure as predicted. The 928 charged around the track (quite quickly I might add) until the motor wore out and the S600 cruised sedately around and around except for the failed coolant hose incident.

Winner-take-all toaster race at Infenion with the following rules:

Whoever can make the most toast ON TRACK, wins. Toast will be defined as white bread with visible browning in the non-crustal area.

Loser has to eat all the winner's toast.

Shit, I should be a lawyer...

Eyesoreracing wrote:

Winner-take-all toaster race at Infenion with the following rules:

Whoever can make the most toast ON TRACK, wins. Toast will be defined as white bread with visible browning in the non-crustal area.

Loser has to eat all the winner's toast.

Shit, I should be a lawyer...

Hahahaha!  Seconded.

In my mind, if the car doesn't take the checkered flag, it didn't "last longest."

-Matt

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

15 (edited by Evil Genius 2009-11-26 02:30 PM)

The 928 could have gone out on the last lap and 'finished' the race like lots of other teams.  But that smacks of bad taste....

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Simple-
If it was stated, "Whichever lasts longer."
-The S600 loses on two points;
    A) It failed before the Porsche(cannot dismiss the time the Porsche was on           
        the track running even though you eventually fixed the problem).-More Time
    B) The Porsche completed more laps(therefore more time) and in the time
         taken to fix the S600 it was way too far back on lap count to catch the lap
         count of the Porsche. -More Time

Toaster to the Strudel eaters (quote)

It was stated A whichever has been devalued the the most. S600 wins there by almost twice as much
                   B whichever stays running the longest.

B is the point of discussion. If we go by the #'s that are roughly available the Porsche did 195 laps at 2.19 (best lap time) The S600 did (around) 160 laps at 2.34 per lap so the Porsche did 2.19x195=427.05 minutes and the S600 did 2.34x160=374.4 a difference of 52.65 minutes after a 5.5 hour repair for the S600 and a few black flags for the porsche and a non repaired break at the end. Surprisingly close.

In the end I agree with Icemang17 and we should race and swap toasters at infinion.

We both did good jobs of getting known nightmares on the track with him fighting oil leak issues and us with a two dollar piece of hose buried 6ft down.

I honestly have no idea how we pulled off a 2.34 lap in that beast.

Pendejo Maximo

I think each team must give the other team a French toaster!

Our car had the 'secret Hot Pocket mod'.

Trumps anything coming out of a toaster.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

MurileeMartin wrote:

I think each team must give the other team a French toaster!

But don't you make French toast in a pan?

I could have used a serving of French Toast during my 2.5 hour Sunday afternoon stint.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

They do actually make toasters in France. However I doubt that you can make French toast in one more than once or twice...

http://www.kitchenkapers.com/rowenta-mo … aster.html

Whoa... that's a fancy toaster. We could buy a Lemons car instead of a pair of those! Maybe we should make eachother toasters out of junk parks in the spirit of lemson. Maybe portable propane torch powered toasters that would work well at a track?

magnusracing wrote:

Whoa... that's a fancy toaster. We could buy a Lemons car instead of a pair of those! Maybe we should make eachother toasters out of junk parks in the spirit of lemson. Maybe portable propane torch powered toasters that would work well at a track?

WOW thats a pricey toaster that will probably only make 1 set of toast!!!!

I'm also quite proud that our 928 lasted as long as it did....given the time crunch building it and little testing beforehand.  We WILL be back!!  hopefully with less leaks

I'm also proud of the S600.....cool car totally in the spirit of Lemons..I hope Jay keeps it and uses it as a "pace" car in future races...its just too cool  2:34 in that 5000+lb beast is also quite impressive....and the drivers were VERY courteous on track....after reviewing our videos..the benz was always aware of other drivers and gave ample room to pass....

Its also quite cool that our admittedly electrically challenged vehicles completed 356 laps with ZERO electrical issues...not a single ONE....  yes the benz had that one hose issue and the 928 hates oil so much it spit it everywhere, ultimately leading to its demise.....but the 9 ECU's in the benz and 8 million relays-fuses-feet of ALL GRAY wire in the 928 made it.....

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

24 (edited by magnusracing 2009-11-27 05:34 PM)

icemang17 wrote:

I'm also quite proud that our 928 lasted as long as it did....

I'm especially surprised it lastest as long as it did because you guys were really hoofing it around that track. In all honesty when we saw how hard you were driving the poor thing we were SURE you'd break and we would win the toaster... you surprised us all.

And yes... we were trying to stay out of everyones way as much as possible in the Benz and were looking in our mirrors a LOT... I didn't want to see what would happen in an S600 vs. Geo Metro crash for example... but more imporantly we didn't want paint from one of the other lowly scrap heaps marring out superior german luxo cruiser wink

#1. The 928 boys should be out Black Friday shopping for toasters, cause where I come from a DNF is not lasting long enough.  Just ask the 928 guy's wives! yikes